Start by marking “The Heir (Reid Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heir (Reid Family, #1)

The Heir (Reid Family #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  6,504 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
The many wondrous gifts of Johanna Lindsey—her fiery and endearing characters, her enthralling stories, her ingenious blending of passion, wit, and emotion—are all on glorious display in this unforgettable tale about an unwanted title and an unexpected love.

Has anyone in London ever taken part in the coming-out Season with less enthusiasm than Sabrina? Luckily, the most so
Published August 29th 2006 by Avon (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Roman
Jun 01, 2014 Roman rated it it was ok
To Be brutally honest,

No passion. No romance.

This book is about a handsome Scottish heir coming down to England and struggling with an unwanted arranged engagement with a bratty but gorgeous and the most desirable woman in London. And she isn't even suppose to be the female lead character!

Sabrina, the female lead character, is constantly described in this book by characters as being plain-looking and unwanted by men. Hardly what any readers want in the female lead. So she has a great personality
Didi
I can't believe I've had this tucked away in my drawer for so long and only read it now. I loved this story of unexpected love. Sabrina is a country girl brought to London for her first ever season. She lives with her two spinster aunts and can only survive the big city by being taken under the wing by the most beautiful and sought after debutante, Ophelia Reid.
Ophelia is promised to a Scottish Highlander, Duncan MacTavish, but she's been spreading rumours about him and his barbaric ways hoping
Isabel María Sierra García
El heredero, nos narra la historia de Ducan escoces de nacimiento pero con raíces inglesas. Siempre ha vivido en escocia junto a su abuelo paterno. Pero Ducan tiene un abuelo materno, ingles, que reclama la promesa que hizo su hija, la madre de Ducan.

¿Cual era esa promesa?

Regresar junto a su abuelo materno para hacerse cargo de sus tierra y de su titulo.

Pero para que Ducan vaya a Inglaterra deben de buscarle una esposa, única condición que el abuelo paterno impone. La afortunada es Ophelia.

Oph
Manju
Sep 05, 2007 Manju rated it did not like it
My My...a story can twist and turn so much. literally as if just for the purpose of having a thick novel, the author put up so many obstacles in the way of the marriage between the main characters.
Kathie (katmom)
Aug 12, 2011 Kathie (katmom) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED Duncan...he enjoyed LAUGHING with Sabrina...and Sabrina could make him laugh heartily. A Hero that likes to laugh...and not be all serious and ALPHA all the time...what a refreshing change!

Duncan needs to marry...his Scottish grandfather wants him to choose someone GORGEOUS...His English grandfather just wants him to choose...and get some heirs.

Duncan is a bit shocked as he's only 21 and no one told him that he was going to inherit the English title.

He's also annoyed. Just after his arri
MAP
Mar 17, 2009 MAP rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Well this is what happens when you accidentally leave your own books at home and end up rooting through a family member's attic for reading material.

What the hell was this? I recognize it was just a romance novel, not some Pulitzer prize winner, but the dialogue was atrocious and incredibly contrived and forced, the innumerable (and unnecessary) twists and turns lead to a still pathetically predictable ending (oh surprise surprise at who got who....and I don't just mean the main 2. You could hav
Ssil
Nov 30, 2015 Ssil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
{2.5}

Si os apetece leer una novela sencilla, amena, entretenida y bonita, sin grandes complicaciones, El heredero puede ser una de vuestras opciones. En esta ocasión, Johanna Lindsey no nos ofrece su mejor versión, sino una más ligera, eso sí, con el consabido sentido del humor que la caracteriza.

Reseña: http://loquequierahoy.blogspot.com.es...
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was an enjoyable book. It was a different type of book for Lindsey but had her familiar and enjoyable writing style. I was getting a bit worried because it seemed like it took a while for things to get going between Duncan and Sabrina, and Ophelia was annoying the heck out of me. That's why I put it down...for quite a while. An online reading buddy encouraged me to continue it and I am glad. It was a comedy of manners and dealt with the machinations of Duncan's grandfathers to get him marri ...more
Chumchum_88
Nov 21, 2014 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, and truth be told I had my doubts it would be, but I gladly can admit that I was mistaken.

The story itself was splendidly done, and I loved all the characters, Johanna Lindsey had a way that made us love all the characters, my favorites were both grandfathers but I have to admit that I liked Neville more, Rafe of course, and lastly the main couple.

Sabrina was my favorite character of all in here, she was just so full of life and love, she liked people and people liked h
Readitnweep
I was drawn to keep reading, even as I found so many things I didn't like. Sabrina was likeable enough as the protagonist, if only that. She was flat at times, showing little emotion. Duncan was more interesting because he was more dimensional than she. Neither were characters that will haunt the imagination hours after I've put the book down.

Other problems were the literary conveniences, of which there were many. Duncan, a single man, would just go up to Ophelia's room at night to give her a pi
Susan (susayq ~)
Ophelia is a lying, manipulative, spiteful, wretched woman who should have been run over by her horse and carriage. Oh wait, this wasn't Ophelia's story. This was Duncan and Sabrina's story. And what a happy ending they got...with Ophelia not making it easy for them. I do wish we could have seen more of Duncan and Sabrina together. Can I hope that I see them again in the rest of the series? Especially since the next book is Ophelia's story. I can't wait to see what the author does to change my o ...more
Leona
Jan 13, 2013 Leona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I read this book many years ago, and it remains one of my all time favorite historical romances, mostly because the heroine is so delightful. She is witty, charming, kind and above all practical. It drags a little about 2/3 of the way through, but I can forgive it because the rest is so wonderful. Especially the ending.

He can burn his boots at my fireplace anytime. : - )
Yankeecountess
This is the first book I've ever read by Johanna Lindsey. I've seen her stuff on shelves for ages, and would certainly rate her amongst the first romance novelists I remember hearing about as a child. I've seen "mixed reviews" for her work here, including this specific book, so I went in prepared for the possible worst...and I'm happy to say that I actually really liked the story.

That isn't to say that the book doesn't have its flaws, and I'll get to that in a minute. But overall, it was an ente
Jonel Boyko
Jan 08, 2015 Jonel Boyko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-rlftci-2015
Lindsey’s definitely done it again. She had me hooked from beginning to end with this one. I found the storyline to be intriguing and unforgettable. I also appreciate the fact that she places her stories completely in the time period at hand. She makes them enjoyable and accessible to modern readers without taking liberties with the history and conventions of the time. The narrator for the audio version was brilliant. She could make even the worst book enjoyable. Paired with this entertaining st ...more
Ange H
Aug 03, 2015 Ange H rated it did not like it
REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

This novel should have one of those taglines underneath the title. It would read like this:

Did you know that if your friend rapes you in a coach, you can't get pregnant?

Because that is actually the central premise of the book. And it's not even the MOST ridiculous thing about the book. All the characters behave in ways that no human being has ever behaved. They have to keep explaining WHY they did or said something, since it all makes absolutely no sense and otherwise the
Marianne
Oct 29, 2013 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: regency, own-paper
I suppose I liked this book in spite of numerous problems. It started out very appealing, ended happily, and had a middle full of highly contrived plot devices and a heroine who as TSTL. Don't get me wrong. I liked her. Her humor was delightful but there just wasn't enough of it and it was more than offset by those angsty, insecure moments when she was falling for every lie Ophelia spun even though she had plenty of evidence that the woman was pure poison.

Mostly, there just weren't enough scenes
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Duncan MacTavish finds himself summond to the bedside of Lord Neville Thacheray his grandfather. He finds himself being told that he has now a fiancee, whom he doesn't want. So Duncan just takes Ophelia home so they can begin their almost married life together. Duncan gets to know her a lot, along with a million other young ladies. So naturally Ophelia gets jealouse but doesn't know what to do about it. Especailly because Duncan meets Sabrina, he thinks of her as specail. But rumors and inuendos ...more
Anisashraf
May 14, 2014 Anisashraf rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, johanna-lindsey
Wrong time, wrong book.. I can't judge the book properly, because cannot digest this book. Many pages I skipped. I read till the end just to know the ending. In my mind, Johanna Lindsey's books worth to read, so I keep on..

“Brina, lass, will you marry me?”

She ought to explain, but in the end all she could get out was, “No.”

He wasn’t expecting that answer. His expression said as much, the surprise, the hurt he quickly masked, the stiffness that came next. But he wouldn’t leave it at that, either.
Patria
Nov 30, 2010 Patria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: johanna-lindsey
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Not as impassioned as the other Lindsey novel that I have read. I was not gong-ho excited. I was honestly ready for it to be over with and not in a good way. I can't put my finger on it but this was missing something that I have grown to love in Lindsey's novels.

I am happy though to see that the underdog has a back bone and a quick wit. She is competent and easy going. I will continue on to the next story in the series just to follow through for updates to the characters I meet in this journey.
Brenda
ceritanya biasa, dan gak meninggalkan kesan apapun di gw-_- bacanya jadi ogah2-an.. akhirnya selesai juga sekarang, walopun gw kebanyakan di skip hehe:) Sabrina Lambert and Duncan Mc Travish, menurutku biasa aja ngak ada yang istimewa dari mereka, lebih bagus buku keduanya The Devil Who Tamed Her, karna baca buku keduanya duluan jadi kecantol ama si Rafe daripada si Duncan, meskipun Ophelia emang orang yang nyebelin, but i still like her:)
phoebess
Aug 07, 2015 phoebess rated it really liked it
I had to fan myself while reading this book—when Duncan was speaking, to be exact, with his oh-so-yummy Scottish brogue. I do love books with Scots almost unconditionally. And yes, I know it's not very healthy but... Shut up!
Scottish brogue aside, the story was entertaining and almost all characters were well written and lovable. I said "almost" because I still have some reservations about Ophelia, even after all those years since I've read it for the first time.
Sonja
Feb 18, 2009 Sonja rated it liked it
Ok, it was pretty cheesy. And writing out the Scottish brogue gets a little old. But the characters were cute and the plot was amusing.
Tuesday's Child
Feb 15, 2014 Tuesday's Child rated it really liked it
Light reading with an interesting enough plot. Great if you are looking for entertainment without much thinking...
Renée
May 20, 2017 Renée rated it liked it
It didn't help that I skipped almost half the boom because I couldn't understand most of what the characters said. Why did it have to be Scottish? 😢

Worst of all, the picture of the two main characters is horrible. No--- the girl wasn't horrible. THE GUY IS. Oh my god, no matter how much I try, I cannot undo it in my mind. He's ugly as fuuuuuu**.
Olivia
Jul 19, 2017 Olivia rated it did not like it
Awful. Don't know why I finished this book. Leads were annoying, plot was boring. I must have been desperate.
Amanda Kern
Jul 02, 2017 Amanda Kern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny book

This book had me laughing out loud. I will be reading the next book. This is a book is going to be a classic.
Kathy
Sabrina and Duncan... Sabrina's a wonderful young lady - raised by two, bickering maiden aunts (her parents died because of food poisoning).. she's level headed, optomistic, friendly, content... she knows she's fair looking, her father was an earl, she's well off... and a tragedy/cloud/scandal hangs over her head - her great-grandfather committed suicide, her grandfather died under mysterious circumstances, and her parents died of food poisoning (though the gossip says they committed suicide tog ...more
Caron Pescatore
Apr 04, 2015 Caron Pescatore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marie
Aug 06, 2014 Marie rated it liked it
Bintang 3
Reid Family #1

Perasaan bisa berubah. Teman bisa menjadi kekasih. Musuh bisa menjadi teman. Dan teman bisa menjadi musuh. Buku ini bisa menjadi gambaran dari perasaan beberapa anak manusia. Ada saat saat seseorang dapat berlaku buruk tanpa dia sadari dan bahkan disadari, yg dapat melukai perasaan orang lain. Nah... tergantung yg mendapat perlakuan buruk itu. Apakah ia tetap pada pribadinya yg baik atau berubah menjadi seburuk orang yg menyakitinya.

Ophelia Reid, gadis tercantik, bunga dan
  • The Reluctant Suitor
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11)
  • Dream Lover
  • The Wyndham Legacy (Legacy, #1)
  • Dream Island (Akora, #1)
  • The Conquest (Peregrine #2)
  • My Favorite Bride (Governess Brides, #7)
  • Prince Charming
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...

Reid Family (4 books)
  • The Devil Who Tamed Her (Reid Family, #2)
  • A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)
  • Let Love Find You (Reid Family, #4)

“Duncan would not have been impressed had he known all of that.He was hoping their first meeting would be their last.They were to become great friends,though.They just didn't know it yet.” 0 likes