Acting In Film: An Actors Take On Moviemaking Paprback (The Applause Acting)

Acting In Film: An Actors Take On Moviemaking Paprback (The Applause Acting)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The actor shares personal insights on the technique of acting, and the business of making a film.
Published May 1st 2000 by Applause Books (first published December 31st 1989)

Kat
I bought this book a few years ago when I was cast in my first film role, to prepare me for working on set, to understand how movie making works and what my role would be, what working with other actors and film crew would be like. I burst with excitement when I got the role and was sweaty and nervous; convinced I was going to blow it - and this book helped me through it. I made it out on the other side in one piece and had a lot of fun getting there.

It's a very handy practical guide to day-to-d...more
Alex
Great advice on acting and life... I read this in one sitting.

It's mostly pictures and the type is large. In all it's a quick read with some interesting ideas especially for people who want to be actors.
Jonathan Schiefer
It's hard to imagine a stage in an actor's career when this wouldn't be useful. Michael Caine is brilliant. How often does an actor of his caliber talk about how it's done? Yeah, I liked it.
Yosef Beyene

If you're interested in being an actor for film, this is essential reading.
Sincere Sincere
Simple, informative and straight to the point. I prefer the older novels over the new ones. The new ones are filled with empty words!
Julia
Loved it!! I read a lot of acting books but not to many are as good as this one. Most acting books have annoying step by step instructions but they don't give any examples!!! In this book he backs every piece of advice with a story. It's both good for acting and it's nice and entertaining! It has stories when he worked with Sylvester Stallone, when he auditioned for his first motion picture, etc. He tells us everything!!!
I re-read this book after about 10 years after having a conversation with a colleague about how it's a pretty good guide for people who are media spokespeople. It's a quick read -- I read it start to finish while in-flight on a business trip. It was just as good as I remembered. Of course, not all of it is applicable to work, but I love the insights about the complexity of the movie business.
Michael
Michael Caine's new book The Elephant to Hollywood reminded me that I had read this one. It teaches lots of specific things that you only learn with experience, but this book is old enough that everything in it is probably online somewhere.

I enjoyed the way he weaved his lesson or teaching with an experience of his own.
Liz Chapman
Lots of good advice and info here. I think Michael Caine is as neurotic as he is passionate about the craft. Maybe even more than I am. There's a nice balance here between practical advice for actors interested in making movies, and good acting tips in general. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in acting.
Stephanie
Sep 03, 2008 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: actors and/or movie buffs
Shelves: movies-acting
A very entertaining, short, helpful, addictive read. I bought this on a whim, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the few (if not the only) successful blind book purchase(s) I've made (Da Vinci Code, anyone? blegh). I read it straight through from start to finish, and will probably reference back to it in the future.
John
A transcript of a lecture Michael Caine gave, it's an excellent collection of almost-disjointed thoughts on one of the most successful actors of the last few decades. His unique path gives him unique insight - not only into acting - but into interacting with people up and down the economic food chain.
Elizabeth
I like how this book is by someone who you feel like you know because you've seen so much of his work. You know what he says is spot on because he's worked forever. It's pretty much general self-help, not the most thrilling or inspiring acting book. But there is some very practical good advice.
Eugene
Whether you are an actor or just interested, this book is great, from a great. I gotta say, Michael Caine is pretty extraordinary and consistent. Then again, I suppose he could have written a pamphlet on hard drive installation and it would be every bit as truthful, direct, and easy to read.
Matt
This is a great book on acting written by one of the greats himself; the suave and brilliant Michael Caine. Caine doesn’t really elaborate much on technique as he does decorum for getting the job and making your life on set easier so you can do your job to the best of your abilities and shine.
Victoria Weinstein
I love Michael Caine, and I picked this up at a used bookstore in London. What he has to say about acting is true for preachers as well. It's great advice, fun and juicy anecdotes and Michael Caine... how can you argue with that? You can't. A quick read, and so enjoyable.
I was so pleased to read such sound advice from an erudite, wonderfully talented individual, who has done so much successful work, you know his wisdom is one he can back up with a lifetime of excellent performances. A must read for anyone interested in film acting.
Erin
After reading this you will realize that Michael Caine is kind of a pompous....you know (that is, if you didn't already know that before hand). However, dude does know his stuff, so I say it is useful for all those aspiring actors out there.
Michelle
Great "blue collar" approach to acting -- it's about the day-in-day-out, hard-ass work it takes to be an actor. All in Caine's distinctive voice. ie "The director is the guv'ner..." Reading it is like having him narrate in your head.
Antonia Marrero
Michael Caine knows the film business, he knows what he is talking about. I learned so much from reading his book. This is the type of book that I could continue to read and discover great treasures each time.
Kayla
I had to read this for my Acting for Film & TV class. It was a quick and easy read. He blended his lessons with his own experiences, melding both advice and anecdotes together wonderfully.
Nathan
Jul 07, 2007 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: actors
The best book about film acting I've ever read.

Basic advice:

-Know your lines.
-Don't think too much.

You'd be surprised how hard this is for the vast majority of actors.
Nikki
Im glad I read this. Great acting book. ever actor should read it. Acting advice and tips that you could only get from a successful actor such as Michael Caine.
Jared Zehm
Again, a kind of specialty read ~ if you like the man. Or if you are interested in acting or filmmaking this is a quick read with some useful tidbits ~
Abdullah H.
Less is more. This book is a MUST for every actor
as it's a very good acting SCHOOL which will
give you years of experience in 146 pages at $19.99.
Staci
This book is Michael's Caine's tips for what actors in movies should and shouldn't do; it is not a full acting technique manual.
Larissia
Super read! Highly recommend for anyone who would like insight into the world of acting in film making.
Danne
Excellent! Full of great advice and circumstance for anyone contemplating a life as an actor in film.
Nicholas
Basically it reminds you, as an actor, to do the work and don't be an asshole while doing it.
Anthony Meindl
Great advice dished out with Caine's witty humor. Great read!
Jason
Amazing and insightful. Another must-read for actors!
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
  • Towards a Poor Theatre
  • Making Movies
  • The Empty Space: A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate
  • Directing Actors
Sir Michael Caine, CBE was born Maurice Joseph Micklewaite in poverty near Elephant and Castle in South London. His first major starring role was Alfie in the 1960s. He is now a major Hollywood film star and two time Academy Award winner.
More about Michael Caine...
The Elephant to Hollywood What's It All About Not Many People Know That: Michael Caine's Almanac Of Amazing Information (Coronet Books) Michael Caine - Acting in Film: An Actor's Take on Movie Making (The Applause Acting Series) Revised Expanded Edition And Not Many People Know This, Either!

“Actually, I'm really quite vain about the whole problem because I figure there is no competition - I am what I am, and either I am needed as that or I'm not suitable anyway.” 1 likes