Start by marking “Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)” as Want to Read:
Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)

Harm's Way (Alan Gregory #4)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,617 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
In this novel of "fascinating psychological suspense" (San Francisco Chronicle), Dr. Alan Gregory follows a trail of harrowing secrets, naked violence, and hidden shame into the haunted heart of a friend he thought he knew. And now, what Alan still doesn't know might kill him.
Unknown Binding, 576 pages
Published March 1st 1997 by Signet (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Harm's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harm's Way

Katherine Adams
Apr 10, 2013 Katherine Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First: Why is Stephen White not a bigger name in the mystery writer world? His work definitely rivals better-known authors for many reasons: his plotting, his characters, his way with describing people and places so well that the reader knows them... I've read all of his books, and have always finished the last page with a satisfied sigh. "In Harm's Way" might not be the first book in the series to start with, but after reading it for the second time, I enjoyed it even more.

This book: The usual
Melissa
Sep 02, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm not sure where this fits into the series. It is the earliest book that I have read. In this book Peter (I've heard about him a lot in later books), Alan Gregory's next door neighbor is murdered in a theater.

Alan is brought on to consult the police and to create a profile of the killer as it is believed that this may the work of a serial killer. Previous to Peter's death, another man is found murdered on the stage of a Miss Saigon production in Denver.

I was very interested in the discussion o
Robert Beveridge
Jan 24, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
[...] Having read enough cozies in my life to still be able to count them on one hand, I have come to the probably erroneous conclusion that the main difference between the cozy mystery and the hard-boiled detective novel is that the investigator in the cozy is never in quite as much immediate physical danger as is the hard-boiled chap. Even if the chap in question isn't too hard-boiled.

Such is the case with Boulder, CO psychiatrist Alan Gregory, the hero of Stephen White's open-ended series of
Cindy
Dec 05, 2011 Cindy rated it it was ok
One thing I like about Stephen White is that one always learns a lot through his novels...this one is set in Boulder, Colorado, with visits to Jackson Hole and Denver. Since I've never been there it was interesting to read about those places. Murders aplenty in this one, though the thread between them seemed a bit tenuous to me. Once the murderer of Alan Gregory's neighbor was revealed, it seemed a stretch to make all the connections. Still, it kept me guessing and a couple of those that I ...more
Christine
Feb 04, 2011 Christine rated it it was ok
This was not one of Stephen White's best. I liked the setting but just couldn't get into the investigations of the murders. The reoccurring characters that I usually like were flat and uninteresting. Alan and Lauren are married now so they are boring. White kept most of the book in and around Boulder but he did take a trip to Jackson Hole, WY, which is one of my favorite places on the planet. By the time I got to the end, didn't care who did it.
Julie
Nov 19, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Alan Gregory is called in to help on a case where his neighbor, Peter, is killed--splayed out with drama on a stage. Sam and Alan and Lauren all try to figure out what happened and if the murderer is a serial killer.

Lots of twists and turns and psychological thoughts. Good writing, but also some material that is a little explicit in Alan Gregory's personal love life that I thought was unnecessary.
Chris
I could only find the abridged copy...which I don't care for.

THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Number four in the Dr. Alan Gregory series and a good one. Full of surprises and suspense as well as some thrilling moments.

Kristin
Mar 22, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
I've read a few books in the Alan Gregory series, but never in order. This is one of the earlier books in the series, which answered the question from later in the series about what happened to Alan's friend/neighbor, Peter. Turns out Peter was murdered during a construction project he was working on for the local theater, and his death appears to be the work of a serial killer who struck a few weeks prior at a theater in Denver. When Alan's friend, Detective Purdy invites him to use his ...more
Ed
Aug 10, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime fiction or Kellerman fans

Gregory's friend and neighbor, Peter Arvin is found brutally murdered while buildings sets in a theater in Boulder, Colorado. Initially, detectives think it's the work of a serial killer and Sam Purdy, Gregory's detective buddy, asks him to do a psych profile. Arvin's widow, Adrienne, also wants to know more about her husband, whom she realizes was a stranger in many ways.

T
Ed
May 26, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in the Alan Gregory series.

Alan Gregory, Boulder CO psychologist, series - When Dr. Alan Gregory's good friend Peter Arvin is found bloody and dying on the stage of a Colorado theatre, suspicion soars that he has become the second victim of a killer whose first prey was discovered amid the elaborate scenery of the road company's production of the Broadway show Miss Saigon. Alan is immediately asked to respond to two pleas for help: one from the police, who would like a psychological profile o
Simone Sinna
Jul 29, 2014 Simone Sinna rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what number this one is…in the first third I think! Alan Gregory, intrepid psychologist is married to DA Lauren Crowder and Peter and Adrienne are still neighbours. Well until Peter is murdered that is; I knew this from reading later books in the series so finally got to see it play out. The highlight for this book for me was Adrienne—a bolshi Jewish urologist who calls a spade a f*ing shovel, she is a delight (even more so in what I think is the next, Remote Control). Unfortunately ...more
Jim Corbiere
Jun 21, 2016 Jim Corbiere rated it liked it
Finished reading " Harm's Way " by Stephen White. This is the 4th of the Dr. Alan Gregory novels. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. His books usually are very good but I had the murderer figured out relatively early so I didn't find it very suspenseful.
Dr. Alan Gregory's good friend and neighbor Peter has been murdered. The setting of his death and other evidence found at the crime scene match the MO of another murder. Peter may have been the victim of a serial killer. Detective Sam Purd
Marilyn
Apr 12, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I think I'm done with Stephen White. I get kind of tired with reading about him making sandwiches and taking the dog for a walk...among other predictable issues of life...relayed in an important mundane sort of fashion. Is that an oxymoron? Anyway, Dr. Alan Gregory lives in Boulder, Colorado. He's horrified to hear that his friend, Peter, has been murdered at a Theatre in Boulder. His friend, Sam Purdy, the cop, wants him to check out the crime scene to give his "expert" opinion/psychological ...more
Lisa
Apr 02, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
A theatre murder - but this time it was really close to home. Peter, Alan's next door neighbour is found dead in the local theatre. But although they were neighbours for over 10 years, how well did they know each other? This book explores how much we really know of people, even those who we love dearly. More theatre murders occur, and the links need to be found. This one kept me guessing to the very end.

I am enjoying this series - even though they keep telling me about the last book in the serie
Amy
Jun 16, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-abridged
CD/abridged/Thriller: This was book 18 of the Dr. Alan Gregory series, which I had never heard of. This book read more like a cheesy Patterson book. A bloody body is found dead in a theater and it looks like the killer may actually be a group of people enacting the murder on stage. Some may be watching the murder while masturbating; tho outlandish. Alan is brought to the scene and asked to help the police with a profile. Of course, Alan gets in over his head looking for the murderers. ...more
Jeanne
Sep 11, 2014 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Having recently discovered this author, I am reading his Alan Gregory series in order. This is the story of The murder of Alan's neighbor, Peter Arvin. I really hate it when authors start killing off characters that I've gotten attached to in earlier books. I found the detail of the three murder scenes confusing and couldn't focus on them. This is an okay mystery, but not nearly as good as the preceding book, Higher Authority.
Donna Wilson
Mar 26, 2014 Donna Wilson rated it really liked it
This book is not the kind I normally read, but it drew me into the story, until I had to know who the killer was also. I might read some more books by Stephen White. I'm not sure yet though. The book while good, was written in first person, and although he did a great job with it, I find first person to get annoying sometimes. But that is just me. If you like murder mysteries, then read this. It is good.
Brian
Jun 03, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
A good mystery read. Was there a serial killer or not. Were the murders related or not. The plot moved slowly forward and the "killer" did not make a whole lot of sense. But then, in real life, the motives for killer another often seems minuscule. This is the author's 4th book and as with most authors had been gradually improving in the character development, the plotting, and the movement of action.
Gary
Aug 12, 2015 Gary rated it liked it
The 4th book in the Alan Gregory series by Stephen White.
I enjoyed this book more than the last one and would rate it 3.5 stars. The book lacked consistency and a few of the characters were rather flat. There were times in the book where it livened up but I am sorry to say still not up to the earlier 2 novels.
Chuck
Jan 25, 2016 Chuck rated it really liked it
Alan Gregory tried to profile a serial killer in the Thriller. Alan friend and neighbor Peter Arvin is brutially murdered in a theater and police detective Sam Purdy needs Alan to work up a profile on the serial killer., since this is the second murder in a Colorado theater. This is a good book that has alot of twists especially at the end.
Tim Warner
Jan 20, 2013 Tim Warner rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-unread
I don't understand. I loved the first book I read by Stephen White. I thought it was intelligent and gripping. I think it was the tenth in his series.Warning Signs.. but I have been twice now disappointed in his early books. I don't like giving up o on a writer who impressed me, but I can't waste time trying to finish a book that lacks any of his later brilliance.
Kristin
Nov 01, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
I LOVE this series of books that takes place in Boulder. I lived in Boulder for two years and still live in the area. It is fun to read a book which takes place in a setting I know well.

I enjoy the character development of this series. I feel as if I really know and like the characters.

If you've not yet read any of this series, I highly recommend it.
Anita
Aug 24, 2010 Anita rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I didn't realize until I was into it that it was fourth in a series...but I didn't feel like I was really missing anything. I liked the humorous comments throughout the book. I liked the character development also. And I liked how AG developed his criminal profile over time. I did think he didn't need to get shot.
Alison
Jul 06, 2015 Alison rated it really liked it
For some reason while reading this a bunch of other series of authors I like kept popping into my head. It was a good book, I enjoyed it but I usually enjoy doctor/detective type books. It was well written, didn't drag and held my interest, I also didn't guess who it was until they started to reveal it in the last 9 pages so, all in all, good mystery and I would read more of his books.
Freyja Vanadis
Apr 29, 2011 Freyja Vanadis rated it liked it
Not one of White's better efforts. I have a hard time believing that Dale Hunter, a female, was able to lift Grant, a male, up into the mixer part of a cement truck by herself, for one thing. And the whole episode with Lisa, the flaky nanny? Nah, she was just too out there to be believed. But otherwise, his style of writing is crisp and exciting, so I still liked the book even with its flaws.
Joan
May 24, 2014 Joan rated it really liked it
Harm's Way is an early book in the Alan Gregory series. It is another well-crafted mystery written in White's usual colorful and smooth writing style. I really enjoy this author's precise word choices and the philosophical insights of his characters.
Jerry Wall
Mystery about Miss Saigon play used as settings for ritual style murder mystery in western state with
psychologist (protagonist) called in as consultant and his relations with murder victim and the family and friends of both. Turns out police detective is killer.
Suzanne
Oct 05, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one being set back in Boulder and the surrounding areas. I found it interesting that Ivy Baldwin (the guy who used to do a high wire act in Eldorado Canyon) was mentioned as I understand he is in the final book of the series as well. I'll get to it eventually...4 down...16 to go!
Susan
Jan 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is another in the Alan Gregory series set in Boulder, Colorado. I really like this series and have several more yet to read. In this one Alan's next door neighbor and friend Peter is found tortured on the stage of a theater. He's the second theater murder in the area recently.
Stephanie
Jun 27, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
I didn't find myself very compelled to read this installment. There were parts that were very interesting and other parts that I wanted to skim through just to avoid. Overall, a pretty forgettable installment in the series.
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • Heartstone
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • Resolved (Butch Karp, #15)
  • Last Seen Alive
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...

Alan Gregory (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
  • Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)