Start by marking “A Time to Die (One Last Wish, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Die (One Last Wish, #1)

A Time to Die (One Last Wish #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,467 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Kara Fischer hadn’t ever considered herself lucky. She doesn’t understand why she was born with cystic fibrosis. Each day she faces an uncertain future. But the close-knit bond she develops with Eric and Vince gives her the hope to live one day at a time.
When an anonymous benefactor promises to grant a single wish with no strings attached, Kara can’t help
Published May 1992 by Bantam Books (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Die

Don't Die, My Love by Lurlene McDanielSix Months to Live by Lurlene McDanielSo Much to Live For by Lurlene McDanielA Rose for Melinda by Lurlene McDanielI Want to Live by Lurlene McDaniel
Lurlene McDaniel Novels
19th out of 62 books — 91 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowrySpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Teen Novels of the 90s
34th out of 151 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Ambie
Feb 05, 2009 Ambie rated it it was amazing
A time to die is about a girl that has a lung infection and the name for it is C.F. and what that is, is mucus that builds up in the lungs and therapeutic pounding helps to dislodge the thick mucus in kara lungs and throughout the story it tells more about the girl kara and in one chapter she recives a letter from JWC and this person gives her a special gift and the gift was money a large amount of money and told her to spend it where ever she wanted to spen it on no strings attached and within ...more
April Larsen Camacho
I read this book when I was in 6th grade. I am now in 11th.
I ended up giving this book away to a nickel social and about two years later wondering about it. I had forgot the author and the book name but I wanted to read it soo bad! Now here it is. Amazing, spirit lifting, tear jerking, a great story.
Sophia Chow
A Time to Die 1992, 192pp.
Lurlene McDaniel ISBN: 0553298097

Being a 16 year-old is not easy because you are a currently in High School and a lot of changes in life occur at this time period. But life's even harder when you know that you have a life-threatening disease and can no longer live more than 6 months. Kara has been diagnosed with cystic fibosis, a medical condition that relates to the lungs. She has been notified that she can't live more than a several months more, and it is really s
Brittany Durrant
Nov 01, 2013 Brittany Durrant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-red
“A Time to Die” is about Kara Fisher who was born with cystic Fibrosis and is unable of doing certain activities because of it. She has two people who she cares deeply about and they both try to be there for her as much as possible. One day she finds a letter that contains a check for 100 thousand dollars and the benefice is unknown.

This story is told in mostly Kara’s point of view, but in a few chapters it’s told in Eric’s and Vince’s point of view. Eric is her best friend, and Vince is her cr
Robin Conley
Mar 02, 2014 Robin Conley rated it really liked it
The thing I always enjoy about Lurlene McDaniel's books is that she does a fabulous job of portraying not just the trials and difficulties of someone who has a major illness, but the difficulties the family and loved ones go through as well. She really dives into the heart of the matter in a way that lets you truly understand the difficulties one with a major illness can face (at least, as much as anyone can without experiencing it themselves), and I think that is a valuable thing to be able to ...more
Kimberley
Jul 12, 2011 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
I read these books as a child. Lurlene McDaniel used to be my favorite author as a young girl. I was fascinated with learning about illnesses and the emotions, thoughts and events that follow the diagnosis and treatment. The One Last Wish series, as well as the Dawn Rochelle series were my favorite. The random ones had some hits and misses.
Michele
Dec 02, 2009 Michele rated it liked it
This is the continuation of a book I read and loved in junior high, so please don't judge me for liking the "Dawn Rochelle series" even though I am in my 30's! Even funnier is that the author only writes book dealing with death and terminal illnesses. Way to carve out a niche.
Heather
Jun 30, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
A quick, easy read about a sixteen year old girl struggling with cystic fibrosis. Unashamedly romantic and a 3 hankie read, people who enjoy Nicholas Sparks books will love this novel.
Apr 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 9th-grade
I really liked this book. I ended on page 122. But it was a great story!
QNPoohBear
I read allll of these sappy novels when I was a teen.
Dalesha R
Jul 27, 2016 Dalesha R rated it it was amazing
2nd time reading this book... Sad but good
Emilee
Jan 19, 2016 Emilee added it
It was a good book. I just about Cryer at the end
Megan S
May 17, 2011 Megan S rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because I really enjoyed reading this book. No matter where I was I wanted to read it. We were out of town and supposed to have family time but instead I was reading. The main character is Katie O’Roark and she goes to a camp with her friends in the summer and she finds out that she gets to be a councilor so it’s hard because she still has feelings for him. His names Josh and he just wants to have the best summer ever and so does Katie. I encourage more people to read he ...more
Miranda
Jun 20, 2014 Miranda rated it it was amazing
Great start to a 12 book series! ...more
Emily Hunholz
Sep 25, 2012 Emily Hunholz rated it liked it
I never read Lurlene McDaniel as a kid, but a lot of my friends were pretty obsessed with her. I found this book to be a bit melodramatic, and the dialogue was clunky at times, but I can definitely understand why young adults like McDaniel’s books so much. This one is a tear-jerker (I’m pretty sure they all are). I also thought it was really interesting to learn more about cystic fibrosis. If you’re into sad realistic fiction, I’d say this is the book for you.
BDMS IMC
Oct 10, 2009 BDMS IMC rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-picks-oct-09
8th Grade Top Pick by: Jamika

It was a great book because its about a 16 year old girl who has cystic fibrosis and feel like “why me” and she only has her close friends Vince, who has it too, Flyse, and Eric (he love). While she’s in the hospital, she received a check for a lot of money and when she dies she gives it to her friends for stuff they need. It’s really sad. It makes you not take anything for granted.
J.N.
Dec 26, 2014 J.N. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have liked this better back when I was into paperbacks like this. The main character has cystic fibrosis, and while it was refreshing to see a character from this POV, it was also pretty depressing. The book had a nice sentiment, but really didn't make me feel nearly as sad as I imagined I would be. Probably won't be checking out anymore in the series, as these type of books are no longer my thing.
Heather Sowalla
Jan 15, 2013 Heather Sowalla rated it it was amazing
So good, but left me in tears. Lurlene McDaniels books are so good but always so sad. This one was amazing. I must say I felt the love and hope from her. CF is such a horrible disease, and to have two main characters in the book suffering from it. So sad. A must read if you love her other books though!
Lindsay
Dec 13, 2012 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
This book was really cute with the whole secret love triangle. Vince was by far my favorite character. He was so loving and always put everyone, especially Kara, before himself. Of course, Lurlene kept true to herself and had a sad ending but that's what makes her novels so moving.
Gwynne
This is the first of McDaniel's books that I read as a kid who was morbidly obsessed with morbidity. Marci has probably borrowed this classic tear jerker, and between the two of us, we must have read it at least ten times. Marci=1 Gwynne=9
Tara Dawn (Colourful WordWench)
i can't believe these books are still around! actually i can. they are good. it's been 20 yrs since i read them and still remember them. glad that a new audience gets to enjoy them...the good and the bad the smiles and the tears.
Mary Bronson
Sep 01, 2013 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved the plot and the characters. They were very well written. I was very heartwarming and touching book. I also loved the other "One Last Wish" books. Great series.
Ale
Jun 29, 2008 Ale rated it it was amazing
this is a touching novel. the twins go through a tough time going through one of them being sick. things get emoitional when they unlock a time campsul they put when they were in kindergarden and are now opening it as senoirs.
Judy
this was the first novel i read that was part of the One Last Wish series, i feel bad for Vince, i hope he's ok and doesnt die. i'd hoped that Eric would go to the funeral but i guess he was too heartbroken and sad...
Colleen Rue
Oct 28, 2012 Colleen Rue rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about a young girl with cystic fibrosis.I lost my cousin to cf three years ago.This book also hit close to home.Iam dedicated to making CF mean CURE FOUND!!!Go read this book.You won't be sorry.
Caroline
Aug 08, 2008 Caroline rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Kara has Cystic Fibrosis, and she knows she hasn't got long to live. So when she recieves a check from the One Last Wish foundation, she has the perfect farewell gifts for her friends and parents.
Charissa
Oct 20, 2012 Charissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Charissa by: my old friend Serena
Shelves: bla-bla-bla
The ending was very sad. Someone died (not telling who) and two of Kara, the main character's friends, stop disliking each other. Some parts of the book made me tear up.
Vidarti
this book really gets mi attentionz towardz it..itz really intresting how teh author makez this book so great and also wonderful
Tina
Jul 19, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
I cried my eyes out when I read it, but that still didn't stop me from reading it an additional 5 times. An amazing story.
Kim D
May 13, 2013 Kim D rated it really liked it
I read a bunch of Lurlene McDaniel books when I was younger. They were all tear jearkers but I still liked them!
  • Pride
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • Facing Demons
  • In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)
  • Get a Life (Clearwater Crossing, #1)
  • The Day We Are Born
  • The Wakefield Legacy: The Untold Story (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #2)
  • Falling Up (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Kim, #3)
  • Life Without Friends (Friends, #2)
  • Taking Terri Mueller
  • A Brighter Fear
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Letters - Letters of Life, Love and Learning
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...
More about Lurlene McDaniel...

One Last Wish (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mourning Song (One Last Wish, #2)
  • Mother, Help Me Live (One Last Wish, #3)
  • Someone Dies, Someone Lives (One Last Wish, #4)
  • Sixteen and Dying (One Last Wish, #5)
  • Let Him Live (One Last Wish, #6)
  • The Legacy: Making Wishes Come True (One Last Wish, #7)
  • Please Don't Die (One Last Wish, #8)
  • She Died Too Young (One Last Wish, #9)
  • All the Days of Her Life (One Last Wish, #10)
  • A Season for Goodbye (One Last Wish, #11)