Start by marking “A Simpler Way” as Want to Read:
A Simpler Way

A Simpler Way

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.In thoughtful, creative prose, the authors help readers connect their own personal experiences to the idea that organizations are evolving systems. With its relaxed, poetic style, A Simpler Way will ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Simpler Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simpler Way

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Leadership & Business Books
146th out of 159 books — 149 voters
The World Cafe by Juanita BrownGood to Great by James C. CollinsPrimal Leadership by Daniel GolemanPresence by Peter M. SengeLeading Quietly by Joseph L. Badaracco Jr.
LeaderShape
59th out of 63 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Keith Swenson
Feb 24, 2011 Keith Swenson rated it really liked it
I kinda loved it, I kinda hated it. If you have read it, you know what I mean. It is tough to review.

One of the reviews here compared it to those motivational posters. The book kind of has that feel, starting with 16 pages of grainy black and white full page photos. It is set in a sans-serif font with plenty of white space on the pages. The 10x10 format makes it feel more like a coffee table book than a book on organizations. However all this sells the book short.

What I liked about the book is t
Moutasem Algharati
Dec 05, 2013 Moutasem Algharati rated it it was amazing
A very provocative read that challenges many of the leadership paradigms of the 20th century. The primary goal of this book is to examine how we can make life less arduous and more delightful. Margaret Wheatley and Myron Kellner-Rogers challenge us to think differently about how to organize human activities. To me, the essence of the idea is that life tends to self-organize. Networks, patterns, and structures naturally emerge without external imposition or direction. The hypothesis is that “orga ...more
John Stepper
Dec 06, 2015 John Stepper rated it liked it
I came across this book from the notes in (the excellent) "Reinventing Organizations." And I can see the impact of the thinking in "A Simpler Way" as the authors capture the limits of our model of organizations:

"When we view organizations as machine-like objects, unavoidably they become complexities of structure, policy, and roles. We build rigid structures incapable of responding. We box ourselves in behind hard boundaries breached only by hostile forays. We create places of fear. We shrink fro
katemfs
Nov 26, 2015 katemfs rated it really liked it
1. I love Meg Wheatley. I want to apprentice with her.
2. I started this on the airplane between Albany, NY and Chicago. I was flying for business.
3. I marveled at another passenger through the flight: his EMS socks, his Cornell inbox, his big flannel shirt and his boyishly handsome face. He was traveling with his beautiful, dark-haired wife in Brooks sneakers and their two young children. It was the Monday before Thanksgiving, and they were connecting in Chicago to somewhere distant. They repres
Janet
I was introduced to Margaret Wheatley through this book as a part of a graduate course on Leadership and Organizational behavior, taught by a former priest turned organizational development HR specialist. The course was life changing in how I viewed business, systems,teams, etc. It led, along with many concurrent life changes, started me on a course of discovery on how to truly create a company that was a place where it was truly win-win-win.

Wheatley is on the bleeding edge of thought leaders a
Najma
Nov 24, 2014 Najma rated it really liked it
I had to read this book, relate the chaos, self-organization, messiness and emergence concepts to the organization that I have had experience with. It was one of my projects for one of my doctorate courses in school. Very interesting concepts.
Laurie
Sep 01, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
A Simpler Way by Margaret Wheatley & Myron Kellner Rogers.
Systems organize themselves. A breakthrough book for me. Prose and illustrations are beautiful - like an art book.
"Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.
Jeremy
Dec 10, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
This book takes the often challenging language and concepts used to explain human systems theory and turns it into poetry. A simpler way can be read on different levels. I have found it to be spiritually evocative, others may read it as an essay on occupational development, while others may experience it for its beautiful layout, including the composition of the photographs. I wish more books on complex subjects could be this interesting to look at and take in.
beth
Oct 12, 2007 beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to let go of control and know the universe has it all under control without us...
Meg Wheatley brings a unique perspective, blending science and philosophy as a way of looking at people and organizations. The premise is truly that nature self organizes, we as people do not need to "control" things like we sometimes think we need to, people, nature, the world will self-organize, with or without our "help".

Easy read that makes me reconsider my beliefs and actions.
Adrienne
Feb 21, 2011 Adrienne rated it did not like it
It's a book version of those awful inspirational posters you see in doctors' offices. I put it down when I got to one of nine hundred rhetorical questions: "What are you becoming?" -"Becoming becoming."

Long book that manages to say almost nothing.
Peep Laja
Dec 29, 2007 Peep Laja rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
How to organize life, business, anything better - by learning from the nature and using self-organization. The book seemed too slow for me - it felt like I was half way through the book, but it still hadn't made a point. Very fluffy and poetic.
Sara
May 09, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Thought-provoking at first, but reads like one long string of aphorisms. I got tired of the repetition and wished for a bit more clear organization in the book. And yet I recognize that this was part of the author's whole point.
Erin
A book about the concept of emergence, in business and in life--very poetic.

Now I want to read her other book, Leadership and the New Science.
Cindy
Aug 09, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book about the natural order of things.
Kathryn
Sep 30, 2007 Kathryn marked it as to-read
recommended by beth
Elle O'Dee
Elle O'Dee marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Helle
Helle marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Kasey
Kasey added it
Jan 30, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Jan Pool
Jan Pool rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Keron Best
Keron Best rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Jeffrey Whitlock
Jeffrey Whitlock marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Mickey Kovari
Mickey Kovari marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Kenneth Mikkelsen
Kenneth Mikkelsen rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Lewis Rumford
Lewis Rumford rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Heiki Eesmaa
Heiki Eesmaa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Birth of the Chaordic Age
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • Maslow on Management
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • The Skilled Facilitator
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • Organizing Genius: The Secrets of Creative Collaboration
  • Leading in a Culture of Change

“We are, always, poets, exploring possibilities of meaning in a world which is also all the time exploring possibilities.” 6 likes
“The future cannot be determined. I can only be experienced as it is occurring. Life doesn't know what it will be until it notices what it has become.” 5 likes