Start by marking “Surveillance (Intervention, #1)” as Want to Read:
Surveillance (Intervention, #1)

Surveillance (Intervention #1)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,144 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For 60,000 years the five races of the Galactic Milieu have waited for the time when human mental development on Earth is ready for intervention. As the 20th century draws to its end, phenomenal mental powers are displayed by "operants" on Earth. One of these is Rogatien Remillar, book dealer.
Published November 13th 1988 by Del Rey (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Surveillance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surveillance

Lacey Louwagie
Aug 23, 2009 Lacey Louwagie rated it liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
I first discovered Julian May about three or four years ago, when I picked up "Jack the Bodiless," Book 1 in the "Galactic Milieu Trilogy." I thought, "Fantastic! Book one! I can start at the beginning!" But after I was already well into Jack the Bodiless, I learned that it was the beginning of a trilogy that, in fact, was built upon earlier series. So, it wasn't exactly a Book 1 in the strictest sense.

I hunted down and purchased both the sequels and the two books that came before "Jack the Bodi
John Devlin
Mar 31, 2007 John Devlin rated it liked it
Simply the best space opera, and the best series of novels I've ever read. This is the first of the nine, and while the last three show signs of fatigue, these novels capture a cast of characters, and one in Marc Remillard, that are truly memorable. From the worlds and milieu May imagines to her evocative themes, the novels capture humanity with all its foibles and promise, and if you stick around for #6, you'll get the best plot twist in all of bookdom.
SA
Mar 26, 2012 SA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
These books affect me just as greatly as they did when I first read them fifteen or more years ago. I have such affection for Rogi, and all the crazy Remillards. It's fascinating to come back to them for the fourth or fifth time and see how much more I understand about the motivations and actions of the characters.

I still love the aliens. I think May's aliens influenced me as much as or more than Star Trek's version. And I know that May primed the pump for my eventual devotion to philosophy as
Jason
Feb 16, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing
This tells the story of the evolution of the human mind. People all around the world start developing new mental abilities. The story focuses on a particular family that plays an important role in the development of the human mind. All of this happening while under the surveillance of a galactic civilization. The book grabbed my attention right from the start and I couldn't put it down until I was done.
Holly
Jan 08, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
I love this whole series, despite the fact that Julian May just loves to hit the reader over the head with her great, big bat of foreshadowing.
Kirsten Kowalewski
Jan 08, 2008 Kirsten Kowalewski rated it really liked it
First book bridging two series by Julian May, starting at the very beginning of developing mindpowers in children all over the world.
Amy Qualls
On loan from Jacob. Struggled with some jargon early but eventually caught the rhythm. Ends on a massive cliffhanger.
Tamara
Oct 27, 2015 Tamara rated it it was amazing
This entire series by Julian May (and really there are three series) remains one of my favorites.
Fatbaldguy60
Oct 24, 2008 Fatbaldguy60 rated it really liked it
Good series that gives a lot more background to the prior series.
Jutta

Read Fall 1999
Geert
Feb 12, 2012 Geert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf, own
Na 50 blz. ben ik maar gestopt...
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Surveillance by Julian May (1988)
G
G marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
May 04, 2016
James Roome
James Roome rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Alan
Alan added it
Apr 24, 2016
Jesús Neira
Jesús Neira rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Sard Caid
Sard Caid rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Michael J Wales
Michael J Wales rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Derek
Derek added it
Apr 14, 2016
Eric Bell
Eric Bell rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Hugh
Hugh rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Iñigo
Iñigo rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
**lr**
**lr** marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Oaths and Miracles
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • Vindication (Cyteen, #3)
  • Beneath the Tree of Heaven (Chung Kuo, #5)
  • Alastor (Alastor #1-3)
  • Candle (Century Next Door, #3)
  • Dreamships
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • Steel Beach
Pseudonym Ian Thorne, J.C. May, Lee N. Falconer.
More about Julian May...

Intervention (2 books)
  • Metaconcert (Intervention, #3)