Start by marking “A Simpler Way” as Want to Read:
A Simpler Way

A Simpler Way

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.In thoughtful, creative prose, the authors help readers connect their own personal experiences to the idea that organizations are evolving systems. With its relaxed, poetic style, A Simpler Way will ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Simpler Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simpler Way

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyHow to be Successful in Present Day World by Pradeep ChaswalSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinWalking the Corporate Beat by Michael TabmanHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Leadership & Business Books
111th out of 115 books — 116 voters
The World Cafe by Juanita BrownLeading Quietly by Joseph L. Badaracco Jr.Managing The Dream by Warren G. BennisVoices of Diversity by Renee BlankStewardship by Peter Block
LeaderShape
59th out of 63 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Keith Swenson
I kinda loved it, I kinda hated it. If you have read it, you know what I mean. It is tough to review.

One of the reviews here compared it to those motivational posters. The book kind of has that feel, starting with 16 pages of grainy black and white full page photos. It is set in a sans-serif font with plenty of white space on the pages. The 10x10 format makes it feel more like a coffee table book than a book on organizations. However all this sells the book short.

What I liked about the book is t
Janet
I was introduced to Margaret Wheatley through this book as a part of a graduate course on Leadership and Organizational behavior, taught by a former priest turned organizational development HR specialist. The course was life changing in how I viewed business, systems,teams, etc. It led, along with many concurrent life changes, started me on a course of discovery on how to truly create a company that was a place where it was truly win-win-win.

Wheatley is on the bleeding edge of thought leaders a
Najma
I had to read this book, relate the chaos, self-organization, messiness and emergence concepts to the organization that I have had experience with. It was one of my projects for one of my doctorate courses in school. Very interesting concepts.
Moutasem Algharati
A very provocative read that challenges many of the leadership paradigms of the 20th century. The primary goal of this book is to examine how we can make life less arduous and more delightful. Margaret Wheatley and Myron Kellner-Rogers challenge us to think differently about how to organize human activities. To me, the essence of the idea is that life tends to self-organize. Networks, patterns, and structures naturally emerge without external imposition or direction. The hypothesis is that “orga ...more
Laurie
A Simpler Way by Margaret Wheatley & Myron Kellner Rogers.
Systems organize themselves. A breakthrough book for me. Prose and illustrations are beautiful - like an art book.
"Constructed around five major themes -- play, organization, self, emergence, and coherence -- A Simpler Way challenges the way we live and work, presenting a profound worldview.
Jeremy
This book takes the often challenging language and concepts used to explain human systems theory and turns it into poetry. A simpler way can be read on different levels. I have found it to be spiritually evocative, others may read it as an essay on occupational development, while others may experience it for its beautiful layout, including the composition of the photographs. I wish more books on complex subjects could be this interesting to look at and take in.
beth
Oct 12, 2007 beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to let go of control and know the universe has it all under control without us...
Meg Wheatley brings a unique perspective, blending science and philosophy as a way of looking at people and organizations. The premise is truly that nature self organizes, we as people do not need to "control" things like we sometimes think we need to, people, nature, the world will self-organize, with or without our "help".

Easy read that makes me reconsider my beliefs and actions.
Adrienne
It's a book version of those awful inspirational posters you see in doctors' offices. I put it down when I got to one of nine hundred rhetorical questions: "What are you becoming?" -"Becoming becoming."

Long book that manages to say almost nothing.
Peep Laja
Dec 29, 2007 Peep Laja rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
How to organize life, business, anything better - by learning from the nature and using self-organization. The book seemed too slow for me - it felt like I was half way through the book, but it still hadn't made a point. Very fluffy and poetic.
Sara
Thought-provoking at first, but reads like one long string of aphorisms. I got tired of the repetition and wished for a bit more clear organization in the book. And yet I recognize that this was part of the author's whole point.
Erin
A book about the concept of emergence, in business and in life--very poetic.

Now I want to read her other book, Leadership and the New Science.
Cindy
Brilliant book about the natural order of things.
Kathryn
Sep 30, 2007 Kathryn marked it as to-read
recommended by beth
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Jeanny
Jeanny marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Lalena
Lalena marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Brandice
Brandice marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Richard Saunders
Richard Saunders marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
John Mayfield
John Mayfield marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Sunny123
Sunny123 is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Shahar.mendigmail.com
Shahar.mendigmail.com marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Nghia Truong
Nghia Truong marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Sarah added it
Feb 05, 2015
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Maslow on Management
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • Organizing Genius
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • Visual Teams: Graphic Tools for Commitment, Innovation, & High Performance
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
  • Stuff
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • The Skilled Facilitator
Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now Perseverance Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time

“We are, always, poets, exploring possibilities of meaning in a world which is also all the time exploring possibilities.” 6 likes
“The future cannot be determined. I can only be experienced as it is occurring. Life doesn't know what it will be until it notices what it has become.” 5 likes