Start by marking “Miracleman, Vol. 3: Olympus” as Want to Read:
Miracleman, Vol. 3: Olympus

Miracleman, Vol. 3: Olympus (Miracleman #3)

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  883 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Collects issues #11-16 of the Miracleman saga by Alan Moore and John Totleben. Miracleman rises to godlike stature and builds a utopian society--but first he must face a deadly challenge from Kid Miracleman, his former sidekick.
Published September 1991 by Eclipse

To ask other readers questions about Miracleman, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracleman, Vol. 3

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreBatman by Alan MooreThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan MooreFrom Hell by Alan Moore
Best of Alan Moore
23rd out of 57 books — 49 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanFables by Bill Willingham
Comic Books to Appreciate & Love
100th out of 230 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Ivan
Holy hell, Moore knows how to close off a saga; the storyline starts off exponentially more widescreen and epic than the last, and just grows from there. John Totelben's art is light years beyond Chuck Bekham's scribbles, and though I still miss Alan Davis and Garry Leach's dark, vicious shadows of the first book, Totelben's work on Marvelman's Ragnarok in issue 15 is impressively shocking and appalling. Moore is in full flower again, a story that posits superheroes as literal gods and takes an ...more
Raja99
Considered along with the previous two volumes, this is my pick for Alan Moore's best work. It's out of print, alas, and unlikely to be reprinted soon, given the ongoing legal battle over the rights (between Neil Gaiman, Todd McFarlane, and others).

This third collection starts as a more or less conventional superhero comic, but veers into strange and SFnal territory. In modern terms, I consider it to be a story about the rise of a singularity, and one of the best, regardless of medium. I can onl
Hamish
Well it's not quite the masterpiece I remember it being, but it's really good. It's very well paced, with a satisfying climax and conclusion that justifies the slowness of the first two volumes. The infamous issue #15 is every bit as brutal and painful as its reputation suggests. A lot of the credit for that goes to John Totleben, who turns in wonderfully detailed and dream-like art, even though he was in the process going blind at the time! My main criticism is with Moore's prose. He is general ...more
Aaron Wickstrom
I don't know how a book gets more than a 5 star rating, but the end to Moore's section of the Miracleman story is about as purely amazing as comic books get.
Alberto
May 13, 2008 Alberto rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in great comics / Cualquier interesado en lo mejor del cómic
Shelves: rarezas_rarities
D.M.
Aug 03, 2009 D.M. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comic geeks, art freaks, those yearning for a new world order that works
Extraordinary. Although it's utterly meaningless without having read the two prior books, this is absolutely the pinnacle of the Moore run on Miracleman. Word is, he only did this third book at all because they got supreme comic artist John Totleben to work with him for its entirety. We're so fortunate they did, and he did.
This is the new world, when Miracleman, Avril, and the Warpsmiths have revealed their presence to the planet. It was not, we see as the tale unravels, an easy trek to make. A
Paul
May 14, 2012 Paul rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
Miracleman (MM) is said to be Moore's yin to the Super hero genre while watchman is his yang. I loved MM1-2 but MM3 was a real disappointment. Moore shows an absolute ignorance of economics, human nature and energy production. While the first two volumes of MM are brilliant, this third is overly long, violent and trite. The narrative is far too dense and preachy. Moore is more at home in the realm of Sci fi style pseudoscience and magic then the actual real world. Look MM and Watchman could have ...more
Francisco Becerra
This was the perfect close: epic, shredding, devantating. Never before seen images of destruction and beauty finely woven with magnificent prose. I almost cried seeing it ending.
David Schwarm
One of those books that I put off reading for way to long. Very solid stuff.
Kirsty
I'm not a big fan of poetry and this one was definitely verging on graphic novel poetry. Also the story is being confused with inferences to higher states of being in the human mind like the Promethea comics explore. As exploring this mystical soul version of the capabilities of the human mind, it clashes with my empirical version of reality. I really have trouble giving the work credence beyond someone trying to force their own perspective of reality, especially when it's detrimental to the dev ...more
Kate
For years I've refused to read this series because I was put off by the (what I think of as) old-fashioned art. I finally caved earlier this week, when enough of the reprints had piled up and I just started reading. I tore through them, and when I ran out of reprints, cried, "I need more Miracleman!" so my husband kindly pulled out the issues I've been asking him to quit nagging me to read for the past ten years :-D

It's funny, the art doesn't seem bad now.

What an awesome story. On to the next!
Federiken Masters
Nov 09, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Seguro que a todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Su fama y mi ansiedad
Perturbador y admirable como pocos comics. Ahora que finalmente se solucionaron los problemas de derechos con el personaje, pensaba esperar a que se reeditara en papel para leer esta última y definitiva saga miraclosa mooreana; pero pensándolo mejor, me di cuenta de que no quiero deberle nada a Marvel o a sus gregarios tercermundistas, así que me zambullí con miedo y fascinación en los últimos numeritos de Forum.
Y lo bien que hice.
Los Olimpos nunca volverán a ser los mismos.
Travis
Starts to get dark and lets the big and cosmic ideas take over but still a unique look at super heroes in the 'real world'.
It is a bit of a natural progression of the idea of 'if you're Superman why not fix the world?' and still one of the best of these types of takes on super heroes.

The scenes with the real world figures was amusing and I love that they brought back Miracle Dog.
A big sense of epic storytelling, but with a nice bitter sweet under current.
Kathryn
I am utterly incapable of expressing how amazing this was. I am angry that it is out of print, as so many people are missing an essential piece of comic history and they do not even realize it.

The damn thing made my cry, during three separate issues no less. I'm angry and disgusted by the end. Alan Moore is a bastard and I mean that in the most sincere and heartfelt way possible. Man, he has a problem with women but he is a genius.
Chris
Flawed, but brilliantly so. The out-of-no-where bouts of poetry are a bit jarring, but, in the end, Moore delivers the goods.
Spoiler

The death of Mike Moran would probably be considered one of the key moments in comics if the series hadn't been held hostage by greed, ego and hubris for well over a decade. It is a shame that new readers can only enjoy this series if they have a grand to spend on eBay.
Rich
This is what was always missing from superhero comics. What is it like to be a god walking among lesser beings? Truly an exceptional piece. Many people take exception to this part of the story, that MiracleMan had "changed" - yes, he did - he discovered what separated him from humans. And then he embraced his role as humankind's new deity.

Amazing writing from Alan Moore. Fantastic art by Tottleben as well!
Blake
Of the Alan Moore that I've read, which is admittedly not nearly all, I am inclined to think that this is the maybe his purest expression of a super hero, followed through to its logical conclusion. You can see where ideas for Dr Manhattan, V, and Swamp Thing started to take shape. I have no doubt that Neil Gaiman's follow up is wonderful and imaginative, but I can't imagine it following this.
Neven
A spectacular book - it's a real shame it's no longer available.

I'm not sure if it would be super popular as a reprint. I absolutely loved it, but the purple prose and the way-way-larger-than-life themes might put off audiences looking for action or easy hooks. This is vintage Moore poetry instead, a wonderful exploration of how far he can go and what you think he'd never do.
Israel Laureano
Alan Moore escribió el script de los 3 primeros tomos de MiracleMan, lo que se conoce como la época de
Angela
The story of Miracleman continues. There are many twists and turns in the plot and characters. Another wordy read but this time I felt it was not as gripping as the first 2 volumes. Miracleman meets aliens and becomes god. A good read.
Steven
Early excellent Alan Moore comic book writing ... somewhat spoiled by the techno glow coloring.
Jessica Fure
I need a copy. It's making me crazy.
Andrew
Dec 06, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: your friend John
See my review of Book One.
Bobx
Jun 06, 2013 Bobx added it
very good
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Miracleman, Vol. 4: The Golden Age
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • The Compleat Moonshadow
  • Elektra: Assassin
  • Planetary, Vol. 3: Leaving the 20th Century

Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egypt
More about Alan Moore...

Miracleman (5 books)
  • Miracleman, Vol. 1: A Dream of Flying
  • Miracleman, Vol. 2: The Red King Syndrome
  • Miracleman, Vol. 4: The Golden Age
  • Miracleman Apocrypha: Stories That Never Were, Tales That Never Could Be
Watchmen V for Vendetta Batman: The Killing Joke The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 From Hell