Start by marking “Do I Have To Wear White?: Emily Post Answers America's Top Wedding Questions” as Want to Read:
Do I Have To Wear White?: Emily Post Answers America's Top Wedding Questions

Do I Have To Wear White?: Emily Post Answers America's Top Wedding Questions

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"I can't choose between my two best friends. Can I have two maids of honor?"

"My fiancé and I are considering a destination wedding. Are we obligated to cover our attendants' travel expenses?"

"Do we have to invite our guests' children to our wedding?"

"I'm still close to my ex-husband's parents. Would it be okay to invite them to my wedding?"

"How do my partner and I go about
Published December 30th 2008 by William Morrow (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Do I Have To Wear White?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do I Have To Wear White?

Michelle Szetela
Even if I had read this before I got married, I'm not sure how much help it would have been. Doesn't anyone just plan their weddings for how they want them? Who cares who pays for what, or who does what? And no, it's not a valid reason for not having a bridesmaid/groomsman based on physical appearance, people.
Kaitlyn
Mar 20, 2015 Kaitlyn is currently reading it
I have no reason to read this book other than curiosity. I spotted it while I was checking in books at the library and decided to pick it up. It's interesting and informative if you're into that sort of thing.
Heather
The Q&A format made this wedding guide by famous ettiquite columnist Emily Post a quick and interesting read to learn about the traditions surrounding weddings and marriage, with a tone that neither dismisses the value of tradition nor demands that it be followed.
Steph
This book is a compilation of a wide variety of wedding etiquette questions that are often asked. If you want this advice in one spot, then get the book otherwise you can just google it.

Overall, I give this book a "Meh." She doesn't even answer the title question. Not that it really matters, but we can thank Queen Victoria for starting the white wedding dress and many other wedding-based trends that have given this industry the ability to up-sell brides-to-be for almost 2 centuries!
Amanda
Sep 24, 2009 Amanda added it
Super quick read. What I got from this book:
- how to word the newspaper announcement
- how much to assign each budget category for the wedding budget
- who to tip and when
- the idea to skip the dj and play our music (we have better taste anyway)
- wording for the invitation (sent from us, not our parents-which gets too confusing with my hot mess of a family)
Christa
Very helpful. Answered a bunch of questions I had about weddings including how to word invitations to the duties of the wedding party. If you don't know all the wedding rules...I would definitely recommend this book!
Alissa Bach
3.75 stars. This one was helpful, but the tone was a bit uptight. And some of the answers about what's right and proper seemed a bit old-fashioned by today's standards.
Heather
Very helpful!
Denele
Denele added it
Apr 10, 2015
Jill Burrows
Jill Burrows is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Phsc
Phsc marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Kamille Besa
Kamille Besa marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2012
Debby
Debby added it
Apr 06, 2012
M
M marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2011
Carolann
Carolann marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2010
Anna Post is Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter. She is the author of Do I Have to Wear White? Emily Post Answers America’s Top Wedding Questions (Collins 2009), as well as Emily Post’s Wedding Parties: Smart Ideas for Stylish Parties, From Engagement to Reception and Everything in Between. She is the wedding etiquette expert for Brides.com and Inside Weddings magazine. She speaks at bridal sh ...more
More about Anna Post...
Emily Post's Wedding Etiquette, 6e Emily Post's Wedding Parties Emily Post's Great Get-Togethers: Casual Gatherings and Elegant Parties at Home Mr. Manners: Lessons from Obama on Civility Do I Have to Wear White?