Start by marking “National Geographic: The Photographs” as Want to Read:
National Geographic: The Photographs

National Geographic: The Photographs

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,784 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
National Geographic The Photographs is a captivating, full-color presentation of "National Geographic" magazine's best and most memorable photographs of the last 25 years, the facts behind them, and the stories of the men and women who took them.Page after page of this beautiful, large-format book presents stunning images that capture the major themes of the National Geogr ...more
Published October 1st 1994 by National Geographic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about National Geographic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic

Rajesh
Jan 08, 2009 Rajesh rated it really liked it
The Photographs offers readers an inside look at National Geographic and a sharp-eyed view of the world. The book showcases the skill and imagination of such notable Geographic photographers as David Doubilet, William Albert Allard, Sam Abell, Jim Stanfield, Jodi Cobb, Jim Brandenburg, David Alan Harvey, and many more. They share their techniques, as well as personal and colorful anecdotes about individual images and their adventures in the field—sometimes humorous, sometimes terrifying, always ...more
Jun 19, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-me
I wanted to hear more back stories to the pictures. When the photographers were describing where they went and what they saw I wanted the pictures to be corresponding on the next page./ I wrote the 1st half of this review when I had the book put into the can't finish section and gave it two stars. I have finished it. I retract my 1st option and move it up to 4 stars. Goes to show sometime you just have to be in the right mind set to enjoy certain things in life.
Liralen
It pretty much goes without saying that the photography in this book is fantastic (it's some of the best of National Geographic, after all), but what really makes it is the accompanying text -- details about how a shot was set up, or how and where the photographer preferred to work, or what was new and innovative in the field at the time. It makes for not just a pretty read but also a really interesting one.
Bader
Nov 02, 2009 Bader rated it it was amazing
This is one example of kind of books that you don't want to come to the end when you start. You want to get more and more of beautiful, charming, and educating photos with very nice articles having amazing stories and lessons.

I really admire what National Geographic did and is doing for the humanity.
I enjoyed both the photos and the articles of this book.
Pauline Rouse
Sep 03, 2012 Pauline Rouse rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful. But the girl on the cover freaks me out......she has pretty eyes....?
Kamil
Apr 24, 2013 Kamil rated it liked it
O wydawnictwie National Geographic można pisać naprawdę długo. Nie ma chyba zbyt dużo ludzi, którzy o nim nie słyszeli. Wydawcy dbają, aby to co oddają nam, czytelnikom (i fotografom), w te łaknące coraz więcej i więcej łapska, zawsze charakteryzowało się wysoką jakością i kunsztem. Trwa to już tak długo, że można śmiało mówić o osobnym miejscu na kartach historii. A "National Geographic oczami fotografów" właśnie jest swego rodzaju "podręcznikiem historii".

Nie jest to książka, lecz foto-album.
Jori Richardson
Mar 26, 2013 Jori Richardson rated it liked it
Recommended to Jori by: my boyfriend
Shelves: books-owned
I have always thought that National Geographic has amazing photography. My boyfriend loves the magazine, so I got this book for him. The photos are split up into different themes, and they were more focused on gritty reality than beautiful, sweeping epic visionaries. Maybe it was just the last NG book I looked at, but I certainly remember a different feel to those photos. Not that these photos aren't excellent, though.
Be sure to read the text as well, especially the little captions that tell you
Jessica
Apr 01, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Amazing, breathtaking, and Beautiful. I hope someday I can take just one picture as good as these.

These photographers from the early 1900's loved their work. They lugged their heavy and fragile equipment around in the most remote areas. They even had thier developing chemicals and built improvised dark rooms. What an inspiration of commitment.

I am amazed at the ability and talent of Charles Martin, who was able to take the first color photographs underwater of fish swimming. He had to get every
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The best of the best photos. I loved National Geographic growing up - and the photos were always a highlight. So you take that hundreds of thousands of photos taken by National Geographic photographers, cull it to the tens of thousands of photos included in the magazine, then cull it again down to the ~400ish that appear in this book - that makes for some fantastic photos.

It lost a star because:
1. The National Geographic Photography Website is so good - why buy a book?
2. There are so many Natio
Jaimie
Sep 04, 2015 Jaimie rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoyed some of the photos in this book, I feel that it could have done with some major editing since it clearly lacked any sort of organization. Not only did the writing not match up with the photos alongside it in many cases, but a lot of the discussed photos were not even included in the book altogether! In a lot of ways I feel like they could have just left out the writing entirely and stuck with captions, as that would have left more room for photos and I wouldn't have wasted m ...more
David Oren
Oct 30, 2014 David Oren rated it it was amazing
Aww a true favorite, I read it as a kid, the photographes are absolutely beautiful and inspire a kid and show a glimpse of the world, very romantic haha.

I reread it every year or two and the pictures and the stories they portray are mesmerizing, I wish I had this book next to me right now...
Phillip
Apr 13, 2014 Phillip rated it liked it
Not the selection of pictures. Prose narration and stories about individual photographers and National Geographic's photographic mission add to attraction and more about photographers and their stories would have been a nice addition.
Manish
Jul 06, 2015 Manish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome collection of photographs.. one of the best in collection.. perfect coffee table book

For any query mail at manish.ray03@gmail.com / write at https://www.facebook.com/raysclicks
Nendra Gunawan
Jun 02, 2014 Nendra Gunawan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told first hand from the photographers themselves, a great behind the shot story of every tale-telling photographs
Vidushi
Apr 13, 2015 Vidushi rated it really liked it
4.5 rated Non-Fiction and Information book. A photographic journal and a MUST READ for photographers..
Peter
Jul 15, 2014 Peter rated it it was amazing
(added this years later; read it before Goodreads)

Probably enjoyed it.

Newmarket library.
Ady Grafovna
Jan 24, 2015 Ady Grafovna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
If you love the magazine and it's stories and photographs, you will love belittle book which is a collection of some of the best features. I only wish that the book was bigger to appreciate the stunning photography more.
Far
Aug 02, 2011 Far rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-it
An absolutley beautiful collection of images. The best part is having information to put the images into context - the message, the reason, the situation where it had been captured and how the image had been captured.

There are some of my favourite NG images in there but there are also a slew of new photographs that have gained a second look because of the stories that have been incorporated.

This was a beautiful gift to have recieved.
Lydia
Aug 13, 2013 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Simply excellent. Normally with photo-heavy books I skim over the text and only read captions. With this book, however, I read every single word and gained a wealth of knowledge regarding the history and philosophies of NatGeo.

And the photos were soooo good.

I loved this! Borrowed if from a library and am considering buying it for my own collection.
Jagati Bagchi
Mar 14, 2010 Jagati Bagchi rated it it was amazing
A picture tells a thousand words well in this case it tells an epic a human epic. These pictures are of every conceivable emotions. What amazes me is the time when they were frozen in eternity did the photogrphers anticipated such moves or were they just lucky. And at times like this you know that there is a hand of god to guide you to immortality.
Kelsey
Jan 02, 2010 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Anyone wanting to take a deeper look at the our planet and it's inhabitants will find themselves trapped! This book was outstanding! I loved learning about the photos and the photographers and their amazing journey that they work hard to preserve the past- for the future... gives great tips for photography taking as well.
David Ward
Jan 19, 2016 David Ward rated it really liked it
National Geographic: The Photographs by Leah Bendavid-Val (National Geographic 1994) (778.9907). This is a huge coffee-table book and is quite simply the greatest collection of photographs ever assembled by National Geographic. My rating: 8/10, finished 1995.
Juliana
Aug 07, 2015 Juliana rated it it was amazing
This is a nice little compact edition of some of best photographs taken by National Geographic Magazine. Included are essays grouping the stories which tell a bit about the changing nature of the magazine's editorial policies and the photographers they've worked with.
April
Jun 14, 2009 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-nonfiction
This book was a gift, and it's the perfect coffee table book. The pictures are incredible and tell real stories. The stories behind the photographs are given, and they are beautiful. It's wonderful to get a sense of past and present throughout the world.
Dr.Nouf AlKaabi
Jan 01, 2010 Dr.Nouf AlKaabi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
The picture in the book were amazing.
The book was mostly concentrating on how national geographic's photographer developed and what they faced. I learen that to be a photographer you need more than a "camera".
Sean
Dec 04, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing

Really enjoyed this book. The back story on how the images came to be, the creative process descriptions and the personal artistic philosophies of the photographers made this book fascinating and Inspiring.
Serge Pierro
Oct 02, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
National Geographic is known for their outstanding photography, and this collection proves it. An amazing array of top notch photographs covering a wide range of subjects from the pages of the magazine.
Ramesh Prabhu
Jul 07, 2013 Ramesh Prabhu rated it it was amazing
If you really need a reason to buy this magnificent National Geographic book, here it is: http://bit.ly/PrabhuA105 (The Reading Room)
Miguel Ángel Vilela
Jan 28, 2011 Miguel Ángel Vilela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any photographer
Shelves: photography
Long time I finished reading this one, but I'd gladly read it again.
Good lessons about photography. And about life.
Margarite Baltruweit
  • Ansel Adams at 100
  • Wide Angle: National Geographic Greatest Places
  • 100 Photographs That Changed the World
  • Woman in the Mirror
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Ansel Adams: Our National Parks