Start by marking “Nicole” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating Details ·  1,303 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Because he is attracted to Nicole Stegman, a musician in the pep band, Josh Dutton, high school basketball star, befriends her mentally handicapped brother, who helps Josh learn to see people differently just as Josh helps Nicole and her family renew their Mormon faith.
Unknown Binding, 196 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Nicole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nicole

Alysha Speer
Feb 16, 2008 Alysha Speer rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic, sad
The story starts out with a boy named Josh, who goes to a hotel to buy a drink for him and his fellow basketball players. Then as Nichole stops him, they have 'a first date'.
Josh tries to get to know Nichole better, but Nichole doesn't believe in him. She has a special needs brother and is not sure Josh could get used to him.
Finally Josh meets Nichole's brother. And they get along. Nichole and Josh fall in love. Josh goes on a mission, and during his mission Nichole's brother dies.
Nichole begs
May 10, 2008 Kelsey rated it liked it
This is a very good book, although it is pretty sad (I amlost cried!) It has a very good message. Jack Weyland is a great author.
Deborah Berberi
Jun 11, 2008 Deborah Berberi rated it liked it
cheesy but good. :)about a band girl and jock basketball player guy. (a teenage romance novel...with nothing bad).
Aug 16, 2009 Siera rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I love the way Jack Weyland has so many books about ... reality. I like how each one explores situations that, on the other side, people don't really think about, or they do think about but in a negative way. I loved Richard and everything he brought to the story, and I liked the fact that the reactions to him varied from instant love and appreciation to teasing and hurtful behavior to an uncertainty of quite how to respond. I liked the relationship between the two teenage ...more
Jul 03, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
I read this so long ago that I don't remember much about it but I remember I enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. I might have to pick it up again and see if I still enjoy it.
Aug 08, 2008 Nicolle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I have read this once before in High school. It is pretty good for this type of book. I am in a reading mood lately but don't have any books so I am re-reading what I do have.
Aug 28, 2008 Monna rated it it was amazing
FANTASTIC!!! This one I actually listened to on a cd in the car. I love Jack Weylands books. I am getting ready volunteer for Special Olympics in 2009 and Richard, one of the characters in this book, really touched my heart.
Dorian rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2008
Feb 02, 2009 Megan rated it it was ok
I got this as a book on cd and I believe I had the abridged version. It was fun to listen to as I did stuff around the house. It was entertaining and fun sappy LDS love story. Nice and fluffy, short read. Fairly good,
Feb 06, 2009 Staci rated it it was amazing
remember these books? great to read while a young adult but couldn't get back into them as an adult mother with kids!
Mar 02, 2009 Sheralyn rated it it was ok
Yes, like most young women of the 80's and 90s I have read this one. I think I only got thru two of Jack's books before I became bored. They were all the same.
Mar 07, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it
I own the cassettes so also my second time. I grew up on Jack Weyland and remember my sisters having his books so I thought it would be fun to read some of his books again although they're mostly for a younger audience. It was entertaining to listen to the drama and comedy of LDS characters while I clean and his books usually have the "feel good"ness in them that makes them light while still having character depths.
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Sep 05, 2009 Jennieblaser rated it it was ok
Read these silly teen books late at night when I couldn't sleep. Good for no-brainers. Not good for much else, but I remember loving them as a teenager.
Jenny Bates
Jenny Bates rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2009
Oct 23, 2009 Danielle rated it it was amazing
A very, very touching book. One of my absolute favorites of Jack Weyland.
Candicelynnelamb rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Brooke romney
Jun 07, 2010 Brooke romney rated it it was ok
We listened to this and it was okay. Nothing fatastic, but if you have a middle school daughter, it was a nice listen on a long drive. Always a good message at the end.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I loved quite a few of Jack Weyland's books and enjoyed reading them a few years ago. I discovered a book by him that I hadn't already read and decided to read it. However,for some reason I just really didn't like this book all that much. I just couldn't get into it.
Jul 21, 2011 Harlee rated it it was amazing
I love how in this story a band geek and a sports star can have a relationship. I love how they had to overcome challenges together and alone. I also appreciate that the author made a happy ending.
Kelsie Gause
Oct 02, 2011 Kelsie Gause rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, church
I've always wanted to be a Special Education teacher, and when I read this book, I got a different perspective on Special Needs children. I knew that they were always happy, no matter what; but I never realized that they are even happy when people are mean to them. They don't quite understand the meaning of being "mean". They are not "retarded", as some people call them, they are only slower than the rest of us.
I never realized that members of the church could have that kind of an attitude towar
Sep 03, 2011 Kari rated it liked it
More of a young adult novel; it was a quick read. Though, I did get a few chuckles out of it. Definitely not life-changing, but a cute story nonetheless.
I listened to this book a long time ago. I am now revisiting it. It's a good story. It's just a nice book.
Apr 16, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I read this book so long ago that I can hardly even remember what it's about! If you asked me for a summary, I wouldn't be able to even tell you what it's about! Haha, but I just remember that I LOVED this book and had a hard time putting it down, wanting to know where it all was headed :) Cute love story.
Kylee Ward
May 15, 2013 Kylee Ward rated it it was amazing
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
3.5 stars.
I liked this one, and I loved the message, but it's not my favorite of his books. Still an amazing read, though!
Rhonda Stuart
Feb 10, 2015 Rhonda Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I have loved Jack Weylands Charly, Sam, and Adam books for a long time and have read them several times. I have to say though I have not read many other books by Jack Weyland. My daughter Nicole saw this on the shelf and wanted to listen to it so we brought it home. It is a pretty good book. I still have to admit I love the story of Charly it just speaks to me somehow.
Jen Jenson
Jun 14, 2015 Jen Jenson rated it liked it
When I read this, I really liked this book... I was 16.

However, I remember liking this book... it is on my private book shelf. I haven't dared re-read, as I enjoy the small happy memories I have of this book.

I found a list of books I read in 1997, I wanted to add them onto Goodreads.

Added 6/15/15
Aubrey rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
  • First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5)
  • Ariana: A Glimpse of Eternity (Ariana, #4)
  • Macady
  • Kate's Turn
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...