Start by marking “Everything is connected: The Power of music” as Want to Read:

Everything is connected: The Power of music

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Book by Daniel Barenboim
Published 2008 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson

To ask other readers questions about Everything is connected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything is connected

Yuval
Barenboim is a true genius and one of my heroes, but I don't know if Verso did very well putting together a sampling of his writing: the book is strangely organized and repeats itself a LOT (a late chapter on the West-East Divan Orchestra is basically a verbatim recount of what he talks about in the first half of the book). Great insight throughout, but anyone interested would do better to read PARALLELS AND PARADOXES, his book with Edward Said.

On a pickier note: this is the second music/philos...more
Rachel
I am a little worried that this dude thinks that he could fart and it would sound like Vivaldi. He's obviously smart, but he could probably remove the stick from his butt. So that the Vivaldi farts could escape.
Stephen Redwood
I approached this book with great anticipation. The reviews I had read primed me to expect a text of deep philosophical insights borne of parallels between music and life at large, from one of the great musicians of our time. Well, yes, it was sort of philosophical in the sense that many people of a thinking and reflective bent are, but some of the perspectives were more a statement of beliefs than a result of robust logical argument. And parallels between music and life were laced throughout, b...more
John
Barenboim knows what he's talking about. I especially enjoyed his discussion of how silence is part of music, as well as his interview on Mozart, where he takes to task "authentic performance practice." He also understands Wagner at least as well as any other conductor alive (including his friend Pierre Boulez); although he discusses Wagner only sporadically here, he makes an especially apt point about why Wagner's stage directions at the beginning of his operas are so important.

His discussion...more
Kate Gould
In 1999, Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said set up the West-Eastern Divan Project, enabling young Middle Eastern musicians to work together. Now, in a collection of essays and articles that is part manifesto, part memoir, and part discourse, Barenboim discusses the place of music both in the lives of individuals and as a global phenomenon.

He transports music from notes and the orchestra pit to its repercussive effects and potential as an instrument in the peace process.

The book is, in parts, a li...more
James Stephenson
Despite the great respect I have for Barenboim as a musician and humanitarian, I can't get past the patronising and dogmatic tone of much of this book, especially the early parts. I realise in hindsight that I should have read 'Parallels and Paradoxes' (Barenboim's book with Edward Said on the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra) first, since 'Everything is Connected' repeatedly drifts from the abstract and philosophical to specific examples from that landmark project - a shame, because it renders the...more
Katrina Becker
Ok, very much mixed reactions to this book. For the most part, I absolutely loved it far more than I thought I would- beautiful writing, and clearly a brilliant, kind, and passionate mind. That said, I really know nothing of music at all, more's the pity. So, the first 3 chapters, with their copious classical music references & music terms were pretty much lost on me, as were much of the content on his essays about various music personas. Still though, brilliant, and overall a pleasure to re...more
Kathleen
An immensely profound and wide-ranging book, ranging in its discussions from Schumann as a radical mind to anecdotes from the Western Divan Orchestra, from cultural understanding of Mozart to Israeli-Palestinian relations. Barenboim emphasizes above all that music brings all of the elements of humanity together. Musicians, artists, and performers who read this books will be happy to meet a very old friend; politicians and social activists who read it will be surprised to find a common ally.
Mangoo
Per quanto l'autore sia chiaramente competente, questo libro è una dimostrazione di come, a meno di non entrare nei dettagli tecnici (e anche li, con esiti al massimo parziali), parlare di musica è un esercizio personale e di solito vano. (Poi lui non può non indulgere nelle considerazioni sul conflitto israelo-palestinese, vissuto anche in prima persona tramite la sua orchestra multietnica (Divan).
Ma questo in particolare fa venire voglia, finalmente, di leggere Spinoza.
Laginestra
Non aspettatevi niente di che purtroppo. Cioè, riflessioni condivisibili, però scritto (o forse solo tradotto) con la peggior rappresentazione di "registro medio", il che fa sembrare tutto mostruosamente didascalico e poco coinvolgente, nonostante, mi ripeto, la ricchezza del tema (ricchezza, ouf, nessun affondo di classe, una riflessione generale e personale... meglio che smetta di rifletterci, più ci penso e meno mi va di salvarlo).
Jack Laschenski
Daniel is the greatest musician alive today!!

He has no competition!! Pianist (the greatest interpreter of Beethoven), conductor, and founder of the East West Divan Orchestra - Israeli and
Arab kids playing classical music together!

I revere him without qualification.

This is a book of meditations (delivered as the Norton Lectures at Harvard in 2006)on music, life, Israel and Palestine.

A deep man.
Wackedout
It was insightful to glimpse the musical mind of such a seasoned conductor and it really helped sparked some new thoughts in my personal musical understanding and learning. I wish there was more focus on musical interpretation and ideas in the book, but also appreciate the passion with which Daniel Barenboim and Edward Said have for their cause. I am inspired to read the earlier book they co-wrote.
Scott
This wasn't the most well-edited book I've ever read, but Barenboim is certainly at the top of his game, both musically and intellectually. A lot of what he has to say about music, music education, and politics (among many other more and less specific topics) is highly pertinent and should be more widely recognized.
Ana Hernandez
This is largely the story of his work with Edward Said in Palestine and Israel, the formation of the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra, and the power of music to bring us together to explore how we live in community, as well as music's power to help us navigate the seemingly intractable issues we face as a species.
Jessica
It was fascinating to read about the Israel/Palestine conflict from the viewpoint of this world-renowned conductor and pianist. He brought to light how music is able to transcend the political differences and allow a Palestinian and an Israeli to find friendship in their mutual love of music.
Chris
Worth owning if only for the opening chapter: "Sound and Thought". All of Barenboim's interpretive genius as a performer and conductor seems to articulates itself in this deeply thought-out essay.
Peter
Some very interesting ideas from a very thoughtful and intelligent man. Got a bit muddled and philosophical at times, but overall a cool quick read for fans of this pianist/composer.
Cornflower
It gets only four stars because I'd like it to have been longer.

More thoughts here:
Aviva Dierckx
Een boek om te lezen en herlezen, geschreven door een echte "mentsch". Voor mij was dit hét boek van deze zomer, heeft me veel lees- en denkplezier bezorgd.
Will Sherwood
Barenboim gives us not only a fresh idea of the evolution of sound, he also gives us the history of the West/Eastern Divan Orchestra.
Steve
An interesting book that goes as much into the author's vision re: the Israel/Palestine situation as it does music. I enjoyed it very much.
Elizabeth
A great thinker. Clearly written. Developed from Norton Lectures of 2006. On the connection between music and life.
Snufkin
Absolutely wonderful and uplifting- the power of music is indeed immense!
Jeanne
Dec 28, 2008 Jeanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is not the thing with Edward Said. I'd like to read that one too.
Alessia
Alessia is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Karla
Karla is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Parallels and Paradoxes: Explorations in Music and Society A Life in Music Everything Is Connected: The Power Of Music La musica è un tutto. Etica ed estetica Everything Is Connected: The Power of Music