Start by marking “Ranma ½, Vol. 5 (Ranma ½ (US 1st), #5)” as Want to Read:
Ranma ½, Vol. 5 (Ranma ½ (US 1st), #5)

Ranma ½, Vol. 5 (Ranma ½ (Ranma ½ (US) #5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,286 ratings  ·  25 reviews
First Ranma & Co. enjoy a trip to the beach, despite all the COLD WATER. Then, camping out in the woods turns out to have a lot of hazards, not the least of which is the toxic cooking of Akane, Ranma's reluctant fiancee.... Finally, Ranma competes in two bizarre tests of skill. Who will triumph in the Anything Goes Martial Arts Tea Ceremony and the no-holds-barred Mart ...more
Published January 5th 1996 by Viz Media (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ranma ½, Vol. 5 (Ranma ½, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ranma ½, Vol. 5 (Ranma ½

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
432nd out of 1,084 books — 381 voters

More lists with this book...

As usual, fun art, great humor, and plenty of action. I was pleased to see more of Ryoga, and I also enjoyed the new characters introduced in this one. Kuno, the ultra-serious classmate introduced in book one, also gets to return. Much fun :-)
The theme of "let's have a martial-arts battle, the winner gets the girl/boy" is becomming rather tedious.
07 March 2013

Ranma 1/2, Volume 5 concludes the battle at the beach between Ranma and Great-Grandma Ghoul. Ranma's Cat-Fist technique had me in stitches. I must say, catty Ranma just might be my favorite version of them all. He's so ridiculously adorable in that state.

This fifth volume finally brings back the focus on one of my most beloved characters, Ryoga. Naturally, this is my favorite part of the story because Ryoga's poor sense of direction and die-hard determination always keeps me amused.
S. J.
Aug 06, 2013 S. J. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: Jessica; Series
*2.4 Stars*

My Review of Volume One

My Review of Volume Two

My Review of Volume Three

My Review of Volume Four

*WARNING: Because of the occasional female nudity (and male though they always have carefully placed legs), this is not really for younger manga readers.

*The Gush and Rant*

'Ghoul' (Shampoo's great grandmother-I know she has another name but this one fits perfectly) might actually be taking her place of character I hate the most in this series. Male!Ranma finally comes back, with more kitt
Leila Anani
Not the best in the series, but fun enough. Shampoo's nutty grandmother trains Ryoga to defeat Ranma in the hope that he will win Akane and leave Ranma free for Shampoo. There's a huge face off between the two friends/enemies wich is quite fun. Then we get a bizarre martial tea ceremony interlude in which Sentaro kidnaps female Ranma hoping he can defeat his fiancée who turns out to be a monkey. Akane to the rescue. Bit of an oddity this one with a simple resolution - almost feels like a one sho ...more
I brought this book to school with me one day, and to my horror, my Texas History teacher (yes, Texas History. It's a thing.) got curious and decided to flip through it. ... I don't know how much he saw, but I can only imagine what he thought of me after that. ... Anyway, I've always loved with one because of Martial Arts Takeout, which really needs to be a real thing, in my opinion. (It would be hilarious. And delicious!) In the anime, they added a completely new female character that's sort of ...more
Dry plot with odd character names and impossible story lines. Thick-drawn style with thrown-together script.
Céline :)
Too funny :)
*Miss Fame*
Another hilarious volume! I really love all the silly relationships between all the characters. And Shampoo's great-grandmother is the greatest thing ever!! Oh man, she's the best!

I really want Ranma and Shampoo to be together and Akane and Ryoga. I don't think I'll ever support Ranma and Akane XD

Oh, also I love Kuno!! He cracks me up!
Ranma 1/2 if one of my all-time favorite manga series. There are times when the action gets a bit repetitive, but the insanity of the different schools of Anything Goes Martial Arts makes this one of the more entertaining shonen manga series around. It's a good mix of comedy, romance and action that just works well for me.
Another fluffy, zany edition of this Manga. This time Ranma and Akane have to finish their aquatic battle, deal with yet another challenge from Ryoga, a tea ceremony battle and a ranmen delivery challenge.

More silliness from creator Takahashi. Fans of the series will love this volume.
Kitschy but so formulaic that it makes me want to slap whoever wrote these, the story goes nowhere. It is closer to someone writing an endless string of dragon ball z style battles, than anything resembling an actual story line. It never seems to be going anywhere.
They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. But I did - And I was right ;) This series is amazing! You get genderbender, fantasy, action, romance and slapstick-humor along with intense serious moments, what more can you want?
Chris Andersen
Some nice, shorter stories in this one. Light fare, but good fun. The Martial Arts Food Delivery Girl race was especially fun and action packed. Real page turner.
Matthew Towles
For some reason this is my favorite thus far. Is it just me or does the artwork seem more detailed, more accomplished than previous volumes?
Ranma 1/2 is a great series! It's so funny and sweet. There's romance, action, and comedy all in abundance! I think should appeal to a wide audience.
There's a formula at its core, but the martial arts and comedy are so over the top that even when it's contrived I love it. Yes Takahashi is a god.
Not my favorite grouping of Ranma 1/2 tales, but I do love Ranma (mostly in animated form, I admit).
VIZ graphic novel
The humor in the drawing speaks louder than translated words. This series is a lot of fun to read.
These are so addicting! I can't stop- all of the characters are just so funny. Very fun!
It was Awesome
pretty good.
Devin marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Rens added it
Oct 04, 2015
  • Love Hina, Vol. 03
  • Wish, Vol. 03 (Wish, #3)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena, Vol. 03: To Sprout
  • Sorcerer Hunters #01
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 11
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in the United
More about Rumiko Takahashi...

Ranma ½ (US) (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 1 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #1)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 2 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #2)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 3 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #3)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 4 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #4)
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 6 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #6)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 7 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #7)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 8 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #8)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 9 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #9)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 10 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #10)
  • Ranma 1/2, Volume 11
InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1) Ranma ½, Vol. 1 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #1) InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1) InuYasha: Family Matters (InuYasha, #2) InuYasha: Good Intentions (InuYasha, #3)