Start by marking “The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,594 ratings  ·  266 reviews
Every day after school Melvin goes to the library. Everything has its place in the library and Melvin likes it that way. And his favorite people - Marge, Betty, and Leola - are always in their place, behind the reference desk. When a subject interests Melvin, his librarian friends help him find lots and lots of books on the subject. When he collects creepy bugs in a jar, t ...more
Published March 31st 2007 by Peachtree Pub Ltd (J) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
3rd out of 111 books — 126 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLirael by Garth Nix
Books About Librarians
19th out of 216 books — 407 voters

More lists with this book...

Gundula
Feb 01, 2015 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children who like light and humorous stories about librarians and libraries
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians is sweet, humorous (sometimes bordering on silly), albeit also rather predictable. Carla Morris paints an engaging and fun portrait of a curious boy who loves books and who practically lives at his local public library, as well as the librarians of said library, who not only continuously inspire and re-inspire Melvin's curiosity, but also help the boy with research, help him rehearse for a play, and even attend his high school graduation (that Melvin then stu ...more
Kathryn
4.5 stars. (I wasn't really a fan of the illustration style, although they were well-done and apt.) Wonderful story about the power of friendship (especially from adult mentors) the joys that result in a quest for knowledge, and the wonders that can be found in the library!
Marni
How can you go wrong when the second page goes like this?

"He wanted to know a little...no...alot about everything. He was curious. And the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious.

"Everything had its place in the library and Melvin liked it that way. His favorite books were always in their places, lined up on the shelves like soldiers. And his favorite people were always in their places, behind the reference desk."

Is that not a description of heaven? I got happy all over reading
Donalyn
While I thought the "librarians are amazing" message was a bit blatant, we seem to need the reminder these days. I was raised by librarians myself!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Lisa
Loved this book!!! I read it before signing it to my niece and putting it in the box going to Joplin for Christmas. Oh my, it really is a lovely story, but particularly for this librarian and daughter of a librarian. Nice that my niece will get a little idea what her grandfather did for a living.
Radym
I don't think I was supposed to cry at the end of this book.
Dolly
Aug 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I just love stories about libraries and this was such a sweet story. I love the different ways that the librarians could help the young boy learn and satisfy his curiosity. And I certainly loved the ending. The illustrations remind me strongly of C.F. Payne's style and complemented the story nicely, if a bit abstractly. I liked to see how the librarians aged throughout the book, still as happy and helpful as ever. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

This story was selected as one of t
April Thompson
This story portrays my love for books and libraries. My mom worked at the local library when I was eight, and I remember loving everything about it day after day. The feeling hasn't worn off and I hope to one day retire and work at a library!
Crystal Marcos
My little one really liked this book and so did I. It is a bit lengthy for younger children but she could relate having spent time at the library. It is a heart-warming story about a little boy who grows up getting to know his librarians through spending many days after school at the library. Though the story is somewhat predictable it is still a treat to watch all the characters grow older together. I liked how interested the librarians were in him and vice versa. The illustrations were very ex ...more
Nathan
This is adorable! I love how nice the librarians are in this book; it is so cool seeing Melvin grow up so close to the librarians. They celebrate his achievements with him (even go to his high school graduation!), help him learn how to organize things ("They can't help it. That's how librarians are.") and give him resources to help him learn. The pictures (by Brad Sneed) are really nice. I enjoyed his illustrations a lot.
It has quite a few words in it, so I think it would be a great book for old
Jackie
I loved this book! The illustrations and conversations are so heart-warming and touching. Melvin loved the library so much, he felt like he lived there...all facts, figures and information were at his fingertips, and he grew to love the three librarians, Leeola, Betty, and Marge, who all looked forward to his visit every day after school. Throughout his school years, up until he left for college, the library was his special place. He missed it terribly when he was away, as the librarians missed ...more
Laurie
Anna Dipprey
When I first picked this book up I thought it would be about a boy whose parents were librarians, this assumption was purely based on the cover and title. However, after reading this book by Carla Morris, I really enjoyed that it followed him through his childhood. I appreciated this book because I have minor OCD and find it very pleasing when things are in order, just like Melvin likes how orderly libraries are.

Purposes
Read Aloud for enrichment:
This story can be relatable to students who love
Megan Koval
This book is about a young boy named Marvin who spends much of his time at the library. He is able to learn lots of information from the librarians and becomes good friends with them over his years of school. With the help of the librarians, Marvin is able to succeed at many things. Soon it comes time for Marvin to head to college. He misses his librarian friends very much when he is in college. Once he graduates, he comes back and gets a job at the library as the newest librarian.

I thought t
Lindsay Garber
Personal Reaction:
I truly enjoy this book because the message is so important and powerful to young children who are starting to become readers. Carla Morris successfully portrays the importance of reading and how far it can take you in life. While creating an important message, the story also contains entertaining parts that will keep students engaged. An example includes when Melvin tripped in the library while holding a jar of bugs and they scattered everywhere. Children will love this book!

P
Melissa Stasi
The moment I read this book, I knew that I was going to like it because I loved looking at books when I was a child and one of my good friend's dad is the illustrator, Brad Sneed. The colors on the title are so bright and colorful and any child who reads this book, will immediately be lured to opening it up. This book's moral talks about how the library is a fun place and a child can get any book they want while at the library. The librarians are always nice and helpful and reading can even some ...more
Mom (Tash)
This is another great picture book! Your children will love it, and you will too! I KNOW you all take your children to the library, (you are such great parents) and this is yet another book to reinforce what a wonderful place that is, and what endearing people librarians can be. Definately a "Storytime With Grandma Tash Gold Star Winner"!!
(In case you may be wondering if I promote every children's book about libraries, not true...do not check out "The Library Dragon". It is a total disappointmen
Randie
First of all, the title is misleading. I had anticipated a story about a boy actually living in the library and being raised by librarians and was disappointed by the first line in the book. The boy is actually a bookworm who spends all his time in the library and forms a family-like bond with the three librarians at his local library.

Second of all, despite my disappointment, the story was actually pretty good and inspiring. The illustrations are incredible and could stand alone as a wordless b
Diane Librarian
Aww, what a sweet children's book! It's about a boy named Melvin who spends a lot of time in his public library and the friendship he develops with the librarians. The story is written by a children's librarian, and it does a good job of highlighting all the different services that libraries offer today. I would recommend the book to any parents who want to get their children excited about the library.
Colleen Vincent
Melvin is a curious boy who loves the library, and as the author, Carla Morris, observes, "the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious." The librarians and Melvin share a loving relationship as they provide a welcoming, nurturing, learning environment for Melvin at the library, inspiring him and helping him learn about the world around him.
Hannah Taylor
Personal reaction: This book was not my favorite because there was no real plot, which, for me, made it hard to read. Although the main character had a goal - to acquire knowledge - it was more just a list of events that happened, like him winning the spelling bee and geography bee and anything else he competed in. However, I think it has a purpose in the classroom.

Purpose: This book would be great for read aloud enrichment for K-2 graders. In elementary school, there is often a field trip to a
Paula
Very cute book, great for elementary level. The story of a young boy who loved the library. He didn't really live there but spent much of his time there. The librarians knew him and helped him with questions from grade school until he graduated from college. Very good.
Meghan
Dec 04, 2008 Meghan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: librarians, 1st graders, teachers
I teared up by the end of this sweet picture book. It is such a touching story about a boy who loves and uses the library throughout his life. The illustrations are vibrant and fun. Really, this is the story every children's librarian wants to turn into reality...
Kari
Probably more of a 4, but what the hell 5 stars. Had tears streaming down my face at the end. "That's how librarian's are. They just can't help it." Love it.

Thanks to Liz for recommending.
Veronica
This wonderful children's book's story arc hit pretty close to home for me. I recommend it to any librarian or library lover!!
Salena
One of the best children's books dealing with libraries and librarians. This is one of my favorites.
Relyn
Oct 02, 2009 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at Barnes
This is a sweet, sweet book that will completely appeal to adults. I find that the students enjoy it, too.
Katie
I loved this book, so did all the kids. Might just need to add to our favorite books shelf
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
The Boy who was Raised by Librarians by Carla Morris is an excellent picture book and a love letter to libraries and librarians. Melvin loves the library, he loves to learn, ask questions, and read. The story is about how he grew up spending a lot of time lin the library and when he goes off to college everyone will wonder if he will simply leave the library behind.
This is a must borrow and read from the library. This is definitely a must buy for children who have librarian relatives but most o
  • The Library Dragon
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • The Library
  • Library Lil
  • That Book Woman
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Bats at the Library