The Floating Girl

The Floating Girl (Rei Shimura #4)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  711 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Half-American, half-Japanese, Rei Shimura is finally beginning to feel like Tokyo is home. Now a writer on art and antiques at the Gaijin Times, a comic-style magazine aimed at affluent young readers, Rei's latest assignment is a piece on the history of comic book art. During a weekend of research and relaxation at her boyfriend Takeo's beachside house, Rei stumbles upon t...more
Published July 3rd 2001 by Avon Books (first published 2000)

Jane
Set in the early 2000s, the series is about Rei Shimura, an antique dealer, who finds herself involving in various mysteries having emigrated to Tokyo. The novel was introduced to me by a friend as dealing with the manga industry in Japan and it piqued my interest. It is told in an outsider narrative, however, and it works in one sense. Being Japanese-American, Rei Shimura will not feel completely fit in with either her Japanese or "American" culture, but I often feel like there is a disdain and...more
Ann
Rei Shimura is an antique dealer living in Japan. She was born and raised in America but is half Japanese. She is hired to write a monthly column for a local newspaper on antiques but is assigned to write an article on local comic book history and collectibles. This search for information gets her involved in murder and intrigue. I'm not sure what I think about this book. I'm not interested in manga or Anime so that part didn't get my interest up. I think part of my problem is that I am unfamili...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

I should have learnt from reading the previous book (about the Japanese art of flower arranging called ikebana) that Massey is capable of turning the least likely themes into decent settings for a mystery. But I still expected to be disappointed in a tale based around the comic art of manga. I wasn't of course, I should really learn to trust Massey to make any aspect of Japanese culture interesting.

Once again there is a decent plot here though I didn't think it was quite as well resolved as in

Toni
Jun 26, 2008 Toni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: stressed students, mom, people interested in japan, women
Shelves: silly-series
I picked this up at a tent sale for a local publishing company. The book was put together weird, so when I read it, I appeared to be reading it upside down and at an angle. Thought it is the fourth in the series, I absolutely loved it. At first I was disgusted, and then amused. Who begins a book with a bikini wax? ...Sujata Massey, that is who, and she almost gets away with it. I don't know why I like these books, but I will be sad to see the series end. Rei Shimura, daughter of all nations, is...more
Laurie
Jul 29, 2011 Laurie added it
The Floating Girl takes the reader to a Manga-obsessed Japan, full of yakuza bosses, and hunky foreign men who dance in clubs for voracious young japanese women. The main character, Rei Shimura, is a Japanese-American antique dealer who is writing for a publication called the Gaijin News, which under new ownership decides to publish an all-manga issue. This sends Rei scrambling to find the elusive amateur artist of a manga with surprisingly good production values. It also brings her into a murde...more
Susan
Two stars for an ending that doesn't really flow from the earlier chapters. Still, a nice little mystery for a day spent recovering for a cold. This series is ok.
Katariina
Apr 08, 2014 Katariina marked it as to-read
Shelves: bookcrossing
Rekisteröin kirjan BookCrossing.com-sivustolla!
Lydia
As usual, Massey has written an engaging and elegant novel. Her main character, Rei Shamura finds herself in a position where her antique business is not producing enough income. So, she turns to writing for the Gaijin Times -- a newspaper style publication that is actually a forum for the owner's advertising business. But what can Rei do when the owner decides to turn the Times into a Manga comic book? This mystery has a certain taste of intrigue, romance and novelty. I can therefore recommend...more
Kendra
4th book in the Rei Shimura series -- and nothing spectacular, just like the first three. What I do always like about these books is that I learn interesting things about Japanese culture. In this book, Rei has a new freelance magazine writing job that leads to research about manga (Japanese comic books) and her unlikely involvement in the death of a manga fan. The author still hasn't learned how to write a smooth story, but for some reason, I keep coming back...
Sari Lynn
Aug 02, 2009 Sari Lynn rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Japanophiles & fans of manga
Shelves: mystery
The fourth in the series of mysteries involving Rei Shimura, a young Japanese American woman living in Japan. This time she gets involved with the world of manga - Japanese comic books - and befriends a couple of male exotic dancers. When one of them is killed, Rei has to find the connections between the worlds, while trying not to become the killer's next target. Like the previous books in the series, this is well written and engaging.
Noora
Takakannen teksti valehtelee hiukan, mutta siitä huolimatta ihan viihdyttävä dekkari, tosin ei ihan aiempien Shimura-kirjojen veroinen. Se, mikä on aiemmissakin kirjoissa ollut hyvää, eli japanilaisen kulttuurin kuvaus ja esiintuominen, on tässäkin yhä tallella, mutta juoni ja loppuratkaisu eivät ole ihan yhtä mukaansatempaavia tällä kertaa.
Mary
Oct 17, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Christiane defilippis, Jane Rader
Recommended to Mary by: Bernye Ayer
Shelves: murder-mystery
Let's send up a cheer for Great Falls Library; I put all of her books on hold in the order that I wanted to read them ( i.e., publication date), but they screwed up and gave me books 4-10 versus 1-3. One word, fabulous. Thank you so much.

Loved this one; stayed up late reading to finish it. Nice light whodunit.

Tocotin
Characters: pretty much caricatures. Setting: bizarre side of Japanese society (fun). Mystery: okay I guess, but I lost interest in it fast. I can't understand why Rei always insists on finding whoever killed a person she didn't care about in the first place. Oh well. Overall: okay I guess, don't remember much now, sorry.
Rose
Jun 03, 2008 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: mystery lovers!
Shelves: fiction
A mystery set in Tokyo... my old hometown :) I now have a better understanding of manga... and I was interested in the main character's insights into relationships. A little far-fetched at times... but a good, rollicking read! I'm keen to read her other mysteries set in Japan.
Janet
Oct 20, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, 2009
I generally enjoy these mysteries set in Japan and featuring Rei Shimura, and did enjoy this one, but not as much as I recall liking the others. It felt as though it was rushed through, without quite enough time questioning the logic of events and editing.
Richard Janzen
Although I'm really getting hooked by this series, I don't think I enjoyed this as much as the next in the series, The Kimono Lover. Getting a peek into the world of manga was interesting. I didn't feel much of a build to a climax in this one.
Sarah Sammis
As I know more about manga and anime than I do about kimono, I found Rei's reluctance to learn about either a hindrance to the overall mystery.

Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
I found this a bit harder to read the previous ones. I guess manga doesn't interest me as much as other Japanese things do. Still a good mystery and I really didn't have a clue who done it this time.
catechism
Slightly better than the previous book in the series, but still... I don't know. I think she got through a third of the book before you even figured out what the mystery was.
I've heard her other books in the series are better. If the content excluded certain "adult" themes, it would be 'tween to teen reading level.
Bernye

Each of Rei's adventure is so much fun. I think Mary likened this series to Janet Evanovich in Japan. That says it all !!
Amy
another entertaining mystery read set in japan. the dialogue is funny because it reads like translated japanese. quirky and fun.
Jenna
I really like this author's insight into Japanese culture, the murder-mystery plot I can take or leave.
Ste2fanie
I really enjoyed this, especially given I'm very into the culture it's about. Fun little mystery :)
Mark
really enjoyed all her books and hope she continues to write
Samira
Well executed, but the series is no longer holding my interest.
Elizabeth D
Elizabeth D marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
  • The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • A Loyal Character Dancer (Inspector Chen Cao #2)
  • The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)
  • Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)
  • The Master of Rain
  • Tattoo Murder Case
  • Disco For The Departed (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #3)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Rashomon Gate (Sugawara Akitada, #2)
Sujata Massey is the author of historical and mystery fiction. She is best known for the Rei Shimura mystery series, ten books which have won the Agatha and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Mary Higgins Clark awards. She is currently writing the eleventh book in the series which she hopes will be published in 2014.

Sujata is also launching a new historical series called Da...more
More about Sujata Massey...
The Salaryman's Wife (Rei Shimura #1) Zen Attitude The Bride's Kimono The Flower Master The Samurai's Daughter