Start by marking “Sol, Piedra y Sombras: Veinte Cuentistas Mexicanos de la Primera Mitad del Siglo XX” as Want to Read:

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Quizá la literatura es el mejor paisaje de México, el que contiene su pasado y su presente, los variados colores de su ancha geografía y revela los perfiles de su imaginación y su memoria. El cuento corto en particular es quizá la ventana más inmediata, el espejo más entrañable de todo lo mexicano. La presente antología reúne veinte relatos de extraordinaria calidad, firma...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Fondo de Cultura Economica (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sol, Piedra y Sombras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sol, Piedra y Sombras

Sue
What an unusual book. Most of the stories were hard to get my head around . . . I'd finish reading and think "huh?" I have the feeling that I missed a lot, that the stories are deep and meaningful and I just didn't get it. This book would be good to explore in class, with an instructor who's familiar with Mexican literature and the surrealist movement.
Ricardo
Una antología que sin duda reúne escritores muy emblemáticos de nuestro país. Es difícil juzgar la calidad dela antología como conjunto sin sesgar la opinión de uno mismo con nombres tan apabullantes como Carlos Fuentes, Elena Garro, Juan Rulfo, Octavio Paz (me detengo aquí porque tendría que mencionar a la mayoría de los escritores antologados que conocía de antemano). Es por esto que me limito a decir que cada relato tiene en cierto nivel, plasmada la esencia de nuestra cultura. Aunque no pode...more
Lawrence Lihosit
This unusual anthology of translated Mexican short stories has nothing to do with launching or advancing a career since each of the authors is already renowned (many worldwide). According to the editor, this book bares Mexico’s soul. In particular, he has narrowed the twenty pieces to authors born just before, during or immediately following the Mexican Revolution, “the best Mexican literature published during the first half of the twentieth century.”

Divided into five sections, the pieces illust...more
Kecia
Holy Guacamole! What a disappointment. But I'll give these stories the benefit of the doubt and assume that they simply suffered in translation.

The book opens with a bang but then fizzles. The first story My Life with the Wave by Octavio Paz is a real jewel. Perhaps that was the problem, it is so good that the other stories pale by comparison. Maybe I would have liked them better had the first story been placed elsewhere in the collection. It is worth picking up this book for this story alone. I...more
HeavyReader
What I took away from this book was that Mexican writers are really into magic and the supernatural and having weird shit happen in their stories. Even the stories that weren't supposed to be supernatural had supernatural elements.

I wouldn't say I particularly enjoyed any of these stories, but I'm glad I read them. I feel like a now have a tiny understanding of Mexican fiction.
Liliana
I also read this one in the original Spanish. These two books are part of the Big Read program, a national level NEA sponsored reading program which chose a book by Mexican writers and made available both anthologies in English and Spanish. Nice selection, but only 3 women. Both books published by the Fondo de Cultura Económica. I was part of this program in Austin, where I did a bilingual reading with Cristina García, then visited classes at ACC and at the Ann Richards School for Young Women Le...more
Toby
The Big Read choice for Boundless Readers (formerly Rochelle Lee fund) in partnership with Chicago Public Schools and National-Louis University, at first I wished for Edgar Allan Poe instead. And yet after reading, and in some cases rereading these 20 stories by Mexican authors born after the Revolution, I have come to appreciate their cultural authenticity, and am glad I've read outside my comfort zone.
Janine
Wonderful collection of mexican short stories including some from my favorite authors such as Juan Rulfo y José Emilio Pacheco. Be ready for some Magic Realism y some irrealidad fantástica, some stories are a bit obscure, others take you into the heart of Mexico, especially the country y la vida cotidiana. At the end you will find some brief info about each author and the story presented.
Sherry (sethurner)
I read this collection of short stories by Mexican authors for our local Big Read. There's something for everyone here, from stories filled with magical realism, to those a bit more straightforward. My library had support materials that I wish had been included in the text.
Gabriel
Read two stories from this collection in my sophomore year of high school, "My Life with the Wave" by Octavio Paz and "The Night of Margaret Rose" by Francisco Tario, which were so good that I now want to read all the Mexican fiction I can get my hands on.
I read this as part of the NEA's Big Read, and am hosting a neighborhood discussion of it. It was good to read something I wouldn't otherwise have picked up. The dearth of female authors, though, was appalling.
Armando
el libro contiene veinte cuentos cortos de escritores mexicanos. unos mejores que otros para mi gusto pero que cubren diferentes temas. una buena coleccion para cualquier persona que le interesa la literatura mexicana.
Olivia Arrow
Some are great, some kind of drag, maybe that's why this is taking forever to read. Until I have another urge to finish this is off my "currently reading" list...
Christianne
stories with potential teen appeal:

Chac-Mool by Fuentes
The Carnival of Bullets by Guzman
Permission Granted by Valades
August Afternoon by Pacheco
Oceanna
Not really done with it, just with what we've had to read in school :P
Colleen
Didn't make much sense, to twisted of stories. Couldn't finish it
Donovan
I haven't read all of it: we are reading it at school.
Tazy
Creo que "Chac Mool" es mi cuento mexicano favorito.
Kim
The short stories really make you think!
Maryann
I did not enjoy this book.
Janice
Mar 10, 2010 Janice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
triton college (IL)
Javier Villaseñor
Javier Villaseñor marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Marlen
Marlen marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tracey
Tracey added it
Sep 04, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
La Emperatriz de Lavapies Un montón de piedras Requiem Para un Angel El Algebra del Misterio Milonga para una intrusa