Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas: A Pop-Up By Robert Sabuda” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas: A Pop-Up By Robert Sabuda

The Night Before Christmas: A Pop-Up By Robert Sabuda

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  88,414 Ratings  ·  1,507 Reviews
Award winner Robert Sabuda brings Clement Clarke Moore's classic tale of The Night Before Christmas to life in this festive pop-up edition, sure to become a perennial family favorite.
Novelty, A Classic Collectible Pop-Up, 12 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Little Simon (first published 1823)

karen
IT IS CHRISTMAS EVE!

i'm not sure if this is the correct edition to review. the one i have is also illustrated by arthur rackham ♥, but it has this cover:

photo DSC03403_zpsc67b38e8.jpg

which is much better than the one shown above.

i'm not sure how to review this, because it's just the night before christmas, but since i feel compelled to review all the books i read ever, i am just putting it out there that this is a wonderful christmas present to receive, and reading it on christmas eve with a giant mug of cocoa is a pretty
Pramod Nair
Dec 26, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads,

- The opening lines of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

'Twas the Night Before Christmas or A Visit from St. Nicholas, by Clement Clarke Moore is arguably one of the most popular Christmastide themed
K.D. Absolutely
At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus? Last Christmas, I still had to buy something for my daughter and wrote “From: Santa Claus” on the gift tag because she still believed in him. She was 16.

This morning while I was about to drop her at the gate of her school, she again borrowed the rosary hanging on the rearview mirror of my car. The rosary was a gift from my friend who attended the World Youth’s Day in Brazil this year so I am proud of it and taking care of it. The beads are made
Arah-Lynda
Dec 24, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahhh-poetry
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
...
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to
Kathie Meyer
Jun 14, 2008 Kathie Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: winter-reading
This is a very biased review since I know the illustrator personally and was a model for one of the elves that appear in the book. My very special kitty, Larry, is pictured in the Christmas stocking at the end too. In fact, Watson used all real people to model for Santa, the elves and the family in the story, and he set the book in Port Townsend, Wash. where he lives. The clocktower is our actual courthouse in town.

Having said all of that...I think this is one of the most wonderfully illustrated
Chantal ❤️
We read this book as our Holiday tradition every Christmas Eve. It's one tradition that we have never overlooked.
A story for the young and the young at heart.
It wouldn't be Christmas without this.
Mariah
Nov 30, 2016 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story that my students enjoyed. The illustrations were amazing! However, the vocabulary in the book was hard for my students to understand, so we had to have many discussions on what the book is saying.
I just adore this poem, it's been a Christmas tradition to read it every year for as long as I can remember and it always puts a smile on my face :-)
BookWormBlue22
Dec 17, 2015 BookWormBlue22 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timeless Christmas classic! Always a favorite during the holiday season!
David Schaafsma
Dec 24, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every year, in some fashion, I read this aloud to the kids. What has sold more copies, in more versions? This is one of the old classic illustrated versions, more for me than the kids, in a way, though we had five versions of it around the house this time. Everybody likes it, though this year the now eleven year old mimes some of the action that I describe, lightly making fun of it. He has this idea Santa no longer exists!
Trish
Dec 24, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the most well-known poems about Christmas and always a delight to read. This was today's post of BookRiot's Literary Advent Calendar.
Kathryn
Darn it, I don't know how to post for different editions as this keeps coming up the same despite different illustrators. Here, then, are the three versions I've enjoyed this season with links so you can see them on Amazon.

ILLUSTRATED BY GYO FUJIKAWA
Fujikawa's illustrations are so adorable and delightful and child-like, in a way. I thoroughly enjoyed his vision into this holiday classic, though I would have liked more page breaks and more frequent illustrations to help the flow with the poem bet
Arlene
'Twas the Night before Christmas' is a beautiful holiday poem that was written by Dr. Clement C. Moore for his children as a Christmas present. It was reprinted many times over and wasn't what Moore thought would make him famous... but it did. It's been translated in many languages and continues to be recited to children all over the world.

Much to my chagrin, this is the first time I've read/heard this poem in its entirety, but I'll be sure to read it every holiday season moving forward. Beauti
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I must admit I'd never even heard of this sweet little poem until very recently. I also, first misread the title and thought it had something to do with The Nightmare Before Christmas. My bad, I know.

However, I found this poem very cute and it breathed Christmas feelings. I wish I'd known it earlier, because it really feel like a classic. It doesn't take a lot of time to read, so I would definitely recommend it!
Isa Lot
Dec 19, 2015 Isa Lot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Referente a la edición latina. Es precioso, es un cuento en forma de poema, que habla de un niño que se levanta la noche de navidad y ve a Papá Noel. Es realmente bonito. Habla exclusivamente de todo lo relacionado con Papá Noel, no es religioso, eso me gustó. Me parece un libro perfecto para leerle a los niños en navidad.
Wendy
Dec 22, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect time of year to read this Christmas classic. To be honest I don't ever remember reading this as an adult and it brought back some precious childhood memories. I think every adult should read it at least once.
Chris
Dec 14, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I like my illustrated physical book better because of the pics. Still, a wonderful poem to read at Christmas.
Christopher Hicks
This is s fun classic children's book!! Love It!!!
aPriL does feral sometimes
I want a flying reindeer!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is the original Santa Claus story, and you can see why the character is around to this day.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I had never read this before, I'm pretty sure - we certainly never had a copy in our house nor any pre-Christmas tradition of reading it, nothing like that. Probably my primary school had an old copy but I don't think I was too interested. So this was a new reading experience for me, one I approached without any memories or sense of nostalgia to guide me. I got it because it's such a classic, and I believe it's the origin of Santa's sleigh and reindeer (which are named), though don't quote me on ...more
Ken Moten
If you have not yet heard this poem, first things first so that you have context to what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upuUV...

I am going to review this poem in the context of two other previous Christmas reads I have read: one by Milton and one by Dickens.

Now in my review of On The Morning Of Christ's Nativity: Milton's Hymn, I talked briefly of the culture of Christmas surrounding Milton during his lifetime and how it was a very different one from today. Christmas was a
Alan
Aug 26, 2012 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many decades ago did I memorize this poem, "Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...." Does any kid now hearing this know what a "sash" is, not to mention a chimney etc. "As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly...": now as we await the wet leaves--and yacht boating boots--of the Republicans at their national convention hall in Tampa, a full foot above sea level at least: has anyone ever seen DRY leaves flying before a hurricane?
Sounds like someone from NY who has never seen a
Prashant
Mar 30, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
This is a beautiful Christmas poem written by Clement Clarke Moore. I heard this on an audio book from gutenberg project and then also read the text from an e-book. The audiobook was in a sweet voice of a kid stopping and stumbling over some of the complex words.

Brought up in a Hindu house and an environment where many religions live and thrive together, for me Christmas has always been when some people in my neighborhood sang songs in the night and then around midnight a fat guy dressed in all
Tasha
Dec 17, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Following the classic Christmas tale, this version of the story is made special by the illustrations. Brallier has created fifteen stained glass illustrations for the book. They range from holiday mantles to close ups of the reindeer and of course Santa Claus. Santa does not wear a red hat here but instead has the robes of an English Santa Claus. It makes the feel all the more timeless and special.

Throughout, Brallier has small touches that are worth finding. I was entranced by her use of small
Ryun
Jul 30, 2010 Ryun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descriptions of human sacrifice and the power of blood magic are commonplace throughout history, but one — Clement Clarke Moore’s ‘TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS — takes place on the eve of a holiday that most consider a time of joy, happiness and generosity. This makes a poem that would be unsettling in any circumstances an intense, dark and enduring tale of supernatural horror.

Set on the eve of the eponymous Christian feast day, the book begins innocently enough, with a desperately poor fami
Candace W.
Oct 05, 2012 Candace W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: kid-lit-class
This book tells the classic story of The Night Before Christmas, but with special cut outs and a beautiful pop-up finale. I really liked this book, because it tells a story that children know and love with a beautiful addition to it. The illustrations are done in mostly black and white, and are very beautiful. Beyond that, the cut out sections in them allow one illustration to illustrate two sections of the story just by turning the page. Last but not least, the pop-up finale is very intricate a ...more
Obsidian
Seriously the cutest book out there for young and old alike. I have read this book since I was a kid and it always makes me smile. This version has illustrations in it that I think will definitely keep any and all kids entranced with it.

My family used to read this book the night before Christmas. We also used to watch How The Grinch Stole Christmas before bed too. A great book to get you in the holiday mood!

Jules
Aug 03, 2015 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is a lovely story for Christmas. Just read this to my 4 year old niece, who loved it too. The version I read to her is illustrated by Henry Fisher. The illustrations are gorgeous.
Erin
Jun 21, 2017 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Super cute. Loved the expressions on Santa's face & how he smoked a pipe. Would recommend.
http://www.healthdietalert.com/livana-lift/ 1 3 Jan 02, 2017 10:18PM
London christmas party 1 5 Sep 22, 2016 01:00AM
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
Clement Clarke Moore, (July 15, 1779 – July 10, 1863), is best known as the credited author of A Visit From St. Nicholas (more commonly known today as Twas the Night Before Christmas).

Clement C. Moore was more famous in his own day as a professor of Oriental and Greek literature at Columbia College (now Columbia University) and at General Theological Seminary, who compiled a two volume Hebrew dict
More about Clement C. Moore...

“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” 368 likes
“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,
With a little old driver so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donder and Blixen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the housetop the coursers they flew
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too—
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly
That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”
43 likes