Start by marking “Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies” as Want to Read:

"There are ancient secrets and lessons hidden in nature. If you seek for guidance, you will discover truth." —Bobby Lake-ThomMuch of the ancient knowledge that has been passed down from Native American medicine men, or shamans is in danger of being lost. Bobby Lake-Thom, a Native American healer known as Medicine Grizzly Bear, has sought to preserve this powerful heritage ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Spirits of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirits of the Earth

Jon
Mar 27, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing
I am reading this right now, on loan. I really love this book by Bobby Lake-Thom. A good guide for the modern person trying to re-acquaint themselves with the natural world all around them. As we are continually bombarded with day to day life in a modern world full of tasks far removed from or distracting from the natural world it is great to have someone show us the path back to our friendship with the earth around us. .. ...
Kenley Raye
Apr 01, 2013 Kenley Raye rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and continue to return to it constantly. It has such great advice and wisdom. A must have book for anyone's book shelf!
Jonellys Maldonado
Aug 29, 2013 Jonellys Maldonado rated it it was amazing
"The Mother Earth is not only becoming polluted but she is also becoming weak and very sick... If she dies, we all die; it is as simple as that. Thus, what I have tried to present here is not a metaphysical and romantic motion but a different form of truth and reality"

This book is filled with knowledge on the Native American legends as well as with a deep understanding of communicating with Mother Nature. keeping an open mind is a must if you plan on reading it!
Emily
May 19, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
This book sets out to teach the reader about various Native American cultures, their symbols, stories, and ceremonies. It does this without being too dry or dense - this is book that a lot of people could pick up and read if they wanted. The author is an expert in his field, as he is a modern day medicine man. This book could have gone into MUCH greater detail about a lot of the information within, I'm sure, but then it would be much dryer and harder to read. This is something I'd recommend to t ...more
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. First published in 1997, it takes me back to my younger days of learning about various earth-based spiritualities. I very much like the many stories about animals, insects, reptiles, and birds from our part of the world. I also value the reverence and respect for the teachings of the elders. Many stories from many different nations. Inviting images.
Michelle
Mar 06, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I first read this book as I was trying to figure out the symbolism of a dream-tiger, and then I found it such an incredible book I couldn't put it down and I find myself reading it over and over again. Bobby Lake-Thom explains the importance of communicating with Mother Earth and respecting Nature. There is always this conflict between intuitive thinking and rational thinking in our society. He uncovers this mysterious world of animal spirits and their meaning in our lives. It is such an insight ...more
Jessica
Dec 31, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Really interesting stories to go with many of the animals. Well researched and respectful. A quick easy read (took me so long b/c I ordered it but it never came...) Inspires many images and stories in my head, even after reading. It is missing some animals I would be interested in knowing what he thought about them but such is life. I would read more by him and suggest to a friend interested in these things.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
It's a modern perspective, but still very mystical. The various stories -- even one about how the stories were started by the big rock -- are interesting, as are the meaning of the various animal signs. Taken to the extent suggested eliminates self-determinism.
Michael Cozzi
Jul 14, 2012 Michael Cozzi rated it it was amazing
I had to revisit this book after being visited by a king snake at camp in Zion Canyon National Park. The king snake is a good sign and a healing power. My family and friends know the importance of this visit to me .
George
May 14, 2009 George rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book
Non-Fiction
Was a reference book specified in a class on native American religious perspectives.
Robert Lake-Thorm has many interesting stories.
I'm still trying to understand many of his viewpoints.
Kat
Jun 25, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
So far it is informational and very interesting. It is a lot of information to take in. I am not very far either so I still have a lot to read, but what I've read so far, I have learned a lot so far.
Cat
Oct 12, 2011 Cat rated it really liked it
I liked it even though I didn't agree with all of it. I still got some things out of it and I did enjoy the personal stories in it. Worth a read.
Shelly frye-sandula
love this book! i learned alot about animal totems and signs from nature.
PWRL
Aug 30, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Suzette Barrera
Suzette Barrera marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Brandy
Brandy rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Valera
Valera marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Lisa Smit
Lisa Smit marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Japa
Japa marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Monica Holbrook
Monica Holbrook marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
James Fadeley
James Fadeley rated it really liked it
Lia
Lia added it
Brad Lee
Brad Lee marked it as to-read
Andrea Share
Andrea Share marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
L.L. Gappa
L.L. Gappa marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • 365 Days of Walking the Red Road: The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance
  • American Indian Healing Arts: Herbs, Rituals, and Remedies for Every Season of Life
  • The Sacred Tree
  • Proud Spirit: Lessons, Insights & Healing From 'the Voice Of The Spirit World'
  • The Wisdom of the Native Americans: Including The Soul of an Indian and Other Writings of Ohiyesa and the Great Speeches of Red Jacket, Chief Joseph, and Chief Seattle
  • Medicine of the Cherokee: The Way of Right Relationship
  • Earth Quest - Earth Medicine: Revealing Hidden Treasures of the Native American Medicine Wheel - a Shamanic Way to Self-discovery
  • Signs and Symbols
  • The Lore of Love (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Shamanic Journeying