Start by marking “The Whole Life Adoption Book: Realistic Advice for Building a Healthy Adoptive Family” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Authors Jayne E. Schooler and Thomas C. Atwood share insights into every aspect of adoption. This powerful resource addresses the needs and concerns facing adoptive parents while offering encouragement for the journey ahead.
Published April 7th 2008 by NavPress (first published March 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Life Adoption Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Life Adoption Book

Rachel N
A 3-star resource for adoption in general. It was a good "starter" book as we began our adoption process. I particularly gleaned insights from the chapter on transcultural adoption, a well as a few additional nuggets throughout. However, I find myself wanting more depth. I'm looking forward to reading more books specific to toddler adoption and transcultural adoption.
Bob Bellamy
This a very good introduction to almost all aspects of adoption, from deciding to adopt to issues that may arise with adopted children through their adulthood. It is a great resource that I will keep on the shelf and reference from time to time as my wife and I continue to go through this process!
Sep 22, 2007 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is considering adoption
Another required book on our reading list, but very informative. It has a few good chapters for dealing with things later on in life that I'm sure we'll use as our child grows. It's more of a "text-book" read, so make sure you're in the mood to learn and not be "caught up" in a story.
Elsa
This is a great starter book or maybe a book to pass down to a friend/family member who wants to learn more about adoption. I didn't read anything new or that I had not heard or read before.
Mawdawgie
Healthy book for those who are considering adoption, have adopted and or are friends and family associated to adoptive children.
Monica Garcia
A must for anyone adopting.
Matt Horne
Matt Horne marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Eva Bridges
Eva Bridges is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Emily Newman
Emily Newman marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Elizabeth EJ
Elizabeth EJ marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Laurie Bradley
Laurie Bradley marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Gwen Zimmer
Gwen Zimmer marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Meg Frey
Meg Frey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Delia
Delia is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Joseph Mikucki
Joseph Mikucki marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family
  • Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew
  • Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Saving Audie: A Pit Bull Puppy Gets a Second Chance
  • The Russian Word for Snow: A True Story of Adoption
  • Journey Of The Adopted Self: A Quest For Wholeness
  • Two Little Girls: A Memoir of Adoption
  • Options for the Beginner and Beyond: Unlock the Opportunities and Minimize the Risks (Financial Times (Prentice Hall))
  • A Mother for Choco
  • On Their Own: What Happens to Kids When They Age Out of the Foster Care System
Wounded Children, Healing Homes: How Traumatized Children Impact Adoptive and Foster Families "Mom, Dad . . . I'm Pregnant": When Your Daughter or Son Faces an Unplanned Pregnancy Journeys After Adoption: Understanding Lifelong Issues Contemporary Hopi Pottery Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes: Unmasking the Real You