Start by marking “Acting In Film: An Actors Take On Moviemaking Paprback (The Applause Acting)” as Want to Read:
Acting In Film: An Actors Take On Moviemaking Paprback (The Applause Acting)

Acting In Film: An Actors Take On Moviemaking Paprback (The Applause Acting)

The actor shares personal insights on the technique of acting, and the business of making a film.
Published May 1st 2000 by Applause Theatre & Cinema Book Publishers (first published December 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Acting In Film, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acting In Film

Kat
I bought this book a few years ago when I was cast in my first film role, to prepare me for working on set, to understand how movie making works and what my role would be, what working with other actors and film crew would be like. I burst with excitement when I got the role and was sweaty and nervous; convinced I was going to blow it - and this book helped me through it. I made it out on the other side in one piece and had a lot of fun getting there.

It's a very handy practical guide to day-to-d
Alexandria Bianca
Sep 06, 2014 Alexandria Bianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some wonderful insights to film acting. I felt like this book was a little too broad but I will definitely take some of his advice. Great stuff! :)
Alisha
Apr 07, 2017 Alisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes for me: This was a re-read for me. My Chaucer bookstore bookmark was about 3/4 of the way through.

It makes sense that this was transcribed and compiled from a two day acting class that Caine gave. It is short and a very fast read. It is a quick dirty intro to acting on film, right down to marks and continuity. I had already learned most of his lessons in terms of film sets but it was a nice refresher and reminder especially about not getting in people's way. I tend to be so goofy happy to
Paul Lyons
Despite the fact the book is overpriced, too short, too vague, and littered with more photographs than copy, there is some value in Michael Caine's "Acting In Film: An Actor's Take On Movie Making." I did very much enjoy what Caine had to say, even when I did not understand what he was talking about.

Film acting is indeed different from theater acting, as Michael Caine is quick to point out. There is a lot of technique involved in order to effectively portray a role on camera. On stage, a thespia
Alex
Aug 29, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great advice on acting and life... I read this in one sitting.

It's mostly pictures and the type is large. In all it's a quick read with some interesting ideas especially for people who want to be actors.
Jon Schiefer
Jul 19, 2012 Jon Schiefer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to imagine a stage in an actor's career when this wouldn't be useful. Michael Caine is brilliant. How often does an actor of his caliber talk about how it's done? Yeah, I liked it.
Yosef Beyene
May 14, 2012 Yosef Beyene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you're interested in being an actor for film, this is essential reading.
Arash Kamangir
Dec 02, 2015 Arash Kamangir rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
هنرپیشه ی خوب لزوما حرفی برای گفتن نداره.
Mike
Nov 21, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a shorter book than I expected. Nevertheless, it has a great deal of valuable advice, especially for actors working in the movies. I don't anticipate doing this myself in the near future, but I do a bit of acting on stage (as an amateur) and some of what Caine says here is applicable to that. I like his basic down to earth approach, no frills, just good solid hard work. It's his professionalism that shines through in this book. Don't think of being an actor (a professional one, anyway) ...more
Julia's
Sep 21, 2013 Julia's rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! I read a lot of acting books but not to many are as good as this one. Most acting books have annoying step by step instructions but they don't give any examples!!! In this book he backs every piece of advice with a story. It's both good for acting and it's nice and entertaining! It has stories when he worked with Sylvester Stallone, when he auditioned for his first motion picture, etc. He tells us everything!!!
Michael
Oct 23, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Caine's new book The Elephant to Hollywood reminded me that I had read this one. It teaches lots of specific things that you only learn with experience, but this book is old enough that everything in it is probably online somewhere.

I enjoyed the way he weaved his lesson or teaching with an experience of his own.
Stephanie
Sep 02, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: actors and/or movie buffs
Shelves: movies-acting
A very entertaining, short, helpful, addictive read. I bought this on a whim, and I'm pretty sure it's one of the few (if not the only) successful blind book purchase(s) I've made (Da Vinci Code, anyone? blegh). I read it straight through from start to finish, and will probably reference back to it in the future.
John
Mar 10, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enhancement
A transcript of a lecture Michael Caine gave, it's an excellent collection of almost-disjointed thoughts on one of the most successful actors of the last few decades. His unique path gives him unique insight - not only into acting - but into interacting with people up and down the economic food chain.
Liz Chapman
May 20, 2012 Liz Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good advice and info here. I think Michael Caine is as neurotic as he is passionate about the craft. Maybe even more than I am. There's a nice balance here between practical advice for actors interested in making movies, and good acting tips in general. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in acting.
Mahaakshay Chakraborty
When you are reading a book on acting by air Michael Caine you know it's going to be amazing. But this book was beyond amazing. It gives you amazing insights upon acting and simple guidelines that can be learnt and understood by everyone. This book is for every budding actor and I recommend it to all who love the acting business.
Aug 23, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book after about 10 years after having a conversation with a colleague about how it's a pretty good guide for people who are media spokespeople. It's a quick read -- I read it start to finish while in-flight on a business trip. It was just as good as I remembered. Of course, not all of it is applicable to work, but I love the insights about the complexity of the movie business.
Garrett Cash
What a treasure. Anyone who is a fan of film and especially a movie buff has to read this. It opens your eyes to what goes on in acting, and it has a wonderfully copious amount of anecdotes about the greatest directors, actors, and producers that is highly valuable to any students of the medium. It only took me about a half hour to read, and its impact will reverberate with me for much longer.
Abang
Mar 21, 2015 Abang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave a lot of knowledge and new perspective on acting and film making. Micael Caine is truly an exceptional actor, and he successfully wrote this book in a way that people of all interests can enjoy.
Elizabeth
I like how this book is by someone who you feel like you know because you've seen so much of his work. You know what he says is spot on because he's worked forever. It's pretty much general self-help, not the most thrilling or inspiring acting book. But there is some very practical good advice.
Erin
Aug 03, 2007 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays_theatre
After reading this you will realize that Michael Caine is kind of a pompous....you know (that is, if you didn't already know that before hand). However, dude does know his stuff, so I say it is useful for all those aspiring actors out there.
Brendan Nicholls
resourceful and something every actor should read. it's common sense but it's a guiding star not something shovelling down your throat. as a director i believe understanding the actor is important so this book is brilliantly simple in that context.
Michelle
Sep 06, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great "blue collar" approach to acting -- it's about the day-in-day-out, hard-ass work it takes to be an actor. All in Caine's distinctive voice. ie "The director is the guv'ner..." Reading it is like having him narrate in your head.
Matt
May 06, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-theory
This is a great book on acting written by one of the greats himself; the suave and brilliant Michael Caine. Caine doesn’t really elaborate much on technique as he does decorum for getting the job and making your life on set easier so you can do your job to the best of your abilities and shine.
Eugene
Jun 15, 2008 Eugene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you are an actor or just interested, this book is great, from a great. I gotta say, Michael Caine is pretty extraordinary and consistent. Then again, I suppose he could have written a pamphlet on hard drive installation and it would be every bit as truthful, direct, and easy to read.
Aug 06, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so pleased to read such sound advice from an erudite, wonderfully talented individual, who has done so much successful work, you know his wisdom is one he can back up with a lifetime of excellent performances. A must read for anyone interested in film acting.
Victoria Weinstein
I love Michael Caine, and I picked this up at a used bookstore in London. What he has to say about acting is true for preachers as well. It's great advice, fun and juicy anecdotes and Michael Caine... how can you argue with that? You can't. A quick read, and so enjoyable.
Anna
Apr 18, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essentially, the message is "Don't be an arse." Some nice little quotes and anecdotes, and a few practical points of advice that I found useful. A good reference for a beginner like me. Now keen to read more texts on the craft by other practitioners.
Antonia Marrero
Feb 15, 2008 Antonia Marrero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Caine knows the film business, he knows what he is talking about. I learned so much from reading his book. This is the type of book that I could continue to read and discover great treasures each time.
Bertha Leal
Jul 28, 2014 Bertha Leal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A no-frills, quick read but full of practical industry know-how's and sage advice. I liked Michael Caine's stiff upper lip, British professionalism and his admirable dedication to the craft. Superb!!!
Ashlley Elias
Jan 07, 2009 Ashlley Elias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
there is no better text for screen actors
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business
  • A Dream of Passion: The Development of the Method
  • The Actor's Art and Craft: William Esper Teaches the Meisner Technique
  • The Power of the Actor: The Chubbuck Technique -- The 12-Step Acting Technique That Will Take You from Script to a Living, Breathing, Dynamic Character
Sir Michael Caine, CBE was born Maurice Joseph Micklewaite in poverty near Elephant and Castle in South London. His first major starring role was Alfie in the 1960s. He is now a major Hollywood film star and two time Academy Award winner.
More about Michael Caine...

“Actually, I'm really quite vain about the whole problem because I figure there is no competition - I am what I am, and either I am needed as that or I'm not suitable anyway.” 2 likes