Start by marking “Majesty's Rancho” as Want to Read:
Majesty's Rancho

Majesty's Rancho

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
After Lance Sidway comes to beautiful Madge Stewart's defense and ends up on the wrong side of the law, he escapes to Arizona and finds work on her father's ranch. Madge is kidnapped by a gang of cattle rustlers, and Sidway must intervene once again to save her life--even at the cost of his own.
Published 1966 by Walter J. Black, Inc. (first published 1937)

Debbie Zapata
Jun 04, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it it was ok
Shelves: douglas
I like Zane Grey. Yes, I know he wrote 'purple prose' and was not very accurate with his geographical details, but his stories are captivating and usually fun to read. So I was looking forward to Majesty's Rancho, one of many Grey titles I have not yet read.

Our hero Lance Sidway is in Hollywood with his horse Umpqua, who stars in cowboy movies (Lance will sometimes double as the cowboy star, but it is the horse who is the wage earner here). Lance and Umpqua are originally from Oregon but his sis
Jane
Majesty's Rancho was okay but not one of the best books by Zane Grey I've read. I think his earlier books are better than his later ones, and this one was hampered by the fact that it's a sequel of sorts to The Light of the Western Stars, which I haven't read. Majesty's Rancho was published 24 years later and is about the daughter of the romantic pair from the first book.

Also, for some reason I have more trouble with the racism in books written in the 1930s than I do in books written at the begi
Lisa
Apr 04, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
The sequel to Light of the Western Stars, a wonderful romance and fun Western adventure that made me miss the wide open spaces of home.
Christine
May 02, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it enough, except I thought that Madge was too overdone/exaggerated. Also, I couldn't get over the fact that this was over 25 years later than the first book! Gene Stewart, Nels, Danny Mains, everyone, 25-30 years older than before...! Young Bonita got my attention from the first. I wonder if Ren Starr was one of the original cowboys of Her Majesty's Rancho? And the name of this book doesn't fit well.
Catherine
Aug 20, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Majesty's Rancho is the sequel to The Light of Western Stars, both by Zane Grey. While I felt that the latter left me unsatisfied, after reading Majesty's Rancho, I felt complete.

The story picks up 20 years later and centers on Majesty and Gene's only daughter, Madge. Madge is at college and is a frivolous flirt and a big spender. Her antics bring on trouble and without fail, a ruggedly handsome cowboy is always there to help bail her out. And Grey gives us plenty of action in their love/hate re
Tina Yoder
Dec 28, 2012 Tina Yoder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to Light of the Western Stars we meet the next generation at the ranch. It is wild with college age fun and a mix of gangsters meeting the old west. I love this book as a wonderful (clean) romantic western.
While still frustrated at the ending to Light of the Western Stars, this book eases a few of the questions it left hanging and it was nice to be with old friends Gene and Majesty.
A sidenote- there are racial slang terms that are not appropriate in our day and age, but are an ho
Sara
Mar 15, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
I first discovered this book (and the whole western genre) in 8th grade, when I read it for my social studies class. (It counted because it was set in Arizona) I have probably read it 7-8 times since, and recently rediscovered it. Just enjoyable. So interesting time-wise, since it was written in 1937. So glad I have my own copy.
Data
Not too bad - but this one quote amazes me: "He held up a pregnant hand." Now why do I have pictures of a flock of little baby hands?
As usual, the horse Umpqua, is the best character in the story. OK, just kidding.
This is a love story, like most of Grey's books, set in the "modern" world of the 1930's.
Claudine
May 11, 2012 Claudine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is part 2 if light of the western stars
Brenda
I know I enjoyed it, but can't remember.......
Iris Engel
Iris Engel rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
LeeRae Ball
LeeRae Ball marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Phillip Akers
Phillip Akers rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
David.Salisbury
David.Salisbury rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Lyn
Lyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
BTM
BTM rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Tricia Lenhart
Tricia Lenhart marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Betty Rose Butcher
Betty Rose Butcher rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
RACHEL
RACHEL rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Beena
Beena marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 02, 2016
Joe Cisneros
Joe Cisneros rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
A R
A R added it
Feb 29, 2016
Stari Sunovrat
Stari Sunovrat rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Simo Petrović
Simo Petrović rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
  • Love Conspiracy
  • Lord Harry (Regency, #5)
  • Lie to Me
  • Ruthless Boss, Royal Mistress (The Royal House of Karedes #7)
  • Charming Grace
  • Enduring Light (Borrowed Light #2)
  • Adopted: Outback Baby
  • Miss Davenport's Christmas
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • The Monster Men
  • Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • The Shadow  Riders
  • Bread Givers
  • Emily and Colin’s Wedding: A Tears of Pearl Prequel Story  (Lady Emily, #3.5)
  • The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice: A Modern Love Story with a Jane Austen Twist (The Woods Hole Quartet #1)
  • Lehrer verhexen? Kein Problem! (No Jungs! Zutritt nur für Hexen, #4)
  • Power Play (New York Blades, #7)
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...