Start by marking “The Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress

The Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress

The book provides 36 patterns and full step-by-step instructions, detailed diagrams and photographs that show the finished garments worn by real people. There is also general advice on choosing materials, construction methods, and an insight into the Tudor tailor's sewing kit.
Published 2006 by Batsford

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Tailor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudor Tailor

Dec 09, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Although this is a book mainly aimed at people interested in reconstructing and making period clothing, it is also a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning more about the types of clothing people wore and how these clothes were made during the Tudor times.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time and was very lucky to have a friend lend it to me for the week. The moment I got my hands on the book and started to read I was engrossed. The beginning of the book explores the type
Zara
Feb 21, 2013 Zara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical costumers and historical writers
Ninya Mikhaila and Jane Malcom-Davies, among others, have written a wonderful book about the clothes worn in Tudor England. It contains plenty of historical sources: extracts from wills and bills; paintings; engravings and effigies. The research they've done is fascinating. It has loads of information that is useful and interesting, such as drawings of typical clothes for men, women, nobles and ordinary people for each decade or so. It also has a table with different types of fabric, a descripti ...more
Gaile
Oct 12, 2011 Gaile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book explains Tudor fashion throughout the 16th century based on paintings, letters and the few garments from the period still surviving. Garments for both men and women are described from head to toe. Pictures of examples abound through out the book. Construction is explained. Patterns and directions are provided for making the garments although the patterns are not full sized. They are rather doll sized which I think would be fun for dressing a doll. To make full sized costumes, you would ...more
snowgray
The actual reading portion of this book is brief; someone looking for a long, well-documented study of clothing in the Tudor period would be left hungry. However, the book gives a strong overview of Tudor clothing habits, backed up by documentation both secondary (contemporary paintings) and primary (actual clothing). Furthermore, it includes patterns that can be sized up to create a few basic items of the Tudor wardrobe, with "Henrician" and "Elizabethan" variants. The written directions are so ...more
R.W. Hansen
Jan 02, 2009 R.W. Hansen rated it really liked it
This book has some great construction techniques. The costumes themselves can be somewhat plain, which might be historically accurate but that depends on the character you are playing. If playing higher nobility the difference in station can be easily remedied by the costumer. Other that that the book was very good. Ninya includes many patterns that just need to be blown up to the appropriate size. Overall this is a must have for any re-enactor or cosumer of the Tudor Era.
Mar 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

This is by far the most in depth book about all aspects of Tudor period clothing; it would be excellent for re-enactors/period dresses (costumes) as it goes into great depth explaining how things were made & worn.

It isn't so much a picture book, so don't buy it if you're expecting luscious colour photos of historic clothing. But if you're interested in the Tudor Period, especially the fashion, then this is definitely the best book that I have personally come across.
Ash
Mar 06, 2014 Ash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book you could happily sit and read as well as work from. It not only covers the garments (with patterns for men and women of all major styles within the time period) but what they should be made of, in what colours, how they should be worn and accessorised, and most importantly where all that information came from and how it was interpreted. It's a good history book as well as a good costuming book, and that is rare.
Erin Lubin
Apr 24, 2010 Erin Lubin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great guide to the construction of Tudor clothing. It starts out with a narrative on what was typical in the way of clothing during that time and follows up with tutorials on how to make specific items of clothing. I was so excited to get this as a gift since I love to make Renaissance clothing but sometimes struggle to determine what was usual during that time period.
Misty  Bourlart
Nov 19, 2014 Misty Bourlart rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on this book. The patterns within are very well researched and the pictures are as inspirational as can be.

I cannot wait to get started on my first Tudor gown using this book as one of my master references.
CJ
Jul 19, 2009 CJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for what Tudor-era people wore and how these articles might have been made. Includes several suits for the peasants and middle class as well as the elite. The patterns, along with those of Jean Hunnisett, look to be do-able. I hope to try in the future.
Ruth
Apr 22, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Costumers and people interested in History
Recommended to Ruth by: Andra
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Fabulously useful (but not if you have NO sewing experience. Definitely not for beginners. The pictures are gorgeous, the text paints a great picture of the times, and the patterns are excellent. I can't wait to make something out of this book!
Rebekah Lewis
If you like Tudor fashion you need this book. End of story, no questions asked.

There are patterns to draft, instructions, close up beautiful photos, information on dye, jewelry and all that fun stuff! YOU NEED THIS BOOK
Caroline
May 09, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing
A fantastic combination of technical and historical reading, combining the patterns and know-how needed to recreate authentic costumes with the social history of clothing. Fascinating and invaulable in equal measure!
Tina
I love this, it is a great guide.
Clear and simple with good photos, illustrations, tips and advice.
As I am currently in costume mode it has spurred me on.
Definitely worth buying a copy to add to my resources.
Lauren Scheier
Jan 29, 2014 Lauren Scheier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The history portion of this book was fantastic. I can't wait to dive in and start using the patterns!
Miriam
Jan 11, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, costuming
Good book as a patterning resource. It was lacking on its information on Henrican sleeves (over and false ones) but I found the website made up for that lack.
Desiree Mae
Aug 20, 2012 Desiree Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: costuming
Great costuming book. I would however love to see if it would change anything given the recent discovery of Renaissance Period bras.
Raven
Raven rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Heather Painting
Heather Painting rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Pvkos
Pvkos rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Rach
Rach rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Lokesh Jain
Lokesh Jain rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Melissa Belanger
Melissa Belanger rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2017
Jason Lantrip
Jason Lantrip rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Shahid Latif
Shahid Latif rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Brian A. Caton
Brian A. Caton rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2017
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
  • Patterns of Fashion 3: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, C.1560-1620
  • The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500
  • Corsets and Crinolines
  • Nineteeth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Costume Close-Up: Clothing Construction and Pattern, 1750-1790
  • The Victorian Tailor: Techniques and Patterns for Making Historically Accurate Period Clothes for Gentlemen
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Costume in Detail: Women's Dress 1730-1930