Start by marking “Emily” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,273 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
After being badly burned and disfigured in an accident, college freshman Emily finds help in the power of Christ and true love in Austin, who has himself been spiritually transformed by a difficult Mormon mission.
Published June 1st 1999 by Deseret Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emily

Channing
Apr 22, 2008 Channing rated it it was amazing
This is my very most favorite book! Jack Weyland is my favorite author and this is one of his best books. It is about a girl who gets burned in a fire and how she has to recover from it. I have read most of his books and have liked every single one of them. His books are mostly about problems that teens face. Abortion, drugs, family problems, ect. All of his books are amazing!
Melanie K. 5 King
Jan 04, 2017 Melanie K. 5 King rated it it was amazing
Emily by Jack Weyland is a book that you will never forget. Emily is a book based on a true story. Emily is a fun loving shy Mormon girl. Emily's dream is to be a news reporter. Emily has beautiful blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes and clear beautiful skin. When Emily goes away to college she becomes strong and confident and ready to take on the world. When Emily gets into a terrible incident and has 20% of her body burned her dreams of being a news reporter are dashed to pieces. She has three ...more
Kiera Beddes
Genre: loss and recovery, dealing with belief, love
Summary: Emily kind of has a crush on Austin, her brother's best friend who is shortly leaving on a two-year mission for the LDS church. After he is gone, Emily heads to college and has a great opportunity to learn from the best in broadcast journalism. However, an unfortunate kitchen accident leaves Emily burned and scarred with a long road to recovery. She learns a lot about herself, her faith and her friendships with others. Austin comes home
Julie Carpenter
When this book came out my friend and I read and reread it. There is a sweet love story but the character of Emily was so amazing! To read about her struggle with being burned and having to relearn how to do many simple tasks and trying to not give up on her dreams was an emotional rollercoaster. I laughed and I think I cried way more because I think we can all relate at some level to those feelings of loss and a desire to achieve.

This story also felt a lot more personal to me because I have an
Jesse Beynon
Apr 02, 2012 Jesse Beynon rated it liked it
So I actually read a book called "Nicole" by Jack Weyland, but it wasn't listed in Goodreads so I'll post on this one. It follows a mormon all-star basketball player in high school that gains interest in a sassy pep band player named Nicole. Josh starts to flirt and make it clear he is interested, but she is hesitant. When it comes out that she is a less-active mormon in a town where few are, it only sparks his desire for her more. He begins to persist in letting her get to know him. She refuses ...more
Lani
Oct 15, 2013 Lani rated it it was amazing
Emmeli
Sep 02, 2009 Emmeli rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
While reading this book, i really started to think about my eye and the patch. It has been hard for me to keep my self confidence up just with that cause i have to wear more make up then i have ever wished. I'm trying to be better at trying to find a way that makes me fee worth while and i think i'm getting alittle better. I guess there are good and bad days. I really liked this though because she was so opptomistic with her problem of being a burn serviver and was trying to make a difference in ...more
Candelar
Jan 23, 2012 Candelar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll say that her accident, treatment, and recovery are thought provoking and inspiring. I enjoyed that part of the book. But I have to say I was kind of disappointed at the immaturity showed by almost all the other characters and the shallowness of their personalities (excluding the hospital staff, though). Maybe, with a more thorough character development I wouldn't have thought so, or would have understood why they were that way... but their description and dialogues seem so black or white an ...more
Lauren Perotto
Jan 13, 2014 Lauren Perotto rated it it was amazing
My first Jack Weyland; and for that it will always hold a place in my heart.

All of his novels are fun, easy reads with an LDS base, if not slightly romanticized. As a whole I would rate them a 4 for their literary quality and contribution. But he is my favorite LDS author. After meeting him I like him even more!

I can always trust a good Weyland to pick me up on a down day or keep me entertained when bored.
Chandra Burt
Jul 28, 2013 Chandra Burt rated it really liked it
This book came to me at a time when I had recently gone through an illness that changed my body image and left me covered in scars. I loved how Emily gained strength as she drew closer to Christ through her treatments and recovery, as He is the only One who knows exactly how we feel as we go through trials. Very sappy as far as romance goes... I liked it more for the medical/health trials storyline.
Dorry Lou
Oct 04, 2011 Dorry Lou rated it really liked it
.This was a good book taken from a true experience. It was about a girl who had a tragedy happen to her that totally changed her life. She felt like everyone was looking at her and she did not blame them.
She had always been infatuated with her brothers friend, but now she did not want him in her life. It takes a lot of courage & change of heart for her to even think she can have a normal life.
Samc
Aug 26, 2008 Samc rated it it was amazing
this book is awesome! and it's sad but it ends up happy! it's about this girl and she goes to this college and she gets burned really really REALLY BAD cuz she was cooking and her sleeve got caught on fire. she has to learn how to adapt to the new environment that she has to be in and i can't really remember the rest cuz i read almost a year ago. You should really read this book!!!
Heather
Apr 07, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2007 Sarah rated it liked it
This is about a girl who has everything going for her to be a TV Newscaster but then an accident occurs and before her career is even launched, it's over. Emily then has to decide what is important and who she really is and then realize that its what's inside, not what you see on the outsie, that matters. This one makes you think.
Angie
Nov 03, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
I almost quit this one after the first few chapters because of the immaturity of most of the characters. But when I kept going, I found it to be a tool the author used to show the growth that happened as they went through trials and were stretched because of them. It was touching enough that I found myself tears in several portions of the book.
Jun 07, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: LDS members
Recommended to Emily by: my friend Ashley
When i started reading this book I thought it would just be another mushy love story, but it turned out to be an uplifting book about a girl that learns to trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ when tragedy strikes her. This book has increased my faith in the church and Heavenly Father. Jack Weyland has created yet another masterpiece!
Jessie
Sep 28, 2007 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: loveydovey
This book was quite cheesy. Especially in the beginning. However, it goes on to display a great lesson. Emily is hurt in a cooking accident and then she shows her point of view of being "disfigured" and/or handicap. It helps you to realize how to treat people in those situations. Plus, there is a simple love story involved which is an added bonus! :)
Kiley Bates
Aug 31, 2016 Kiley Bates rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book. This book talks about when a girl gets burnt by a small house fire. Emily was cooking noodles right after she got home from somewhere she went and her shirt caught on fire. Her room mate didn't know what to do but she eventually put out the fire but, Emily was badly burnt. The rest of the book just shows how she goes to burn therapy.
Deana
Aug 06, 2008 Deana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens and adults
Recommended to Deana by: Deb Butler
This book truly educated me about burn victims. I did not understand the physical healing process and how much it truly takes out of you.

Jack Weyland helps you to dwell in the mind of a previously beautiful young woman with a great future. Her life is forever changed for the positive and negative as a result of one bad accident.
Teemarie
May 11, 2009 Teemarie rated it liked it
I thought I had read all of Jack Wayland's books when I was a teenager, but my mom found this at the DI! It was a typical JW book, although I did learn a lot on how burn patients are treated and what therapy is required at the U of U Burn Center when faced with severe burns. I still think Charly is the best!! :)
Kristy
Jul 14, 2009 Kristy rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-author
I read this book shortly after my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer. It helped me look at her situation differently and after she read it, her attitude improved as well! This is a good book for someone going through physical problems.
Madelyn Meacham
Jan 12, 2016 Madelyn Meacham rated it really liked it
Emily a Mormon girl with a crush on her brothers best friend, lives a pretty interesting life! this book tell her story and everything she has gone through. I loved this book! definitely a read again!
Dana
May 09, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years ago. It's about a girl who gets severly burned and how her life changes. It prepared me for the life I have with my special needs child. An awesome perspective on overcoming adversity. A real eye opener.
Christina MacGregor
Sep 23, 2014 Christina MacGregor rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome, because I loved watching the characters develop and grow as the book went on. Some people might findAustin a bit shallow at first, but don't we all have shallow pieces of ourselves that need to work on? Great book- I really, truly loved reading it. :)
Kristen
Jun 18, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Jack Weyland is one of my favorite authors. The story of Emily is encouraging and touching. I found myself amazed at how Emily could deal with her life trials and how much love she had for others. The ending... not my favorite part of the story, but it was still worth reading.
Marina
Sep 28, 2010 Marina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-finished
This book was an amazing spiritual book! It made me realize that my Savior loves me, and that I completely owe my life to him! Also a great patience book and getting over things. It also had a way cute ending, too!(:
Keri
Jul 06, 2011 Keri rated it it was ok
I struggled with this book. Several times through out the book I thought the characters were annoying, shallow, or being stupid. It had a good spiritual message and I remember really enjoy Jack Weyland's books in the past but I just couldn't get into this one because of the characters.
Rachael
Jul 05, 2009 Rachael rated it really liked it
I have read this book several times; It is a great book that has taught me a lot. I have read most of Jack Weyland books because I like what he writes. I think that his books are very applicable to life.
Jessica
Nov 07, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is a cute, LDS book. I first got it to read because it has a child life specialist in it (!!) and I work with her at PCH. Fun to read about that aspect. Also a good story and reminder about faith and love.
Kasi Beorchia
Sep 08, 2009 Kasi Beorchia rated it it was amazing
I really do love Jack Weyland books, and this is my favorite so far. Emily's story is very touching and thought-provoking. It is a quick and simple read, but such a charming story. Those romances are so much fun to read about. I would recommend this book to my friends.
  • Ariana: A Glimpse of Eternity (Ariana, #4)
  • Finding Paradise
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • When Tomorrow Comes
  • First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5)
  • Blind Side
  • Drop Zone
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...