Start by marking “The Lost Keys of Freemasonry (Also Includes: Freemasonry of the Ancient Egyptians / Masonic Orders of Fraternity)” as Want to Read:

Here is Manly P. Hall's classic work on history's most secretive brotherhood- reset and collected with two additional celebrated Hall volumes on occult Masonry.\n\n Freemasonry is the subject of perennial fascination-recently the cover story of a national newsmagazine, the premise of the movie "National Treasure", and the anticipated basis of a forthcoming novel by Dan Bro ...more
Published August 17th 2006 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Keys of Freemasonry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Keys of Freemasonry

IAO131
This book actually is a combination of 3 different texts from M.P. Hall. The first deals with the basic ideas of Freemasonry as reflected into the 3 Blue Lodge degrees, at least in some symbolic way. They are mostly a panegyric and battle-cry -type speech, almost a sermon, which will be familiar to readers of other Masonic writers such as Pike. Hall dispenses with any kind of hyper-detailed deconstruction and exhorts the readers to become 'true Masons' in spirit in various ways. TL;DR: The Lost ...more
Richard
May 08, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Hall is an excellent writer. How he wrote as insightfully, poetically and beautifully as he did, while not even a freemason is hard for me to understand. The first book was the best. followed by the second. By the third book, the magic was gone, and it was quite dry and boring. did more simming than reading. But the first book (essentially an archetypal explanation of one of the central legends of freemasonry) is very illuminating. good read.
Chuck Springer
Aug 17, 2014 Chuck Springer rated it liked it
An interesting read which provides some of the ideology behind freemasonry. Throughout the book, it prompted me to question myself and the direction I am heading. I enjoyed the opportunities of contemplation it allowed.
Davin
Jun 23, 2009 Davin rated it it was amazing
amazing shit.
Mick Glasgow
Mar 27, 2008 Mick Glasgow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those into Philosophy, spirituality
Excellent philosophical treatise on the real life work of Freemasonry.
Steve
Apr 23, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Freemasons
An excellent book for Freemasons interested in the more esoteric aspects of The Craft. If possible, read it as you progress through the first three degrees for additional insight.
Hans
"Ignorance fears all things, falling, terror-stricken before the passing wind. Superstition stands as the monument to ignorance, and before it kneel all who realize their own weakness who see in all things the strength they do not possess"

"Every soul is engaged in a great work-the labor of personal liberation from the state of ignorance. The world is a great prison; its bars are the Unknown. And each is a prisoner until, at last, he earns the right to tear these bars from their moldering sockets
Vicki
Jan 10, 2017 Vicki rated it liked it
This book is a combination of several smaller books/pamphlets by the author, so some of the same ground is gone over twice. Frequently referred to in this edition is General Albert Pike, since I grew up in Arkansas, his name is familiar. There are schools, streets and state parks bearing his name throughout the state. In addition, Pike wrote "Morals and Dogma" which is also used by Hall as a reference and may provide further illumination on this interesting character. While the subject of Genera ...more
Christopher
Jan 26, 2010 Christopher rated it really liked it
Being new to the study of the more esoteric side of Freemasonry I really had no preconceptions about what to expect when reading this book.

There were definitely times I thought to myself "Gee, this reads like NewAge (rhymes with sewage :)" but inevitably I would realize upon finishing the section that this was more commentary on my reaction to the writer's style than any actual content of the book.
Ron
Jan 06, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
About 2/3 through. Actually am reading a compilation of three books by this author in one volume. Mixture of poetic beauty, mysticism, and historical research.

Update: Finishing last pages. Well worth the read. The fascination of the initial book in the volume was hard to beat. Not for everyone, but I enjoyed the mysticism and poetic beauty that Hall put together during much of "The Freemasonry of the Egyptians" portion, and episodically in the later half of it.
Chris
Nov 15, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it
While this was an entertaining read, it inevitably leaves those of us without magical ways of thinking wishing we had spared ourselves the effort it took to read this asymetrical load of psycho-babble. Do yourself a favor: talk to an actual Freemason about his craft or join the local lodge to see what it is for yourself. You will most likely be a little disappointed.
Aimal Khan
Sep 27, 2016 Aimal Khan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I haven't read it completely since the depth of the book requires to commit a lot of time which unfortunately I do not find in my daily routine :-) but I really admire the basic concepts of freemasonry that I have acquired and understood. It is beautiful and I believe if freemasonry is understood well and embraced, can change one's life.
Jean
Jan 08, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
When I read this book I was ignorant of all the going ons in the supposedly secret societies that have existed over time. I was floored and amazed at the level of spirituality that the Freemasons were and are trying to achieve. I am not a freemason so I have no clue if any of it is true.
Danh Tran
Aug 11, 2016 Danh Tran rated it liked it
I picked this book up because of my curiosity for secret spiritual socities, and this book is definitely spiritual. I was pleasantly surprised with the book's overall message. Keep an open mind, for those that are not spiritually inclined.
Alessandro
Apr 03, 2008 Alessandro rated it liked it
So long as you take it as allegory and not history, it can be interesting. You have to be careful with Manly Hall though because he just makes stuff up and passes it off as truth. N.B. He wasn't even a Mason when he wrote this.
Tarquin Namaste
Apr 07, 2014 Tarquin Namaste rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hall provides a useful set of insights into the first three degrees of Freemasonry. Freemasonry is without doubt the last surviving well-known source of the true secrets of this illusion and the book goes some way into explaining the meanings of rituals.
Teresa
Aug 21, 2012 Teresa rated it did not like it
To his credit, Manly P. Hall says to the uninitiated non-Mason this would be, as Shakespeare said, "Words, words, words." Succinctly sums it up. Pompous blathering that I read as research, or else I'd have skipped it.
Starland
Feb 24, 2011 Starland added it
Shelves: occult
Very readable...at least the first book ("Lost Secrets")is. This, like a lot of Hall's books, is most probably something one would recommend to a newly initiated Freemason.
Cynthia
Jun 09, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
fabulous!
Joseph
Jun 13, 2012 Joseph rated it it was amazing
More to this book than meets the eye. One of the deepest of published Masonic books.
Ted Heitz
Feb 28, 2010 Ted Heitz rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Insightful, eludes to freemasonry as a religion...same author praises "black magic" and satanic ritual via Waite and Levi.
Sergei Rudz
Jun 16, 2015 Sergei Rudz rated it it was amazing
"It is worse by far to know and not to do than never to have known at all."
"He must search for the high things in lowly places and find the lowly things in high places."
Christina Macapagal
Mar 23, 2013 Christina Macapagal rated it it was amazing
A mind needs to be opened to absorbed all that he shares within this book. Manly P. Hall does not just discuss Freemasonry, but of self-development and self-knowledge.
Doug Luberts
Sep 01, 2016 Doug Luberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for all Freemasons

Manly P. Hall is one of the great philosophical lights of Freemasonry, and this book, while often mis-quoted, one of his most profound works.
Wclorick
Wclorick rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2010
Nayeli Lopez
Nayeli Lopez rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
James E. Hansen
James E. Hansen rated it liked it
May 10, 2015
Charlie Roberts
Charlie Roberts rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2015
Dory
Dory rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015
  • Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C.
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • Morals and Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
  • The Temple and the Lodge
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry
  • A Bridge To Light , A Study in Masonic Ritual & Philosophy
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry
  • The Meaning of Masonry
  • The Builders: A Story and Study of Masonry
  • Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith
  • Rule by Secrecy: The Hidden History that Connects the Trilateral Commission, the Freemasons & the Great Pyramids
  • The Book of Hiram
  • Turning the Hiram Key
  • America's Secret Establishment: An Introduction to the Order of Skull  Bones
  • The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's Capital: The Masons and the Building of Washington, D.C.
  • Modern Sex Magick: Secrets of Erotic Spirituality
  • The Secret History of the World and How to Get Out Alive
Canadian born, Manly Palmer Hall is the author of over 150 published works, the best known of which are Initiates of the Flame, The Story of Healing, The Divine Art,Aliens Magick and Sorcery The Secret Teachings of All Ages, and An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy.
He was also the author of a masonic curiosity, The Lost Keys of Freemasonry in
More about Manly P. Hall...

“They wander in darkness seeking light, failing to realize that the light is in the heart of the darkness” 10 likes
“Every soul is engaged in a great work-the labor of personal liberation from the state of ignorance. The world is a great prison; its bars are the Unknown. And each is a prisoner until, at last, he earns the right to tear these bars from their moldering sockets, and pass, illuminated and inspired into the darkness, which becomes lighted by that presence” 6 likes