Start by marking “The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible” as Want to Read:
The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible

The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible

The Renovare Spiritual Formation Study Bible offers a new way for discovering the full riches of the Scriptures. As bestselling author and the project's editor, Richard Foster explains, "When I first began writing about spiritual formation, the soul hunger in people was obvious and the resources meager. Since then, a publishing avalanche has occurred on the subject--some h ...more
Hardcover, New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), 2346 pages
Published May 10th 2005 by HarperOne (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible

Dec 12, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Update, Dec. 12, 2010: I've read the entire Bible!

Obviously, this is a long-term project. So far, I've read Genesis, Matthew, Ezra, Acts, Nehemiah, Mark, Esther, Romans, Job, Exodus, Luke, 1 Corinthians, Leviticus, John, Proverbs, 2 Corinthians, Numbers, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, Deuteronomy, Isaiah, James, Joshua, 1 Peter,
Judges, 2 Peter, Jeremiah, 1 John,
Nov 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible is formatted like a lot of study Bibles. It has chapter introductions, study notes at the bottom of each page, and occasional text boxes in the midst of the text. What is different is the intent. As I understand it, this Bible is an attempt to bring a combination of contemporary Biblical scholarship and suggested spiritual practices to the reader seeking to be changed by the scripture.

All of the scriptural books are grouped in larger sections, each with an
Aug 25, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is truly the finest bible I have ever encountered. The margin notes and essays are really wonderful. They call me to examine myself and the scripture I am reading. I am drawn deeper in to the text and closer to the Divine.

In my Quaker meeting we call these kind of notes "queries". Questions without answers but that cause us to ponder more fully and explore more deeply our thoughts and feelings. It is sustaining and uplifting to meditate on these queries. They bring the bible alive.

With this
Dec 03, 2008 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I bought this as a gift for all the college graduates in my college ministry a few years ago. It continued to be something of a fashion for the serious followers of Jesus in my ministry to get their hands on this incredible resource. Then one of my students actually went out and bought me one. I was elated. I hope to use it for many years to come. The downside is that it's pretty bulky for a Bible. It's not real handy. But it is definitely great as a desk resource or to be used in th quiet momen ...more
Feb 24, 2016 Steve added it
Shelves: owned
First, what is spiritual formation? As defined in the introduction, "Spiritual formation" is the process of transforming the inner reality of the self (the "inward being" of the psalmist) in such a way that the overall with-God life seen in the Bible naturally and freely comes to pass in us. It's wesome! Jessica inspired me to read through the Bible like she and Andy are doing right now. I am following the same reading plan called Eat this Book from the YouVersion Bible on my phone. Ironically, ...more
Dec 31, 2007 Joel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
we received this from Mom Miller for Christmas. Actually, we have the Catholic version with the apocrypha (same price) but it doesn't show up on the Goodreads book choices. The intro by Richard Foster and the general editors is a nice intro to the "with-God life"- a term that they use throughout the commentary. I also like Foster's explanation of why the NRSV is a great version to use- ecumenical, accurate, good English flow, etc. If you could just buy or read the intro, you could use it with wh ...more
Jul 19, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish that Zondervan would bring this book back into print. It has by far the best bible notes I have ever read. They really take you deeper into the scriptures and help you to come closer the the Divine. I have given many copies to friends and family. I have both the NIV translation as well as the NRSV. They are both terrific. I wish I could get this on my iPad or Kindle too. It would be great to be able to have it with me.
Dec 15, 2015 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daily-readers
I own so many Bibles, always looking for the one that's just right. This may be it! Or at least it's right for me right now. My history in Bibles: The Bible as Literature, the King James, the Scofield NIV, the Recovery Bible, the Oxford New Revised Standard, the Lutheran NSRV, and now, this version of the NSRV with its emphasis on spiritual formation.
Jan 16, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solitude and Silence, Frugality and Fasting, Secrecy and Sacrifice, Study and Prayer, Service and Submission, Worship and Celebration, Fellowship and Confession...
I have the version with the Apocrypha though. Not sure it's the "protestant version" a matter of fact I don't think it is. BUt it's great.
Nov 09, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Well written introductions for each book. please note: this is not a study bible but focuses on spiritual formation. Pages are thin and there is some bleed through. the typeset is easy on the eyes but on the small side. I have the leather edition.
Jul 20, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Bible. I love the "Entry Point" reflections based on different spiritual disciplines including Lectio Divina, Ignatian, and Franciscan.
Julie Mihevc
Sep 24, 2009 Julie Mihevc rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Bible. The idea of spiritual formation that permeates this version, as well as the quality of the commentary has blessed my spiritual life in great measure. I love this Bible.
Shirley Smith
Dec 18, 2015 Shirley Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritualality
Wonderfully put together by a group of famous spiritual leaders. The intro's and comments are life-changing. It is the best version of the Bible I have ever read and studied.
Kate Jett
Aug 07, 2007 Kate Jett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and seekers
I like this edition of the Bible, as it contains many extras and explanations in the footnotes. Its thick and hard to carry around, though. You might want it as a second Bible.
Elyse Bontrager
Elyse Bontrager rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Peggy Cook
Peggy Cook rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2014
Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Mark rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Pam Hall
Pam Hall rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Jessica Vacchetto
Jessica Vacchetto rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2008
Ryan Denney
Ryan Denney rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Rodney rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
writer... rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
James rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2008
Free Polazzo
Free Polazzo rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Kevin Greenlee
Kevin Greenlee rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2015
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Joe rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FPCRutherford: Genesis 1-11 1 4 Aug 18, 2013 03:28PM
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Thomas Merton:  Spiritual Direction And Meditation
  • The Dance of Life: Weaving Sorrows and Blessings Into One Joyful Step
  • A Spiritual Formation Workbook  - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth
  • Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation
  • If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1)
  • Sermon on the Mount
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Oxford Study Bible-REB
  • Renovation of the Heart in Daily Practice: Experiments in Spiritual Transformation
  • New Interpreter's Study Bible-NRSV
  • Creating a Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life (Creative Pastoral Care & Counseling)
  • Allah: A Christian Response
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount: God's Character and the Believer's Conduct
  • The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...