Start by marking “What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated” as Want to Read:

Can you name...Newton's 3 laws of motion? The 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse? The 5 pillars of Islam? The 6 wives of Henry VIII? The 7 kinds of plane triangles? The 8 Beatitudes? If you're not sure about the answers to the above, this is the book for you. A compendium of 101 culturally significant particulars from the fields of mythology, religion, literature, history, scien ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Anchor (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about What are the Seven Wonders of the World?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What are the Seven Wonders of the World?

Lesley Lee
Dec 09, 2014 Lesley Lee rated it really liked it
A great book for browsing or reading straight through. Facts grouped by numbers, includes some obscure things like "What are the 9 Confucian Classics" but great for magpie brains & quiz-lovers alike .
Jason
Jun 06, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
What are the seven wonders? Let me count the ways. Terse, yet succinct, and surprisingly well written for a set of cultural lists. Great time-killers.
Hal
Feb 27, 2014 Hal rated it liked it
Not much really to say on this book other than is packed with little known knowledge on historical information. It is rather heavily slanted to mythology and such, and though interesting at times it is not clear if one could retain a lot of what is here because there is so much. Also not sure how one can use it.
Jim Razinha
Oct 07, 2015 Jim Razinha rated it it was ok
I ate up the Wallace's Books of Lists in the 1970s, so when I saw this on the clearance shelf, I picked it up out of curiosity. More substantial than the Wallace entries - it's 560 pages, and these 101 lists were "fully explicated" - they nonetheless have arbitrary (regions of Italy?) mixed with traditional lists. Interesting light diversion.
Michael Ryder
May 02, 2016 Michael Ryder rated it really liked it
It takes a long time to get through this book because of the subject material and the density of the knowledge contained in each "chapter." Well written for the most part. Enjoyable. Surprisingly, I found myself laughing out loud occasionally while reading it.
Chuck
Sep 20, 2014 Chuck rated it liked it
Not much editorializing or idiosyncrasy, but I still enjoy browsing this sort of book (even if technology has rendered the straightforward info dump book obsolete).
Linda
Feb 01, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Definitely a 4+! All sorts of interesting "groups" are listed and explained in numerical order. Want to know about the 3 furies? The 3 musketeers? What about the 5 pillars of Islam? the 6 wives of Henry the VIII? The 7 virtues or the 7 deadly sins? The 9 orders of angels, or 9 royal houses of England? I think you get it--there are lots of fascinating groups or lists in this volume--101 of them to be exact.
This isn't the sort of book to read from cover to cover. Just dip in, skip around, and disc
Tayinnawin
Jan 06, 2015 Tayinnawin rated it really liked it
Awesome book!
Gina
Oct 20, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book going over several lists of things, like the 3 Furies, the 10 Commandments, and Wilson's 14 points. Some of the information was quite interesting, and then other parts really dragged. I think this was partially dependent on the subject matter, but I also think there was some smugness on the part of the authors that would come through at times and annoy. The book was uneven, but it definitely had it's points.
Michelle
Dec 06, 2008 Michelle rated it it was ok
Well, I was excited for the IDEA of this book. But it is far too sloppily and coarsely done. I wouldn't let a young person read the salacious details trotted out about the various mythologies of the world, and the religious sections were pure poppycock. Adam and Eve had only three sons, and we are all descended from Seth? Oh, please. I wasn't expecting great erudition here but I was extremely disappointed with this book.
Barbara
Jan 07, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
I found this interesting book via a book club I belong to. I've used it extensively in research for debating as well as writing fanfiction. Encyclopedic in nature (it covers a wealth of subjects from history to science to the arts) and intelligently written, I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys learning.
Barbara
Aug 31, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Virginiahammes
Jul 14, 2008 Virginiahammes is currently reading it
I keep this book handy. When I have a few minutes I read a little from it. The book lends itself to just taking 10 minutes and reading something interesting, and trivial. I am about half way through it. I plan on leaving it in the SEEK room for students to look at.
Tlaloc
Oct 18, 2010 Tlaloc rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-sciences
If you're looking for interesting, but ultimately unprofitable, information (practically speaking, though you'll no doubt impress a few people down the line), this is the book for you. Knowledge for knowledge's sake!
Mrs. Roy
Feb 27, 2009 Mrs. Roy rated it it was amazing
Like lists? Really interesting lists? Here's one for you! The chapters are entitled "2" and "8", etc., to represent the number of items in the lists in that chapter. VERY kewl!
Sheldon Lehman
This one I think I will buy. It will make a great party trivia-game resource or something.
Marilyn
Feb 16, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
A list and description of things I had never even thought of before. Educational.
Leslie
Aug 04, 2012 Leslie added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
This is a great book to keep in your car. Short vignettes on groups of 3, 4, 5 and so on.
Bill
Dec 16, 2014 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Excellent read if you are prepping to appear on Jeopardy......
Bryan Lee
Apr 07, 2011 Bryan Lee rated it really liked it
Great for off the wall reference.
Rachit Ranjan
Rachit Ranjan marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
pallav sinha
pallav sinha marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Rajiv Soni
Rajiv Soni marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Carl Lew
Carl Lew marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
KathyLMC
KathyLMC marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Michael VS
Michael VS marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover for D'Epiro Book 3 10 Dec 25, 2014 06:57PM
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • Death and the Afterlife: A Chronological Journey, from Cremation to Quantum Resurrection
  • Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe
  • Energy in Nature and Society: General Energetics of Complex Systems
  • The Physics of War: From Arrows to Atoms
  • The God Problem: How a Godless Cosmos Creates
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space & Astronomy
  • Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History
  • The Lost Art of Finding Our Way
  • Reality Check: How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future
  • A Survival Guide to the Misinformation Age: Scientific Habits of Mind
  • Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized
  • God and the Multiverse: Humanity's Expanding View of the Cosmos
  • War! What Is It Good For?: Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots
  • Astronomy Today