Start by marking “Conqueror's Moon (Boreal Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conqueror's Moon (Boreal Moon, #1)

Conqueror's Moon (Boreal Moon #1)

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  531 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The four kingdoms in the Boreal Sea that have clashed since time out of mind. But Prince Conrig of Cathra--who waits patiently as his father, the king, slowly dies--is in league with his lover, the seductive sorceress Princess Ullanoth of Moss. And if their secret alliance succeeds, the warring kingdoms will be united once and for all--under the iron hand of one supreme ru ...more
Published March 29th 2005 by Ace (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Conqueror's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conqueror's Moon

Marked by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson NoelFallen by Lauren KateThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series I've Given Up On...
494th out of 868 books — 3,352 voters
Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderLamb by Christopher MooreThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisPrince Caspian by C.S. LewisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Ultimate List of All Lists
75th out of 109 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
Mar 07, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of high fantasy
Your basic high fantasy. Avoids "character makes obvious, stupid mistake" syndrome. Got 99% of the way through this one a few months ago, then got distracted and never finished it. Kind of weird, because it really is quite intelligent. This time I made it all the way through, but there's still something not quite grabbing me, even as I like and admire the book. I think I'm just getting senile or something. Time to read the sequel.
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

3, 2, 2 stars

I'm a big fan of the Saga of Pliocene Exile, and I also enjoyed the Galactic Milieu. So, since I was unable to get the books one by one as they appeared, I bought the entire Boreal Moon trilogy in one go, excited for a real treat.

This wasn't it. From the start, the first book failed to capture my interest, but eventually, I forced my way into the story, and after a few chapters, it got better. Sadly, not much.

The series relies on complex politics, and simplis
Kevin
Mar 05, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok
This book could have been very entertaining, if not for the its many flaws. The story in it self was entertaining but all the problems I stumbled over ruined it for me.

The tale begins with a very rushed introduction and almost completely ignores the origin of one of the most important characters, Snudge, the indirect teller of this trilogy. Instead of giving him a proper little story from stableboy to one of the most important tools of the heir apparent May only spares one or two pages to to thi
Simon Mcleish
Feb 11, 2013 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2004.

May begins her third series (discounting the collaborative Trillium novels) with this story, part one of The Boreal Moon Tale. Like the Trillium series, it is a fairly standard fantasy and even shares one of the main features of these, novels, a system of magic in which stones and crystals play an important role as repositories of power. (This is something which can be seen in a lot of post-Tolkien fantasy, of course.)

The setting is the island
Madbutmagic
Jun 18, 2013 Madbutmagic marked it as to-read
Mad But Magic YA Blog

Royal lovers, a sorceress, and a secret. I am really hoping at some point there will be a dragon, but the cover makes no promises. There's a speck there, but I suspect it's a bird...

Why did I pick it up? Have you ever had this happen? This book emerged fully formed from my bookshelf. I have no idea where it came from, when it came, or when it may leave, so I simply must read it before it disappears again. This is what happens when you have too many books, but I sort of embra
Kate
Sep 12, 2012 Kate rated it did not like it
I'm probably underscoring this book. Maybe. It's hard to tell. The plot was reasonable, but the delivery was poor. The characters were flat, the writing was overblown, and no point of tension in the story was left unresolved for more than two pages. I felt like almost every line of dialogue could have been spoken by any one of the characters. Every now and then I wasn't cringing at the use of gratuitous "y"s (chymicals? I suppose there were Alchymists...) the floofy language made me think that a ...more
Lyssa
May 19, 2011 Lyssa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Brandon Sanderson and Dennis Jones
Shelves: fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although not the best book I've ever read, it went beyond my expectations in writing, plot, and characters. I put Conqueror's Moon in the same category as Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn because it closely follows the same themes (which I greatly enjoy); overthrowing an empire, and conversely, starting a new one; many different angles on the same plot from a multitude of characters; and an element of magic. The sorcery in this book isn't quite up to par with what I'd ...more
Knecht
Jan 10, 2009 Knecht rated it really liked it
I am quite fond of this book (and series). Julian May creates a very rich world, with an interesting take on how magic is used in the world. The settings were vivid, and what really kept the pages turning for me was trying to figure out how the sigils (the magical foci in the book) worked, and how the characters would outsmart the rather ominous implications of using the sigil magic. The plot has a nice balance of political intrigue, exploration, and fate-of-the-world type struggle without relyi ...more
Kirstyn
The only reason I started this is because the cover was so nice. Lesson learnt: don't judge a book by its cover. The only reason I kept reading it was because I don't like leaving books half read. And the only reason I would read the next book is if it focused mainly on Maudrayne and I had nothing better to spend my time doing. It has potential but this was a boring book that dragged out, and despite everything that happened throughout the book, it seemed as if nothing at all happened. No emotio ...more
Jennifer Leistikow
Mar 23, 2016 Jennifer Leistikow rated it it was ok
I LOVE Julian May! But this book moved very slowly for me. I am going to read the next book in the series, hoping that it moves a little faster.
May's Jack the Bodiless remains one of my favorite books of all time!
Astrid
Jan 03, 2015 Astrid rated it liked it
Shelves: read-before-2014
De maan van de veroveraar
Sam Sigelakis-Minski
Jun 06, 2012 Sam Sigelakis-Minski rated it really liked it
This book got more of a 3.5 stars from me, but I rounded up because I genuinely got engrossed in it. While the story-line had some pretty large plot holes and the opening scene with adult Snudge was very brief, the characters are intriguing and flawed, which is always a treat. The women characters for me really carried the story, which is odd in this genre.I look forward to reading the sequels, but I am not jumping to buy them right away.
Ataahua
Dec 28, 2013 Ataahua rated it liked it
While not up to her exceptional standards in the Saga of the Exiles or the Galactic Milieu books, Conqueror's Moon is the start of a good fantasy trilogy that benefits from an original premise regarding magic and strongly-drawn characters. Definitely worth a read - although the last book in the trilogy is weak, unfortunately.
Linette
Sorry I took so long! Haha It was just another book while I was waiting for the books that I orderd to arrive. It's kind of good. But I really don't get the love part about the book. Julian May did craft a beautifully-structured world. It was a good distraction. And I'll think about reading the rest of the trilogy.
Leah
Solid three and a half stars. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Sort of a mix between George R R Martin and C S Friedman, only not as dark as either of them.
Eh?Eh!
Oct 12, 2007 Eh?Eh! added it
Shelves: babble-added
a disappointment. the author's intricate sci-fi gave me high hopes for her fantasy (bujold jumps between the genres with astonishing skill) but this series clunks.
Brie
Apr 15, 2009 Brie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
I wasn't impressed with this book. The characters seemed very flat to me and I couldn't connect with any of them. I won't be continuing on in the series.
L. Meadow
Aug 15, 2013 L. Meadow rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of fantasy and this series was a breath of fresh air in a genre that has gotten (in some respects) rather predictable and stale.
Ice Bear
Mar 02, 2011 Ice Bear rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an ok read, similar but not quite as good as the Trillium series. A map that could easily translate into many other books.
Lindsay
Jul 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z2007
Not my favourite Julian May book, I found the characters a bit hard to connect to, and the story wasn't hugely engaging.
Peter
Sep 17, 2013 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It was good will have to chase up the other 2 books in the series, it nice to have a change and i do like this author.
Jason
Jun 26, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Julian May and this book, like the others, does not disappoint. I'm looking forward to book number two.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 Jenny rated it did not like it
Abandoned. Terrible writing, imho. Could not get into it, gave up around page 30. Very disappointing.
Peterwilliam
Feb 27, 2010 Peterwilliam rated it really liked it
My review is HERE.
Bo Komonytsky
Apr 27, 2013 Bo Komonytsky rated it did not like it
Storyline was too drawn out and character names were unpronounceable making for difficult and boring read.
Marilyn
Aug 25, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it
My kind of medieval SF. Magic, war, ships, journeys. Hope to read the sequels.
Emily
Feb 01, 2012 Emily marked it as gave-up-on
Shelves: fantasy
Names were just too strange for me to get past. Couldn't read it.
Siobhan
Jun 23, 2009 Siobhan rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sf
not compelling, no likeable characters. I'll give the rest a pass.
Steve Smy
Feb 26, 2013 Steve Smy rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I'll have to reread this to write any review!
Elaine
Jan 26, 2011 Elaine rated it liked it
decent sword & sorcery
  • Wolves and War (Planet Wolf, #1)
  • East of the Sun: The Epic Conquest and Tragic History of Siberia
  • Black Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #1)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Ring of Intrigue (Dance of the Rings, #2)
  • The Stone and the Maiden (The House of the Pandragore, #1)
  • Weatherwitch (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #3)
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • Illumination
  • The Iron Tower (Iron Tower, #1-3)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Unicorn Quest
  • The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1)
  • The Gnole
  • The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle, #1)
  • Gilden-Fire
  • Shadowlight (Loremasters of Elundium, #3)
  • The Third Book of the Dun Cow: Peace at the Last
Pseudonym Ian Thorne, J.C. May, Lee N. Falconer.
More about Julian May...

Boreal Moon (3 books)
  • Ironcrown Moon (Boreal Moon, #2)
  • Sorcerer's Moon (Boreal Moon, #3)