Start by marking “Nature Religion in America: From the Algonkian Indians to the New Age” as Want to Read:
Nature Religion in America: From the Algonkian Indians to the New Age

Nature Religion in America: From the Algonkian Indians to the New Age

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This ground-breaking study reveals an unorganized and previously unacknowledged religion at the heart of American culture. Nature, Albanese argues, has provided a compelling religious center throughout American history.
Published September 24th 1991 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Nature Religion in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nature Religion in America

Jessicarr
Jul 06, 2009 Jessicarr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jessicarr by: Exam List
I loved this book for a lot of reasons, but perhaps most significantly because it traces the connections between nature and religion in America not only through transcendentalism, liberals and the margins, but shows the importance of nature to mainstream Americans, yet also their ambivalence or requisite moderate posture toward it.
I'm very sorry that this was never assigned in of my coursework and seminars, and I think that although her new work develops her theory about metaphysics and America,
Robin
Albanese definitely presents a compelling argument but, ultimately, suffers from a hard-to-follow argument. She goes on tangents at times and at times what should be the driving points of her arguments become skewed and easily missed within her writing. In the end, I'm still only half-sure of her argument and, therefore, unconvinced of it.
Mel
Dec 08, 2013 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
I'd like to read this book again in a few years, when I don't have small children constantly distracting me. It was really interesting, but it definitely requires sustained concentration to follow the arguments. I'd also like to be more familiar with the primary sources, particularly the Transcendentalists.
Stephie Jane Rexroth
Stephie Jane Rexroth marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Bart Everson
Bart Everson marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Kane
Kane marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Nov 28, 2012
Mark Fitzpatrick
Mark Fitzpatrick marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2012
Will
Will added it
Nov 05, 2012
Kosjitov
Kosjitov marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
Feb 15, 2012
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2011
A Republic of Mind and Spirit: A Cultural History of American Metaphysical Religion America Religions and Religion The Spirituality of American Transcendentalists: Selected Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Amos Bronson Alcott, Theodore Parker, and Henry David Thoreau Reconsidering Nature Religion American Spiritualities: A Reader