Start by marking “McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)” as Want to Read:
McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)

McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally #8)

After finding husband number two in a precarious position with an attractive young lady, Melva Williams pulls the trigger --- and readily admits to the crime passionnel. To shield her gorgeous daughter from the press and paparazzi, she turns to her longtime friend Archy McNally.

Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered, Archy stands to lose more than his patient fiancee by playi
Published July 1st 2000 by Berkley (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Dilemma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McNally's Dilemma

Michael
So So McNally story
It was only by reading the fine print that I learned that this novel was Not by Lawrence Sanders. For me Archy McNally will always remain the creation of Mr. Sanders, but I wanted to read another story about one of my favorite characters. The attempt by Vincent Lardo gave an interesting slant to McNally, but his style of writing wasn't the same as Mr. Sanders. For the first time, it was clear how the story would evolve, and that's another indication that Lawrence Sanders did
Joy
Mar 30, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
After the death of Lawrence Sanders, Vincent Lardo was picked to continue the Archy McNally series, starting with MCNALLY'S DILEMMA. Archy's long-time friend called Archy to ask for his help, because she has killed her rotter of a husband. Lardo's narratives are a little more racy, but still enjoyable to read. I thought I knew by Chapter 3 what had happened, but I didn't expect the late plot twists. I will continue reading the series.
John
Apr 03, 2016 John added it
John Grazide
Aug 02, 2016 John Grazide rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say when I started this one, knowing it wasn't Sanders, I was a little hesitant. The first few chapters were very noticeable. The "voices" are completely different. And some of the Archy-ism's seemed a little strained. When I found out about Archy's sister and family (if it was mentioned in earlier books I missed it) I was ready to give up. But then the story started to drive things. And although I was almost certain who the culprit was, the events that led up to the culmination were v ...more
Dana
Jan 12, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archy McNally's official case is to discover who is blackmailing Mr. Fairhurst about the story of his ancestor. Apparently his grandfather escaped the Titanic in drag but the family claimed he had died. What ends up being the main case is the death of Geoff Williams. His wife(Melva) has admitted to the murder. Her husband brought home his girlfriend and did the 'dirty' right in front of her causing her to kill him.

Melva asked Archy to care for her daughter(Veronica) amid the press and paparazzi.
Ed
Mar 11, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#8 in the Archy McNally series. #1 by author Lardo after seven series entries by series creator Lawrence Sanders.

Archy McNally series - Melva Williams shoots her philandering husband and asks Archy to shelter her lovely daughter Veronica. Archy investigates, involving the cast of Palm Beach characters created by Lawrence Sanders.
A Michael
Aug 14, 2016 A Michael rated it it was ok
Mr. Lardo took the names and location from the Archy McNally series, changed every character, removed the panache that Lawrence Sanders infused in each of the original seven novels, and folded this disappointing result into a poorly written murderer mystery novel. I can only hope Lardo's subsequent efforts on the Archy McNally series are better than this first effort.
Stephen
Apr 30, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Lardo did a fantastic job with Dilemma. He gave, avery much needed third dimension to Archy. Dilemma is the kind of book you want to go home too. As predictable as it was, the climaxes were nevertheless powerful. Perhaps if Jeff Wolinsky Jr. character could have been developed a little more.
Great job. I am sure Lawrence would be happy.
Kay
Jul 09, 2016 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: detective
I had not read a McNally story in a while - entertaining. Did not realize that even though the book says Lawrence Sanders is the author that it really another author, or a joint effort. It was still a good fast read to enjoy.
April Suter
Feb 08, 2015 April Suter rated it really liked it
I am so enjoying this series, especially the narrator. Archy's friend admits to killing her husband and he jumps to help her with his "Discreet Inquiries" and dapper wardrobe.
Marcia Bergeron
May 24, 2014 Marcia Bergeron rated it it was amazing
I love the McNally's series & this one had it all. Action, murder, who done it, etc. Nice way to spend the day.
Eva-lynn Diesenhaus
Jul 02, 2014 Eva-lynn Diesenhaus rated it really liked it
Had an idea of who done it but the twists were interesting and unexpected. I always enjoy this series.
Bill Donhiser
McNally's Dilemma by Lawrence Sanders & Vincent Lardo
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 1999, 275 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's (?), Palm Beach, FL
CHARACTERS: Archy McNally/investigator for father's discreet Palm Beach law office
COMMENTS: Always enjoy this series, a modern-day PG Wodehouse type. Archy is hired to shield the daughter of a friend who has just killed her husband when caught being unfaithful.
Sandi
Sep 20, 2014 Sandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-sanders
typical McNally.
Chris
Nov 24, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Archie comes to the aid of a friend who appears to have shot her husband in a jealous rage while he simultaneously investigates a case of blackmail for one of his father's wealthy clients. The more he learns about both crimes, he comes to the realization that they are somehow connected. I love Archie. Archie is his own person which makes him a very cool character, even though, at 37, he still lives with his folks.
Lawrence Sanders's beloved sleuth Archy McNally returns in a novel by Vincent LardoArchy McNally investigates a murderous crime of passion on the tennis court that is much more than it seemsThe Palm Beach tennis season starts off with a bang when a pro is shot by his wife after she catches him with another woman
Paula Ratcliffe
Jul 04, 2011 Paula Ratcliffe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
This book had everything action, adventure, mystery, whodunit's, we follow the main character Archy McNally as he investigates both blackmail from a portrait of a great grandfather who was with the Titanic when it sunk. And a wealthy murder. As with any great mystery the ending was a complete twist and I loved it.
Bernard Chiasson
Nov 01, 2014 Bernard Chiasson rated it really liked it
McNally's dilemma was a delight to read.The Epilogue wraps the whole story up, in a sensible and satisfying ending for all characters.
Susana
Feb 15, 2012 Susana rated it did not like it
Terrible book! It was torture to read. It was like watching a bad episode of CSI:Miami and I don't like this tv series to begin with. There are much better crime drama books out there. Do not waste your money on this.
Joe O'c
Sep 05, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Archy McNally and family; Archy is assigned two cases, a woman who murders her husband and a man being sued about how his grandfather got off the Titanic.
Leslie
Jan 02, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
I thought Archy was a scream and look forward to reading another book in this series. It's not high fiction, but the characters are interesting (particularly Archy) and the plot kept moving.
Bruce Humbert
Mar 03, 2013 Bruce Humbert rated it really liked it
I give it four stars because I loved the series - it was one of my truly guilty pleasures - but the loss of Mr. Sanders makes this not up to standard as an individual book...
Gene
Apr 05, 2011 Gene rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Nope! Shouldn't have read it; certainly shouldn't have bothered to finish it. Pseudo-hi-brow and contrived.

Don't bother.
Shishir
Nov 13, 2009 Shishir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witty
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Renee Lipson
Feb 10, 2011 Renee Lipson rated it really liked it
I read this book before, but only remembered a little bit. McNally books are good, quick reads that I always enjoy.
Mar 12, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
First started to notice change in author's style. The co author did not get mentioned on cover @ first???
Lorma
Apr 25, 2012 Lorma rated it liked it
McNally books are good, quick reads that are enjoyable at the time but not very memorable.
Priyanka
Oct 02, 2012 Priyanka rated it it was amazing
Charming Dangerous ARCHIE at his best..!!! Go for it!! A real delight from start to finish!!
Jill
Jul 02, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Finally -- a Vincent Lardo that didn't sound like a Vincent Lardo.
I enjoyed it 1 4 Jan 25, 2009 07:03PM
  • McNally's Gamble

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper
  • McNally's Trial
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • McNally's Gamble
  • McNally's Folly
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi