Start by marking “Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education” as Want to Read:
Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education

Making Learning Whole: How Seven Principles of Teaching Can Transform Education

New in Paperback! Make learning more meaningful by teaching the "whole game" David Perkins, a noted authority on teaching and learning and co-director of Harvard's Project Zero, introduces a practical and research-based framework for teaching. He describes how teaching any subject at any level can be made more effective if students are introduced to the "whole game," rathe ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Making Learning Whole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Learning Whole

Kristin
May 06, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended by one of my colleagues from the Center for Teaching and Learning. I really didn't know what I was in for...I was just attracted by the title. I appreciated the author's paradigm shifting metaphor for learning. He suggests that our approach to instruction should be more like teaching baseball. Instead of dissecting learning into isolated facts and skills, we need to start by exposing students to the "whole game". In the health professions, this may mean exposing them to ...more
Ken
Aug 09, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harvard professor David Perkins writes an engaging and unpretentious book of educational theory based, of all things, on a baseball game. That is, he uses seven principles that work for both baseball and teaching, further breaking the principles down into more detailed theories. The seven are:

1. Play the Whole Game
2. Make the Game Worth Playing
3. Work on the Hard Parts
4. Play Out of Town
5. Uncover the Hidden Game
6. Learn from the Team
7. Learn the Game of Learning

Each principle gets its own chapt
Jonathan Cassie
Nov 22, 2016 Jonathan Cassie rated it it was amazing
There's so much in this book to motivate and inspire students of education. Whether you are an education administrator, a teacher, parent or student, Perkins offers in this book highly salient ways of thinking about thinking and learning about knowledge that should inform schools and education practice throughout the country. Chapter 5 "Uncover the Hidden Game" should be required reading for anyone with an interest in schools. Start there.
Matthew
Sep 16, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
If someone posed the question to me of "If you could take just one book with you to a desert island, an island where you'd open up a school," then I'd choose this book, without hesitation. As a teacher for many years, I can say that this book is a wonderful dream come true.

Using highly-interesting stories and metaphors to explain his ideas and principles, the author will soon have you shaking your head in agreement with him, at the same time wondering why so few of these ideas, or anything simil
Juggleandhope
Aug 19, 2011 Juggleandhope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to teaching for meaningful learning. The basic framework feels simple but also full of possibilities and nuance.

Really appreciated the emphasis on teaching only what really matters and the specific criteria the author proposes for that - "disciplinary significance", "societal significance", "personal significance" (for learners & teacher), and "charisma". His criteria for charisma are, "Are the ideas magnetic, alluring, arresting?".

I'm thinking about how to integrate thi
Colleen
I'm taking David Perkins at his own admonition to "not read this book too carefully." I read carefully for three chapters and then skipped the middle and read the last Chapter.

This book has a lot of deep thinking. I am going to have to work on the idea of making "junior versions of the games" -- authentic, engaging, purposeful activities.
Katie
Jun 18, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Interesting ideas about making learning more natural. Takes ideas from how we learn in informal/non-school settings and tries to see how we could apply those ideas to school learning for more engagement and understanding. Great applications in non-school settings too. I've got some ideas to try out in my classroom next fall and know I will find more when I re-read it at some point...
Gabrielle
Mar 26, 2010 Gabrielle rated it liked it
I read this with other colleagues at work. Most of the instructors do not have formal training in teaching so this may be useful -- a sort of "crash course" MAT... I didn't think it was that wonderful, but certainly the ideas in it are sound.
Amy Scheck
Dec 31, 2015 Amy Scheck rated it it was amazing
This book models what it is trying to teach in the best way! The best advice for teachers comes at the end- "skim" and use what works for you. I will definitely integrate some key ideas from the book into my practice.
Michelle
Aug 17, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Good - a little long winded (read: not very entertaining) when many of the concepts could been clearly made with an example or two and then move on. Some good points here that are always worth revisiting for all educators. My favorite: play out of town.
Mary Lee
Thinking about his ideas, layered on my beliefs and practices re: reading/writing workshop, layered on TEACHING WITH POVERTY IN MIND.
Cathy
Apr 04, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it
Even though I'm only to chapter 2, I can tell that this will be one of my most referenced books as I work with educators. More later after I've read more.
Stacy
Feb 05, 2013 Stacy rated it really liked it
This book has been helpful not only for classroom use but in any teaching situation, especially parenting.
Chris Heim
Aug 23, 2014 Chris Heim rated it it was ok
I felt this book was long on ideas that are not as profound as the author would have you believe, and too often vacillating as to whether to be an easily accessible read or a textbook.
Stephenmrichardson
Stephenmrichardson rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Rob Levit
Rob Levit rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Jennifer Hingely
Jennifer Hingely rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
Adam Dube
Adam Dube rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Candace Saar
Candace Saar rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Jeralyn
Jeralyn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Natpat Mon
Natpat Mon rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2010
Pete Welter
Pete Welter rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Phuong
Phuong rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Jmswtsn
Jmswtsn rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Tyler Rice
Tyler Rice rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 31, 2010
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Bernard
Bernard rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery
  • Making Thinking Visible
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • Classroom Habitudes: Teaching Learning Habits and Attitudes in 21st Century Learning
  • In Schools We Trust: Creating Communities of Learning in an Era of Testing and Standardization
  • The Art of Slow Reading: Six Time-Honored Practices for Engagement
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education
  • Wounded by School: Recapturing the Joy in Learning and Standing Up to Old School Culture
  • An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students
  • Teaching as Leadership: The Highly Effective Teacher's Guide to Closing the Achievement Gap
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • What Readers Really Do: Teaching the Process of Meaning Making
  • Radical Reflections: Passionate Opinions on Teaching, Learning, and Living
  • Unmistakable Impact: A Partnership Approach for Dramatically Improving Instruction

“Learning often means changing the game board, not just learning fancier strategies on the same board with the same pieces.” 4 likes
“One never knows when one is going to get ambushed into learning something.” 3 likes