Start by marking “Spires of Stone” as Want to Read:
Spires of Stone

Spires of Stone

Bethany Hansen Wasn't sure when or if she would ever see Benjamin Adams again. She also told herself that it didn't matter. But when Ben and his two brothers come home after more than two years of serving a mission to the eastern states, her feelings of heartache and anger also return--fiercer than ever. And so do Ben's feelings for her.
Good-naturedly, Ben's brothers attem
Published January 1st 2007 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Spires of Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spires of Stone

Emily S.
I wasn't planning on liking this book, I'll be honest. I don't usually (okay, EVER) read books in the LDS genre because I usually find them sappy and poorly written. But this one engaged me from the beginning and I admit to liking it a lot. This is one LDS author that I think I will read more of!
Marshall
Aug 12, 2008 Marshall rated it it was amazing
A romance set in historical times, and feed the fuel for mixed emotions all the way to the end. You end up loving every minute.
LuAnn
Sep 13, 2008 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
Annette Lyon has made quite a name for herself in the publishing world in the years since she released her first book. The winner of the 2007 Best in State Medal for Fiction, Lyon has brought readers not only well-written LDS romance, but also introduced them to a little state history through her temple series. The latest installment. Spires of Stone, is set in Salt Lake City, in the late 1860s.

Research plays an important part in a novel such as this, and Lyon says, “I've been fortunate to find
Julie
Mar 04, 2017 Julie rated it liked it
This was an interesting story set against the backdrop of the construction of the Salt Lake Temple. Considering the title of the book, I might have been expecting more about the temple, but the amount that was there was just right. It has a simple plot, compelling characters, and a good message. Disclaimer: I listened to the audiobook and didn't like the narrator, so that probably influenced my impression of the book.
Jeanette
Mar 04, 2008 Jeanette rated it liked it
I do not read a lot of LDS fiction. One reason being that it is difficult to find LDS themed books in my neck of the woods. I'd have to buy them, which leads to the second reason I don't read a lot of LDS fiction. I don't want to spend money on a book I am not likely to enjoy, which has been my experience with most of the LDS fiction I have read.
So why did I decide to read Spires of Stone by Annette Lyon? Because, like Shannon Hales books I have been reading a lot about this book on other people
Heather
Oct 04, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Spires of Stone is the third book in Annette Lyon's "temple series". Ironically, this book takes place chronologically before her other temple books. Fans of House on the Hill and At the Journey's End will love the cameo appearance of Abe Franklin--as a young boy.

In the author notes, Lyon mentions that the plot is loosely based on the Shakespeare play, Much Ado About Nothing. So I went to her website to see if she expounded on it. And of course she did. It doesn't follow the play precisely, but
Linnae
Jun 30, 2015 Linnae rated it really liked it
Bethany and Ben: they used to be in love, but are now in hate. They can't even pass by each other without exchanging verbal blows. Unfortunately, he's just come back from his mission to the Eastern states, so now they'll be seeing a lot more of each other.

Meanwhile, his two younger brothers (also newly returned from missions) are vying for the affection of Bethany's little sister Hannah.

There was a lot that I liked about this one. The sibling relationships were especially well done. The hard tr
Andrea
Jul 11, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
I've read several reviews and comments about how Spires of Stone is a (somewhat) modern re-telling of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing. Sadly, other than the title, I'm not all that familiar with the play. Too bad, because I've liked a lot of re-tellings that I've read. They add an extra bit of fun to a new novel.

This third book in Annette Lyon's Temple Series was an enjoyable read. It didn't seem to have as many historical tidbits as the previous book in the series, but focused more on a fe
Jeni
Apr 07, 2009 Jeni rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this romance novel taking place in 1867 with the construction of the Salt Lake temple as a backdrop and then again later in 1892 at the temple's capstone ceremony. I had a hard time putting the book down because I found myself getting wrapped up in the characters and the spirit of their relationships wondering if Claude or Phillip would end up with Hannah and whether Ben and Bethany could put their differences aside. It was an entertaining book with many twists and turns that he ...more
Dorry Lou
Jan 31, 2014 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
This was a historical somewhat romance story. There were 3 Adams brothers and 2 Hansen sisters. It all involved around their lives. The 3 brothers finished up serving a mission in the Eastern States. Claude one of the brothers left baggage behind and came home to woo one of the sisters that another brother liked very much. They did some work hauling stones down for the S.L. Temple after coming home from their missions. There was enough action and learning the power of forgiveness to hold your at ...more
Christine
Dec 28, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
A pleasant little love story set in the late 1800's of Salt Lake City. It was loosely based on Shakespeares "Much Ado About Nothing". I really enjoyed it, it was a fun read. I think I might even read more from Annette Lyon, she is coming to our Book Club this month, and I'm looking forward to meeting her.
Laura Lyon
Feb 01, 2011 Laura Lyon rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book! This book is a great example of what happens when we jump to conclusions, and we don't let the person, that we think has betrayed our trust, explain what has truly happened.

It also makes me want to look into our family history, since I married into the "Lyon" family. I am curious if the Lyons mentioned in this book are related to my husband!
Heather
Sep 20, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-author
The contemporary dialog keeps pulling me out of the historical time period the story is suppost to be in.

One of the couples , Bethany & Benjamin, are very much like Beatrice and Bernard from Much Ado About Nothing. They even use some of the Shakespeare lines.
As the story goes on, I can see that it is a re-telling of Much Ado About Nothing.
Karen
Jan 26, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
I just started this book today. My Mom gave it to me last Christmas,(2007). I found a letter Mogie had written to me that Christmas, it was fun to read it again. So more than a year later I am starting it.
Andrea
Apr 05, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
This was a spin off one of my favorite Shakespeare plays Much Ado About Nothing. It was just different enough that I'm not certain who took on the character of the prince Don Pedro. I just have a guess.
Heidi Pack
Feb 17, 2014 Heidi Pack rated it really liked it
Shelves: mios
This book kept my attention the entire time, not common for Annette Lyon. I am not into her style of writing, I guess, but this book proved otherwise. Maybe because it tells two stories at the same time. It was a good, interesting read that I may repeat in the future.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
A very good book and it was interesting learning a little more about the construction of the SL temple. I'm not sure that the person that did the cover read the book... the girls in my imagination look nothing like that!
Dec 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I received this book as a gift. I thought it was a nice story, but it didn't wow me.
Katie
May 17, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
This book was a chick flick set when they were building the Salt Lake Temple.
Nathan
Feb 25, 2013 Nathan rated it really liked it
Actually about 4.5 :) Good lessons on forgiveness and pride. Really liked the epiologe.
Jan 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I love the story Much Ado About Nothing. This was a good take on that story. I think I'm off to watch the movie now!
Joanna Humpherys
Jul 03, 2008 Joanna Humpherys rated it really liked it
I really liked this one
Rylee
Dec 18, 2008 Rylee is currently reading it
I just started this book so it is still kinnda boring but im sure it will get better.
Bedie
Jan 21, 2010 Bedie rated it liked it
Easy reading. Story was good, I loved the ending.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Very interesting to learn about the temples in these LDS books. They are fairly well written.
Angela Hunter
Apr 22, 2013 Angela Hunter rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I loved the conflict that arose around a picture halfway through the book. It was fun seeing Abe too.
Gwyn
Apr 06, 2010 Gwyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who wouldl like a clean romance novel
Shelves: church-fiction
This was an okay book. Was a Christmas gift. Very love sappy and took for ever to have the story end. Very predictable.
Jodie
Jul 07, 2011 Jodie rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
This was a cute story. I loved that it was not the typical romance. I also enjoyed it because it is more true to how relationships really are.
Mo
Aug 24, 2010 Mo rated it liked it
Good stories for teenage girls.
Angela
Sep 28, 2009 Angela rated it liked it
It took awhile to figure out who the characters were. It wasn't my favorite, but kept me interested enough to finish it.
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • Abinadi (Book of Mormon, #1)
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Methods of Madness
  • Upon the Mountains
  • Breaking Point
  • Tribunal (Traitor, 2)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Royal Target (Royal, #1)
  • The Independence Club
  • In Search of Heaven (Barrington Family Saga, #1)
Annette Lyon is a USA Today bestselling author, a 4-time recipient of Utah’s Best in State medal for fiction (twice for novel-length works and twice for short fiction), and a Whitney Award winner for BAND OF SISTERS. She's the author of over a dozen novels, at least that many novellas, a cookbook, a popular grammar guide, and over a hundred magazine articles.

She’s a founder and regular contributo
More about Annette Lyon...