Start by marking “The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)

The Saboteurs (Men at War #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,375 ratings  ·  27 reviews
W.E.B. Griffin continues his gripping Men at War series, featuring the legendary OSS.

As the Battle of the Atlantic rages, German U-boats are sinking U.S. vessels at will. Meanwhile, preparations are being made to invade Sicily and Italy. As the war heats up, "Wild Bill" Donovan and his secret agents find themselves battling on two fronts at once. And fate is about to deal
Published May 29th 2007 by Jove (first published June 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Saboteurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saboteurs

The Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
Best Spy Novels
485th out of 743 books — 1,105 voters
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
Amazing WWII fiction (some with romance)
64th out of 111 books — 263 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
W.E.B.Griffin is one of my favorite military history novelists. In this work, he's accompanied by William E. Butterworth IV.

Much of Griffin's best work is behind him but I did find this book enjoyable.

Germany has placed two two-men teams in America to disrupt American life. They plant explosives in railroad stations, blow up electrical power stations and are able to select other targets.

The OSS is still a young organization under Wild Bill Donovan. They are fresh off the success of rescuing an i
Peter
Let me start by saying that upon examining the copyright found in the book, the copyright was entirely attributed to the younger Butterworth, not the same man who wrote the first four novels of this series, I believe in the 1980s.

That said, this book was one of the worst examples of literary coherency I've ever read for any reason except taking a class. The villains are incompetent to the point of almost nonexistent, while the heroes are inept and ineffective at anything but providing a camera f
Meakin
This book is not one of griffins best. A convoluted plot. And no real character building. The ending is simplistic. If this is the first book of his you read you probably wouldn't read more. The only saving grace is I loved his other books.
Joan Karter
I enjoyed it. Just not as much as the first 4 in this series. I'll give the next one a shot. Funny, after book 4 I couldn't wait to read this one.....don't feel the same way about the next one.
Ann
I read quite of few of Griffin's books. He is a great storyteller. I haven't read them in order, but I usually recognize characters that I had known before. This one is co-authored with his son and I wonder if the younger "Griffin" is responsible for the rather larger dose of sleazy male humor. I guess the majority of readers are men, but not all...

In the end, not a particularly good novel. Too much going on at the same time. I'm tired of the endless descriptions of hair color and build. The go
Will
Using the Mafia to Counter the Nazis. The OSS sends Canidy and Fulmar into the frey to set up rebel coastwatcher cells in Sicily and to feret out Nazi infiltrators who are reeking terror across eastern America. From one risk mission to another, Canidy finds Ann Chambers in London for a hot breathing break before heading out for his next Donovan assignment and Ann's flat being leveled in bombing. Fulmar is sent to find the Nazis detonating C4 across the east US even though Hoover's FBI is respons ...more
Nick
Mr. Anderson
The ending was a bit longing...
Joe
This book was entertaining, in the same manner that most all of his other books are. It was not better or worse than any of the others. The ending was pretty abrupt, almost like he just wanted to continue the story in the next novel of the series. That being said, this book will probably not stand well on it's own if you are looking for one particular book by this author to read. You definitely need to read the books in the series that come before it and then continue when the next iteration is ...more
Debbie
Jul 04, 2014 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Debbie by: Nick Drew
Excellent walking book!! Enjoyed the story and the characters! Interesting twist with American mobsters helping defeat the Nazis during WWII
Keith
I have enjoyed Griffin's books for many years, unfortunately, this one was disappointing to say the least. This series started strongly, with good characters, interesting situations, and Griffin's gift for describing the inner workings and minutiae of military life and politics.

This book was too slow for me, didn't really do anything and left me wanting more. The first three books in this series were especially good, Book 4 was a little less so and this edition was worst to date.
i've never really read any of web griffin's books. after this one, i don't think i'm going to read any more of his books. overlong, overly descriptive of nothings, and it seemed like he had too many plots that were resolved by sheer stupidity or happenstance. complete anticlimax, no feeling of resolution. very poorly written and poorly conceived. not at all recommended.
Jeremy Doran
Awful.The writing was a little distracting but the story line kept me interested anyway. The ending was terrible. There were 3 story lines, 1 ended in total limbo, 1 ended that total luck solved the problem and they never had to, and the third ended as if the author planned on writing 100 more pages but he ran out of time so he just ended it.
I don't recommend.
Elizabeth Lucas
Liked his series set in South America during WWII and also the first one in this series, but this one had too much foul language and not enough good plot. I didn't even finish it. However, it did make me interesed in reading more about the real German sabotuers that were in America during the war.
Angelina
Discriptions of events were not relevent to the story. It was very random as if looking at 4 different clips and a couple that just ened and went no where. I really gained very little feeling for the characters. I had little desire to finish the book to see how it ended. Very slow moving.
Fredrick Danysh
The Saboteurs is an action packed novel of the OSS. While German submarines are sinking ships in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, "accidents" are happening in factories and on trains in the USA. An OSS team gets on the case.
KarenC
Nov 20, 2010 KarenC rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: series; OSS interest
Amusing plots that get the OSS hooked up with organized crime figures. The saboteurs are handled with way too much coincidence. Lightweight "guylit" that will keep you occupied for a while.
Susan

Griffin writes great stuff, tracking military history. But his more recent ones are it up to the quality of his first few series.
Pas111222
I love W.E.B Griffin's books. However, don't enjoy installments, such as this one, that he co-authors with Wm. E. Butterworth, IV.
Bubb
Rob & Liz
excellent read on undercover 'OSS' operations during WWII showing how each area sometimes operated arouind each other.
r
Joe Holman
Definitely a compelling story that makes it hard to put down and, at the end, desiring to read the next in the series.
Joy Shaiebly
Different than Patterson and Grisham, yet just as involved and well-written.
Mike
Far from his best work
Mark Stuart
PUTS YOU THERE IN PERSON
Kerwin Jn
another home run
Keith
Keith is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2015
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)
  • Island Madness
  • Beautiful Assassin: A Novel
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Rights of Man, Common Sense and Other Political Writings
  • War by Other Means: An Insider's Account of the War on Terror
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Bombs Away
  • The Tau Ceti Agenda
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army
  • Day of Wrath
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Men at War (7 books)
  • The Last Heroes (Men At War, #1)
  • The Secret Warriors (Men At War, #2)
  • The Soldier Spies (Men at War, #3)
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Double Agents (Men at War, #6)
  • The Spymasters (Men at War, #7)
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)