A Simpler Way

A Simpler Way

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.In thoughtful, creative prose, the authors help readers connect their own personal experiences to the idea that organizations are evolving systems. With its relaxed, poetic style, A Simpler Way will...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 1996)

Keith Swenson
I kinda loved it, I kinda hated it. If you have read it, you know what I mean. It is tough to review.

One of the reviews here compared it to those motivational posters. The book kind of has that feel, starting with 16 pages of grainy black and white full page photos. It is set in a sans-serif font with plenty of white space on the pages. The 10x10 format makes it feel more like a coffee table book than a book on organizations. However all this sells the book short.

What I liked about the book is t...more
Janet
I was introduced to Margaret Wheatley through this book as a part of a graduate course on Leadership and Organizational behavior, taught by a former priest turned organizational development HR specialist. The course was life changing in how I viewed business, systems,teams, etc. It led, along with many concurrent life changes, started me on a course of discovery on how to truly create a company that was a place where it was truly win-win-win.

Wheatley is on the bleeding edge of thought leaders a...more
Moutasem Algharati
A very provocative read that challenges many of the leadership paradigms of the 20th century. The primary goal of this book is to examine how we can make life less arduous and more delightful. Margaret Wheatley and Myron Kellner-Rogers challenge us to think differently about how to organize human activities. To me, the essence of the idea is that life tends to self-organize. Networks, patterns, and structures naturally emerge without external imposition or direction. The hypothesis is that “orga...more
Laurie
A Simpler Way by Margaret Wheatley & Myron Kellner Rogers.
Systems organize themselves. A breakthrough book for me. Prose and illustrations are beautiful - like an art book.
"Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.
In thoughtful, creative prose, the authors help readers connect their own personal experiences to the idea that organizations are evolving system...more
Jeremy
This book takes the often challenging language and concepts used to explain human systems theory and turns it into poetry. A simpler way can be read on different levels. I have found it to be spiritually evocative, others may read it as an essay on occupational development, while others may experience it for its beautiful layout, including the composition of the photographs. I wish more books on complex subjects could be this interesting to look at and take in.
beth
Oct 12, 2007 beth rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people who want to let go of control and know the universe has it all under control without us...
Meg Wheatley brings a unique perspective, blending science and philosophy as a way of looking at people and organizations. The premise is truly that nature self organizes, we as people do not need to "control" things like we sometimes think we need to, people, nature, the world will self-organize, with or without our "help".

Easy read that makes me reconsider my beliefs and actions.
Adrienne
It's a book version of those awful inspirational posters you see in doctors' offices. I put it down when I got to one of nine hundred rhetorical questions: "What are you becoming?" -"Becoming becoming."

Long book that manages to say almost nothing.
Peep Laja
Dec 29, 2007 Peep Laja rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone
How to organize life, business, anything better - by learning from the nature and using self-organization. The book seemed too slow for me - it felt like I was half way through the book, but it still hadn't made a point. Very fluffy and poetic.
Sara
Thought-provoking at first, but reads like one long string of aphorisms. I got tired of the repetition and wished for a bit more clear organization in the book. And yet I recognize that this was part of the author's whole point.
Erin
A book about the concept of emergence, in business and in life--very poetic.

Now I want to read her other book, Leadership and the New Science.
Cindy
Brilliant book about the natural order of things.
Kathryn
Sep 30, 2007 Kathryn marked it as to-read
recommended by beth
Karin Van
Karin Van marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Fivekitten
Fivekitten marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Tanya Negrey
Tanya Negrey marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Feb 03, 2014
Janice Elias
Janice Elias marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Jessa Green
Jessa Green marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Chade66
Chade66 marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
فهمي الباحث
فهمي الباحث marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now Perseverance Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time

“We are, always, poets, exploring possibilities of meaning in a world which is also all the time exploring possibilities.” 5 likes
“The future cannot be determined. I can only be experienced as it is occurring. Life doesn't know what it will be until it notices what it has become.” 4 likes