Start by marking “The First Dissident: The Book of Job in Today's Politics” as Want to Read:
The First Dissident: The Book of Job in Today's Politics

The First Dissident: The Book of Job in Today's Politics

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  4 reviews
One of America's foremost political columnists ties the Book of Job to the news of the day in a provacative exploration of how we can reshape politics by following Job's empowering example.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published August 3rd 2011 by Random House (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The First Dissident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Dissident

Rebecca
Dec 31, 2010 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Curt Roberts
Brilliant. (Exclamation point.)

I'll have an especially difficult time trying to decide the bookshelf on which I will give this book a home. Religious or political? (For they fall on opposite sides of the wall!) Does it give insight into the Book of Job... or is it a model for citizenship? (Yes.)

Because of this conundrum, this book was perfect for my both religious and political sides. Mr. Safire adeptly fuses the two and brings greater insight to the Book of Job than I have yet heard. I've had a
Ronald
For years, I tried to articulate how I feel such identification with the Book of Job. Then came William Safire, a good writer to be sure, but this utterly conservative, self-aggrandizing speechwriter for Nixon with an astoundingly liberal viewpoint of who Job was and how his story fits into today's society. I was shocked with how much I agreed. A resounding statement of human spirit and individuality.
Tom
An interesting perspective on Job from a former speechwriter and columnist.
Brian
Must read. Saffire uses the Book of Job to examine the necessity of people to question authority and the secrets they desperately wish to keep.
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
John
John is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Shelley Jones
Shelley Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Sonya Horbelt
Sonya Horbelt marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Vincent Rivas-Flores
Vincent Rivas-Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jennifer Walcheski
Jennifer Walcheski marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Abhijath Somayaji
Abhijath Somayaji marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sgm Memorial
Sgm Memorial marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Aremi Ruiz
Aremi Ruiz marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
William Lewis Safire was an American author, columnist, journalist and presidential speechwriter.

He was perhaps best known as a long-time syndicated political columnist for the New York Times and a regular contributor to "On Language" in the New York Times Magazine, a column on popular etymology, new or unusual usages, and other language-related topics.
More about William Safire...
Freedom Scandalmonger Lend Me Your Ears: Great Speeches in History On Language How Not to Write: The Essential Misrules of Grammar