Start by marking “Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success” as Want to Read:

Advice for women from women for negotiating their own leadership careers

This is a practical guide for any woman dealing with a demanding role. Drawing on extensive interviews with women leaders, the authors isolate five key challenges: Intelligence; Backing; Resources; Buy-In; and Making a Difference. The three expert authors reveal what women have to teach us about the ch
Published August 24th 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published August 13th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Her Place at the Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Place at the Table

Paula Kwan
May 23, 2014 Paula Kwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book!

Compared to Lean In - which acted a voice for women that kicked off the modern movement - Her Place at the Table was the play book that detailed how to become a successful leader at work. Some reviews said there were too many examples; I found them all relevant and helpful to illustrate solutions to challenges. The examples made it less theoretical and more realistic and tactical. (< Another big difference from Lean In.)

I'll be reading this before I start any job again. Gr
Heather
Her Place at the Table: A Woman's Guide to Negotiating Five Key Challenges to Leadership Success by Deborah M. Kolb, PhD, Judith Williams, PhD and Carol Frohlinger JD There are many assumptions about why women have a hard time attaining and keeping leadership positions in business. Many assume that it is because women don't ask, lack talent, aren't interested or there just aren't enough of us in the pipeline. While those issues contribute to the problem intheir own ways, what happens to us when ...more
Emily
Jul 18, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Her Place at the Table provides 5 key suggestions for women navigating leadership roles in the workplace. The most helpful part of this book comes from the real life examples of how women put these guidelines into place in their own leadership transitions. Their experiences allow the reader to understand the benefits and challenges of heeding the book's advice.

The book is also helpful in that it provides avenues for women to lead out of their strengths, rather than by trying to fit a mold previo
Carol Mason
Dec 27, 2015 Carol Mason rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I rarely don't finish a book but I couldn't keep going with this one. The authors tried to include lots of examples of 'real' people but they were deathly boring and didn't add colour to the points that were being made.
Maggie
Jan 30, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book discusses many of the same issues raised in Lean In but with concrete actions one can take to overcome them. I read this for a leadership series I'm participating in but will most certainly return to it when I need to negotiate at the start of a new job or assignment.
Deborah
Oct 14, 2013 Deborah rated it liked it
Leadership positions are becoming fewer and fewer. However, there is good advice you can use in unofficial leadership position and life in general. I would see this book being used in leadership seminars or college course.
Gingeraltoids
Sep 06, 2008 Gingeraltoids rated it really liked it
My great friend Sonja sent this book to me after hearing about my problems at my new job. Of course it is the perfect book, because Sonja knows books like nobody else! I have it on my bedside table and have been reading different parts of it.
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Casey Anthony
Casey Anthony rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Mary Anne
Mary Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2007
Cynthia
Sep 01, 2013 Cynthia added it
Shelves: umw-books
Not just for women. men can learn form this as well.
Ashley
Mar 10, 2011 Ashley marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
Rec'd by Dr. Isis
Crystal Ray
Crystal Ray rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Julie
Feb 01, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Somewhat stilted and dry, but the examples based on real people made it more readable.
Christina Wei
Christina Wei rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Martina
Martina rated it liked it
May 09, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Amber Garrison Duncan
Amber Garrison Duncan rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Llechatton
Llechatton rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2015
Tiffany Jansen
Tiffany Jansen rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2013
Stela
Stela rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Bohannan Coaching
Bohannan Coaching rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Dawn B
Dawn B rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2011
Cheryl Smith
Cheryl Smith rated it liked it
May 12, 2013
Debib
Debib rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Jill Quist
Jill Quist rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
  • How To Say It for Women
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • Signs of Life: Back to the Basics of Authentic Christianity
  • The Art of the Turnaround: Creating and Maintaining Healthy Arts Organizations
  • Time Management Magic: How to Get More Done Everyday
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Leading from the Front: No Excuse Leadership Tactics for Women
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity
  • Scholarship in the Digital Age: Information, Infrastructure, and the Internet
  • I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work
  • The 10 Laws of Enduring Success