Start by marking “Houseboat Chronicles - Notes from a Life in Shield Country” as Want to Read:
Houseboat Chronicles - Notes from a Life in Shield Country

Houseboat Chronicles - Notes from a Life in Shield Country

This is the story of Jake MacDonald’s discovery of some of the last wild places in North America. The Precambrian Shield extends from the Arctic, across much of eastern Canada, and south into the United States. When Jake was still a boy, his father built a cottage in Manitoba. It was here that Jake developed a hankering to live in wild places, and why he decided to quit ...more
Published September 17th 2002 by McClelland and Stewart (first published January 1st 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about Houseboat Chronicles - Notes from a Life in Shield Country

Leigh
Oct 06, 2011 Leigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
Really enjoyable read about a writer who finds a place for himself in sparsely populated Northern Ontario amongst bears, lakes and fish. It's more of a Walden Pond wilderness experience with canned beans and never too far away from a Northern Exposure-type town. But he lives on a houseboat and works as a guide and writes about it all in such an honest, yet unmacho way. Maybe I'm reacting to the fact that he's Canadian, but it was understated and funny and lyrical, and a very nice read, indeed.
Foxthyme
May 08, 2014 Foxthyme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read Jake MacDonald. He has such an open and friendly style. Though in some ways I feel he was too honest in this book. And his guilt of [potential plot wrecker so blotted out section] makes me feel guilty too. Cause he writes it in such a way, I feel like I was there too and played some part in it. Ach!

One of my favourite excerpts from this book comes from the section on his childhood family summer travels in the Buick:
That particular day, it was fantastically hot, as only southern M
Chana
I like this book so much that I would like to buy my own copy.
Jake M. tells his story in a way that is entertaining, he teaches while making you laugh. He keeps a level voice, self-deprecating but optimistic and kind. I learned a lot reading it and kept reading passages aloud as I thought my family should appreciate his knowledge, thoughts and insights as well. I enjoyed his sense of humor very much because it doesn't come at any one else's expense. Even the sad things are told with appropriate
Tommy
Aug 09, 2010 Tommy rated it it was amazing
I loved this! Perfect timing too. I read it in a cabin in Maine about 30 yards from the water. I love his ability to convey his childhood and love of the outdoors. He was a good storyteller and I could definitely relate to some aspects of it. A great read for anyone who loves and grew up in the outdoors.
Sarah Boon
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah Boon rated it it was amazing
Loved it. A wandering and excellently written narrative that pays tribute to the wilds of Canada while showing readers their importance for the development of the author. I picture some of Macdonald's exploits in my head even months after having finished the book.
Lamech Mariita
Jan 07, 2013 Lamech Mariita rated it really liked it
This is a great Canadian biographical novel. it's touching and engaging auto biography of Jake.
He intertwines interesting facts and history with his own experiences. The book is never boring.
It's definitely a good read.
erica
erica rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Ray Catellier
Ray Catellier rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2010
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Marion
Marion rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2011
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Astralabe
Astralabe rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2009
X2006nsz
X2006nsz rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Heather(Gibby)
Heather(Gibby) rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2012
Jon Zerndt
Jon Zerndt rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Chris Hunter
Chris Hunter rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Dan Wellington
Dan Wellington rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Allison Ann
Allison Ann rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Junith Comstock
Junith Comstock rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Pamk
Pamk rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
Barb
Barb rated it liked it
Xavier Zhapan
Xavier Zhapan rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Deb Jonasson
Deb Jonasson rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Clara
Clara rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Bgff
Bgff rated it really liked it
Kingsley
Kingsley rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Scarlatti
Scarlatti rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2013