Start by marking “Imaginary Lands” as Want to Read:
Imaginary Lands

Imaginary Lands (Damar)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It was on a ferry ride to Manhattan that the idea for this anthology was conceived: Sometimes the ground the characters of a story walk on is no more than that; but sometimes the landscape is a character in its own right. Nine writers, including James P. Blaylock, Peter Dickinson, Patricia A. McKillip, P C Hodgell and the editor, Robin McKinley, have written stories where ...more
Published (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Imaginary Lands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imaginary Lands

Lia
A collection of stories . . . some are good. Not a super-strong collection.
Althea Ann
Imaginary Lands - Robin McKinley, ed.

I expected to like this anthology a lot more than I did. Many of the authors are ones that I greatly like and respect; and a couple of the entries were excellent - but others fell a bit flat, to me.

contents:
• James P. Blaylock. Paper Dragons. 1985
This story had a bit too much of the classic 'tall tale' to it for my taste. Those who enjoy that sort of thing may love it, but it just wasn't for me.

• Patricia A. McKillip. The Old Woman and the Storm. 1985
This was
Maureen E
edited by Robin McKinley

This the second time I've read this anthology. Oddly enough, I think I liked it more this time around. There were still a few stories I wasn't as wild about. But "Flight" by Peter Dickinson, "The Old Woman and the Storm" by Patricia McKillip, and "The Stone Fey" by Robin McKinley herself were all, in my opinion, excellent. They were also, interestingly enough, the stories which I felt best fulfilled the stated mission of the book: "the stories...must have a particularly s
Ashley
I really struggled through this anthology. I picked it up because of McKinley's name on the cover. I love Robin McKinley, but this book makes me embarrased for her and several of the authors who contributed. Some of the stories felt like they were just trying so hard to make the setting of the story the focal point that the actual story was completely lost or irrelevant. Most of them did not include enough character development to make the characters matter to the reader and very few of them hel ...more
Stephen Case
My wife brought this anthology home because it was edited by her favorite author. I've never been enthralled by McKinley myself, but I recognized several of the authors in this collection and decided to give it a chance. Also, my wife made the task easier by marking those stories she felt were particularly enjoyable. So, my caveat to this review is that I've actually only read 5/9ths of the entire volume.

The highpoint for me was "Flight" by Peter Dickinson, which was quite wonderful. It was a we
Julie
A story collection, Robin McKinley edited and contributed one story (The Stone Fey, which is also available separately).

It wasn't really great. I think I was expecting stories more like Robin's but they weren't really. A couple were the weird, surreal stories that seem to think themselves cool or highly literary when they leave the reader going "Huh? Was that based on half an odd dream, or what?" that you find in fantasy collections but never make it as books. I wouldn't have considered it a gre
Meg
On the whole, I was a little disappointed by this short story collection; I had high expectations of an anthology, edited by McKinley, but none of the stories other than McKinley's own "The Stone Fey" particularly resonated with me. And if you want to read "The Stone Fey", I'd recommend the stand-alone illustrated version.

Still three stars, though. A disappointing McKinley collection is still better than most collections.
Mary-Beth
So the story in this anthology that has haunted me forever is for some reason "The Big Rock Candy Mountain." I don't even remember what the story was about fully except that it was an underground land where everything was coated with salt crystals, including a man and a horse.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
None of the stories in here were very appealing to me. Though some of them might appeal to other readers, or even to me in a different mood. I mainly got this from the library because I was mildly surprised that Robin McKinley had edited an anthology.
Unit of Raine
Blah. Wasn't really in the mood. I mainly chose this book for the Darian short story. And it was poorly written. Which hasn't inspired me to read any of the other stories in the collection. Thank goodness for library books ...
Lisette
If you read nothing else in here, read Peter Dickinson's contribution. You don't know irony until you've read "Flight." Dryly hilarious, in a pseudo-dry-as-dust-history kind of way.
Adrian
I didn't know that this book existed but randomly ran across it in the library. Short story collection compiled by Robin McKinley from 1986. I enjoyed it but probably won't read it again.
Karen
Books like this are great for finding new authors and new "worlds." I'm already making a list of existing lands that I would like to futher explore!
Lisa Rathbun
Not one I want my kids to read until they're older. Very well written, very interesting, they pull you in completely.
Mnemosyne
"The Stone Fey" is enchanting as always. The rest of the short stories were just okay.
Beka
I didn't enjoy most of these stories, but a couple of them were enjoyable.
elissa
A nice collection of fantasy stories (and SF?--not sure), edited by McKinley.
Lucianna Mee
Ashley
Nov 27, 2012 Ashley added it
i didnt enjoy these as much as the water one.
Magda
I thought I would enjoy this more than I did.
Emiley
An anthology of short stories by various writers.
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Lisa Javorka
Lisa Javorka marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Susan Jackson
Susan Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Rsl
Rsl marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Trina Dubya
Trina Dubya marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • Once Upon a Time
  • E Pluribus Unicorn
  • The Town Cats and Other Tales
Born in her mother's hometown of Warren, Ohio, Robin McKinley grew up an only child with a father in the United States Navy. She moved around frequently as a child and read copiously; she credits this background with the inspiration for her stories.

Her passion for reading was one of the most constant things in her childhood, so she began to remember events, places, and time periods by what books
More about Robin McKinley...
Beauty (Folktales #1) The Blue Sword (Damar, #2) The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #1) Sunshine Spindle's End (Folktales #3)

“It doesn't matter if I'm only to be gone four days, as in this case; I take six months' supply of reading material everywhere. Anyone who needs further explication of this eccentricity can find it usefully set out in the first pages of W. Somerset Maugham's story "The Book-Bag.” 19 likes