The Death of Sleep (Planet Pirates, #2)

The Death of Sleep (Planet Pirates #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,813 ratings  ·  29 reviews
THE DISASTER IN SPACE DIDN'T KILL HER - IT JUST STOLE HER LIFE
Paperback
Published April 2nd 1992 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1990)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsOn Basilisk Station by David WeberA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleStarshine by G.S. JennsenGrimspace by Ann Aguirre
Best Sci Fi Books with Female Main Characters
153rd out of 446 books — 584 voters
Rip Van Winkle by Washington IrvingSleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Odyssey by HomerPolitically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner
Zeds 'n' beds
93rd out of 139 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeffrey
Depending upon what way you look at it, this is either the first or the second book in the trilogy. Either way it is well worth the read. This was written back in the day when Anne McCaffrey was fostering new authors, and co-authoring books with them. Ah, the last glory days of Anne McCaffrey before the slide in quality she finally started to have in her writing.

At any rate, this is a great book typical of this era of science fiction writing, and has long been one of my favorites. I actually ow...more
Bradley Kelly
Again, I read this about 20 years ago. I remember being so excited after I read Sassinak that I wanted to read every book by Anne McCaffrey with the same/similar looking covers because I figured they were all part of the same series.

I remember reading this book really out of obligation. I remember the whole waking up after being in chryo freeze way too long, but I don't remember anything really coming out of the main characters adventures. I was disappointed to see that Sassinak wasn't even part...more
Meg
An immensely silly book, in my opinion--I got halfway through it and realized I'd read it before. The main character goes into cold sleep, wakes up, goes back, wakes up--has some mildly interesting implications, but mostly just pedestrian science fiction.
Jun 30, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: 2007-reads
I always rather wondered if McCaffrey & Nye didn't snag this plotline from Aliens. More chick SF, strictly mediocre. Reads like what it is - half of a series.
Becca R.G.
Lousy and with a cliffhanger.
Douglas Cootey
It was an interesting book, with some fascinating premises about space travel and it's impact on family and relationships, but I never liked the main character, Lunzie. The first half of the book was spent searching for family which she ended up despising, then the second half of the book was about mutiny and space pirates where she went back into cold sleep again as a solution. Throwing Lunzie into situations that could only be escaped by sleeping made for a rather dull adventure. In the end, n...more
Foxtower
Dear Anne:
I usually seek out women authors, especially in the male dominated field of science fiction. When I buy a highly reccommended book that's part of a series and then discover the author/publisher has put out a book without an ENDING, sorry Anne, but if you don't respect me enough to write a complete stand alone story I'm never going to buy the next one in the "series", or for that matter, any other books from you!

It's high school english after all. A book is supposed to have a beginning,...more
Brian Schiebout
The Death of Sleep by Anne McCaffrey and Jody Lynn Nye is the second book in the Planet Pirates series set in the Ireta Universe. The main character in this book is Lunzie Mespila medic who is mentioned in each of the previous three books in this universe. This book deals with the backstory which occurs before the events which are detailed in Dinosaur Planet. The story begins as Lunzie takes a job as a doctor on a asteroid mining platform leaving her daughter behind. However the ship has an acci...more
Ryan
Having (mostly) finished that utter piece of trash "Sassinak", I inadvisedly decided to give this book a try, triumph of hope over experience. Surely the change in collaborative author would improve things... No.

This book did not start out promising, with a badly-handled scene change in the form of a maudlin reminiscence that subtly transforms into the actual scene, containing among other things the unappealing neologism "spacefare". In the second chapter, some amateurish mental therapy is infli...more
Serena
I usually don't dislike Anne McCaffrey's books so much, but, oh boy, the story was there, somewhere in the shadows cast between the lines of text. This really could of been a awesome series, the potential was there, waiting to be found; I wish it could have shone through. It didn't, it really, really killed this set of novels for me, that I couldn't like any of them - and I tried too.

I read The Mystery of Ireta: Dinosaur Planet & Dinosaur Planet Survivors and all of The Planet Pirates Omnib...more
Bex Godfrey
Not as good as I remember I much prefer this from the point of view offers in Dinisaur planet. Likeable Lunzie doesn't gain anything from this in depth character study except a deeper reflection of her meeting with sass.
Josh
This book started with an interesting premise, but it all went downhill from there. The woman gets stranded in time several times due to cold sleep malfunction, which is so extremely unlikely that is sticks out as the mere plot point that it is. Secondly, the story fails to deliver audience expectation - that is, does she get reunited with her daughter? At first we see she'll do whatever it takes to find her, then halfway through the book she inexplicably gives up. After that the novel makes no...more
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al added it
Product Description

Like every other citizen of the Federation of Sentient Planets, Lunzie Mespil know the so-called 'planet pirates' were capable of terrible things. But - also like every other citizen of the Federation - she never in her heart of hearts believed that anything would happen to her. When pirates attack the space liner on which she is a passenger, Lunzie does not panic. Keeping her head, she makes it to a lifeboat and decides not to worry. She will spend a month or two in cryogen

Yarrow
boring and episodic. badly written, which really surprised me, as McCaffery is generally a good tale-spinner. not sure what went wrong here, but there are almost no transitions in this book, and it reads like they stitched a handful of not-very-good short stories together to make this novel. at no point does one feel like there might actually be an ultimate destination for the plot; it just meanders along from point to point without connection. a disappointment.
G33z3r
A surprisingly slow-moving prequel to the action story "Sassinak". "The Death of Sleep" tells the story of the background of the character Lunzie who appears at the conclusion of the previously-published "Sassinak" and costars in its sequel, "Generation Warriors". Unfortunately, Lunzie turns out to be more victim than heroine, someone who things keep happening to. "The Death of Sleep" ends its story just before Lunzie meets Sassinak.
Jacinta
This is probably only worth reading as part of the sassinak universe. I suspect I mostly like it because it fits pretty perfectly into the genre "human drama space adventure stories", it's not great literature really.
Theresa
Sassinak has survived longer then she ever thought, because of being lost when she went to sleep to travel the vast distances home. only to find she slept far into a future she knows nothing about. a story of personal connection when life creates problems of sepearation
Rattyfleef
Read this shortly after I read Sassinak, which dear god 16-year-old-me loved. This one was a snorefest with a few bits of interesting meditation/philosophy and being-younger-than-your-granddaughter cryo stuff mixed in. Better than reading dental floss.
Ralph McEwen
A well done tale of interplanetary travel, dangers and espionage. The needs and effects of cold sleep are very intriguing. I like this book enough that I have requested the next in the series from the local library.
Carolyn F.
Will Lunzie ever catch a break?! If it's not one thing, it's another. And whenever she finds a little bit of happiness, the rug gets pulled out from under her. This books ends with a major cliffhanger.
Are
Let's just say I was a little underwhelmed by this book. I liked the Lunzie character but got a little tired of all the bad things that happened to her and on certain thing she gave up on.
Sharon
It's been a while since I last read this book. Honestly, I haven't met an Anne McCaffrey book I didn't love, so this is a 5 still. Very interesting premise. Worth a look.
Amanda
This is one that I would read again. The protagonist is involved in a very unusual situation. Ms. McCaffrey's writing kept me spellbound through the entire story.
Sharon
It was nice to meet up with Lunzie again, after meeting her in "Dinosaur Planet," but this entry in the Planet Pirates series is a bit uneven.
Charlotte
About half way I discovered it was a set up for a series, which was disappointing - as no satisfying ending.
Sheri

Good rollicking fun the twisting about time makes it move along smartly good female character
Ray
This is my go-to science fiction book. Love the plot. Can't wait until we live in this time.
Kenneth Flusche
A fast moving adventure story, good for killing a few hours yet leaves you wanting more
Howard
Sep 27, 2012 Howard added it
3-SFBC, 12-p
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • The People of Pern
  • More Than Honor (Worlds of Honor, #1)
  • The X Factor
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • The Ruins of Isis (Starblaze Editions)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)