Adirondack Tragedy: The Gillette Murder Case of 1906

Adirondack Tragedy: The Gillette Murder Case of 1906

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Relive the heart-wrenching story of one of the most famous crimes in New York's history; the murder of Grace Brown by Chester Gillette at Big Moose Lake. Made famous by a media frenzy fueled by the sensational newspaper reporting of 1906, this "crime of the century" seeped into the American culture. The story of Chester and Grace was the inspiration for Theodore Dreiser's...more
Published June 11th 2004 by Nicholas K. Burns Pub. (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Adirondack Tragedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adirondack Tragedy

Michele
I loved An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser. It was my favorite book in high school (still have the copy I had then...makes it darn near an antique). That book was based on this murder case. I've enjoyed this book, but it seems like a very general overview...a glorified summary. There's no "in depth", not even speculation (since it happened so long ago and no one is left to remember). I did like the fact / fiction comparison. I would recommend it to someone who was curious about the events.
Lisa
Oct 25, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True crime fans and New Yorkers.
Recommended to Lisa by: Aunt Jean
Shelves: true-crime
This outstanding true-crime history is the basis of both "An American Tragedy" by Theodore Dreiser, and the excellent film "A Place in the Sun" starring Miss Elizabeth Taylor as one of the most radiant visions ever to grace a movie screen. Anyway, the story takes place in Upstate New York. Loosely related to the Gillettes (the rich razor-blade Gillettes), a social-climbing young man shacks up with the wrong girl and inconveniently knocks her up. She presses the issue, and, having another, richer...more
Anne
Oct 26, 2009 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed "An American Tragedy" or "A Place in the Sun."
Shelves: nonfiction, history
The true story behind "An American Tragedy" and "A Place in the Sun." The humanity of the two main players - Grace Brown and Chester Gillette - is palpable. Such a sad, sad tale that is reenacted in some way every day.
Ethan
The book "Adirondack Tragedy" by Joseph W. Brownell is a true story of a terrible tragedy. The book contains many letter that Chester Gillette and Grace Brown shared before her death. It also gives a great view of life in the early 1900s in upstate New York. The book also follows the story from start to end which is great because it does not leave you hanging. Overall this book was very insitful and i liked it alot.
Becky
Very good with the facts but kind of dry. I just expected a murder mystery to be a bit more juicy.
Evangelia Amirhom
I've asked a medium on this case and she told me that grace was murdered by having her face in water.
she also said that Chester murdered her because she wanted to leave him and if he couldn't have her ,no one could.
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Katie Tracy
Katie Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Leah Farrell
Leah Farrell marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Griffin
Griffin marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Jemera Rone
Jemera Rone marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Trush
Trush added it
Apr 05, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Lennon Young
Lennon Young marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013