Start by marking “Sol, Piedra y Sombras: Veinte Cuentistas Mexicanos de la Primera Mitad del Siglo XX” as Want to Read:

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Quizá la literatura es el mejor paisaje de México, el que contiene su pasado y su presente, los variados colores de su ancha geografía y revela los perfiles de su imaginación y su memoria. El cuento corto en particular es quizá la ventana más inmediata, el espejo más entrañable de todo lo mexicano. La presente antología reúne veinte relatos de extraordinaria calidad, firma ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Fondo de Cultura Economica (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sol, Piedra y Sombras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sol, Piedra y Sombras

Tonymess
Jul 14, 2016 Tonymess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the cover suggests this collection is made up of twenty short stories, which have been chosen using the following criteria; Born in Mexico and before 1939 and published in the first half of the twentieth century. As per most translated fiction it is, yet again, disappointing that the female representation is low, with only three stories of the twenty being written by women, this collection even falls below the 30% average for women in translation!!! On the positive side, however, is the fact ...more
Jane
Sun, Stone, and Shadows: 20 Great Mexican Short Stories, edited by Jorge F. Hernández, is this year’s Big Read title for the Galesburg Public Library (Illinois). We will be focusing on a few of the stories in discussions that will take place in April 2016.

Like most story anthologies, Sun, Stone, and Shadows contained stories I admired, stories I didn’t necessarily enjoy but that I’m still thinking about, stories I thought were lame, and stories I just did not get.

The stories are grouped into fiv
Sue
What an unusual book. Most of the stories were hard to get my head around . . . I'd finish reading and think "huh?" I have the feeling that I missed a lot, that the stories are deep and meaningful and I just didn't get it. This book would be good to explore in class, with an instructor who's familiar with Mexican literature and the surrealist movement.
Melinda
This is Galesburg Public Library's Big Read selection for 2016. As with a number of Big Read selections we've done in the past, I would never have picked this book up on my own but I'm really glad I read it. There were stories I really liked -- "The Switchman" made me laugh out loud, and I was drawn in to "The Night of Margaret Rose," "The Medicine Man," and The Dinner." There were also a couple that I couldn't stand, both of them in "The Unexpected in Everyday Urban Life" section. In particular ...more
Lawrence Lihosit
This unusual anthology of translated Mexican short stories has nothing to do with launching or advancing a career since each of the authors is already renowned (many worldwide). According to the editor, this book bares Mexico’s soul. In particular, he has narrowed the twenty pieces to authors born just before, during or immediately following the Mexican Revolution, “the best Mexican literature published during the first half of the twentieth century.”

Divided into five sections, the pieces illust
Kecia
Holy Guacamole! What a disappointment. But I'll give these stories the benefit of the doubt and assume that they simply suffered in translation.

The book opens with a bang but then fizzles. The first story My Life with the Wave by Octavio Paz is a real jewel. Perhaps that was the problem, it is so good that the other stories pale by comparison. Maybe I would have liked them better had the first story been placed elsewhere in the collection. It is worth picking up this book for this story alone. I
Ricardo
Apr 17, 2014 Ricardo rated it really liked it
Una antología que sin duda reúne escritores muy emblemáticos de nuestro país. Es difícil juzgar la calidad dela antología como conjunto sin sesgar la opinión de uno mismo con nombres tan apabullantes como Carlos Fuentes, Elena Garro, Juan Rulfo, Octavio Paz (me detengo aquí porque tendría que mencionar a la mayoría de los escritores antologados que conocía de antemano). Es por esto que me limito a decir que cada relato tiene en cierto nivel, plasmada la esencia de nuestra cultura. Aunque no pode ...more
HeavyReader
What I took away from this book was that Mexican writers are really into magic and the supernatural and having weird shit happen in their stories. Even the stories that weren't supposed to be supernatural had supernatural elements.

I wouldn't say I particularly enjoyed any of these stories, but I'm glad I read them. I feel like a now have a tiny understanding of Mexican fiction.
Mckinley
Variety in five sections: fantastic unreal, Mexican reality, tangible past, unexpected in everyday, urban life and intimate imagination.
Lauren Pierce
Galesburg Public Library will be reading this book for its 2016 Big Read. This book was a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed some of the stories and others completely bewildered me. I will post a more detailed review after The Big Read.
Liliana
Oct 07, 2009 Liliana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I also read this one in the original Spanish. These two books are part of the Big Read program, a national level NEA sponsored reading program which chose a book by Mexican writers and made available both anthologies in English and Spanish. Nice selection, but only 3 women. Both books published by the Fondo de Cultura Económica. I was part of this program in Austin, where I did a bilingual reading with Cristina García, then visited classes at ACC and at the Ann Richards School for Young Women Le ...more
Kookie
Jan 29, 2015 Kookie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Great" is an overstatement.
Toby
Oct 03, 2009 Toby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
The Big Read choice for Boundless Readers (formerly Rochelle Lee fund) in partnership with Chicago Public Schools and National-Louis University, at first I wished for Edgar Allan Poe instead. And yet after reading, and in some cases rereading these 20 stories by Mexican authors born after the Revolution, I have come to appreciate their cultural authenticity, and am glad I've read outside my comfort zone.
Janine
Jun 10, 2010 Janine rated it really liked it
Wonderful collection of mexican short stories including some from my favorite authors such as Juan Rulfo y José Emilio Pacheco. Be ready for some Magic Realism y some irrealidad fantástica, some stories are a bit obscure, others take you into the heart of Mexico, especially the country y la vida cotidiana. At the end you will find some brief info about each author and the story presented.
Sherry (sethurner)
I read this collection of short stories by Mexican authors for our local Big Read. There's something for everyone here, from stories filled with magical realism, to those a bit more straightforward. My library had support materials that I wish had been included in the text.
Gabriel
Read two stories from this collection in my sophomore year of high school, "My Life with the Wave" by Octavio Paz and "The Night of Margaret Rose" by Francisco Tario, which were so good that I now want to read all the Mexican fiction I can get my hands on.
Apr 24, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the NEA's Big Read, and am hosting a neighborhood discussion of it. It was good to read something I wouldn't otherwise have picked up. The dearth of female authors, though, was appalling.
Armando
Feb 27, 2012 Armando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
el libro contiene veinte cuentos cortos de escritores mexicanos. unos mejores que otros para mi gusto pero que cubren diferentes temas. una buena coleccion para cualquier persona que le interesa la literatura mexicana.
Olivia Arrow
Some are great, some kind of drag, maybe that's why this is taking forever to read. Until I have another urge to finish this is off my "currently reading" list...
Christianne
Oct 12, 2011 Christianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
stories with potential teen appeal:

Chac-Mool by Fuentes
The Carnival of Bullets by Guzman
Permission Granted by Valades
August Afternoon by Pacheco
Oceanna
Not really done with it, just with what we've had to read in school :P
Colleen the Avid Reader, Geek Girl, and Jedi's Mom
Didn't make much sense, to twisted of stories. Couldn't finish it
Donovan
I haven't read all of it: we are reading it at school.
Tazy
Sep 19, 2012 Tazy rated it really liked it
Creo que "Chac Mool" es mi cuento mexicano favorito.
Kim
Jan 09, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short stories really make you think!
Maryann
Mar 23, 2012 Maryann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book.
Janice
Mar 10, 2010 Janice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
triton college (IL)
Vivian Cárdenas
Vivian Cárdenas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Adelina Esquibel
Adelina Esquibel marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Tierra del Fuego
  • The Last Prince of the Mexican Empire
  • Bad Trips
  • As Long As Trees Last
  • Maximilian & the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller