Start by marking “Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)” as Want to Read:
Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)

Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries #11)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  1,941 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
"Judge Deborah Knott has a severe case of anxiety in the final days before her late December nuptials to Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant. Her calendar is booked solid with receptions and parties, last-minute details, and family obligations. There is absolutely no way she can fit a homicide case into her schedule." "Nevertheless, when a friend and colleague is shot on the icy ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rituals of the Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rituals of the Season

Barbara
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I like Judge Deborah Knott. Yes, she gets involved in solving murders; however, she's much smarter about it than most cozy heroines. Also, as judge, she's involved at least tangentially on a professional level.

In this one, she's really involved on a personal level - she knew the victims. As the countdown winds down to her wedding with childhood friend and "brother", Dwight, she's finding her way in how involved she can be in Dwight's cases and still
Ellen
Jan 22, 2017 Ellen rated it really liked it
Rituals of the Season by Margaret Maron.

A Deborah Knott mystery or so I thought.
Assistant D.A. Tracy Johnson is on the highway when she spots someone she knows well. She no sooner rolls down her window to say "Hi" in passing then she is shot and crashes. That shot killed her before her car ever hit the concrete support but the crash kills her toddler in the back seat. Judge Deborah Knott is horrified to learn the news of her friend and colleague. She's even more distressed to learn it was murde
Ed
Aug 02, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#11 in the Judge Deborah Knott mystery series. Finalist 2005 Agatha Award for Best Novel.

Judge Deborah Knott mystery - The judge and her fiancé, sheriff deputy Dwight Bryant, are distracted from their impending nuptials by a fatal car crash involving assistant D.A. Tracy Johnson. When it turns out that someone shot Johnson as she was driving, Deborah and Dwight become involved in a murder investigation that will uncover a web of crime and corruption in Colleton County, N.C. Meanwhile, members of
Sandra
Dec 07, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all the books I've read, by Ms. Maron, this one is my favorite. You have an intense investigation of murder, that kept me turning the pages until the very end. Also, a wedding, and wonderful characters that carry through all her novels, that brings every story to life and then some.
Great read!!!

Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, knott
11th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Not only reconciled but now eagerly anticipating her marriage to Dwight Bryant just before Christmas, Deborah is caught up not only in preparations for the wedding but for the season as well. But marring the festivities for everyone is the murder of a young, attractive assistant DA, Tracy Johnson, and the consequent death of her infant adopted daughter.[return][return]Along with some fairly humorous and obviously nostal ...more
Marilyn Heyman
Apr 05, 2014 Marilyn Heyman rated it it was amazing
RITUALS OF THE SEASON by Margaret Maron

ADA Tracy Johnson is shot while driving on the freeway crashing her car and killing her adopted baby daughter. Judge Deborah Knott is stunned. Who could have murdered her friend and co-worker? Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant, Deborah’s fiancé, is handling the case. He and Deborah are planning their wedding in two weeks. Her brothers are building a room on to her house and promise to have it completed by the wedding. Deborah has her doubts. She is running aroun
Nell
Nov 09, 2012 Nell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent addition to the series. Maron balances the personal and professional aspects of the main characters' lives and adds not one but two mysteries to solve. It takes a skillful writer to make that appear effortless.

The story takes place leading up to Deborah's and Dwight's wedding. Both are involved in pre-wedding preparations, holiday parties to celebrate their nuptials, merging households, blending families, decorating and shopping for Christmas. And then there's murder - an ADA is shot o
Kellie
#11 of the Deborah Knott series-I have read 9 of the series just this year. Mostly because this was a bookclub book and I made it a point to read all the books that led up to #11. This was a critical book for the series. Deborah ties the “knot” in this one. I enjoyed the Knott story and the mystery wasn’t bad either. An ADA is shot while driving in her car and her adopted daughter dies in the crash. Dwight is working the murder and of course, Deborah is involved as usual. A third mystery is adde ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 14, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is a solid series.

With books that cross into the cozy mystery category, many series become predictable and formulaic. However, Maron does not fall into this trip.

Intrepid heroine, Deborah Knott, frequently ends up in a new community temporarily due to her work as judge. So you don't end up with the feeling, "Why doesn't anyone ever move to Jessica Fletcher's town when someone new dies there every week?" It feels organic and not contrived.

With a large family, there is usually someone who k
Caitlin
Jul 22, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
With only weeks left until the wedding, one would think that Judge Deborah Knott would be focused on preparations at hand, but a new murder case and an old one have her and Dwight tangled up in work. An attorney is shot in her car on the highway after looking into a death-penalty case, where the woman is due to take her final gurney ride in just a month. Are the two connected? Can the murders be found--the ones who killed the attorney and the one who really should be on death row?
Perhaps I shoul
Dail Sams
Jan 20, 2016 Dail Sams rated it really liked it
Judge Deborah Knott prepares to marry long-time family friend Dwight Bryant while
helping get a wrongly convicted woman off death row. Meanwhile Dwight is up to his eyeballs in a murder investigation involving an attorney colleague of Deborah's and her adopted baby. Throw in a fire at the country club where the reception was to be and preparing to welcome stepson Cal into their new home, and Deborah is feeling a little stressed. But through it all, she is suffused with a profound sense of gratitu
Nikki
Judge Deborah Knott is finally getting married but, since she's marrying a law enforcement officer, even their wedding preparations are interrupted by murder. The oft-used trope of amateur sleuth involved with official crimesolver is done very well by Margaret Maron, especially since there's the twist that Deborah is required to be impartial in her job. Her large family is always entertaining and I love "visiting" Colleton County.
Richard Brand
Feb 07, 2017 Richard Brand rated it really liked it
This one was as well told as the series. The murders and the two solutions were kind of put in at the end as if in a hurry to wrap things up so that the end could be the romantic ending. But the story is told with the same kind of charm as the others in this series. Dwight and Deborah are now love birds and horny. The focus of the murder is in the sheriff department and the crooked detectives and sloppy investigation. The series does seem to focus on one particular area or concern and this one w ...more
LJ
RITUALS OF THE SEASON (Mystery-North Carolina-Cont) – G+
Maron, Margaret – 11th in series
Mysterious Press, 2005- Hardcover
Judge Deborah Knott is in the middle of plans for her wedding to Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant a little more than a week away. When the Assistant DA is killed from a gunshot while driving her car, secrets about the woman are uncovered, questions about the guilt of a woman on death row about to be executed are raised and the possible involvement of a fellow officer are suspect.
Poppy
Nov 26, 2007 Poppy rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclubreads
We read this book for the October book club meeting. It was a cute book, with a lovely love story about the main characters preparing for their wedding. It's a shame about the murder.

This book should have been shelved in the romance section, and stands as an example of why some authors should not attempt to cross genres. This entire series about the Judge and the Deputy is characterized by some very cute love stories as two childhood friends fall in love, marry, and solve mysteries together. It'
Margie
Jun 19, 2012 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out very slow. I was half way through the book and did not have a clue as to how the victim died in the first chapter. The second half of the book picked up the pace and gave you clues.

Along with the murder, a wedding is the main focus of the book. It is a nice combination. The writer, really brought the two events together. She made the two story lines twist together.

I did not know this book was part of a series until after I was finished reading it. I would read another by th
Laura Beasley
Nov 11, 2013 Laura Beasley rated it liked it
Good story. What I call a "light mystery." Liked the characters. Deborah a judge and Dwight a deputy sheriff are getting married a few days before Christmas. An assistant DA is murdered and then there is a supposed suicide in the sheriffs department. What follows are twists and turns. Also a woman is going to be put to death in a month for murder and two young law students think she is innocent.. An enjoyable read. Like the authors style of writing.
Mary
One of the best in the series. This is the one in which Deborah and Dwight get married, a new and an old murder are solved, a death sentence is overturned and all this happens within the space of about a week. M. Maron is just so good at creating a setting and building characters and their relationships to one another over the series that I'm always happy to reacquaint myself with the citizens of Colleton county, North Carolina. I'll return!
Pr Latta
Sandy Weir
Sep 27, 2011 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandy by: Susan
I like the use of semi-arcane local language and the enchanting chapter headers from 1873 etiquette book. The book focuses more on family and North Carolina life than specifically on mystery/crime pursuit, but I like the focus just the same. Perhaps every woman would like to step into Deborah Knott's shoes (or robe?) for a while to soak up warm, family and community values? And, yes! Time for her to get married (best choice).
Amylou1977
Jun 12, 2008 Amylou1977 rated it it was amazing
It's only days away from her wedding to Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, and Judge Deborah Knott has more than enough worries to keep her busy. With her sisters-in-law dissecting every detail of the ceremony, her brothers making bookings on whether her very pregnant matron of honor will be in the church or in labor, her house torn up by carpenters and plumbers...Deborah doesn't need a murder on her wedding plate as well -- but that's exactly what she gets.
Galen Johnson
Oct 22, 2013 Galen Johnson rated it really liked it
When an attorney and her daughter are killed on the freeway, Deborah Knott and her husband-to-be try to balance the business of the holiday season and their pre-wedding social schedule with finding the killer and the story behind the woman’s death.

Funny, realistic writing and situations, a fairly good balance of life and mystery, and a good continuation of the series. Recommended for those familiar with the series.
Mary Gunderson
Dec 15, 2014 Mary Gunderson rated it did not like it
Listened to an audio book. This story was irritating. I still don't know why Tracy and Whitley were killed and I know waaaaaayyyy too much about Debra and Dwight's relationship. The murders at the heart of the plot end up being incidental. Further. Did NOT like how each chapter was introduced with a few lines from some etiquette book from the 1800s. Arrrrrrghghghghghg. Narrator's voice and tone also irritating. Will read nothing else by this author. Or listen. Ever.
Cindy
Mar 13, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It was entertaining, although not Maron's best. A wedding story is always fun to follow. However, one of the other plots is about a woman on death row. Other characters in the story suspect the woman's innocence. It just felt that that part of the plot was taken way too lightly. I'm hoping that #12 is a little stronger.
Gretchen
Mar 22, 2013 Gretchen rated it liked it
I like this series but this book had a lot of gratuitous race identification. I'm not sure why but it was particularly noticeable (perhaps because I "read" this via CD) and not related in any way to the plot. I wonder if anyone else noticed. I do like this series and am looking forward to the next.
Christine
Dec 29, 2007 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Yes, another audio book. I got hooked, what can I say. I ended up listening to the series slightly out of order, but this was a little less about the murder and more about the personal life of Deborah Knott. It felt like a "gap filler" book between two more traditional murder mysteries, not that I cared because, like I said, I was hooked.
Bonnie
Aug 06, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This is #11 of the Deborah Knott series. Loved this book. Judge Deborah Knott ties the “knot” and of course is involved in solving yet another murder --an assistant district attorney is shot while driving her car. The murdered assistant district attorney was looking into a case where the convicted murderer is on death-row. The usual mix of great characters and intrigue!
Ellen Moore
Apr 04, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book in the Deborah Knott series. There were several murders to solve including a woman on death row scheduled to be put to death very soon; many Christmas activities; and, of course, the Christmas wedding all faithful readers of this series have waited for. It was a page-turner and a book I didn't want to put down.
Patty
Feb 03, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing
I just love the Deborah Knott books. I've been waiting for this one -- and anyone who follows the series knows why. This is the one where Deborah takes that big leap.

The mystery was a lot of fun as well. Deborah gets tangled up in one of Dwight's investigations (again), only this time a good friend is the victim.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Shirrapop
Feb 11, 2013 Shirrapop rated it did not like it
still reading this boring book...I plan on skipping a few chapters..wont make one bit of difference for the author puts in unnecessary dialog that never adds to the story. Such as one character likes ice cream..who the f cares? How does that contribute to the story? An example of untalented authors.
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Spanish Dagger (China Bayles, #15)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • The Odd Job (Kelling & Bittersohn, #11)
  • Stiff News (Inspector Sloan #17)
  • Miracles in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #9)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Deborah Knott Mysteries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)