Start by marking “Blinded (Alan Gregory, #12)” as Want to Read:
Blinded (Alan Gregory, #12)

Blinded (Alan Gregory #12)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,651 ratings  ·  100 reviews
In his latest masterwork of psychological suspense, the New York Times bestselling author of The Program, Warning Signs, and The Best Revenge peers into a troubled marriage to craft a shattering tale of secrecy, eroticism, betrayal, and murder.

Psychologist Alan Gregory is juggling his responsibilities as a father, a husband, and doctor when a beautiful woman walks into hi
Published March 1st 2005 by Dell (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Blinded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinded

Dlora
I really enjoy Stephen White's psychological thrillers--though this particular book wasn't so much a thriller as some of his others have been. He also usually starts out slow, building the plot, and then has a fast, startling ending, but not so much this time. It seemed that White was trying out some new writing techniques, perhaps to shake up his normal pattern. He switched between two points of view--the main character, Dr. Alan Gregory, and his best friend, detective Sam Purdy. We basically h ...more
KarenC
My least favorite so far in this series. The premise was good, but presentation was missing - I figured this out by half way through. Included way too much "static" that wasn't really relevant to the plot. Definitely NOT a suspense plot, except for a few chapters near the end. Since I'm reading for the suspense and the "solve the murder/other crime" aspect of the novels, many pages of dithering over which questions to answer and how the questions have to be asked to get an answer only slow down ...more
Pamela Huxtable
This is the first book I have read by White, and I am not sure if I will try another. The primary character in this novel is Alan Gregory, a psychologist, whose patient Gibbs comes to him for counseling, as she suspects that her husband is a serial killer. Gregory seems to play loose with patient confidentiality rules and also oversteps the boundaries between doctor and patient. And when the patient has a problem like Gibbs', the chain of events turns ugly.

The plot was fairly predictable, but so
Ruth Niles
After reading two other books by Stephen White, which were excellent, this was a disappointment. I read a little over 1/3 into the book and there was no character development and the one, main? character was not very believable. I kept thinking White was just writing to write another book. For instance, there's a detective going to a phone booth to make an important call, it took 3 pages before he picked up the receiver.........White described unconnected thoughts that were going through this gu ...more
Allison
It's a week before Thanksgiving in Boulder. Psychologist Alan Gregory is juggling his responsibilities as a father, a husband and a doctor. Alan Gregory struggles with a strict agreement, Alan walks a thin ethical line by revealing just the right amount of information to interest Sam Purdy, his friend the detective and to start a search for the missing husband of Gibbs Storey. The search still continues to seek out Sterling Storey.

I would only recommend this book to people who enjoy reading mys
Lois Duncan
My favorite Stephen White book was THE PROGRAM.

For me, it's been downhill after that. Every once in a while I read another of his books, just to check and see if it's going to live up to that first one I read, but it never does. He spends so much time describing Colorado weather, the protagonist's wife's agonizing bouts with MS, their dogs and their neighbors, that the plots plod along slowly and the mysteries get lost in the maze of mundane details.

This was one such book.
Kulpreet Yadav
I thought the plot in ‘Blinded’ by Stephen White was good and complex—most parts in a good way. But the downside was far too many characters. And their coming and going as the story progressed, did thicken the plot, but at the cost of creating confusion. That was the downside. The author’s first person POV for two of his main characters—the shrink Alan Gregory, and the detective Sam Purdy—didn’t confuse though. And I was left wondering why. The answer, I thought, was in the fact that the second ...more
L.
The next installment of Alan Gregory's life. This finds him continuing to deal with his wife's MS, along with 2 dogs and a baby girl. And, as usual, his friend Sam (who has always reminded me of a nice Pete Marino (from Cornwell's Scarpetta series)); he is having health and marriage problems in a really huge way.

But of course the meat of the story is about Gregory's patients. The star this time is a woman named Gibbs (first name) who comes to him with the story of her husband's murderous affair
Dawn
I did enjoy this book, but it lost a few points for two reasons that had nothing to do with the author. First, I accidentally read an unmarked spoiler in a review on this site. I think I would have been surprised and enjoyed the twist if I hadn't known it was coming. And second, I read this immediately after I read a Jonathan Kellerman Alex Delaware novel. Both books are about a psychiatrist/psychologist and his detective friend. It was a complete accident -- I just randomly picked this off my s ...more
Simone Sinna
In this Alan Gregory takes on a challenging patient and is soon worried about someone listening in to his sessions. The married couple from hell (think Gone Girl with sex games…) tie him and Sam up in knots, and as usual the pace is cracking and it’s hard to put down!
Spoiler alert re back story but read on if you want to orientate/ have read out of order; Sam breaks up with his wife and meets Carmen in this one and Grace is a toddler.
K
The 12th Alan Gregory book finds Psychologist Alan Gregory juggling his responsibilities as a father, a husband, and doctor when a beautiful woman walks into his office with an astounding admission. Gibbs Storey believes that her husband may have murdered a woman. Then, Gibbs stuns Alan again with another revelation: She thinks there are other victims--and her husband is not finished killing yet. Throw in practice problems and we have the story.

This book touches on Alan's wife Lauren's MS, Gibbs
Jodi
While I enjoyed this book, I thought it was a little too easy to figure out what was happening. I also didn't feel that Alan or Sam were really in character. Alan has several patients that are causing more than the usual headaches. One, a former patient just returned to Boulder, wants Alan's help in bringing her husband to justice for the murder of the women he had had affairs with. Several others had revealed intimate secrets to Alan that suddenly found their way to the press or the cops. Meanw ...more
Rich
Dec 21, 2013 Rich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This is about Stephen White novel number 7 or 8 for me. I've been reading the Allen Gregory series for years but not in any sort of order.

This particular Allen Gregory is a solid novel. As usual I like Mr Gregory and the author's characters really come to life. While I always enjoy Mr. Gregory himself, I have never cared for his wife Lauren or his friend Sam, until this book. Lauren is a little softer than her normally bitchy self and Sam seems to have a heart in this edition.

The story is a litt
Mikey B.
This mystery is not at all bad and it is conclusive. The two main characters – the shrink, Alan, and the detective, Sam, seem a little naïve to me – particularly Alan who is too unsuspecting.

(view spoiler) Also this book is at least 150 pages too long and I became bored of reading about the medical problems of Alan’s wi
Marilyn
Stephen White's writing reminds me so much of Jonathan Kellerman. Both authors have a psychologist/psychiatrist with a detective friend that they always involve. And ... the psychobabble really can get to me. It's like they're walking on eggs all the time. Nevertheless...the books are easy reads with just enough punch to keep you interested. This one is about Dr. Gregory's patient (among others) Gibbs Storey...and her story...which is quite incredible...that her husband has been killing people a ...more
Skyqueen
Ok this one is one I will have to reread also. A lot of psychological convolutions that work beautifully. And this is not the first time that I've noticed Stephen, besides knowing how to cook, can dress a woman. Yes, dress. Not undress. One of his many talents as a man? Writer?? Both??
Lisa
Early in the book Alan Gregory's colleague Diane Estevez says "...People sometimes think we read minds. But what we do is more like seeing in the dark, you know? I knew where Gibbs was going. Sterling knew where she was going. ..."

Well, we kind of wish that our well-educated experts did both at times, especially when we need help and want to believe Someone knows the secret cure, or correct decision, . At other times, not so much, like when we're ambivalent about being a sociopath or killer, or
Francesca
This author was recommended to me because he writes about Boulder.

The story was fast-paced and engaging. The story was indeed set in Boulder, mostly. This particular book is somewhere in the middle of a series, so not necessarily a great place to start. The characters have obviously been fleshed out in earlier books and there is probably back-story I'm not getting, although none of the main plot was difficult to follow. If I find some of the earlier books I might try them.

I will note that the
Ed
Not one of White's best but worthwhile to read. The plot jumps back and forth between Alan Gregory and his good friend Detective Sam Purdy. The biggest problem with the plot is that I figured out what the "big surprise" was going to be early in the story. There are a couple of interesting sub-plots involving both main characters and their families. Alan also gets to deal with his "confidentiality issues" again. One of these days, I am going to tire of his constant struggles with the issue and st ...more
Ed
#12 in the Alan Gregory series. Crises continue to mount up for our favorite Boulder, CO psychologist.

Alan Gregory & Lauren Crowder series - Boulder police detective Sam Purdey has just had a heart attack and is facing rehabilitation when his wife decides to leave him. Gregory has his own difficulties caring for his MS-stricken wife and his toddler daughter while tending to a full caseload of clients. An old patient he hasn't seen in years, the beautiful Gibbs Storey, comes back for therapy
Michelle
Oct 22, 2014 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Marca
A former patient, a beautiful woman, comes to see psychologist Alan Gregory with the startling news that she thinks her husband is a serial killer. Dr. Gregory knows her husband because the couple did marriage counseling with him years ago. Gregory’s friend police detective Sam Purdey also gets involved in the mix. Both men have an issue because they are attracted to the beautiful patient. The woman seems to want them to catch her husband in the act, but she does not seem to worry about staying ...more
Craig
Interesting fast moving. Gibbs sterling tries to pin murders on her husband
Tom
I love Stephen White. His writing just peels off the page. This was almost a 4-starrer for me, but a couple of things held it back. The "mystery" was a little too obvious, even for me. It was pretty apparent by at least halfway through. Also, giving Sam some first-person narrative seemed awkward to me. He's a great character who was full of mystery. Sometimes it's good to remember that often the mystery is better than the mystery revealed. But lots of great parts from Alan, his wife, and other c ...more
Jackie Jameson
Guessed "who did it" on or about page 60. Only took until page 477 to find out I was right. When I am SO glad a book is over that my response is to throw it across the room and think, "there goes 5 hours of my life I'll never get back again", its a one star-er. But, in fairness, I'm an old lifetime reader, so I just may be getting harder to shock or please. A lot of writing on this one, not a lot of story. Too long a book for such a short payout.
Joy
Currently listening to this on audiobook and it is slow to get to the action. The main character is a psychlogist who has a patient who is accusing her husband of being a serial killer. The tempo did increase and I found it more entertaining as the story progressed. I didn't figure out the ending until the end which I like. I also remembered that I had read another book with Alan Gregory as the main character but I enjoyed this one more.
Wendy
I hadn't read an Alan Gregory book in quite a while and have a number of them to read to catch up on the series.

Nothing awesome about this one, and I had an inkly all along who was 'doing it', but still kept my interest til the end.

This is another series where it is based somewhere where we've lived or are familiar with. This series is based in Boulder, Colorado and we spent 7 years in the Denver area.
Terri
This is another book in the Dr. Alan Gregory series. It's another well-plotted and well-written mystery. This one is more evenly divided between two narrators, Alan and his best friend Sam. The settings are wide-ranging and add interest. Because I listened to the audio book, I also liked the way the audio narrator distinguished between the two main characters by voice and accent--very effectively done.
Peggy
A woman accuses her husband of murdering other women, yet she won't leave him. There's something fishy about this scenario, and the truth is pursued by psychologist Alan Gregory and his detective friend Sam Purdy. An interesting read from the perspective of the two men, who can't share all the information they have for professional reasons; this makes for good suspense and a suspenseful ending.
Nichole
This book was loaned by a friend. I wasn't expecting much, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. A psychologist receives a call from a patient he'd seen many years before, and she confides in him that she believes her husband is responsible for the deaths of as many as 5 women - one of them her close friend. I was so into this book that I even read it while my boyfriend was TV. Good stuff.
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Burning Man
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6, #7)
  • Blood Born (Dr. Anya Crichton, #4)
  • Cut and Run
  • In this Rain
  • The Butcher's Theater
  • True Crime
  • Trial By Fire
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Murder One (David Sloane, #4)
  • The Bone Vault (Alexandra Cooper, #5)
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • Final Seconds
  • Confessions of an Actor
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)