Start by marking “Secret Fire” as Want to Read:
Secret Fire

Secret Fire

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,989 ratings  ·  187 reviews
He's caught only a glimpse of her from the window of his carriage, but the young Russian prince knew he had to have her. Within minutes, Lady Katherine St. John was dragged from the London street like a common waif and carries off to a sumptuous town house...
Published December 1st 1987 by Avon (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Fire

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I cannot really explain why this is a favorite Johanna Lindsey book since the premise is rather offensive. A rich, playboy Russian prince sees a woman on the streets of London, and tells his servants to abduct her since he's currently without a bedmate. They actually kidnap her and take her back to Russia. Ugh! What? Yet I love this book.

I did not agree with what Dimitri did to Katherine. He was arrogant and thought the world belonged to him. He was a prince of Russia, and they had lots of power
Willow
While most Johanna Lindsey books are the same, with the same snooty heroine being abducted and tied up by the same witless hero. This book is at the top of my list for most hated. That’s because the two main characters are just two obnoxious bunholes. Seriously, I wanted Godzilla to show up and eat them.

Ren
Revised rating to 2 stars..

Many friends suggest me to read this book. They said this book is good.
But after read it, I feel... tired :(This book tortured me a lot, both physically and mentally.Never get so emotional when read before.

I don't get about the captivate things (and rape, yes what Dimitri do to Katherine is rape). What make me curious is why Dimitri is not realize that Katherine is noble instead maid? And then what happen to Katherine, her abused condition, make me almost cringed..
The
manic_reader
I hated this book. Hated it. I lose interest in it when the heroine is abducted, threatened, drugged and then basically raped by the hero. All because he thinks shes just a maid.How nice.
He calls it "helping" because she in pain and she basically gives in. He coldly thinks of giving her to his footmen to "help" her. Oh how thoughtful

I started skimming through it in disgust as the heroine was abducted, now to Russia, and then this quote by the heroine- "Blast you Dmitri, dont be such a gentleman.
Jennifer Leighton (formerly known as HankLover)
Read this EONS ago... I don't remember much other than the heroine is given a drug to make her horny and the "hero" has to help her through it. Wasn't that nice of him. *rolls eyes* LOL
Romancekolik
Elle
This book hit on a lot of my romance pet peeves. spoiler The heroine is kidnapped, drugged, raped (yes, Johanna it is rape if she says no, or if she's intoxicated and can't truly consent, or if she is coerced), tied up and almost suffocated in a trunk, carried off as a prisoner in a foreign country, treated like a whore, displayed as the man's mistress, drugged again and raped again. And through it all she's attracted to the man who is behind it all. During the second rape, she decides she loves ...more
Marianne
If this were the first Johanna Lindsey book I had read, I would have never picked up a second.

This whole book was sick. Both Dimitri and Katherine are contemptible characters. They genuinely disturbed me. Rape, abduction, and enslavement do not a relationship make. If I was slipped a date-rape drug and was then violated for an entire night, my first coherent thought would NOT be about how much the rapist looks like a golden Adonis. I don't care how attractive he happened to be. Why must romance
Lynsey A
Nothing beats these old Johanna Lindsey classics. I wish she still wrote books like this and her other earlier works. Although, I didn't really care for the drugging but all in all still a good read. I love a good pregnancy and secret baby theme. I forgot how sweet the ending was with Dimitri hunting everywhere for Katherine (although, I love that he calls her Katya). I do think Katherine was a bit abrasive at times. I didn't notice it so much as a young teenager reading this book.

Glad I read t
Nazia
Awesome!!!!!!Fantabulous!!!!!! Magnificient!!!!!Now this is one is definitely a romantic novel. It's nothing less than a fairy tale.I just loved this book immensely. I love it to the very core and my first reaction after reading was awe,I just prayed to god after reading it that plzzzzzz get me someone like Dimitri too <3<3<3 It's a Cinderella like story, with a prince, palaces and a midnight ball, and even an evil aunt ( instead of the wicked stepmother).
Well to start with the plot,Di
Netha
hmmmmmmmmmm mo dibilangin suka nih novel yg bete bacanya tapi mo dibilang ga suka tapi kok ya kubaca terus
bingung khan??? :p

Lady Katherine St. John, yg diam2 mengikuti adiknya dengan berpakaian pelayan & tanpa dikawal siapapun diculik oleh seorang russian prince dimitri & langsung dijadikan tawanan hingga dibawa ke rusia.

dimitri yg mengganggap katherine hanya wanita biasa tidak mau melepaskan katherine & menjadikan katherine wanita simpanannya.
masalahnya saat dimitri menitipkan kath
Katie
It makes me upset that I liked this book when I was a young, impressionable girl. The heroine is drugged (without the hero's sayso, because that somehow makes it better?) with an aphrodisiac that, of course, makes her hot n' horny. He obliges her needs, because he's such a gentleman. (This is not to mention the second time she's drugged ON HIS ORDERS because she refused to sleep with him again. What chutzpah she has to do such a thing to him!)

He then proceeds to kidnap and sail her to another co
Lady Jaye
Dec 15, 2012 Lady Jaye rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Johanna Lindsey fans
Recommended to Lady Jaye by: Jane from Dear Author
Erm...... so I really have no excuse for enjoying this book, but that is exactly what I did: enjoy the heck out of it.

I mean, its premise and the actions of the hero are all really rather offensive. He has her abducted and force-fed an aphrodisiac so she would sleep with him even though she very vocally unwilling - it's kidnapping and date-rape, really, if you can call being forcefully taken to meet someone against one's wishes a "date."

NEVERTHELESS, I really, really liked this book. The hero a
Ashley
I have read this book close to a hundred times...ITS one of her BEST!!!!! For some reason I can never go to long without reading this novel. Honestly I don't know why, but I could guess its because of the amazing attraction and passion between the two main characters right from the start. If I ever had to pick one Johanna Lindsey book to keep with me for all time it will be this one!!
Seffra
5+ stars!!
Oh boy, did I love this book. I honestly can't express how much I loved this story. This being my first Johanna Lindsey book, I didn't really know what to expect but whoa..did this hit it out of the ball park? YES, it did! It was such great storytelling with such great characters. I loved Katherine for her strength. She had such a strong personality and didn't take shit from no one! Even when she was so in love with Dimitri, she remained strong and true to herself. Dimitri on the other
Pingle McCloud
Sabrina Sam
Surprisingly I finished this book pretty fast (2 days to be exact). I enjoyed the humor in it, although there were a few parts that caught me off guard. The heroine's character wasn't bad, but I felt like she gave in pretty quickly, given everything she went through. I found it a bit confusing how fast she fell in love with the hero. It just didn't make sense that a woman, who at the beginning is described as a strong-hearted, outspoken, fearless woman, would end up giving in so easily. The fact ...more
Luthien
Nov 20, 2011 Luthien rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: tbr
This is one of my favorite books, and a comfort read, although some might find it a little old fashioned. It's a Cinderella like story, with a prince, palaces and a midnight ball, and even an evil aunt ( instead of the wicked stepmother).
Spoilers ahead!
I think that my favorite character is Kate. She's strong willed, resourceful, and so very British it was a pleasure to read. I believe she also behaved like a Victorian lady would, and I found she also showed great courage in some difficult situat
Amy *Rawr*
Okay I like this book I really do however I have a bone to pick with it or rather the author.

I read Captive Bride by the same author first. I was shocked by how many similarities there were between the two books.

In fact the theme/plot of the story follows in this order:
1. Guy sees girl
2. Guy wants girl
3. Guy makes offer to girl
4. Girl refuses
5. Guy abducts girl because really that's the most logical thing to do after a girl tells you she's not interested (the world would be a scarier place then
signorina Vei
ga tahan deh kalo ga comment buat yg ini. :) buku ini gw rekomendasikan buat yg suka historical romance, secret fire cocok buat nambah koleksi. cerita tentang Dimitri Alexandrov, seorang pangeran Russia yg super ganteng yg petualangan cintanya udah terkenal. pangeran ini, dalam suatu situasi, menginginkan seorang gadis pelayan yg sangat menarik minat dia.
sayangnya, yg Dimitri mau itu bukan pelayan biasa, dia seorang lady, lady Katherine st John yg nyamar jadi pelayan.
Dimitri keburu nyulik dia un
I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. It's not violent and while emotional at times over all it's a bit more frustrating and funny than anything else. Prince Dimitri spies Lady Kathrine on the street and at once he knows that he wants her. However Kathrine is dressed in her servant's clothes and is mistaken for just that if not a whore. But the Princes word is law and if Kathrine wont be bought then Dimitri's servant is determined to give him what he want's even if that leads ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
Chemistry-nya sih jelas ada, tapi awalnya itu yang nggak sreg.

Tapi pengarang HR memang kudu kreatif dalam hal mempertemukan kedua tokoh utamanya, bosan kalau ketemunya di pesta dansa melulu kayak Cinderella... ;P

Beidewei, meski termasuk kategori "captive novel" yang kurang gw suka, minimal nggak kebablasan kayak "A Pirate's Love"-nya JL. Tokoh ceweknya, Katherine, pintar dan tough, cuma bad luck saja yang bikin dia diculik, diminumin aprodisiak, di******* dan seterusnya. Sayang tokoh cowoknya,
Lopita
A master piece as usual ... Lindsey is just the best though as usual you have to go through rape and hate we can add up a lot of anger resentment .... wow

when the feelings in the book go through you it means the book is a brilliant even if I hated the book after finishing it,but the author made me connect with the book ( as usual) the heroine anger was my anger and her pain with mine ..... Lindsey is brilliant !!
I loved and hated and sometimes went crazy and kept cursing the writer for the boo
Captmashpea
According to this book the secret to true love is Stockholm Syndrome. This book was awful.

The guy kidnaps the chick and his servants drug her so that she will sleep with him. After that so romantic beginning he drags her off to Russia and holds her captive but she refuses to sleep with him (even though she attracted to him) blah! So because he is not getting any he goes against his promise and drugs her again *shutters* and of course its during this second drug inducement that she decides that s
Widhy Pratiwie
Really2 love with this book. . .T.0.P B.G.T Deh. . .
Dr awal bca pertemuan antara dimitri ma katya aj dah bqin penasaran stgh mati, , ,dan trnyta emg bnr2 surprise bgt ma kelanjutan crtnya. . .

kesel jg c ma pangeran dimitri yg ampuuunnn dudulz bgt c. . .gr2 saking selfish ny g mw nerima kenyataan kalo katya tuh bangsawan sejati. . . .

and tmbh kesel jg waktu mrka hrz d pisahkan gr2 salah paham. . .tp after all . . .crtny emg menarik bgt. . .salut ma tokoh cewenya yg brave. . .two thumbs up d
Vina Raintree
reread... ^^

love this book !!

dimulai dari katherine yang menyamar jadi pelayan dengan memakai baju pelayan untuk membuntuti adiknya yang berencana kawin lari. ehh dia malah diculik dan diberi obat perangsang (yang mengakibatkan ia kehilangan virtue nya) serta dibawa ke Rusia oleh Pangeran Alexandrof yang guantengnya gag ketulungan..
Kate yang semenjak ketemu Dimitri pembawaannya beda dari perempuan lain, jadi buat dimitri penasaran.

yah dibaca sendiri dah,. yang penting buku ini emang top!
Jaime Atkins
I love historical romances and this one is over the top. Demetri makes some really bad decisions and you are left to wonder how in the world Katheryn will ever forgive him for what happens to her. At one point, I was reading with my mouth hanging open in "oh my gosh I can't believe this" fashion. I don't know if I could have gotten past it, but Katheryn is not stupid or naive and she gives him a run for his money. Excellant book.....one of Johanna Lindsey's best!!!
Jess
None of you are ever allowed to read this book, but oh my god, is it fantastic. To borrow terminology from SBTB, it is the oldest of Old Skool romances, complete with a forced seduction via aphrodisiac, a kidnapping to Russia, the heroine being forced to work as the hero's sister's maid when she refuses to be his mistress, a second round of the aphrodisiac, a caning, and a secret love child. It is TERRIBLE. It is GREAT.

And really, none of you are ever allowed to read it.
Kelly
This would be a 3.5 for me. It kept me engaged but I seemed to always be waiting for something monumentus to happen with Dimitri and Katherine.

The ending was a seemed a bit jumbled and rushed. I was a tad disappointed in Dimitri's reaction to his child he seemed a bit underwhelmed quick kiss and off with the nanny?!

I wish the h/h were together more. I really hate waiting and waiting also the whole drug thing was just blah for me. I didn't buy it.

Loudice
I'm not following my target reading list and skipping a lot of books to read the ones I want! lol...

While I love the H/h encounters, I can't understand why Katherine didn't exert more effort in getting far away from Dimitri. It was like she just accepted her abduction and wouldn't have left if she didn't overhear the gossip at the party..I totally applauded her anger during early parts of the book, but when they reached Russia, that mellowed down.
  • The Conqueror
  • Devil's Embrace (Devil, #1)
  • Stormfire
  • The Silver Devil
  • Desert Hostage
  • Wicked Loving Lies (Morgan-Challenger, #3)
  • Lady Vixen
  • When Angels Fall
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Enslaved
  • Love, Cherish Me
  • Castles (Crown's Spies #4)
  • Claiming the Courtesan
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Prisoner of My Desire Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)