The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus

The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Long ago in ancient Greece, people began telling wonderful stories to explain the mysteries of the world. These myths centered on gods and goddesses, mighty beings who looked and acted human, but who had amazing powers and lived forever. With wonderful skill, Aliki brings these legends to life as only she can. Full color.
Published January 31st 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus

Dolly
Feb 05, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our girls are big fans of Greek Mythology and we've read enough books for them to be able to recite the different Gods and Goddesses off the top of their head. In particular, we really enjoyed reading the book D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths. It's been awhile since we've read some of the myths, though, so I thought this book might offer a bit of a review.

The colorful illustrations and simple biographical information about each of the Immortals is both informative and entertaining. Some of the s...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This is a nice little introduction to the Greek pantheon of gods. This book is very engaging for young children, with well-written text and appealing illustrations laying out the basic events of these stories in a way that is understandable to an elementary audience. Readers are invited to enter into the story world in the author's afterword:

"The next time you hear a clap of thunder, or feel the wind, or see golden wheat swaying in the fields, or hear exquisite music, what will you think? Is th...more
Samantha
Clearly laid out, this beautiful adaptation of traditional Greek myths for children, with full page illustrations throughout, first tells the creation story of the ancient Greeks, then follows with the individual description and stories of each of the traditional Greek gods and goddesses. At first I was quite taken aback with the illustrations because all of the gods and goddesses looked so similar; however, when I discovered that they had been adapted from Greek vase paintings and sculptures, I...more
Oliver
In the beginning, there was only Chaos. Out of Chaos, grew Gaea, the earth god. Gaea had the sky Uranus, for a son. Uranus and Gaea married and gave birth to lots of children. They gave birth to 12 titans. They also gave birth to Cyclops and Brontes. Uranus did not like the Cyclops because they were ugly and put them in a pit called Tartares. Gaea was very angry and gave one of the titans, Chronos, a sickle. She told Chronos to kill Uranus with the sickle. When Chronos killed Uranus he became th...more
*unfinished

Traditional Literature: Myth

Characters: Greek gods-- Gaea, the Earth; Uranus, the sky; Hecatoncheires, Cyclopes, and Titans, children of Gaea and Uranus; Cronus, the youngest titan; Rhea, Cronus' sister; Zeus, child of Rhea and Cronus; Amaltheia, a nymph-goat; the Curetes, Zeus's guards; Metis, Zeus's wife, the Goddess of Prudence; Cronus' other chilren, Destia, Demeter, Hera, Hades, and Poseidon; Zeus' children; Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love

Setting: Ancient Greece, including Tartar...more
Michelle Daut
The Gods and Goddess of Olympus was a very interesting book to read. I learned so much about Zeus and the origins of the gods. The pictures were very detailed and colorful. The pictures told more of the story than the words did, in my opinion. The one thing I did not like about the book was the length and some of the verbiage. After the story, Aliki, dedicated each page to the gods and goddesses. The paragraph were very long and choppy. They used some description but did not hold my attention. I...more
Allison
This was a very interesting book. It was very simple but informing. If a classroom was reading about Gods and Goddesses of Olympus, I would recommend this one. The pictures after every sentence made it easy to follow along with and were at a great level of illustration. This book is well written for children. The sentences were not too long and made everything very clear and understandable. I liked how the author chose to describe each of the Gods and Goddesses on different pages, this would pre...more
Ebookwormy
Dec 02, 2011 Ebookwormy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Tapestry of Grace
Vivid illustrations accompany simple stories of the Greek pantheon. While this is a simple, helpful, introduction, I think the stories (gods eating their children, adultery, etc) need context particularly for children that are either sensitive or inquisitive.

The first chapter features the Greek creation account. Following this, each layout features about a half page of text in a two page spread for each of the god's/ goddesses.

Parents can point out that these gods and goddesses have more in com...more
Helene
Jun 04, 2014 Helene added it
it is cool
Delicious Strawberry
Aliki was one of my favorite authors/illustrators when I was little, and I still enjoy her art a lot. I'd have to say that this was one of my favorite Aliki books. She has always done such a great job with illustrations. While I wish the stories themselves could have been a bit more fleshed out, the pictures are lovely, and this is a fantastic addition for any child's library. Highly recommended for your little one - though who knows, Mom or Dad (or any other adult) you might enjoy it too!
Ruth Ann
Sep 05, 2010 Ruth Ann added it
Shelves: mythology
I learned that first Gaea (the earth) gave birth to Uranus (the sky). Then together they had many children, the first twelve who were known as the Titans. After Uranus threw the Cyclopes and the Hecatoncheires into Tartarus, Gaea was furious and urged the titans to overthrown their father. Cronus, the youngest was brave enough. He married Rhea and they had several children. This book tells about the gods and goddesses and how they came to live on Mount Olympus.
Wendy
Begins by describing the gods and goddesses origins and ascension into power in quick summary. Then, one a double page layout, describes each of the Olympian gods such as attributes and relationship to other gods/goddesses. Given the interest in the Rick Riordan series this could be a good companion piece--regardless, it's a great reference. Interesting to read, concisely written, and beautifully illustrated.
Jenny
This is a good, concise introduction to the Greek gods.
Deanna
Why 5 stars? (Besides Aphrodite being slightly exposed). This book was a great, easy children's book that explained the creation of the Greek Gods. I've always heard about "the Titans," but I hadn't read anything that explained how they fit into the whole time frame.

So I thought this was a great over all look at the Greek Gods from the VERY beginning.
Marie
Great as the first book to introduce Greek mythology. Has map in the front, the creation myth, and then a double page spread on each of the 12 gods enthroned on Mt. Olympus. My daughter uses it as a reference when we read the myths to remind herself who the major players are. Gorgeous paintings, too! No pronunciation guide, though.
J. Renee
My son was just introduced to greek mythology and seemed really interested so I went to the library and checked out 10-15 books of all varieties, this was the only one to grab his attention. So many of the other ones were too much like a text book with fun pictures so they were too dry to really pull him in.
Beautiful illustrations keep readers interested in the Gods and Goddesses of Olympus. The book goes through the most famous stories of the Greek Gods and Goddesses. The author does a good job of making the stories appropriate for younger audiences, yet sometimes the names can be challenging!
Kathryn Eder
This book as beautiful illustrations and it tells the stories about the Gods and Goddess of Olympus. Telling the story about Zues and then all the other Gods and Goddess each have a page that tells their story. Great book for a classroom, especially when covering Gods and Goddess in class.
Amy
This was the right level of (great) illustration to story for us, just getting into the greek myths. The pictures are just cartoony enough to be less threatening (when the guy eats babies/throws them up) but not so cartoony to be frenetic/dumbed down. We were quite entertained!
Andrea
The first half of this book tells the story of the creation of the world that involved the Greek gods and goddesses, and the second half devotes a page to each of the major gods and goddesses. The pictures are beautiful and the story is engaging.
Jane G Meyer
This is a part of our collection of Greek myths. The kids go back to this book all the time, and we even use it as a resource when we're sitting at the dinner table talking about mythology... I think the illustrations are especially enticing.
Lindy
As a young girl I loved reading Mythology, and this book helps me a lot at my school. It makes me remember the god, and goddesses names, and a little bit of Greece. It also tells the scary monster, and brave heroes/heroine.
Margaret
Oct 23, 2013 Margaret marked it as hardcopy-review-to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: The Well Trained Mind
-- Just flipped through this one at the library. Great illustrations, did not read the text, but I think when the need comes up in a few years I'll buy it for our school books.
teresa
Good intro to greek mythology for younger kids. Aliki provides a description of each god and goddess.

My son didn't like aliki's version of Zeus.
Molly
My first book by Aliki and my first book on mythology. This is a great, simple introduction to Greek mythology with lovely illustrations kids should enjoy.
Ruth
Not comparable the the De'Aulaire's book of Greek Myths but still a nice, compact overview of the gods and goddesses and their associated mythology.
Kari
memories ! goodness gracious! this book gave me soo much joy as a child ! the memories are all coming back to me now! i adore this darling book !
Jesse
ireally liked this book it.it explains who were they sons of. and why they are gods.really reccomend this book to you
Jaeger Matthias
zeus king of the gods god of heaven and earth
Jamie
A good short introduction for kids, or people like me who always get them mixed up.
  • Cleopatra
  • Pegasus
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • King Midas and the Golden Touch
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • City: A Story of Roman Planning and Construction
  • Favorite Greek Myths
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
  • Aesop's Fables
Aliki has written and illustrated many books, both fiction and nonfiction, loved by readers throughout the world. The books were inspired by a word, an experience, or the desire to find out. Aliki lives in London, England.
More about Aliki...
My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1) Mummies Made in Egypt Digging Up Dinosaurs Feelings A Medieval Feast