Start by marking “The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,877 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Every day after school Melvin goes to the library. Everything has its place in the library and Melvin likes it that way. And his favorite people - Marge, Betty, and Leola - are always in their place, behind the reference desk. When a subject interests Melvin, his librarian friends help him find lots and lots of books on the subject. When he collects creepy bugs in a jar, t ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers (first published 2007)

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla  MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
3rd out of 120 books — 146 voters
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLirael by Garth Nix
Books About Librarians
22nd out of 239 books — 448 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Mar 09, 2016 Manybooks rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children who like light and humorous stories about librarians and libraries
The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians is sweet, humorous (sometimes bordering on silly), albeit also rather predictable. Carla Morris paints an engaging and fun portrait of a curious boy who loves books and who practically lives at his local public library, as well as the librarians of said library, who not only continuously inspire and re-inspire Melvin's curiosity, but also help the boy with research, help him rehearse for a play, and even attend his high school graduation (that Melvin then stu ...more
Kathryn
Jan 04, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. (I wasn't really a fan of the illustration style, although they were well-done and apt.) Wonderful story about the power of friendship (especially from adult mentors) the joys that result in a quest for knowledge, and the wonders that can be found in the library!
Marni
Nov 20, 2009 Marni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, picture-book
How can you go wrong when the second page goes like this?

"He wanted to know a little...no...alot about everything. He was curious. And the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious.

"Everything had its place in the library and Melvin liked it that way. His favorite books were always in their places, lined up on the shelves like soldiers. And his favorite people were always in their places, behind the reference desk."

Is that not a description of heaven? I got happy all over reading
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Dec 18, 2015 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it it was amazing
I've seen this in the children's room of the library for months, if not years (time moves differently in a library). I finally decided to read it today, while I was sitting at the desk in the empty children's section..

I've got chills. I may have sniffled. I almost cried! This book, this simple, short, little picture book gave me all the feels. I was this kid. I was raised by librarians. They helped me when I was confused in school. They helped me when I couldn't find just the right book to read.
Donalyn
Mar 24, 2011 Donalyn rated it really liked it
While I thought the "librarians are amazing" message was a bit blatant, we seem to need the reminder these days. I was raised by librarians myself!
Brea
Dec 18, 2015 Brea rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
oh my gosh! all the feels y'all

That was so fantastic -- it seriously gave me chills.

I freaking love my job!
Gabby Mondelli
Nov 24, 2015 Gabby Mondelli rated it really liked it
During my first few weeks of school, because I am a reading teacher, all of my read-alouds are about book and library appreciation. One of my favorite new additions is “The Boy Who Was Raised By Librarians.” This heartwarming story is great for lovers of libraries and the smell of a well-loved book.

Everyday after school, Melvin goes to his local library. The women who work there help him with homework, schoolwork, various questions, and projects. He loves the library, and the for that, the libr
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Lisa
Dec 13, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!!! I read it before signing it to my niece and putting it in the box going to Joplin for Christmas. Oh my, it really is a lovely story, but particularly for this librarian and daughter of a librarian. Nice that my niece will get a little idea what her grandfather did for a living.
Yasmin Gomez Geng
Feb 29, 2016 Yasmin Gomez Geng rated it it was amazing
Ohmygoodness! The emotions are bursting.

This was an adorable book. I think it does a great job in conveying the sense of adventure and curiosity that a library provides. The book follows a little boy who visits his public library every day and befriends the librarians, who teach him about finding information within books and the internet. "That's how librarians are. They just can't help it."
The book follow Melvin, the little boy, as he grows from first grade through fifth grade and beyond. Thoug
Radym
I don't think I was supposed to cry at the end of this book.
Dolly
Aug 02, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I just love stories about libraries and this was such a sweet story. I love the different ways that the librarians could help the young boy learn and satisfy his curiosity. And I certainly loved the ending. The illustrations remind me strongly of C.F. Payne's style and complemented the story nicely, if a bit abstractly. I liked to see how the librarians aged throughout the book, still as happy and helpful as ever. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

This story was selected as one of t
Linda Lipko
Feb 08, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
Melvin's second home is the Livingston Library! He is embraced by three fun-loving, intelligent and spunky librarians who help him with research projects, guide him, welcome him and encourage his love of knowledge.

Illustrated by Brad Sneed, the images are crisp, clear with lovely facial images.

If you, like me, were raised by a librarian, or a series of librarians, you will appreciate this lovely book.

Personally, Miss Alice Blake, former Bangor, PA librarian is one of the people who had a profoun
April Thompson
May 05, 2014 April Thompson rated it it was amazing
This story portrays my love for books and libraries. My mom worked at the local library when I was eight, and I remember loving everything about it day after day. The feeling hasn't worn off and I hope to one day retire and work at a library!
Crystal Marcos
Mar 03, 2012 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
My little one really liked this book and so did I. It is a bit lengthy for younger children but she could relate having spent time at the library. It is a heart-warming story about a little boy who grows up getting to know his librarians through spending many days after school at the library. Though the story is somewhat predictable it is still a treat to watch all the characters grow older together. I liked how interested the librarians were in him and vice versa. The illustrations were very ex ...more
Jackie
Jul 03, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The illustrations and conversations are so heart-warming and touching. Melvin loved the library so much, he felt like he lived there...all facts, figures and information were at his fingertips, and he grew to love the three librarians, Leeola, Betty, and Marge, who all looked forward to his visit every day after school. Throughout his school years, up until he left for college, the library was his special place. He missed it terribly when he was away, as the librarians missed ...more
Lauren Camin-Calixto
Mar 29, 2016 Lauren Camin-Calixto rated it it was amazing
Summary:
In The Boy who was Raised by Librarians by Carla Morris, the main character Melvin spends his free time at a library. Melvin is an inquisitive young student who frequents his local library throughout his life. He grew up asking questions and searching for answers. With the help of the librarians, he found answers to his questions and discovered new facts. He participated in after school programs and summer reading activities. Throughout the book, three librarians, Leeola, Marge, and Bett
Laurie
May 28, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it
Anna Dipprey
When I first picked this book up I thought it would be about a boy whose parents were librarians, this assumption was purely based on the cover and title. However, after reading this book by Carla Morris, I really enjoyed that it followed him through his childhood. I appreciated this book because I have minor OCD and find it very pleasing when things are in order, just like Melvin likes how orderly libraries are.

Purposes
Read Aloud for enrichment:
This story can be relatable to students who love
Megan Koval
This book is about a young boy named Marvin who spends much of his time at the library. He is able to learn lots of information from the librarians and becomes good friends with them over his years of school. With the help of the librarians, Marvin is able to succeed at many things. Soon it comes time for Marvin to head to college. He misses his librarian friends very much when he is in college. Once he graduates, he comes back and gets a job at the library as the newest librarian.

I thought t
Lindsay Garber
Personal Reaction:
I truly enjoy this book because the message is so important and powerful to young children who are starting to become readers. Carla Morris successfully portrays the importance of reading and how far it can take you in life. While creating an important message, the story also contains entertaining parts that will keep students engaged. An example includes when Melvin tripped in the library while holding a jar of bugs and they scattered everywhere. Children will love this book!

P
Melissa Stasi
Feb 11, 2015 Melissa Stasi rated it it was amazing
The moment I read this book, I knew that I was going to like it because I loved looking at books when I was a child and one of my good friend's dad is the illustrator, Brad Sneed. The colors on the title are so bright and colorful and any child who reads this book, will immediately be lured to opening it up. This book's moral talks about how the library is a fun place and a child can get any book they want while at the library. The librarians are always nice and helpful and reading can even some ...more
Mom (Tash)
Mar 04, 2009 Mom (Tash) rated it it was amazing
This is another great picture book! Your children will love it, and you will too! I KNOW you all take your children to the library, (you are such great parents) and this is yet another book to reinforce what a wonderful place that is, and what endearing people librarians can be. Definately a "Storytime With Grandma Tash Gold Star Winner"!!
(In case you may be wondering if I promote every children's book about libraries, not true...do not check out "The Library Dragon". It is a total disappointmen
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
First of all, the title is misleading. I had anticipated a story about a boy actually living in the library and being raised by librarians and was disappointed by the first line in the book. The boy is actually a bookworm who spends all his time in the library and forms a family-like bond with the three librarians at his local library.

Second of all, despite my disappointment, the story was actually pretty good and inspiring. The illustrations are incredible and could stand alone as a wordless b
Katherine
Jun 23, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it
Awesome!
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 18, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
A whole book full of stereotypes and pigeonholes. A silly fantasyland that is so saccharine it hurts.

There is a little cottage industry based on writing children's books with pandering librarian-appeal and selling them to librarians. How I wish it would stop.

Hated the illustrations. Hated them!

And where were this kid's parents, anyway? Just absolutely never mentioned. More of the nonsense that family is of no value and the state (village) will raise your child.
Marie
Aug 16, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing
Just look at that title! How could this youth library employee with a male child not love this one?? I read this immediately after pulling it off the holds shelf, and plan to read it to my boy tonight. It's such a sweet story! The titular boy, Melvin, wasn't actually 100% raised by librarians- instead, this book tells the story of all the support and encouragement that he received from his three local childrens librarians growing up. They helped him classify bugs in first grade and ace his scien ...more
Diane
Jun 17, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Aww, what a sweet children's book! It's about a boy named Melvin who spends a lot of time in his public library and the friendship he develops with the librarians. The story is written by a children's librarian, and it does a good job of highlighting all the different services that libraries offer today. I would recommend the book to any parents who want to get their children excited about the library.
Colleen Vincent
Melvin is a curious boy who loves the library, and as the author, Carla Morris, observes, "the library is a wonderful place to be if a person is curious." The librarians and Melvin share a loving relationship as they provide a welcoming, nurturing, learning environment for Melvin at the library, inspiring him and helping him learn about the world around him.
Hannah Taylor
Personal reaction: This book was not my favorite because there was no real plot, which, for me, made it hard to read. Although the main character had a goal - to acquire knowledge - it was more just a list of events that happened, like him winning the spelling bee and geography bee and anything else he competed in. However, I think it has a purpose in the classroom.

Purpose: This book would be great for read aloud enrichment for K-2 graders. In elementary school, there is often a field trip to a
  • The Library Dragon
  • Miss Dorothy and Her Bookmobile
  • The Library
  • Tomas and the Library Lady
  • That Book Woman
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Library Lil
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Bats at the Library