Spires of Stone

Spires of Stone

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Bethany Hansen Wasn't sure when or if she would ever see Benjamin Adams again. She also told herself that it didn't matter. But when Ben and his two brothers come home after more than two years of serving a mission to the eastern states, her feelings of heartache and anger also return--fiercer than ever. And so do Ben's feelings for her.
Good-naturedly, Ben's brothers attem...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Spires of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spires of Stone

Emily S.
I wasn't planning on liking this book, I'll be honest. I don't usually (okay, EVER) read books in the LDS genre because I usually find them sappy and poorly written. But this one engaged me from the beginning and I admit to liking it a lot. This is one LDS author that I think I will read more of!
Marshall
A romance set in historical times, and feed the fuel for mixed emotions all the way to the end. You end up loving every minute.
Heather
Spires of Stone is the third book in Annette Lyon's "temple series". Ironically, this book takes place chronologically before her other temple books. Fans of House on the Hill and At the Journey's End will love the cameo appearance of Abe Franklin--as a young boy.

In the author notes, Lyon mentions that the plot is loosely based on the Shakespeare play, Much Ado About Nothing. So I went to her website to see if she expounded on it. And of course she did. It doesn't follow the play precisely, but...more
LuAnn
Annette Lyon has made quite a name for herself in the publishing world in the years since she released her first book. The winner of the 2007 Best in State Medal for Fiction, Lyon has brought readers not only well-written LDS romance, but also introduced them to a little state history through her temple series. The latest installment. Spires of Stone, is set in Salt Lake City, in the late 1860s.

Research plays an important part in a novel such as this, and Lyon says, “I've been fortunate to find...more
Jeanette
I do not read a lot of LDS fiction. One reason being that it is difficult to find LDS themed books in my neck of the woods. I'd have to buy them, which leads to the second reason I don't read a lot of LDS fiction. I don't want to spend money on a book I am not likely to enjoy, which has been my experience with most of the LDS fiction I have read.
So why did I decide to read Spires of Stone by Annette Lyon? Because, like Shannon Hales books I have been reading a lot about this book on other people...more
Andrea
I've read several reviews and comments about how Spires of Stone is a (somewhat) modern re-telling of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Sadly, other than the title, I'm not all that familiar with the play. Too bad, because I've liked a lot of re-tellings that I've read. They add an extra bit of fun to a new novel.

This third book in Annette Lyon's Temple Series was an enjoyable read. It didn't seem to have as many historical tidbits as the previous book in the series, but focused more on a fe...more
Dorry Lou
This was a historical somewhat romance story. There were 3 Adams brothers and 2 Hansen sisters. It all involved around their lives. The 3 brothers finished up serving a mission in the Eastern States. Claude one of the brothers left baggage behind and came home to woo one of the sisters that another brother liked very much. They did some work hauling stones down for the S.L. Temple after coming home from their missions. There was enough action and learning the power of forgiveness to hold your at...more
Heidi Pack
This book kept my attention the entire time, not common for Annette Lyon. I am not into her style of writing, I guess, but this book proved otherwise. Maybe because it tells two stories at the same time. It was a good, interesting read that I may repeat in the future.
Jen Scott
I really enjoyed this romance novel taking place in 1867 with the construction of the Salt Lake temple as a backdrop and then again later in 1892 at the temple's capstone ceremony. I had a hard time putting the book down because I found myself getting wrapped up in the characters and the spirit of their relationships wondering if Claude or Phillip would end up with Hannah and whether Ben and Bethany could put their differences aside. It was an entertaining book with many twists and turns that he...more
Laura Lyon
I loved reading this book! This book is a great example of what happens when we jump to conclusions, and we don't let the person, that we think has betrayed our trust, explain what has truly happened.

It also makes me want to look into our family history, since I married into the "Lyon" family. I am curious if the Lyons mentioned in this book are related to my husband!
Heather
The contemporary dialog keeps pulling me out of the historical time period the story is suppost to be in.

One of the couples , Bethany & Benjamin, are very much like Beatrice and Bernard from Much Ado About Nothing. They even use some of the Shakespeare lines.
As the story goes on, I can see that it is a re-telling of Much Ado About Nothing.
Christine
A pleasant little love story set in the late 1800's of Salt Lake City. It was loosely based on Shakespeares "Much Ado About Nothing". I really enjoyed it, it was a fun read. I think I might even read more from Annette Lyon, she is coming to our Book Club this month, and I'm looking forward to meeting her.
Amanda
A very good book and it was interesting learning a little more about the construction of the SL temple. I'm not sure that the person that did the cover read the book... the girls in my imagination look nothing like that!
Karen
I just started this book today. My Mom gave it to me last Christmas,(2007). I found a letter Mogie had written to me that Christmas, it was fun to read it again. So more than a year later I am starting it.
Andrea
This was a spin off one of my favorite Shakespeare plays Much Ado About Nothing. It was just different enough that I'm not certain who took on the character of the prince Don Pedro. I just have a guess.
Vicki
Jun 29, 2009 Vicki is currently reading it
I am currently reading this book. It is very good and I am enjoying it. I am waiting for the new book by Laurie C. Lewis to come out!! When Laurie??? :-)
Jodie
This was a cute story. I loved that it was not the typical romance. I also enjoyed it because it is more true to how relationships really are.
Heather
This book is well written and rather witty. I enjoyed the storyline and loved learning more about the building of the Salt Lake Temple.
Angela
It took awhile to figure out who the characters were. It wasn't my favorite, but kept me interested enough to finish it.
Gwyn
Oct 31, 2010 Gwyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who wouldl like a clean romance novel
Shelves: church-fiction
This was an okay book. Was a Christmas gift. Very love sappy and took for ever to have the story end. Very predictable.
Angela Hunter
I enjoyed this book. I loved the conflict that arose around a picture halfway through the book. It was fun seeing Abe too.
Heidee
Aug 22, 2009 Heidee added it
This book is my all time favorite of Annette Lyon's. I read it in just under an hour and a half. I loved this book!
I love the story Much Ado About Nothing. This was a good take on that story. I think I'm off to watch the movie now!
Diane
I really liked this book. It kept you reading to find out what happens next. It is a romance book.
Melissa
Very interesting to learn about the temples in these LDS books. They are fairly well written.
Wendy
was a fun read...parts were predictable but there were also some elements that kept you guessing.
Rylee
Dec 18, 2008 Rylee is currently reading it
I just started this book so it is still kinnda boring but im sure it will get better.
Catherine
Enjoyable retelling of Much Ado About Nothing, set in the Salt Lake Valley 150 years ago.
Nathan
Actually about 4.5 :) Good lessons on forgiveness and pride. Really liked the epiologe.
Somewhat of a slow start. I did love the characters and the storyline though.
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Of Goodly Parents (Out of Jerusalem, #1)
  • Sheep's Clothing
  • No Time for Love
  • Counting Stars
  • Eyes Like Mine
  • Breaking Point
  • Royal Target (Royal, #1)
  • Tribunal (Traitor, 2)
  • An Enduring Love
  • In Search of Heaven (Barrington Family Saga, #1)
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • Fool Me Twice
Annette Lyon is a Whitney Award winner, the recipient of Utah’s Best in State medal for fiction and the author of ten novels, a cookbook, and a grammar guide as well as over a hundred magazine articles. She’s part of the Timeless Romance Anthologies line of sweet romance stories, a senior editor at Precision Editing Group, and a cum laude graduate from BYU with a degree in English. When she’s not...more
More about Annette Lyon...
Band of Sisters  (Band Of Sisters, #1) Paige (The Newport Ladies Book Club) House on the Hill At the Journey's End Tower of Strength