Start by marking “The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)

The Saboteurs (Men at War #5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
W.E.B. Griffin continues his gripping Men at War series, featuring the legendary OSS.

As the Battle of the Atlantic rages, German U-boats are sinking U.S. vessels at will. Meanwhile, preparations are being made to invade Sicily and Italy. As the war heats up, "Wild Bill" Donovan and his secret agents find themselves battling on two fronts at once. And fate is about to dea
Published May 29th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published June 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Saboteurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saboteurs

Tom
Mar 13, 2017 Tom rated it did not like it
Yawn! The slowest and most turgid Griffin I've read. Double Yawn!
Keith
Jan 29, 2015 Keith rated it it was ok
This is the first book in the series I've been disappointed in. Perhaps it was the long interval between when the previous book and this one were written. Perhaps it was the work of the co-author. I don't know, but this one left me a little unsatisfied. I didn't care for all the New York mob intrigue - much of it seemed pointless. I also didn't like how the four German saboteurs were stopped, not by any efforts of our intrepid heroes, but by their own dumb bad luck. A badly timed fuse and boom, ...more
John
Dec 10, 2015 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-fiction
I've read everything Griffin has written, and this is his weakest work to date. Richards Canady's exploits in Sicily were interesting enough, although I know of no history where Nazi Germany sent chemical weapons to the Mediterranean theater And, of course, trying to swallow the idiotic notion that any sane intelligence agency would send their number three man from London Station into action as a field agent while in possession of the inner working of the OSS, including many of it's on-going ope ...more
Michael
W.E.B.Griffin is one of my favorite military history novelists. In this work, he's accompanied by William E. Butterworth IV.

Much of Griffin's best work is behind him but I did find this book enjoyable.

Germany has placed two two-men teams in America to disrupt American life. They plant explosives in railroad stations, blow up electrical power stations and are able to select other targets.

The OSS is still a young organization under Wild Bill Donovan. They are fresh off the success of rescuing an i
Peter
Let me start by saying that upon examining the copyright found in the book, the copyright was entirely attributed to the younger Butterworth, not the same man who wrote the first four novels of this series, I believe in the 1980s.

That said, this book was one of the worst examples of literary coherency I've ever read for any reason except taking a class. The villains are incompetent to the point of almost nonexistent, while the heroes are inept and ineffective at anything but providing a camera f
Ann
Oct 15, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok
I read quite of few of Griffin's books. He is a great storyteller. I haven't read them in order, but I usually recognize characters that I had known before. This one is co-authored with his son and I wonder if the younger "Griffin" is responsible for the rather larger dose of sleazy male humor. I guess the majority of readers are men, but not all...

In the end, not a particularly good novel. Too much going on at the same time. I'm tired of the endless descriptions of hair color and build. The go
Will
Jun 12, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Using the Mafia to Counter the Nazis. The OSS sends Canidy and Fulmar into the frey to set up rebel coastwatcher cells in Sicily and to feret out Nazi infiltrators who are reeking terror across eastern America. From one risk mission to another, Canidy finds Ann Chambers in London for a hot breathing break before heading out for his next Donovan assignment and Ann's flat being leveled in bombing. Fulmar is sent to find the Nazis detonating C4 across the east US even though Hoover's FBI is respons ...more
Nick
Nov 17, 2009 Nick rated it did not like it
Joe
Aug 23, 2008 Joe rated it liked it
This book was entertaining, in the same manner that most all of his other books are. It was not better or worse than any of the others. The ending was pretty abrupt, almost like he just wanted to continue the story in the next novel of the series. That being said, this book will probably not stand well on it's own if you are looking for one particular book by this author to read. You definitely need to read the books in the series that come before it and then continue when the next iteration is ...more
Keith
Mar 03, 2010 Keith rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed Griffin's books for many years, unfortunately, this one was disappointing to say the least. This series started strongly, with good characters, interesting situations, and Griffin's gift for describing the inner workings and minutiae of military life and politics.

This book was too slow for me, didn't really do anything and left me wanting more. The first three books in this series were especially good, Book 4 was a little less so and this edition was worst to date.
Elizabeth Lucas
Jan 24, 2012 Elizabeth Lucas rated it it was ok
Liked his series set in South America during WWII and also the first one in this series, but this one had too much foul language and not enough good plot. I didn't even finish it. However, it did make me interesed in reading more about the real German sabotuers that were in America during the war.
Jeremy Doran
Feb 28, 2008 Jeremy Doran rated it did not like it
Awful.The writing was a little distracting but the story line kept me interested anyway. The ending was terrible. There were 3 story lines, 1 ended in total limbo, 1 ended that total luck solved the problem and they never had to, and the third ended as if the author planned on writing 100 more pages but he ran out of time so he just ended it.
I don't recommend.
Jul 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it did not like it
i've never really read any of web griffin's books. after this one, i don't think i'm going to read any more of his books. overlong, overly descriptive of nothings, and it seemed like he had too many plots that were resolved by sheer stupidity or happenstance. complete anticlimax, no feeling of resolution. very poorly written and poorly conceived. not at all recommended.
Fredrick Danysh
Apr 09, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
The Saboteurs is an action packed novel of the OSS. While German submarines are sinking ships in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, "accidents" are happening in factories and on trains in the USA. An OSS team gets on the case.
Angelina
Feb 15, 2011 Angelina rated it did not like it
Discriptions of events were not relevent to the story. It was very random as if looking at 4 different clips and a couple that just ened and went no where. I really gained very little feeling for the characters. I had little desire to finish the book to see how it ended. Very slow moving.
Meakin
May 07, 2014 Meakin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
This book is not one of griffins best. A convoluted plot. And no real character building. The ending is simplistic. If this is the first book of his you read you probably wouldn't read more. The only saving grace is I loved his other books.
Kim
Bill Donovan & his OSS gang is back after a long break. This time they are dealing with Saboteurs and the mob at home and abroad. WEB Griffin blends history & fiction like a master.
Pas111222
I love W.E.B Griffin's books. However, don't enjoy installments, such as this one, that he co-authors with Wm. E. Butterworth, IV.
Joe Holman
Sep 06, 2012 Joe Holman rated it really liked it
Definitely a compelling story that makes it hard to put down and, at the end, desiring to read the next in the series.
Mike
colleen
read 07.05.06
Joan Karter
Jul 22, 2014 Joan Karter rated it liked it
I enjoyed it. Just not as much as the first 4 in this series. I'll give the next one a shot. Funny, after book 4 I couldn't wait to read this one.....don't feel the same way about the next one.
KarenC
Nov 20, 2010 KarenC rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: series; OSS interest
Amusing plots that get the OSS hooked up with organized crime figures. The saboteurs are handled with way too much coincidence. Lightweight "guylit" that will keep you occupied for a while.
Bill
Nov 18, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
Debbie
Jun 17, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debbie by: Nick Drew
Excellent walking book!! Enjoyed the story and the characters! Interesting twist with American mobsters helping defeat the Nazis during WWII
Rob & Liz
Dec 26, 2007 Rob & Liz rated it really liked it
excellent read on undercover 'OSS' operations during WWII showing how each area sometimes operated arouind each other.
r
Bubb
Oct 20, 2009 Bubb rated it it was ok
Susan
Oct 13, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok

Griffin writes great stuff, tracking military history. But his more recent ones are it up to the quality of his first few series.
Joy Shaiebly
Jul 25, 2011 Joy Shaiebly rated it liked it
Different than Patterson and Grisham, yet just as involved and well-written.
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • Island Madness
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • Bombs Away
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • A Thousand Suns
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • One Good Soldier
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Men at War (7 books)
  • The Last Heroes (Men At War, #1)
  • The Secret Warriors (Men At War, #2)
  • The Soldier Spies (Men at War, #3)
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Double Agents (Men at War, #6)
  • The Spymasters (Men at War, #7)