Start by marking “The Next President” as Want to Read:
The Next President

The Next President

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Joseph Flynn's critically acclaimed novel Digger was a People magazine Page-Turner of the Week and was hailed by The Denver Post as being "as clever as...any John Grisham work." Now, with The Next President, he has set a new benchmark for suspense. This is no simple cat-and-mouse story, but a nonstop thriller in which you'll never guess who's the cat and who's the mouse un ...more
Published June 6th 2000 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Next President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next President

Mike French
Very enjoyable read. First time reading this author, but not my last!
Pierre Sr.
I had a hard time reading this book... Not that it wasn't good, no. On the contrary, I just couldn't let it down! But I had work to do and I kept on reading anyway, so I was behind schedule with what I should have been doing instead of reading The Next President.

I usually do not mention what the book is about, because there are so many other readers that can do that a lot better than I can. I prefer letting others know how my reading experience has been with the book I'm reviewing. So here goes:
Suzeesg
First time reading this author and wow, I'm a fan. Every chapter, a new exciting event/twist! Defines "page turner"

Wow, all the threads came together perfectly! Last 50 or so pages, could not stop and was late for work! This one is a true thriller in every sense! I have found a new favorite author, Joseph Flynn
Swagato Barman Roy
An excellent thriller with optimum pace and a mix of romance, personal tragedy, action and climax. Even though some of the actions and motivations make little sense from my perspective, I am happy to ascribe them to the artistic license. Certainly I will look forward to read more from this author.
Nancy Kennedy
Oldie but goodie. It's 2004 and a black man is running for president against the incumbent. There are more assassination attempts than you can count. Kidnappings, blackmail, snipers--action on every page. And by the middle of the book, I finally quit thinking the candidate was Obama!
Elizabeth
Excellent Read

Excellent Read

Very suspenceful.....enjoyed very much! recommend,would be a great vacation book. great read for the beach and to escape to the political world.
Lexie Miller
Great suspense and thriller! First book I read by this author and it was such a treat. From the story line to the characters plus an interesting twist you will have trouble putting this book down!
Linda Branich
Kidnapping, Old Timey Hatfields and McCoys family feuds, blackmail, old army buddies and character assasinations during a Presidential campaign, mixed up with the attempted murder of a black Senator, the candidate pitted against the incumbant President, rogue protective agents and future Presidential appointees make this thriller hard to put down.
Gary M. Burris
Unbelievable plots sort of come together

almost stopped reading this book several times but I stuck it out. wish I had followed my instinct. Do not recommend
Kristina
I will be looking more from this author.
Debbie
very fast paced and keeps your attention with numerous twists, just when you think you have it figured out it takes another turn and the ending is a surprise right up to the last few chapters.
Elaine
This book starts with a bang, and kept my interest throughout. I thought I had a good handle on what was going on, but Mr. Flynn had enough twists and turns in the plot to keep me guessing and intrigued. This is the second of his books I have read, and I am looking forward to sampling more of his work.
Iris
This is an exciting story from the start. The storyline tells of an attempt to assassinate a presidential candidate but with background plots running alongside. A gripping tale which keeps the reader guessing until towards the end. A good read.
Philip Cook
This was a really good book. I enjoyed the way the seperate storylines ran as stand alone stories and simply merged at a few points rather than rolling together. I also liked the suprise ending(s), which normally I don't.
Doug Meyn
Four stars because it was very entertaining and held my interest, but as with some of Mr. Flynn's other works the story line got a bit convoluted, especially near the end. All in all a fun read.
Sandy Bailey
Great thriller with multiple assassins. Kept the pages turning and constantly changing who I thought the real assassin was, plus some really good subplots going at the same time. Loved it!
Frank Muller
Great beach or vacation book. Fast paced and a bit of a unique story line that you do not typically get in the run of the mill thriller.
Mike Fordice
like 3 stories in one - well intertwined
Kevin
Between 3 and 4stars. Decent plot and kept me reading and intrigued.
Bettie
4.8 stars...some editing errors. I do enjoy his books!
Ken
My first book my this author. Really grabs you right away, but ending a little anticlimatic. However, I did take awhile to read, so that may have led to the ending being not so great. But would read more from this author.
Tina Adams
Tina Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Linda Carrigan
Linda Carrigan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Sally Malkowski
Sally Malkowski is currently reading it
Nov 10, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • Closure (Jack Randall #1)
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Blood Dahlia - A Thriller (Sarah King Mysteries)
  • The Card Counter
  • Betrayed
  • First, Do No Harm (Brier Hospital, #1)
  • An American Outlaw
  • Cry of the Needle
  • Eleven (The Brandon Fisher FBI Series, #1)
  • Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Colorado Wild (Colorado Heart, #1)
  • King City
  • Twisted Justice
  • Blood and Roses
Joseph Flynn has been published both traditionally — Signet Books, Bantam Books and Variance Publishing — and through his own imprint, Stray Dog Press, Inc. Both major media reviews and reader reviews have praised his work. Booklist said, “Flynn is an excellent storyteller.” The Chicago Tribune said, “Flynn [is] a master of high-octane plotting.” The most repeated reader comment is: Write faster, ...more
More about Joseph Flynn...
The President's Henchman (Jim McGill, #1) The Hangman's Companion (Jim McGill #2) Round Robin Nailed (A Ron Ketchum Mystery #1) The Last Ballot Cast (Jim McGill, #4 Part 1)