Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)

Secrets (Sweet Valley High #2)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  2,130 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Beautiful and ruthless, Jessica Wakefield is determined to be chosen queen of the fall dance at Sweet Valley High. If she can win the contest, she's sure to win Bruce Patman, the most sought after boy in school.

The only person standing in Jessica's way is Enid Rollins. When Jessica discovers the truth about Enid's past, she knows the crown is within her grasp. She doesn't

Mass Market Paperback, 118 pages
Published December 31st 1983 by Bantam Books (first published 1983)

P. S. I Love You by Barbara ConklinSecrets by Francine PascalLove Match by Janet Quin-HarkinThe Popularity Summer by Rosemary VernonThe Popularity Plan by Rosemary Vernon
Out-of-Print 80's Teen Series
2nd out of 23 books — 50 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingAlien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBaby by J.K. AccinniThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Best Series Books
265th out of 783 books — 685 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
i cannot believe they've re-released and updated these books to fit the times. seriously? do the characters really need cell phones and internet access to make them relatable to today's teen? has Gossip Girl really ruined everything? they better not have messed with the fashion descriptions. I want to know that Liz has her hair feathered and pinned back with two barrettes, that match her polo shirt, which is tucked into her pleated khaki pants.

c'mon!
faeriemyst
Disclaimer: I am not a teenager or preteen, but an adult. Supposedly. Everyone keeps telling me I am but I'm not sure I'm buying what they're selling. Therefore my views are based from that perspective rather than someone in the target age range. I inhaled these suckers when I was young, hale, and hearty, so in an apparent moment of weakness have decided to re-visit one of my favorite old series in a fondly-remembered, tongue-in-cheek, and mostly sarcastic approach. So since I couldn't manage to...more
Jenn
The Main Plot in 50 Words or Less: Jessica wants to be queen of the fall dance so she can win Bruce Patman. She will do anything to win. Anything.

The Second Plot in 20 Words or Less: Jessica finds out a secret about Enid, her competition for the dance. She uses it to win.

Opening Lines: "My very own sister! How could she do such a hideous thing to me?" Jessica Wakefield fumed.

Closing Lines: There was a hint of invitation in his smile, and more than a spark of interest in his sexy blue eyes. Some...more
Meghan
Luckily these books are not getting any less ridiculous!
Brittany
Dec 01, 2010 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sweet Valley fans
How I Came To Read This Book: I salvaged it from a pile my mom was going to donate, wanting to prep for the forthcoming Sweet Valley Confidential!

The Plot: Jessica wants to be named the upcoming fall dance queen, namely so she can attend all events for the rest of the year on the arm of inevitable king Bruce Patman. Her main obstacle is Elizabeth's new BFF, Enid, who happens to be dating the head of the dance committee. When Jessica discovers Enid's deep dark secret past, she decides to use it t...more
PurplyCookie

When Jessica discovers Enid's deep dark secret past, she decides to use it to her advantage, causing rifts all over the place that culminate in a variety of repercussions on the night of the big dance.

One thing that bothers me abou...more
Brittni
Slightly different plot from the first book, but mostly the same. This time, though, Jessica gets jealous and manages to ruin not just Elizabeth's life, but Enid's as well. Of course, at the end, Elizabeth finally realizes (AGAIN) that Jessica's responsible for all of their problems (AGAIN) and concocts a plan to punish Jessica (AGAIN). In the end, everyone's laughing at Jessica's expense (AGAIN) and all is forgiven (AGAIN). Come on, this isn't a spoiler, people. So far these books are being for...more
Tiina
I'll give this book 1.5 starts, the lowest rating I've given on this site. Why? Well:

1) I'm so disappointed that the series I used to love as a child is so terrible, I almost regret re-reading it.
2) Can anyone sympathize with Jessica, honestly? She irritates me so much I just want to scream "I don't care about your stupid boyfriend problems, you are the phoniest and most selfish person alive!" at her face.
3) If Enid was supposed to be a former junkie, just like George, they seemed to have mana...more
Kate
I have a guilty pleasure for these books, partly because I grew up reading them. There's a naive simplicity of high school literature in those days, when being popular meant carrying out nasty, backstabbing plots against their rivals and everyone has their deep dark secret and things always work out in the end. Oh, well, I don't read them for realism. I read them for the same reason people watch cheesy soap operas and stupid movies: lowbrow entertainment that can give you a sense of feeling smar...more
Tara Calaby
Secrets is not one of my favourite Sweet Valley High novels. This is largely to do with the focus on Enid. I've never liked her, and my dislike has only grown over the years. For some reason, I always picture her lines being delivered in a whine. Jessica had much better taste when it came to choosing her close friends!

The other thing that really bothers me about this book is the casual way Enid's friends talk about her clearly abusive relationship with Ronnie. He's insanely jealous to the point...more
Emily
Wow! I can not understand why I liked this book when I was younger. I got so mad while reading this book again.
Jessica is a jerk to her sister and also the definition of a snob. She steals, lies, and cheats in order to get what she wants, no matter what the circumstances may be. In this book, she wants to be the queen at the fall dance and is willing to break up Enid's relationship with her boyfriend to get the crown.
Elizabeth is sweet and kind. A little too kind. Even when Jessica admittedl...more
Rachel Brand
Another one that I didn't read as a teenager. This one didn't have nearly as much drama as the first book, or maybe it was because most of it surrounded Enid and not the Wakefield family that I didn't find it quite so fun. It was also a good 60 or so pages shorter than 'Double Love', which made it shorter than some of the BSC books! I didn't realise the SVH books didn't have a standard page-length.

As usual, this book revolved around Jessica being jealous over the possibility of someone (Enid) g...more
Maria M. Elmvang
Leeann
7-2013 (1st read - well. . .since I was a kid)
LOL! Again, SUPER dated, but cute. I'm addicted to the nostalgia. Burt Reynolds is actually mentioned as a heart-throb, and the band playing the school dance is belting out some great LINDA RONSTADT!!!! lol.

I have to say, there is NO way that I could recommend these to my students. The way women are treated, oh gosh. Enid's boyfriend Roger is a COMPLETE jerk. He is always telling her what to do and how to act. JERK. He finds out she is writing to a b...more
Tiffany
Elizabeth's best friend Enid is worried about secret that will drive her and her boyfriend apart. Jessica finds out about this secret and uses it to clinch a homecoming queen win. Elizabeth is blamed for the breach of trust, rumors run wild, Elizabeth figures it out, and Jessica wins homecoming queen, but instead of dancing with dreamy Bruce Patman, Jessica's king is lovable nerd, Winston. Jessica pouts.
Kayo Nakagaki
1. Penguin readers level 2

2. 5/16 30 minutes 5/20 60 minutes

3. dance, queen, king, twin, accident, letter, angry

4. a Bruce was the only boy for Jessica.
b I think it was so great to love someone a lot.

5. It's story about twin sister, Jessica and Elizabeth. I longed for twins. So this story was so interesting for me.
Akira Hasegawa
Extensive Reading6 Mathew's class

It took about an hour to read.

7 words summary
Jessica-dance-queen-Bruce-king-Elizabeth-unfortune

Discussion Question
1. If you quarrel to your brother, which is first to apolosize?
- I always spolosize to my elder brother because I cannot defeat him.

2. If your loving person became a dance king, what will you do?
- Of course I try becoming a good dancer and being a dance queen.

Jessica is a bad girl, and Elizabeth is a good girl. however they are sister. Jessic...more
Monica
So funny that I used to love these books as a kid! Jessica is just downright AWFUL to her twin sister. She is so conniving and scheming. And Elizabeth just takes it! But, I realize as I read on, that the characters do evolve a little bit. So, this is just the set up, it's worth moving on to the next books.

I like reading that 80s versions because it's fun to see what has changed and what remains the same for teenage girls. (Which I have not been now for over a decade.)

As an adult I'm rereading t...more
Lydia Rose
It was good.

Elizabeth's friend, Enid, has an ugly past, and a penpal. This penpal is a boy from that ugly past, who has turned himself around, and is coming to see her. She can't see him, or be seen with him. If she does, her boy friend with get really, really mad, and he can't find out about her past.

But nothing gets past Jessica, especially a secret letter on the floor from a boy for Enid. Jessica sees this as a perfect way to get what she wants, and she's going to get it. She can hardly wai...more
Kanami Iinuma

*penguin active reading, level 2.
* Time: 10/3= 90 minutes
* 7word summary: twin _ sisters_ friend _ jelous_ dance_ boyfriend _love
* 1.Do you have sisters and are you good relationship?
I have yonger brother and older sister, old day, we often fought, but now
we are good relationship.
* 2.Main character want to be queen of school, if you have a opportunity like this, do you want to be queen or king?
No, because I think queen has many troubles.

I like this book. This book is very interested for me,...more
Melanie
It is obvious that Elizabeth already has extensive brain damage even before the motorcycle accident (or perhaps terminal amnesia) as she has already forgotten what a total sociopath Jessica was in the last book. Now she's ruining Elizabeth's relationship with her best friend and making Elizabeth feel sorry for her at the same time. Maybe it's something in the water. EVERYONE seems to have forgotten that Jessica was behind the vicious rumors in the last book.

Also, do these kids in Sweet Valley no...more
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Just look at the cover. How could you not love this book? How could you not want to be Jessica Wakefield. Like, omigod! The quintessential Beach Boys wet dream! She's telling yummy secrets on a PINK phone while her more responsible and conscientious older by four minutes sister looks on, shocked speechless! The book is even better than the cover. It makes you want to be a conniving little cheerleader with Todd on line one and Bruce on line two and Ken reserving a booth for you at Dairy Burger wi...more
Brooke
I like these books because a)It's about twin sisters which I've always had a sort of fascination with and b) It's somewhat realistic. This book was a nice quick read and of course it had one major dramatic problem throughout the book and the plot for that was nice as well. Jessica however. Wow, Francine Pascal wrote a character that is hated by most readers I think. She was so evil and I can't believe that she even contributes in making her own sisters problems worsen. Seriously, she's a very ha...more
Michelle Waters
Jun 01, 2011 Michelle Waters rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult girls who need an easy book to get into
Shelves: read-as-child
At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to admit to having inhaled these books as a young teenager. But it looks from the review section like I'm in good company. I remember flying through each book and diving into the next one back then. I'd check out a handful of them from the library, read them all and come back for more. This is before I discovered science fiction and mildly upgraded to Robert Asprin's Myth series and all the Star Trek novels I could carry.
Yuna
1.Penguin Readers
level 2
love story

2.50 minutes (June 21)
30 minutes (June 25)

3.twins - different - jealousy - dance contest -secret - letter - queen

4.If your friend misunderstand that you betrayed her, what do you do?
-I talk out with her, and try to dispel her misunderstanding. I don't want to lose my friend.

5.The ending is not happy end, but it is very interesting for me. There are many other stories of this book, so I want to read others.
Rahmath
Sweet valley high was something I enjoyed as a Teenager and now whever i wasn t a casual read when i don't have to think at all i read these books once again. I must say that I loved Sweet Valley twins more than Sweet Valley high in which Jessica was not such a bad person. In these books i wonder how it is possible for people to change within a span of 2 -3 years. Storyline is gripping even though it is not something new. You can read it once for a light reading.
Shizuka Yamauchi
1.Francine Pascal, PENGUIN, Level2
2.80min
3.secret, plan, story, school, understand, dance, competition
4.Do you like dance?-Yes, I do like dancing, especially hula dance.
5. In this book, she wants to be the queen at the competition and is willing to break up Enid's relationship with her boyfriend to be a winner. I think it's not good thing, and Elizabeth is too kind, but I like her.
Tracy
More of the same with Jessica spilling the beans about a big secret about Enid and letting Elizabeth take the fall. The interesting thing about this book is that it is significantly shorter than the first one (110 pages vs close to 200) which you never find nowadays--series seem to have standard numbers of pages per book. Additionally, this book picked up on the very day the other one ended.

Saralyn Marshall
Thankfully george is a hottie.
Erika  Forth
Who can read these first few books and actually like Jessica? I want to beat her with a stick. Honestly, I don't remember Jess being so awful back when I read the series - but now I'm thinking that I read them out of order or skipped the first few books as I don't remember this one either. So I probably had spared myself from the evilness twin in these.
  • Welcome Back, Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #28)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the...more
More about Francine Pascal...
Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1) Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1) Fearless (Fearless, #1) Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later Sam (Fearless, #2)