Traitor to the Blood (Noble Dead: Series 1, #4)

Traitor to the Blood (Noble Dead Saga: Series 1 #4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  2,524 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Born a half-breed to an elven mother and human father, Leesil was raised in the Warlands as assassin, spy, and slave to Lord Darmouth, ruler to one of its independent provinces. But Leesil's mother trained him too well, and he used his skills to escape, leaving his parents to suffer Darmouth's wrath for all such traitors and their kin. Now, with newfound purpose in the com...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 355 pages
Published January 3rd 2006 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Traitor to the Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traitor to the Blood

This book took me forever to read! Once I passed page 200 though I didn't want to put it down. It seems to be a trend for me with the last couple of books in this series. They are Middle Ages, fantasy based books, about the travels of a damphir, a half-elf, a fey hound and a human sage. This book revolves around discovering what happened to the half-elf (Leesil)'s parents. It involves a battle with a tyrannical warlord and the danger of elven assassins which happen to be in the same caste as Lee...more
Meagan
I haven't completely finished it yet but it is such a painful read I needed to review it already. I feel like the author/authors are trying to change to a different main character midway. I loathe the character of Wynn, she is horrendous, pointless, and really does not add anything to the story except black and white comments. I find myself skimming through parts and I am only 100 pages in. I am really trying to finish it but am getting close to giving up because it is hard to take any farther....more
Tammie
3 1/2 stars.
There was a lot revealed about Leesil's past in this book. I found it more enjoyable than Sister of the Dead. But Leesil and Magiere are becoming a bit unlikable in some ways. They are too grumpy and never seem to see past their own noses. Wynn has begun to grow on me. Even though she does do some foolish things.

Angela
Each book in the Noble Dead saga pulls the reader deeper and deeper into darkness and secrets. Leesil and Magiere know so little of their pasts and each thing they discover only seems to lead to more questions. Details uncovered along the journey reveal that they have been guided and used for far longer than they suspected and they still do not understand why. There is some larger purpose to their journey that remains a mystery.

My comments about the characters, emotions, and action in reviews of...more
Mishel Zabala
Leesil and Magiere have moved the troop towards the Warlands under the nose of Leesil's former master Lord Dartmouth. Leesil is determined to find out what happened to his parents after escaping his enslavement so many years ago. But his past actions continue to haunt him as he slowly uncovers the fate of his family. Meanwhile, Magiere struggles to watch Leesil's personality whither away each day. The atmosphere of the book is definitely more dark and violent which is fitting. I enjoy the fact t...more
Katy
It took me much longer to read this book than the previous books in the series. I think most the blame is on life just being busy, not having as much reading time. Or could it have been that it dragged just enough that I didn't MAKE reading time? Jury is still out on that. The battle scenes are still well written and exciting but the first half the of this book is slower. Or maybe I wasn't as in to it because I thought they were making a horrible mistake by going into Leesil's homeland within th...more
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 1 Treasure Box

The story has a great beginning with our unlikely heroes protecting the peasants that are being slaughtered by the tyrants forces. We get more insight into Leesil's history, he has come back home to the town where his family was held captive and forced to become assassins. Leesil is searching his past in hopes of finding his partents. He ran away from them to escape his horrific existance, but at a potential cost of his parent's lives. This book looks closely at tyrann...more
R.
The Noble Dead series has never been a collection of especially good books, but I keep reading them nonetheless just because I find them entertaining. Every once in a while I'll feel as though I'm not giving them enough credit, especially considering that they are both high fantasy AND vampire books that manage to avoid, at least, many of the most common and offensive failings of both genres. And I'm left with that same feeling after finishing this, the fourth of the six in the series.

It was ju...more
Lisa King
Magiere, Leesil, Chap and Wynn have uncovered Magiere's past and begin the journey to find out about Leesil's mother, Nein'a. Is she really still alive and captive of her own people? Our intrepid heroes trek north and enter Leesil's homeland-the Warlands. Darmouth, the lord of the Warlands, has learned of Magiere in her hunter of the dead role and summons her to his keep. Leesil must remain hidden since he is a wanted man. Anmaglahk are in the city and our heroes stumble upon an assassination pl...more
Krazykiwi
Traitor to the Blood Reviewing the middle books in a long series (and this is book 4 of the original series 6, and I think 12 or 15 of the expanded universe) is hard. They either settle down into a formula, like monster of the week episodes of a tv show, or the plot is still moving along but the worldbuilding is done and the characters familiar but still developing.

Except here, this is a meh filler book. The worldbuilding is still going on apace, but the characters are the same old same old. We...more
Jenifer1223
Traitor to the Blood serves a similar purpose as Sister of the Dead, except it gives more about Leesil instead of Magiere. So, in that sense it is definitely a good book as it is interesting to find out just a little bit about what makes our characters tick.

This book, however, left me a little torn. It has seen a major shift in my support for each character. Initially, I liked Wynn but didn't think too much on her as Magiere was definitely the dominant character and I couldn't help but prefer h...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Danielle
This series keeps getting better and better. I'm so addicted it's not even funny. The characters Leesil and Magiere keep me wanting to read more along with the twisting story. I love reading from so many points of view. You get more information from each character about the situation. It's very fascinating to read. You would think it would be hard to keep up with all the characters but I find it very easy. There wasn't as much action in this one but I didn't mind because you found out so much in...more
lynne naranek
moving on with Book 4 of the saga of Magiere, Leesil, Chap the Fay and more recently Wynn the scholar, shadowed by Welstiel and Chane.

This book kinda plodded along ... and I could have sworn there was an instance of "cut & paste": when we first found out hoe Welstiel fed in Book 3, we had a few passages describing it all... and I swear it seemed to be almost exactly the same in Book 4...

... I also found myself just skimming instead of reading... having to force myself to properly read the p...more
Ladiibbug
Feb 15, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Fantasy Fans
#4 Noble Dead series - Dark Fantasy

Leesil and Magiere's adventures continue, as they travel to the Warlands, where Leesil grew up. Trained from a young age as a spy and assassin, Leesil finally flees his homeland as a young man. The price for his freedom is the probably death of his parents by the savage Lord Darmouth.

Leesil is in search of the truth about the fate of his parents. His dangerous return to the violent Warlands is fraught with peril ... and adventure.

I enjoy this dark fantasy serie...more
In this book, Leesil is now searching for answers to his past. Where are his mother and father - if they're even still alive after all these years? Leesil's search takes the gang back to his "hometown" and back to Lord Darmouth. They are introduced to strange members of Darmouth's staff - the odd couple, Captain Omasta, and a chipper young girl. Leesil is drawn further into the mystery of his past.

As always, Welstiel and Chane are nearby watching and waiting. Chane's "Second Death" has changed...more
Jun 15, 2010 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Lyn Barnard
Now that I'm done, I'm a bit more interested in reading the next one. I decided that one thing I don't like about this series is the amount of time it spends detailing the hand-to-hand combat. It's kinda, I dunno, boring...

I'm just short of 100 pages in to this book, and I don't know what I think yet. When I was reading book 1 in the series, I was eager to know the histories of the main characters, but now that I'm into book 4 and I'm finally getting to Leesil's past, I find myself much less int...more
Kitty
It was good, though I must say, Leesil was a little crazy in this one.

Favorite passage "What little light filled the space room from a single candle exposed shoulders and a back of a pale, flawless skin over smooth muscles. Magiere sat nasked in Leesil's lap upon the bed, her legs and arms wrapped about him. She turned her head enough to glare toward the open door with one dark eye.
Chap backed up with a hard swallow, and Wynn spun away, eyes clamping shut as she cringed against the hallway wal
Dominique
Leesil is haunted by the acts he committed under the orders of his former master, to such a point where he drinks himself drunk as to not have nightmares about it. He wants the guilt and the nightmares to end, so he decides, with the help of Magerie, Wynn, and Chap to discover what became of his parents after he ran away from home.

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the others in the series. The scenary is wonderfully desribed and the characters are quite believeable with their own motives for...more
Vickey Foggin
This one goes over Leesil's past, which has been covered in enough detail in previous books that this tour through his childhood is tedious. I am starting to have trouble telling these books apart--I can't remember the name of the one I am currently reading, the characters and villains are mostly the same from book to book. This is pretty mindless fantasy and getting a bit boring 4 books in, but I'll see the series out (two books to go). There are follow on series apparently, but unless the next...more
Krystal
This book was a little slow for me. I think at some parts it got a little too dramatic for me with all the darkness of the Magiere and Leesil's past. I felt like the lightheartedness and fun aspect of the series was lost in this book. At the end it picked up and I enjoyed reading the last 100 pages but until then, it took me awhile to get into it. The story here is all about Leesil's past and origins. It was interesting to see but I missed the fun Leesil...I still liked it all right but a little...more
Mary
I really enjoy fantasy and vampires books so I thought that this would be a really good read. I started with this book because I wasn't able to get a hold of the other books in the series. I was pretty disappointed with the book. I felt like it had so much potential but about a third of the way in, I started skimming a lot of the book just to get through it. Its felt slow and dragged out. But I will read the next book in the series to see if it gets any better.
Rebecca Saxton
Initially this book of the series started off a little slow , but once it got going I did not want to put it down. I very much enjoyed reading about Leesil's past even though he was not acting like his normal self. I am not much a fan of Westiel and his meddling into things, but he was a small part of the book . Overall, the books keep getting better in my opinion and I look forward to continuing on the adventure.
Jay Hendricks
Jan 23, 2008 Jay Hendricks rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans
Shelves: vampires, fantasy
This book took a little bit to really get off and moving. I think once I reached half way though things really got interesting and I quickly finished the book. There were a few times I was a little frustrated with a seemingly repeated theme but they were rather small/rare now that I look back and really didn't detract from the book too much.

Of course the story is left WIDE open for the next book in the series.
Nathan
Another good enough read in the series that I've moved on to the next book in the series.

Not great. Nothing plot-wise or character wise that's extraordinary, and the stuff that's above average is often balanced by idiot plot.

If you're reading the series, it's worth keeping going for, but nothing in the series makes slogging through the previous books just for this one necessarily worthwhile.

Joshua
I enjoyed this one, funny thing is I read it first. It didn't have a list of witch books came first but I thought the cover was to cool to not read it :P Well I read this one first then the second one witch was not as good as the forth. I could not fined a list of the books in order so I just picked up the one that look the best lol
Lisa
Sep 18, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who loves vampires
This is the fourth book in a vampire series that I'm currently reading. The first is called Dhampir. They are a mix between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lord of the Rings. I really like them because the story keeps you going to where you can't put the book down. If you like a good vampire book, this is where its at!
Jen
Apr 01, 2012 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jen by: Melissa Comeau
Favourite Character: Leesil

I find myself repeating the same thing over and over again... It takes forever to get into these books, it seems nothing happens or nothing of note happens for so long and then everything happens at once and then I can't put it down.

I hope they start picking up in the beginning.
Valerie
Magiere wasn't the main character in this book; Leesil was. The story was not focused on undeads which is kind of refreshing with all the vampires frenzy brought back with Twilight and True blood. So it sets the series apart from these mainstream stories. I liked the 4th book and will continue with the series.
Nicole
I really didn't like book 3 in this series, but enjoyed the first one enough to give #4 a chance. And it wasn't bad. Not a new favorite, but worth having read - once, at least. I'm not sure whether I'll ever re-read it. But it did keep me going in the series to read the fifth...
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • Choice of the Cat (Vampire Earth #2)
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • The Dragon of Despair (Firekeeper Saga, #3)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, #6)
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • Baroness of Blood (Ravenloft, #12)
  • Knighthood of the Dragon (DragonMaster, #2)

[See NobleDead.org]
Like most writers, I've worked at many jobs in my life, including teaching pre-school until I completed my master's degree in Composition Theory. Between 1993 and 2006, I taught college English while writing fiction on the side, some independently and some with my husband and life-long partner J.C.

Over the years, we've lived in Washington State, Idaho, Colorado, and now moved ju
More about Barb Hendee...
Dhampir (The Noble Dead Saga, Series 1, #1) Thief of Lives (Noble Dead, Series 1, #2) Sister of the Dead (Noble Dead, Series 1, #3) Rebel Fay (Noble Dead: Series 1, #5) Child of a Dead God (Noble Dead: Series 1, #6)