Start by marking “The Ladies of Garrison Gardens” as Want to Read:
The Ladies of Garrison Gardens

The Ladies of Garrison Gardens (Miss Margarets #2)

Charles Valley’s legendary dowagers, the three Miss Margarets, have lost one of their own: Peggy Garrison, who married into a huge fortune but was constantly overshadowed by the legacy her husband’s first wife, the great Myrtis Garrison. When Peggy’s will is read, the news of who will take over the Garrison fortune shakes the town to its core. To everyone’s shock, Peggy ha ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Ladies of Garrison Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ladies of Garrison Gardens

Stefanieq Banner
Jul 22, 2011 Stefanieq Banner rated it liked it
I loved loved loved the writing, plot and characters of this book; but the ending was abrupt and flat. Are you kidding me?! A couple hundred pages of stellar development, and THAT'S the best ending you could write?
Theresa
Aug 31, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was no where near what I thought it was when I started it, I expected a romance plus a girl with gumption who changed her town. I got a little of that.

The story is actually the story of Iva Claire. Truly, that made it even better in my mind. It was complicated and twisted. Every now that then I would be so shocked I would say "Oh my" out loud.
I felt sorry for her and every bit of what went on in her life. Truly the girl rarely caught a break.

I was disappointed that in the end Laurel do
Donna
Jun 21, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
The Roanoke Times said, "A high level of suspense... Drop by this charming Southern town. No doubt you'll be invited to join the three Miss Margarets on the veranda and sip sweet tea, lemonade, or even Gentleman Jack... and enjoy the promise of a good read." I say, this is my kind of book. A little potential love story could be blooming, enough humor to keep me interested and enough suspense to keep me trying to figure something out the entire way through the book. I loved how everything was all ...more
Theresa
May 19, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
This was an intriguing read. It's book two in a series, but I was able to understand it well without having read the first one. There is a mysterious element involved, as well as a twist on a coming-of-age story. I plan to read the others in the series.

I like fiction that you can enjoy as a story, but also get at least a nugget of truth from. This one reminded me that when we meet someone or hear of actions of someone, that those details are mere slivers of who that person is. Even seeming obvio
Dashell
Nov 26, 2016 Dashell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop reading because I felt like I walked into a movie that was 30 minutes into. I need some back story. Perhaps I will try again some other time.
Carrie
Sep 30, 2016 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, historical
Nice portrait of life in the rural south - loved the characters, but found the resolution of the Miss Peggy storyline to be a bit lacking
Arlene
Apr 26, 2011 Arlene added it
Sadly, in this sequel to The Three Miss Margarets (2003), only two Margarets remain: Miss Peggy Garrison, the youngest of the three dowagers, has succumbed to pancreatic cancer. She surprised everyone (her beneficiary included) by leaving her large estate--including Garrison Garden--to Laurel Selene McReady, who attended her faithfully in her last months and came to be the daughter she never had. Pressured to give her power of attorney to Garrison lawyer Stuart Lawrence, as had Miss Peggy, Laure ...more
Lani
Apr 21, 2009 Lani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Caryl
Shelves: chicklit
Cheesy southern chicklit. Trashy hometown girl becomes a success story despite her embarassing and well-known background. Spunky old ladies feature prominently. Hot doctor love interest. Snooty good ol' boy lawyers trying to keep a girl down.

It was a fun read, the characters are loveable, there's some mystery and some vaudeville history. It was a little frustrating waiting for all the pieces to come together, and it didn't resolve itself quite the way I wanted to. But those are my fault and not
Merikay
Mar 11, 2008 Merikay rated it really liked it
With this sequel, as with "The Three Miss Margarets," I could not stop reading until my eyes crossed because I was so znxious to find out what happened to Laural, Miss Lil Bit, Miss Peggy and Dr. Maggie. The South does honor its eccentrics, thank goodness. This 2nd book in the series was quite a roller coaster ride, with lots of tension and high drama (why else would so many Southern women be called drama queens LOL) and well worth it. I don't know if Ms. Shaffer's 3rd book is also about this sm ...more
Ashley
Apr 24, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok
I read The Three Miss Margret's prior to enjoying this book. The first novel was much better. This book was a lot less suspense and did not tackle a subject matter I felt was interesting. In fact, not sure what the plot of this book was suppose to be. I enjoyed getting to see more of the characters unfold in way of development, but the lack of a strong central story line was disappointing. It was also way to too long. I had to start glancing through pages towards the end. It wasn't a total flop, ...more
Adriana
Dec 11, 2011 Adriana rated it it was amazing
I've read the Ladies of Garrison's gardens first, cause i did not know there was a first book (there weren't any at the bookstore). Does it worth reading the first book now that i've already read the second?

I'll admit it caught my eye because of the cover. I looked at it and tought "it must be on the South" and so it was. Any sugestions about southern book? i'm a portuguese addicted by the Southern states. :)
Sally Myers
Mar 30, 2014 Sally Myers rated it it was amazing
Just pulled this out of the library yesterday because the title looked interesting. Although I don't see how the book jacket has anything to do with the story at all, the story was mesmerizing. Even with 10 other books waiting for me to read, 2 half finished, I couldn't put this one down and read it until I finished it today. I normally don't like books that flip back and forth in history, but this one clicked and was not hard to follow.
Alissa
Apr 27, 2009 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, 2014
This book stands alone even though it is somewhat of a sequel to "the three miss Margaret's" I enjoyed it because of the historical aspect about vaudeville and the suspense of the secrets. The switching of narrators is done well and while Laurel is the main character, Iva Lou is very compelling.
I was captivated by the story and it fairly quickly.
Three words to describe: coming of age, historical and family secrets.
Murghi
Sep 17, 2010 Murghi rated it liked it
Shelves: liked-the-cover
I'm definitely in the Judges Book By Cover club, so the picture of two young summer-clad women in a field of sunflowers was appealing. Of course, there were no sunflowers and nobody fitting their description in this book. Mostly we're talking about three old ladies, two dead ladies, and one young one (named Laurel!) who is there to save the day after lots of struggle and strife. It was an okay time-pass. And nowadays that's good enough for me.
Mary Anne
Jun 20, 2009 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good read with some intrigue, but not real deep.
It took me awhile to get into this book since it is told from several different viewpoints. Once I got into the different characters, I found it to be an intriguing story. It was interesting to see how past events were the impetus for actions taken during the character's lives and by others involved with them. Not all problems are solved, nor are all past mysteries revealed, but it is a good read.
Mary
Apr 04, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book! I liked the style and the way it was written. I did like the characters and could just picture them all, good or bad. The chapters were quite short so I could read and put it down frequently. Although I have read The Three Miss Margarets this could have been read as a stand alone. I see there is a link to the 3rd book towards the end and it seems as though this also could also be read as a stand alone. Hope to get to read it sometime.
Linda Simons
Feb 08, 2013 Linda Simons rated it really liked it
I loved this story. Who hasn't dreamed of inheriting an estate and all the money that goes with it?? The characters were interesting and the plot kept surprising me the more I read. The author telingl the story in several different voices makes for an interesting read. I will recommend this book and I can't wait to go back and read the first book in the series
South Country Library Children's Department
This is a sequel to THE THREE MISS MARGARETS which I read ages ago. I felt like I should have reread it before reading this one because I couldn't remember key points. It was a quick enjoyable read. But I did feel like the narrative got hijacked by Mrs. Rain's memories, even though they were important to understanding a certain character.
Heather
Feb 12, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Wow!!!!!! The second installment of this series did not drawn me in as quickly as the first, but once the story got going I couldn't wait to see how it ended. And boy was I surprised!!!! What an ending. It took me by surprise and left me in an emotional tangle at the end - so much so that I found myself thinking about 'What if....' throughout the rest of the day.

I love these characters!
Michelle
Feb 24, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it
this was a book club selection chosen by someone new to book club who had not idea how to pick a book and just grabbed the first thing she was at target. having not read the first one, the second one was not interesting enough to make you want to. Plenty in the book would have been more interesting if the first book had been read. On a whole very derivative though.
Christina Delaney
May 10, 2013 Christina Delaney rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book and this book series. Nothing too deep but stories that contained a little bit of everything from very special friendships, life's triumphs and disappointments, bravery, sadness, just a good look at surviving life's struggles. I highly recommend! - in fact I've bought several copies of this book so others can read it and all have loved it! F
Pam
Jun 06, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to "The Three Miss Margarets". While that book seemed a little slow to me, this book moves right along. It's fun reading as there's two plot lines that compliment each other beautifully.
Patty
Apr 20, 2014 Patty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the sequel to The Three Margarets. I would have liked it even better if the ending would have contained Laurel royally kicking Stuart's butt and for Tassie getting the satisfaction of avenging her friend's honor. Great read!
Jillian
Jan 09, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing
I actually liked this one better than the Three Miss Margarets. I enjoyed the more in-depth look at the original characters and was completely blown away by the surprise portion of the book, but it was still very believable to me.
Glenda L
Jun 04, 2010 Glenda L rated it it was amazing
This is a book about three generations of women in the South who had to overcome their pasts to finally succeed in a men's world. I loved this book... Even the wealthy have their secrets. Forgivable, or not???
Sara
Aug 17, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
I love stories that give you a glimpse of lifestyles go by, like vaudeville, throw in a good thrilling plot and you have winner... until you leave too many plot holes and a "quick, let's finish this thing" ending.
Xerez Vera
Jun 25, 2012 Xerez Vera rated it liked it
This is the book created to accompany you in a hot afternoon pre-siesta. While this book contains a few "Ooh"'s and "Aah"'s and leaves a lot of questions, it was created to be a light read. It's like a coffee-free beverage to keep you awake for half an hour and then lull you to sleep afterwards.
SallyHP
Jul 25, 2011 SallyHP rated it liked it
I think I'd have had more of a connection to the characters had I read The Three Miss Margarets first. This was a good, quick read. I liked the historical look backs far more than the current day story.
Kerry
Oct 14, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
Follow up to the Three Miss Margarets it was an enjoyable,quick read. Interesting back and forth between past and present, and the way women acted in both settings. I was left hoping she writes a 3rd book about the town/ladies, so I guess that means it was good! K
Amy Obenhaus
Didn't finish this book. I think the combination of the great weather in Houston and the addition of a few new characters that didn't interest me caused me to just turn this book back into the library.
  • Waking Up in Dixie
  • Heartbreak Hotel (Twilight Cove, #3)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Paging the Dead (A Family History Mystery, #01)
  • A Rather Charming Invitation (Penny Nichols, #3)
  • Quite a Year for Plums
  • Cassandra and Jane
  • A Teeny Bit of Trouble (Teeny Templeton Mysteries)
  • The Cotton Queen
  • Casting About
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Dreaming Southern
  • The White Garden: A Novel of Virginia Woolf
  • Relatively Dead (Relatively Dead, #1)
  • Wish
  • The Love Letter
  • Red Rover
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
Louise is a believer in there’s always a second chance. An actress since she was fifteen, she found herself unemployed when she was in her mid-forties. The reason was…well, she was in her mid-forties. Not a good thing if you’re an actress – aging and eating are taboo. Louise has done both. Also, she was pretty clear about the fact that she was never going to have “knee surgery.” That’s what happen ...more
More about Louise Shaffer...

Miss Margarets (2 books)