Start by marking “The Salamander Room” as Want to Read:
The Salamander Room

The Salamander Room

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  124 reviews
A boy finds a salamander in the woods and imagines the many things he can do to turn his room into a perfect salamander home. Together, Anne Mazer and Steve Johnson have created a woodland paradise that any salamander would love to share with a child.
Published March 1st 1994 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Salamander Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Salamander Room

The Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgAnimalia by Graeme BaseThe Mitten by Jan BrettStellaluna by Janell CannonThe Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful illustrations
142nd out of 1,123 books — 964 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
295th out of 1,659 books — 1,093 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Feb 13, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature lovers; fans of beautiful pictures; to teach about habitats; just for fun for boys & girls
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail, Melody, Chandra, Kathryn, Lee
Ha! My adult mind had me befuddled. I was expecting a different ending, and perhaps I’d have preferred a different ending. Yet, this book is practically perfect in every way.

A young boy finds a salamander in the wild and wants to keep him. He has answers to every question posed to him by his mother about how he will create the perfect environment for the salamander, and for himself too. The story does a good job of showing the interconnectedness of various animal and plant life in an ecosystem.
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thank you!
What a great concept! I love how the story grows with the little boy's imagination, how the mother carefully weaves "reality" into the boy's perceptions of taking care of a captured salamander--the story and beautiful illustrations do a great job showing nature, habitats and the food chain while also illustrating a boy's sense of wonder, imagination and real desire to care for his dear little salamander.

I also like that it's left up to the audience whether they want to condone or condemn taking
Melody
I can't count the number of times I read this aloud to my usually story-phobic kid. He preferred field guides to narratives, but would always sit still for this lovely, quiet story of a boy who loved salamanders so much he would remodel his room for their comfort. I love this book with all my heart.
Sarah Ravel
The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer is a delightful picture book that expresses both a love and appreciation for nature as well as the power of of a child’s imagination. A young boy finds a salamander in the woods and delighted by it’s “warm and cozy” feeling he decided to bring it home. The book continues as the mother gently questions the boy as to how he will take care of such a creature. The boy first response is very reasonable; he will bring in bits of natures, leaves, moss, rocks, etc. to m ...more
Jenna Smith
The Salamander Room is the story of a young boy's imagination gone wild. After retrieving a small, orange salamander from the woods, he creates a fantastical scenario wherein he can allow the salamander to live in his room. His mother questions his every decision by prodding him for more information, and Brian, the young boy, provides them in minute detail: He will carpet his room with shiny leaves and water so the salamander can play; he will bring trees into his room and rip the roof off his c ...more
Emily Scott
This book is about is about a young boy named Brian who finds a salamander in the woods. Brian takes the salamander home to make him feel loved. Brian’s mom asks Brian many questions about where the salamander will live, where he will sleep, what he will eat and so on and Brian comes up with responses to all of the questions. His imagination eventually turns his responses into a fantasy story. He goes on and on about all of the things that the salamander will have and about how his bedroom will ...more
Cami
This simple conversation book between mother and son about how this boy would take care of a salamander he brings to his room was unexpectedly enchanting for my 7 yr old.
Lush illustrations allow you to see right into this boy's head which is lead by imagination and not barred by the gently questioning of his mother's practicality.
Bradley Sermon
I think is book is so cute and love the connection it makes between man and nature. The book does a great job illustrating the balance in nature and the cycle of life. I also appreciate the mother's questions to her child because it gets him to think a situation all the way through and problem solve. I especially like the connection between man and nature because I myself have a great respect for the world around me and the relationships between the various components that make up an ecosystem.
Dani K.
The Salamander Room is a simple and engaging story about a child’s imagination. While exploring the woods, young Brian discovers a little orange salamander underneath some leaves. To his mother chagrin, he brings the salamander home. The story proceeds in a question and answer fashion, with the mother asking questions about the salamander’s care, and Brian coming up with more and more creative ways to take care of the salamander. From spreading wet leaves on the ground to removing the ceiling to ...more
Traci
The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer tells the story of Brian, a young boy who finds a salamander in the woods. He imagines all the things he would do for his salamander if he were to take him home. His mother asks all the questions, such as, "They will be hungry. How will you feed them?" Brian responds, "I will bring insects to live in my room. And every day I will catch some and feed the salamanders." The story continues like this, and you can just imagine Brian's room becoming a paradise for his ...more
Ashley M.
This story is rich in vocabulary as it tells the process of keeping an animal in your care. The author uses may words that can be found in nature as they tell this story. The book in informative as well as fictional. The colorful vivid illustrations on each page keep your eyes moving all around as you find the many things present mentioned in the story. This story would be great for starting a unit on incest with a classroom of first graders.

The Child in the story wants to keep the salamander he
Kelsey
Salamander Room is a story of a little boy who finds a wild salamander and brings him home to live as a pet. As his mother questions him on how he will care for his new friend, his room slowly begins to transform and take on wildlife qualities.

The first thing I noticed when I began the story was the insects. There is a small blue and gold beetle sitting in a pile of green leaves on the title page, the dedication page has a Monarch butterfly, and on the second opening there are three crickets si
Meridith
The Salamander Room is about a little boy named Brian and a tiny salamander he finds in the woods. Upon bringing the salamander home Brian's mother begins to question how he will care for the little creature. As Brian's mother poses questions for him his imagination grows as he describes in great detail how he will care for his new pet. Brian has grand plans for the salamander that only a child could imagine! The reader is left wondering will Brian's mother let him keep his new friend?

This story
Robert
A little boy finds a salamander in the wild and decides to take it home as a pet. In trying to prepare a suitable habitat for the creature, he discovers that he must make his bedroom very forest-like to properly accommodate the creature. The impression I got, though it was never explicitly stated, was that no man-made habitat could be as good as the salamander's natural habitat, and so the child should have left the salamander where he found it.
Ms Threlkeld
Ack! I was totally on board with this lovely book until the last page when I expected the boy to realize the salamander he caught would be much happier staying in the forest, but that doesn't happen. I can see myself using this as a read aloud to explore cause and effect and to discuss natural habitats. Maybe kids would be satisfied with the ending because they don't have a strong sense of why animals should stay wild.
Shoaa Aljohani
The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer is talking about a young boy who found a salamander in the wild and he like it and wants to keep it with him all the time.This story is funny and interesting.The illustrations are beautiful made with nature color.For example,green color that appropriate with leaves color.I like this story,it is quite and i feel relaxing when i read it aloud to my son.Really,it is cute story.

Abby Greb
I read the Salamander Room to go along with the theme of "escaping reality". I do not know if I would place this story in that category. In some ways it does because the little boy's room starts growing into a forest, but at the same time, all of the things he is bringing in from the forest are very realistic. I think the illustrations went along with the story's mood and plot. They were very detailed and I liked that about the book.
Sun Woong Oh
Brian finds a salamader in the forest. He believe that he can provide a ideal place for the salamander to live in his room. His Mom asks some questions wondering Brian's room might be perfect place, and Brian answers. He is ready to do everything on any cost. He is even ready to blow his ceiling out.
I liked the vivid illustrations, which make me feel that I'm finding the salamander. Like 'Where the Wild Things Are,' the illustrations getting bigger as story goes deep into the climax, and finall
Elizabeth McDonald
Oct 28, 2009 Elizabeth McDonald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, children-at-heart
Brian finds a salamander in the woods and brings it home. When his mother asks how he will give the creature what it needs, he envisions transforming his bedroom, step by step, into a salamander paradise. The illustrations in this short picture book immerse the reader and make her long for a salamander room herself. Mazer's writing hints of poetry without becoming overly flowery: "The rain will come through the open roof, and the sun, too. And vines will creep up the walls of my room, and ferns ...more
Robynn
Need a category for Read over and over. I LOVE this book. Rich illustrations and fantastic images. A gentle voice exploring the possibilities. Great read aloud to my preschoolers.
Nicole
I really liked this book. I have never read it before and even though it is a children's book, I was really engaged and enjoyed it! I loved how imaginative the child was. It was as if the mom was being realistic and the child knew all the answers to have the perfect solution, but the mom never discouraged him. By the end of the story, the boy had created the same habitat he had found the salamander in. The pictures were vivid and the written literature really enhanced the story by using a lot of ...more
Megan Moore
The Salamander room is a really fun and interesting fantasy book because it tells a story that is not very common or many people think of off the top of their head. It is a perfect book for kids because it is about another young child finds a salamander and takes it home and wants to turn his home into the salamanders home as well. Young kids love learning about animals and bugs and insects so this book includes that in the main story plot. This book allows children to use their imagination and ...more
K.C. Becker
An enjoyable story that helps children see from someone else's perspective. The pictures are beautiful,warm and friendly.
Suzanna
I loved this book so much as a child! The illustrations were pure magic.
Jalynn
Gorgeous illustrations. Used for Visualizing.
Kristine Pratt
I love how the room changes around the boy as he describes how he wants to make a home for a salamander he found in the woods. As the story builds, so does the complexity of the drawings which are delightful. My only complaint is that I kind of wished to hear the resolution at the end - after describing to his mother what he was going to do to make this home, what does he actually wind up doing?

Even so, it's a beautiful book full of imagination and a very gentle teaching about the environment an
Superreader200
Brian got a salamander for his pet.
Lora
Beautiful book for budding naturalists.
Bekkah
Such a beautiful book! I can see why so many people love this one. I would use this book during a science lesson on ecosystems since it does a wonderful job of showing how one animal could effect the system as a whole. It would also work well prior to a field trip to a nature center or going on a nature walk around the school to discuss how the kids should take only memories. I feel like you could also use the book to discuss pets, particularly how to choose a good pet and how to truly care for ...more
Sarah Leesman
The Salamander Room is a story about a little boy named Brian who decides that he wants to keep a salamander in his room. The salamander moves into the boy’s bedroom with a frog, crickets, some leaves and moss and ends up taking over his whole room. Brian eventually ends up sleeping outside with his salamander. Brian’s mother skillful asks him classic “mom” questions which he always has an answer for. The pictures and writing in this book are magnificent and nothing is overdone.
  • Moo Hoo
  • Fireflies
  • Seven Blind Mice
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • The Raft
Quite a lot of Anne Mazer’s writing education took place while she was unconscious. Her parents wanted desperately to become writers and made themselves get up at 4:00 a.m. Every morning in order to have writing time before their three young children awoke. The first thing Anne heard every day was two big, noisy electric typewriters. The furious sound of typing was her childhood wake-up music. Dur ...more
More about Anne Mazer...
Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1) The Declaration Of Independence (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #2) The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #6) Reach For The Stars (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #3) Have Wheels, Will Travel (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #4)