Start by marking “The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior” as Want to Read:
The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior

The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Phenomenal color photographs form the cornerstone of Attenborough's new book which, along with its companion TV series, picks up where the first two left off. Life on earth traced the development of animal life from its beginnings.
Published April 1st 1991 by Little Brown & Co. (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Life

Greg
A short review, a longish aside with some personal ramblings and pictures of animals!

I really really liked this book. I thought about giving it five stars, but because I'm class-ocentric and I enjoyed Life of Mammals better, I felt my star ratings should show this distinction. Currently, or as current as when I was reading this, I am reading two animal books. One was great and one so far sucks. This is the great one.

Note: If David Attenborough would make a beautiful book / five part BBC documen
Amy
Really interesting. This is the companion book to the documentary series that came out when I was a teen. I love David Attenborough!
Sam
An exciting and indepth look it how life on earth begins, survives and passes on its knowledge to the next generation, this book looks at the different adaptations, skills and methods used by species and species groups to survive and pass on its genes. Attenborough takes the reader through life chapter by chapter revealing the different styles and methods used for each with descriptive and readable language without losing any of the drama or knowledge that comes with it. This book covers everyth ...more
Maryanne
The Trials of Life 07182005
A Natural History of Animal Behavior David Attenborough
Dark-Draco
This book is excellent. It charts the trials that animals have to face during their life, from growing up, to finding food and a mate, from defence to making a home. It is fascinating stuff, especially the amazing colour plates that are included throughout the text. And although some of the stuff Attenborough is describing is pretty complicated, it comes across in a good, easy way, so the reading of this book is a pleasure rather than a chore. Well worth the read.
Noah Jensen
this book is realy interesting, i love the anumal kingdom so this book is perfect 4 me. 2 interesting facts i learned 2day kangaros have a musle in their pouch that closes in watter so the baby is in no danger of drouning, and that a baby goat is a kid.
Pramod Nair
Another personal favorite of mine. This book is simply awesome. The photographs alone makes this a really wonderful treat for all those who are intrigued by the nature, natural history and animal behavior.
Nilu R.
If you love animals and natural history, this is a great light read. It is written well, and organized like a nature show. I have re-read this book several times, enjoying it each time.
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Nour
Nour marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Duncan
Duncan added it
May 14, 2015
Narmadha
Narmadha marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
ForgeChivalry Targaryen
ForgeChivalry Targaryen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Viktoria
Viktoria marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Keziah Bowden
Keziah Bowden marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • Frozen Planet
  • The Emerald Planet: How Plants Changed Earth's History
  • The Tapir's Morning Bath: Mysteries of the Tropical Rain Forest and the Scientists Who Are Trying to Solve Them
  • For Love of Insects
  • Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
  • The Great Dinosaur Debate: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction
  • Adventures among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions
  • The Wisdom of Birds: An Illustrated History of Ornithology
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • Kanzi: The Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind
  • The Peregrine
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher
  • Darwin's Ghost: The Origin of Species Updated
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
Sir David Frederick Attenborough is a naturalist and broadcaster, who is most well-known for writing and presenting the nine "Life" series, produced in conjunction with BBC's Natural History Unit. The series includes Life on Earth (1979), The Living Planet (1984), The Trials of Life (1990), Life in the Freezer (about Antarctica; 1993), The Private Life of Plants (1995), The Life of Birds (1998), T ...more
More about David Attenborough...
David Attenborough's Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster Life on Earth The Life of Birds The Life of Mammals The Living Planet