3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,074 ratings  ·  60 reviews
After being badly burned and disfigured in an accident, college freshman Emily finds help in the power of Christ and true love in Austin, who has himself been spiritually transformed by a difficult Mormon mission.
Published June 1st 1999 by Deseret Book Company

Channing
This is my very most favorite book! Jack Weyland is my favorite author and this is one of his best books. It is about a girl who gets burned in a fire and how she has to recover from it. I have read most of his books and have liked every single one of them. His books are mostly about problems that teens face. Abortion, drugs, family problems, ect. All of his books are amazing!
Kiera Beddes
Genre: loss and recovery, dealing with belief, love
Summary: Emily kind of has a crush on Austin, her brother's best friend who is shortly leaving on a two-year mission for the LDS church. After he is gone, Emily heads to college and has a great opportunity to learn from the best in broadcast journalism. However, an unfortunate kitchen accident leaves Emily burned and scarred with a long road to recovery. She learns a lot about herself, her faith and her friendships with others. Austin comes home...more
Jesse Beynon
So I actually read a book called "Nicole" by Jack Weyland, but it wasn't listed in Goodreads so I'll post on this one. It follows a mormon all-star basketball player in high school that gains interest in a sassy pep band player named Nicole. Josh starts to flirt and make it clear he is interested, but she is hesitant. When it comes out that she is a less-active mormon in a town where few are, it only sparks his desire for her more. He begins to persist in letting her get to know him. She refuses...more
Lauren Perotto
My first Jack Weyland, and for that it will always hold a place in my heart.

All of his novels are fun, easy reads with and LDS base, if not slightly romanticized. As a whole I would rate them a 4 for their literary quality and contribution. But he is my favorite LDS author. After meeting him I like him even more!

I can always trust a good Weyland to pick me up on a down day or keep me entertained when bored.
Candelar
I'll say that her accident, treatment, and recovery are thought provoking and inspiring. I enjoyed that part of the book. But I have to say I was kind of disappointed at the immaturity showed by almost all the other characters and the shallowness of their personalities (excluding the hospital staff, though). Maybe, with a more thorough character development I wouldn't have thought so, or would have understood why they were that way... but their description and dialogues seem so black or white an...more
Lani
Emmeli
While reading this book, i really started to think about my eye and the patch. It has been hard for me to keep my self confidence up just with that cause i have to wear more make up then i have ever wished. I'm trying to be better at trying to find a way that makes me fee worth while and i think i'm getting alittle better. I guess there are good and bad days. I really liked this though because she was so opptomistic with her problem of being a burn serviver and was trying to make a difference in...more
Dorry Lou
.This was a good book taken from a true experience. It was about a girl who had a tragedy happen to her that totally changed her life. She felt like everyone was looking at her and she did not blame them.
She had always been infatuated with her brothers friend, but now she did not want him in her life. It takes a lot of courage & change of heart for her to even think she can have a normal life.
Chandra Burt
This book came to me at a time when I had recently gone through an illness that changed my body image and left me covered in scars. I loved how Emily gained strength as she drew closer to Christ through her treatments and recovery, as He is the only One who knows exactly how we feel as we go through trials. Very sappy as far as romance goes... I liked it more for the medical/health trials storyline.
Samc
this book is awesome! and it's sad but it ends up happy! it's about this girl and she goes to this college and she gets burned really really REALLY BAD cuz she was cooking and her sleeve got caught on fire. she has to learn how to adapt to the new environment that she has to be in and i can't really remember the rest cuz i read almost a year ago. You should really read this book!!!
Jessie
This book was quite cheesy. Especially in the beginning. However, it goes on to display a great lesson. Emily is hurt in a cooking accident and then she shows her point of view of being "disfigured" and/or handicap. It helps you to realize how to treat people in those situations. Plus, there is a simple love story involved which is an added bonus! :)
Jun 07, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS members
Recommended to Emily by: my friend Ashley
When i started reading this book I thought it would just be another mushy love story, but it turned out to be an uplifting book about a girl that learns to trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ when tragedy strikes her. This book has increased my faith in the church and Heavenly Father. Jack Weyland has created yet another masterpiece!
Deana
Aug 06, 2008 Deana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens and adults
Recommended to Deana by: Deb Butler
This book truly educated me about burn victims. I did not understand the physical healing process and how much it truly takes out of you.

Jack Weyland helps you to dwell in the mind of a previously beautiful young woman with a great future. Her life is forever changed for the positive and negative as a result of one bad accident.
This is about a girl who has everything going for her to be a TV Newscaster but then an accident occurs and before her career is even launched, it's over. Emily then has to decide what is important and who she really is and then realize that its what's inside, not what you see on the outsie, that matters. This one makes you think.
Teemarie
I thought I had read all of Jack Wayland's books when I was a teenager, but my mom found this at the DI! It was a typical JW book, although I did learn a lot on how burn patients are treated and what therapy is required at the U of U Burn Center when faced with severe burns. I still think Charly is the best!! :)
Heather
Keri
I struggled with this book. Several times through out the book I thought the characters were annoying, shallow, or being stupid. It had a good spiritual message and I remember really enjoy Jack Weyland's books in the past but I just couldn't get into this one because of the characters.
Kristen
Jack Weyland is one of my favorite authors. The story of Emily is encouraging and touching. I found myself amazed at how Emily could deal with her life trials and how much love she had for others. The ending... not my favorite part of the story, but it was still worth reading.
Kasi Beorchia
I really do love Jack Weyland books, and this is my favorite so far. Emily's story is very touching and thought-provoking. It is a quick and simple read, but such a charming story. Those romances are so much fun to read about. I would recommend this book to my friends.
m0rGan
Jack Weyland is a phanominal writer... i find his writing interesting and realistic. I related to Emily in so many ways. No... i haven't experienced the trials she went through but i think her personality reminds us all of people we know and even a little bit of ourselves.
Heather
This was my all time favorite book growing up. I must've read it a dozen times! I grew up wanting to be a Medical Social Worker because of THIS book. I'm so sad that I leant the book out to a friend and never saw it again! :( This is a MUST read if you can find it!!
Liz
Apr 10, 2008 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like touching true stories
This is based on a true story (if I remember correctly), and it's really touching. I own it if anyone wants to borrow it. It's about a girl who was burned in a fire and how she overcame obstacles with her faith. It's also a little bit of a romance.
Kristy
I read this book shortly after my mother-in-law was diagnosed with cancer. It helped me look at her situation differently and after she read it, her attitude improved as well! This is a good book for someone going through physical problems.
Dana
I read this book a few years ago. It's about a girl who gets severly burned and how her life changes. It prepared me for the life I have with my special needs child. An awesome perspective on overcoming adversity. A real eye opener.
Marina
This book was an amazing spiritual book! It made me realize that my Savior loves me, and that I completely owe my life to him! Also a great patience book and getting over things. It also had a way cute ending, too!(:
Dawnetta
Most Weyland books tend to be written to the purpose of some teen hardship. Because of this he usually deals with very real and very hard topics for teens. Teens need these issues discussed, some earlier then others.
Rachael
I have read this book several times; It is a great book that has taught me a lot. I have read most of Jack Weyland books because I like what he writes. I think that his books are very applicable to life.
Brooke Kittle
if I remember correctly, this is the one where she is a burn victim... most of his books are great. They have good messages, but they are more interesting as a teen than they are now.
Kasha
i loved emily in this book of her strength that she had when she got burnt and how she loved austin enough to set him up with dates but in the end they fell in love with each other.
Marcie
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick and easy read. Some parts were a bit cheesy and overall it was very predictable. But it did have it's touching moments.
  • Ariana: The Making of a Queen (Ariana, #1)
  • Macady
  • An Unexpected Love
  • A Promise of Forever
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S...more
More about Jack Weyland...
Charly Sam Michelle & Debra Stephanie Sara, Whenever I Hear Your Name