Start by marking “Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)” as Want to Read:
Secrets (Sweet Valley High, #2)

Secrets (Sweet Valley High #2)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  2,384 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Beautiful and ruthless, Jessica Wakefield is determined to be chosen queen of the fall dance at Sweet Valley High. If she can win the contest, she's sure to win Bruce Patman, the most sought after boy in school.

The only person standing in Jessica's way is Enid Rollins. When Jessica discovers the truth about Enid's past, she knows the crown is within her grasp. She doesn't

Mass Market Paperback, 118 pages
Published December 31st 1983 by Bantam Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets

P. S. I Love You by Barbara ConklinSecrets by Francine PascalThe Popularity Summer by Rosemary VernonThe Summer Jenny Fell in Love by Barbara ConklinLove Match by Janet Quin-Harkin
Out-of-Print 80's Teen Series
2nd out of 24 books — 58 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Best Series Books
333rd out of 873 books — 749 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
i cannot believe they've re-released and updated these books to fit the times. seriously? do the characters really need cell phones and internet access to make them relatable to today's teen? has Gossip Girl really ruined everything? they better not have messed with the fashion descriptions. I want to know that Liz has her hair feathered and pinned back with two barrettes, that match her polo shirt, which is tucked into her pleated khaki pants.

c'mon!
faeriemyst
Disclaimer: I am not a teenager or preteen, but an adult. Supposedly. Everyone keeps telling me I am but I'm not sure I'm buying what they're selling. Therefore my views are based from that perspective rather than someone in the target age range. I inhaled these suckers when I was young, hale, and hearty, so in an apparent moment of weakness have decided to re-visit one of my favorite old series in a fondly-remembered, tongue-in-cheek, and mostly sarcastic approach. So since I couldn't manage to ...more
Jamie
Oh, Jessica, Jessica, Jessica! She really sticks her foot in it this time. as the motto goes, 'What Jessica wants, Jessica gets' simply must come true in this one. Jessica is wants two things right now Bruce Patman and the title of queen for the next school dance. She figures the easiest way to Bruce is to get that title as he is a shoo-in for king. The catch is that Elizabeth's best friend Enid is also a candidate.

What Jessica does in this book to get her way is low and plain cruel to several
Desy Bachti
Lagi-lagi nemu buku murah di pesta buku gramedia. Sbnrnya uda pernah beli buku pertama di pesta buku lalu, eh di pesta buku kali ini nemu lagi lanjutannya seri 2-6.. Yeay, kapan lagi bisa ngumpulin seri dengan harga murah bingitss..
Sejujurnya sih utk ukuran buku terjemahan, buku ini masuk kategori terjemahan yg kurang oke. Saya kurang suka dengan buku-buku yg menerjemahkan kata-kata dari luar ke dalam bahasa indonesia yg tdk baku. Penggunaan kata "nggak" di novel terjemahan itu rasanya nggak ban
Jenn Ingram
The Main Plot in 50 Words or Less: Jessica wants to be queen of the fall dance so she can win Bruce Patman. She will do anything to win. Anything.

The Second Plot in 20 Words or Less: Jessica finds out a secret about Enid, her competition for the dance. She uses it to win.

Opening Lines: "My very own sister! How could she do such a hideous thing to me?" Jessica Wakefield fumed.

Closing Lines: There was a hint of invitation in his smile, and more than a spark of interest in his sexy blue eyes. Some
Meghan
Luckily these books are not getting any less ridiculous!
Brittany
Dec 01, 2010 Brittany rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sweet Valley fans
How I Came To Read This Book: I salvaged it from a pile my mom was going to donate, wanting to prep for the forthcoming Sweet Valley Confidential!

The Plot: Jessica wants to be named the upcoming fall dance queen, namely so she can attend all events for the rest of the year on the arm of inevitable king Bruce Patman. Her main obstacle is Elizabeth's new BFF, Enid, who happens to be dating the head of the dance committee. When Jessica discovers Enid's deep dark secret past, she decides to use it t
PurplyCookie

When Jessica discovers Enid's deep dark secret past, she decides to use it to her advantage, causing rifts all over the place that culminate in a variety of repercussions on the night of the big dance.

One thing that bothers me abou
Brittni
Slightly different plot from the first book, but mostly the same. This time, though, Jessica gets jealous and manages to ruin not just Elizabeth's life, but Enid's as well. Of course, at the end, Elizabeth finally realizes (AGAIN) that Jessica's responsible for all of their problems (AGAIN) and concocts a plan to punish Jessica (AGAIN). In the end, everyone's laughing at Jessica's expense (AGAIN) and all is forgiven (AGAIN). Come on, this isn't a spoiler, people. So far these books are being for ...more
Tiina
I'll give this book 1.5 starts, the lowest rating I've given on this site. Why? Well:

1) I'm so disappointed that the series I used to love as a child is so terrible, I almost regret re-reading it.
2) Can anyone sympathize with Jessica, honestly? She irritates me so much I just want to scream "I don't care about your stupid boyfriend problems, you are the phoniest and most selfish person alive!" at her face.
3) If Enid was supposed to be a former junkie, just like George, they seemed to have mana
Kate
I have a guilty pleasure for these books, partly because I grew up reading them. There's a naive simplicity of high school literature in those days, when being popular meant carrying out nasty, backstabbing plots against their rivals and everyone has their deep dark secret and things always work out in the end. Oh, well, I don't read them for realism. I read them for the same reason people watch cheesy soap operas and stupid movies: lowbrow entertainment that can give you a sense of feeling smar ...more
Tara Calaby
Secrets is not one of my favourite Sweet Valley High novels. This is largely to do with the focus on Enid. I've never liked her, and my dislike has only grown over the years. For some reason, I always picture her lines being delivered in a whine. Jessica had much better taste when it came to choosing her close friends!

The other thing that really bothers me about this book is the casual way Enid's friends talk about her clearly abusive relationship with Ronnie. He's insanely jealous to the point
Emily
Wow! I can not understand why I liked this book when I was younger. I got so mad while reading this book again.
Jessica is a jerk to her sister and also the definition of a snob. She steals, lies, and cheats in order to get what she wants, no matter what the circumstances may be. In this book, she wants to be the queen at the fall dance and is willing to break up Enid's relationship with her boyfriend to get the crown.
Elizabeth is sweet and kind. A little too kind. Even when Jessica admittedl
Rachel Brand
Another one that I didn't read as a teenager. This one didn't have nearly as much drama as the first book, or maybe it was because most of it surrounded Enid and not the Wakefield family that I didn't find it quite so fun. It was also a good 60 or so pages shorter than 'Double Love', which made it shorter than some of the BSC books! I didn't realise the SVH books didn't have a standard page-length.

As usual, this book revolved around Jessica being jealous over the possibility of someone (Enid) g
Maria M. Elmvang
Takuma Kusagawa
1.Penguin,Level2

2.10/29=60minutes

3.dance,queen,love,difficult,friend,win,boyfriend

4."Jessica was in love with Bruce but he never smiled at her or spoke to her. He was good-looking and rich and he was only boy for her. But he did't want Jessica.
I felt sorry for Jessica because Bruce refused to deal with her.

5.I think this story is famous in the world. This story was interesting for me because in Japan, dance party is seldom held in high school.
Ara Galang
Francine Pascal is my favorite author. Simply because she writes books with compassion. I love to read her books because they emphasize a certain value. Secrets, the second book of Sweet Valley High, appealed to my senses. It truly gave me the satisfaction I am looking for. It met my expectations.

ENID ROLLINS.....RONNIE EDWARDS.....JESSICA WAKEFIELD.......GEORGE WARREN.......BRUCE PATMAN......ELIZABETH WAKEFIELD........

TRULY MADE MY DAY!!!
Leeann
7-2013 (1st read - well. . .since I was a kid)
LOL! Again, SUPER dated, but cute. I'm addicted to the nostalgia. Burt Reynolds is actually mentioned as a heart-throb, and the band playing the school dance is belting out some great LINDA RONSTADT!!!! lol.

I have to say, there is NO way that I could recommend these to my students. The way women are treated, oh gosh. Enid's boyfriend Roger is a COMPLETE jerk. He is always telling her what to do and how to act. JERK. He finds out she is writing to a b
Tiffany
Elizabeth's best friend Enid is worried about secret that will drive her and her boyfriend apart. Jessica finds out about this secret and uses it to clinch a homecoming queen win. Elizabeth is blamed for the breach of trust, rumors run wild, Elizabeth figures it out, and Jessica wins homecoming queen, but instead of dancing with dreamy Bruce Patman, Jessica's king is lovable nerd, Winston. Jessica pouts.
Kayo Nakagaki
1. Penguin readers level 2

2. 5/16 30 minutes 5/20 60 minutes

3. dance, queen, king, twin, accident, letter, angry

4. a Bruce was the only boy for Jessica.
b I think it was so great to love someone a lot.

5. It's story about twin sister, Jessica and Elizabeth. I longed for twins. So this story was so interesting for me.
Connie
In this book, Elizabeth Wakefield uncovers her best friend Enid's dark past and the fact that if her current boyfriend Ronnie finds out, it could end their relationship and Enid's good girl personality. Enid swears her to secrecy but when spiteful Jessica uncovers this secret, she uses it against Enid so she can hopefully emerge as Prom Queen with the beautiful Bruce Patman as her date.

These books are so easy to read, they are quick and breezy and as I loved them as a child, they bring back so
Akira Hasegawa
Extensive Reading6 Mathew's class

It took about an hour to read.

words summary
Jessica-dance-queen-Bruce-king-Elizabeth-unfortune

Discussion Question
1. If you quarrel to your brother, which is first to apolosize?
- I always spolosize to my elder brother because I cannot defeat him.

2. If your loving person became a dance king, what will you do?
- Of course I try becoming a good dancer and being a dance queen.

Jessica is a bad girl, and Elizabeth is a good girl. however they are sister. Jessica
Monica
So funny that I used to love these books as a kid! Jessica is just downright AWFUL to her twin sister. She is so conniving and scheming. And Elizabeth just takes it! But, I realize as I read on, that the characters do evolve a little bit. So, this is just the set up, it's worth moving on to the next books.

I like reading that 80s versions because it's fun to see what has changed and what remains the same for teenage girls. (Which I have not been now for over a decade.)

As an adult I'm rereading t
Mya
I enjoyed this one more than the first, I think simply cause I was prepared for whatever Nastiness Jessica was going to pull. I like George which is nice as so far all the guys seem like milk toast to me :)
Cate Marsden
Jessica still sociopathic; Elizabeth still a saintly doormat; Enid used to be a pillhead at fourteen. The single most annoying thing is how poor goofily-gallant Winston Egbert is used as a punishment for Jessica.
Kate
I think this book was good, but not really my kind of book. It was a romance story that wasn't really what I would prefer. It was a good story line and I did enjoy it.
Caitlin Sampsell
Yet another story of Jessica being evil to people to benefit herself and Elizabeth finding a tricky way to get back at her. Does anyone identify with and root for Jessica???
Lydia Rose
It was good.

Elizabeth's friend, Enid, has an ugly past, and a penpal. This penpal is a boy from that ugly past, who has turned himself around, and is coming to see her. She can't see him, or be seen with him. If she does, her boy friend with get really, really mad, and he can't find out about her past.

But nothing gets past Jessica, especially a secret letter on the floor from a boy for Enid. Jessica sees this as a perfect way to get what she wants, and she's going to get it. She can hardly wai
Kanami Iinuma

*penguin active reading, level 2.
* Time: 10/3= 90 minutes
* 7word summary: twin _ sisters_ friend _ jelous_ dance_ boyfriend _love
* 1.Do you have sisters and are you good relationship?
I have yonger brother and older sister, old day, we often fought, but now
we are good relationship.
* 2.Main character want to be queen of school, if you have a opportunity like this, do you want to be queen or king?
No, because I think queen has many troubles.

I like this book. This book is very interested for me,
Elizabeth Lasso
segunda parte de novelilla para niñas, sin comentarios, comprendanme solo tenia unos 12 años
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the ...more
More about Francine Pascal...

Sweet Valley High (1 - 10 of 159 books)
  • Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Valley High, #3)
  • Sweet Valley High: Three Novels
  • Power Play (Sweet Valley High, #4)
  • All Night Long (Sweet Valley High, #5)
  • Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High, #6)
  • Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High, #7)
  • Sweet Valley High Collection: All Night Long, Dangerous Love, Dear Sister (Sweet Valley High #5, #6, #7)
  • Heart Breaker (Sweet Valley High, #8)
  • Racing Hearts (Sweet Valley High, #9)
Best Friends (Sweet Valley Twins, #1) Double Love (Sweet Valley High, #1) Fearless (Fearless, #1) Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later Sam (Fearless, #2)

“His eyes narrowed with scorn. “I know a lot of things about you I didn’t know before, Enid. I know, for instance, that you’re not as pure as you’d like me to believe.” 0 likes
“Dana was lead singer for The Droids, Sweet Valley High’s answer to the Rolling Stones. They had a reputation for being pretty wild, but most of it was just conjecture. Not many outsiders knew what went on in the smoky confines of Max Dellon’s basement, where they held their practice sessions.” 0 likes