Start by marking “Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)” as Want to Read:
Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)

Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott #11)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,471 ratings  ·  68 reviews
"Judge Deborah Knott has a severe case of anxiety in the final days before her late December nuptials to Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant. Her calendar is booked solid with receptions and parties, last-minute details, and family obligations. There is absolutely no way she can fit a homicide case into her schedule." "Nevertheless, when a friend and colleague is shot on the icy ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Rituals of the Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rituals of the Season

Front Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerLowcountry Boil by Susan M. BoyerDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueThe Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman
Mysterious Women
15th out of 61 books — 29 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerLowcountry Boil by Susan M. BoyerBrides of the Storm by Amanda Albright StillEchoes of the Storm by Amanda Albright Still
Best Southern Mysteries
25th out of 103 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I like Judge Deborah Knott. Yes, she gets involved in solving murders; however, she's much smarter about it than most cozy heroines. Also, as judge, she's involved at least tangentially on a professional level.

In this one, she's really involved on a personal level - she knew the victims. As the countdown winds down to her wedding with childhood friend and "brother", Dwight, she's finding her way in how involved she can be in Dwight's cases and still
Marilyn Heyman
RITUALS OF THE SEASON by Margaret Maron

ADA Tracy Johnson is shot while driving on the freeway crashing her car and killing her adopted baby daughter. Judge Deborah Knott is stunned. Who could have murdered her friend and co-worker? Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant, Deborah’s fiancé, is handling the case. He and Deborah are planning their wedding in two weeks. Her brothers are building a room on to her house and promise to have it completed by the wedding. Deborah has her doubts. She is running aroun
Nell
Excellent addition to the series. Maron balances the personal and professional aspects of the main characters' lives and adds not one but two mysteries to solve. It takes a skillful writer to make that appear effortless.

The story takes place leading up to Deborah's and Dwight's wedding. Both are involved in pre-wedding preparations, holiday parties to celebrate their nuptials, merging households, blending families, decorating and shopping for Christmas. And then there's murder - an ADA is shot o
Joyce Lagow
11th in the Judge Deborah Knott series set in North Carolina.[return][return]Not only reconciled but now eagerly anticipating her marriage to Dwight Bryant just before Christmas, Deborah is caught up not only in preparations for the wedding but for the season as well. But marring the festivities for everyone is the murder of a young, attractive assistant DA, Tracy Johnson, and the consequent death of her infant adopted daughter.[return][return]Along with some fairly humorous and obviously nostal ...more
LJ
RITUALS OF THE SEASON (Mystery-North Carolina-Cont) – G+
Maron, Margaret – 11th in series
Mysterious Press, 2005- Hardcover
Judge Deborah Knott is in the middle of plans for her wedding to Deputy Sheriff Dwight Bryant a little more than a week away. When the Assistant DA is killed from a gunshot while driving her car, secrets about the woman are uncovered, questions about the guilt of a woman on death row about to be executed are raised and the possible involvement of a fellow officer are suspect.
Mary Gunderson
Listened to an audio book. This story was irritating. I still don't know why Tracy and Whitley were killed and I know waaaaaayyyy too much about Debra and Dwight's relationship. The murders at the heart of the plot end up being incidental. Further. Did NOT like how each chapter was introduced with a few lines from some etiquette book from the 1800s. Arrrrrrghghghghghg. Narrator's voice and tone also irritating. Will read nothing else by this author. Or listen. Ever.
Kellie
#11 of the Deborah Knott series-I have read 9 of the series just this year. Mostly because this was a bookclub book and I made it a point to read all the books that led up to #11. This was a critical book for the series. Deborah ties the “knot” in this one. I enjoyed the Knott story and the mystery wasn’t bad either. An ADA is shot while driving in her car and her adopted daughter dies in the crash. Dwight is working the murder and of course, Deborah is involved as usual. A third mystery is adde ...more
Caitlin
With only weeks left until the wedding, one would think that Judge Deborah Knott would be focused on preparations at hand, but a new murder case and an old one have her and Dwight tangled up in work. An attorney is shot in her car on the highway after looking into a death-penalty case, where the woman is due to take her final gurney ride in just a month. Are the two connected? Can the murders be found--the ones who killed the attorney and the one who really should be on death row?
Perhaps I shoul
Jill
Love this series about Deborah Knott and this one was no exception. I do however wish that the author would keep her thinly veiled political opinions to herself!
Poppy
We read this book for the October book club meeting. It was a cute book, with a lovely love story about the main characters preparing for their wedding. It's a shame about the murder.

This book should have been shelved in the romance section, and stands as an example of why some authors should not attempt to cross genres. This entire series about the Judge and the Deputy is characterized by some very cute love stories as two childhood friends fall in love, marry, and solve mysteries together. It'
Wade
Another excellent book by Maron. She really has a knack for language and for story. I would recommend her to anyone.
Margie
This book started out very slow. I was half way through the book and did not have a clue as to how the victim died in the first chapter. The second half of the book picked up the pace and gave you clues.

Along with the murder, a wedding is the main focus of the book. It is a nice combination. The writer, really brought the two events together. She made the two story lines twist together.

I did not know this book was part of a series until after I was finished reading it. I would read another by th
Laura Beasley
Good story. What I call a "light mystery." Liked the characters. Deborah a judge and Dwight a deputy sheriff are getting married a few days before Christmas. An assistant DA is murdered and then there is a supposed suicide in the sheriffs department. What follows are twists and turns. Also a woman is going to be put to death in a month for murder and two young law students think she is innocent.. An enjoyable read. Like the authors style of writing.
Amylou1977
It's only days away from her wedding to Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, and Judge Deborah Knott has more than enough worries to keep her busy. With her sisters-in-law dissecting every detail of the ceremony, her brothers making bookings on whether her very pregnant matron of honor will be in the church or in labor, her house torn up by carpenters and plumbers...Deborah doesn't need a murder on her wedding plate as well -- but that's exactly what she gets.
Mary
One of the best in the series. This is the one in which Deborah and Dwight get married, a new and an old murder are solved, a death sentence is overturned and all this happens within the space of about a week. M. Maron is just so good at creating a setting and building characters and their relationships to one another over the series that I'm always happy to reacquaint myself with the citizens of Colleton county, North Carolina. I'll return!
Sandy Weir
Oct 05, 2011 Sandy Weir rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sandy by: Susan
I like the use of semi-arcane local language and the enchanting chapter headers from 1873 etiquette book. The book focuses more on family and North Carolina life than specifically on mystery/crime pursuit, but I like the focus just the same. Perhaps every woman would like to step into Deborah Knott's shoes (or robe?) for a while to soak up warm, family and community values? And, yes! Time for her to get married (best choice).
Nikki
Judge Deborah Knott is finally getting married but, since she's marrying a law enforcement officer, even their wedding preparations are interrupted by murder. The oft-used trope of amateur sleuth involved with official crimesolver is done very well by Margaret Maron, especially since there's the twist that Deborah is required to be impartial in her job. Her large family is always entertaining and I love "visiting" Colleton County.
Galen Johnson
When an attorney and her daughter are killed on the freeway, Deborah Knott and her husband-to-be try to balance the business of the holiday season and their pre-wedding social schedule with finding the killer and the story behind the woman’s death.

Funny, realistic writing and situations, a fairly good balance of life and mystery, and a good continuation of the series. Recommended for those familiar with the series.
Patty
Predictable fun. Pleasurable read.
Bonnie
This is #11 of the Deborah Knott series. Loved this book. Judge Deborah Knott ties the “knot” and of course is involved in solving yet another murder --an assistant district attorney is shot while driving her car. The murdered assistant district attorney was looking into a case where the convicted murderer is on death-row. The usual mix of great characters and intrigue!
Patty
I just love the Deborah Knott books. I've been waiting for this one -- and anyone who follows the series knows why. This is the one where Deborah takes that big leap.

The mystery was a lot of fun as well. Deborah gets tangled up in one of Dwight's investigations (again), only this time a good friend is the victim.

Looking forward to the next in the series.
Christine
Yes, another audio book. I got hooked, what can I say. I ended up listening to the series slightly out of order, but this was a little less about the murder and more about the personal life of Deborah Knott. It felt like a "gap filler" book between two more traditional murder mysteries, not that I cared because, like I said, I was hooked.
Cindy
It was entertaining, although not Maron's best. A wedding story is always fun to follow. However, one of the other plots is about a woman on death row. Other characters in the story suspect the woman's innocence. It just felt that that part of the plot was taken way too lightly. I'm hoping that #12 is a little stronger.
Gretchen
I like this series but this book had a lot of gratuitous race identification. I'm not sure why but it was particularly noticeable (perhaps because I "read" this via CD) and not related in any way to the plot. I wonder if anyone else noticed. I do like this series and am looking forward to the next.
Shirrapop
still reading this boring book...I plan on skipping a few chapters..wont make one bit of difference for the author puts in unnecessary dialog that never adds to the story. Such as one character likes ice cream..who the f cares? How does that contribute to the story? An example of untalented authors.
Debra
A colleague of Deborah's is shot while driving, resulting in the death of both her and her baby. While trying to solve this mystery, Deborah and Dwight are wrapping up wedding plans and attending dinners in their honor. After the case is solved, Deborah and Dwight tie the knot.
David-anselm
A really good read. The judge is planning her late december wedding. And of course we have a murder. A friend of the judges is shot while she is driving her car. Her adopted child was in the back of the car. Jitters, grieving, family and friends. Good read.
Rachel
A good entry in the Deborah Knott series of mysteries. Deborah is preparing for her upcomign wedding to Dwight but they also become involved in the murder of an ADA and whether a woman really should have recieved the death penalty in a case the ADA was looking into.
Carmen
Nov 19, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A good mystery book. Eleventh in the DK series. A lawyer (Tracy Johnson, a character in previous books) is murdered, along with her baby Mei. Issues: spousal abuse, blended families, marrying 'down' from your station
Marty
This was a pretty good story - enough mystery to make it interesting - stir in some human interest and love stuff - a nice mix for an easy read. Enjoyed it enough that i will probably read others by this author.
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Laughed 'Til He Died (Death on Demand, #20)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Deborah Knott (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)
  • Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4)
  • Killer Market (Deborah Knott Mysteries #5)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries #6)
  • Storm Track (Deborah Knott Mysteries #7)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • Slow Dollar (Deborah Knott Mysteries #9)
  • High Country Fall (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #10)
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)