Start by marking “PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)” as Want to Read:
PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)

PartnerShip (Brainship #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  4,048 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
She was born human... reborn as much, much more.

Her name was Nancia Perez y de Gras. Like the other five young people aboard, she was an aristocrat... a member of one of the illustrious High Families. And, like the others, she was a new graduate, just starting out on her own career.

But while the rest were bound for less-than-glamorous assignments—for reasons they preferred

Published March 1st 1992 by Baen Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about PartnerShip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PartnerShip

Minh
Feb 04, 2011 Minh rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Technically a reread since I own a paperback copy of this book. Found most of the characters so unlikeable it was actually difficult to finish the book.
Kat Adams
Nov 11, 2007 Kat Adams rated it really liked it
The entire Brainship series is a joy–it's interesting to see the world from a point of view both incredibly powerful and incredibly helpless.
zjakkelien
Jun 03, 2013 zjakkelien rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, read-ebooks
Partnership is about Nancia. On her first trip, she transports several young people from high families. Unfortunately, they are all corrupt and she overhears their plans, but is persuaded that she shouldn't have, since she didn't identify herself as a brain ship. Her first brawn happens to be extremely stuck up regarding his morals, so it takes a while before the situation gets rectified...

I liked this book a little less. It was still entertaining, but I was annoyed by the moral brawn, and Nanci
Kris
Jun 08, 2015 Kris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of classic sci-fi
Shelves: own-it
Even though this was written in 1992, it has the feel of old school, classic Science Fiction. There's a hint of sexism, though not as bad as stuff from the 50's and 60's, and the science still has that "gee-whiz" feeling you get from early SF. It's a quick read, and an entertaining story - though I had things figured out quite early on, as far as what was going on with the bit of mystery and intrigue that drives the plot.

Brainships are intersellar craft that are really human cyborgs - a human be
Barbara
Feb 01, 2014 Barbara rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf
I gave up on this about a quarter of the way through. Just about everyone, including the ship Nancia, was unlikeable. I know her passengers weren't meant to be pleasant but she was an unbelievably naive, self-righteous snob. From the other reviews, it is clear she grows up in the course of this story, but I have so many things on my "to read" pile I couldn't be bothered spending more time with Nancia.
Macjest
Nov 30, 2014 Macjest rated it liked it
I'd really give this a 2.5. This is NOT as good as the other books in the series. As others have pointed out, the characters are completely unlike able, even the main character. The brain is young and annoying. The brawn has a stick up his butt. It was all I could do to keep reading. About three quarters of the way through, things finally started to get interesting. Not on my re-read list.
Kim
Feb 28, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-to-read
A sequel to brainship, this book follows the life of a brainship whose of a High Family. Unlike the previous series with Helva, Nancia knows and is close with her family. This book orientates around a single plot, in which a group of spoil high family young adults get shunted off to a group of backwater planets, pursuing there ambitious goals without care for the lives they affect. Each of these people are in widely different fields and mostly help each other out with there goals. They are the v ...more
Deirdre
Nov 07, 2012 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is an old favourite. The idea of babies who couldn't life getting a place in the world where in fact they were more powerful than most. Nancia is new to service, she comes from a powerful family and she is trying to do the right thing by her training and her family. This is a coming of age story and a lesson to Nancia in her place in the world and her relationship with people.

It's an interesting story, delving occasionally into issues like family relationships and honour; how someti
Stephanie Keil
Nov 29, 2016 Stephanie Keil rated it liked it
Nancia is a brainship. Born severely disabled she is turned into a brainship, a space ship that operates by the brain of a severely disabled individual. On her first voyage, fresh out of school, she transports five people who don't hold the same standards of high moral integrity she does. These five outlaws cause a lot of trouble in the galaxy and it is up to Nancia and her brawn to transport them to another part of the universe to have a trial. A prisoner tries to escape but thanks to Nancia's ...more
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
Not as good as the original of the Brain and Brawn series, The Ship Who Sang, or others I have read which feature a partnership of a normal human (a "brawn") with an individual born with severe handicaps who become a cybernetic starship pilot or city manager (the "brain"). The focus of this story on exposing a set of young adults of the upper classes who engage in corrupt schemes in various colony worlds was not as compelling as that of other novels concerned more with development of the brain/b ...more
Erika Worley
Oct 01, 2015 Erika Worley rated it it was amazing
This was the first of the Brainship novels I read and I absolutely adored everything about it. I love Anne McCaffrey's ability to portray complex, believable characters without over-telling the story. She trusts the reader to remember details from past books rather than explain them all over again, although the story is completely understandable even when you haven't read any of the others. I've read this book two or three times.
John Parvin
overall, a book which portraits a lot of the 'high society' snobbery and views of the common folk, even the main character falls into that category, yet it also shows a bit of the good some can do, like when Blaize had rectified a long standing error in getting the natives of the planet he oversees the status they deserve, despite having to resort to black market theft to do so...

gotta say this was not one of the more enjoyable books to read...
Dottie Bayne
Apr 11, 2011 Dottie Bayne rated it really liked it
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's brainship series. I picked this up at a book sale and am so glad I did. Good characters. I enjoyed seeing Nancia mature from a young, inexperienced person to a mature partner in the team. Lots of action, some moral questions posed and answered, all in the future world of brain-brawn partnerships. Some actions were predictable, but a great book to kick back and enjoy on a rainy afternoon.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 09, 2012 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
The brain of a human who could not survive in a human body is implanted into a courier ship. Working with a human partner, Nancia travels space delivering people to various planets. On her first voyage she overhears plan to set a criminal enterprise. As she develops a sense of ethics and morality, Nancia assumes a quest to eliminate corruption.
Kerri
Sep 27, 2008 Kerri rated it did not like it
Nantia is boring and to good for her own good. Her passengers are ridiculous snobs. That's pretty much all I can tell you about this book as that's about as far as I got. Don't waste your time with this one. Fortunately the rest of the Brainship series is a lot more exciting and the shellpeople involved have a lot more personality than Nantia did.
iamtedae
Sep 24, 2007 iamtedae rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction
Shelves: memorable
Well, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Honestly, I put it in the "memorable" category, but I've already forgotten my impression of it, so it really wasn't memorable, but I hated to relegate it to the "forgettable" shelf. I think the characters were a little flimsy and the story a little slow and uneventful, but that could just be how I remember it. My overall reaction? Meh.
Alex Satrapa
May 08, 2012 Alex Satrapa rated it it was amazing
"The Ship Who Sang" meets "James Bond" and "West Wing". This story deals with Nancia, a brainship from a "High Family" who finds that life is not about black and white. She encounters scheming, betrayal, corruption, and plots to take over the world!

Anne McCaffrey's story of Nancia's adventures will keep you guessing, even though you know the good guys have to win.
Sandra Strange
Aug 17, 2011 Sandra Strange rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great adventure within a very interesting reality of ships that have been melded with humans. Watch out for the sensuality in some of these books. However, they're still worth reading--well written fantasy adventure with positive characters and decisions, with the ultimate triumph of the noble and good.
Mireille
Jul 17, 2012 Mireille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irl-bookshelf, adult
Ce livre est un beau nanar de l'espace, c'est mauvais mais assez divertissant... J'y ai trouvé plusieurs phrases un peu navrantes, comme: "On ne pouvait pas dire qu'il montait quatre à quatre, mais il arriva en haut plus vite qu'elle ne s'y attendait." (p.204)

La prochaine fois, j'espère choisir une meilleure lecture de science-fiction!
Maryann Fläsch
Oct 29, 2013 Maryann Fläsch rated it liked it
Good but not great. The whole High Family thing got tiresom fast. I know this happens hundreds of years after The Ship Who Sang but the "I know my family because they're rich as hell" aspect was stupid.
Nettle
Jan 06, 2013 Nettle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, one of those books that made me think even when I was away from it.

Very much in the same style as the first book, there were some rough parts where I had to put it down and go away to think, but overall I really enjoyed it.
Bradley
Dec 14, 2009 Bradley rated it really liked it
A wonderful yarn that is like a ray of sunshine compared to a lot of books I have been reading lately. The sci-fi was backseat to the interaction of the fascinating characters. Definitely a lively read.
Ramoths Own
Mar 29, 2014 Ramoths Own rated it it was amazing
I adored this book and loved watching as the young innocent brainship Nancia came into her own. I thought that the nasty "high families brats" were well written and interesting. I loved the way that the whole story pulled together right down to Nancia getting the brawn that she deserved.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
McCaffrey, Anne
there has always been a distance between the brains and brawns in the brainship series but this story negates it as it is the love story of a brainship series
Katiarai
May 15, 2013 Katiarai rated it liked it
While not the best of this series, you have to love classic Anne McCaffrey sci-fi. Most of the relationships felt a bit rushed so it was hard to be invested in them, but over all I enjoyed the set up.
Dymphie
Oct 25, 2013 Dymphie rated it liked it
Nancia. Beetje zwaar leunend op 'high families' en hun invloed, corruptie ed.
Aardig, haalt niet het nivo van het eerste deel en in mijn herinnering was het derde deel (waar ik nu aan ga beginnen) ook beter.
(herlezen)
Angelique Minnaar
I really enjoyed Partnership. Read it in one day, as I couldn't put it down.
Kim
Sep 11, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
see Ship Who Sang...
Sharon
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
A brain ship is charged with delivering a group of graduates to their various planetary assignments. Most of the kids have nefarious plans for personal gain, which the ship must then thwart.
Amelia Myers
Apr 21, 2013 Amelia Myers rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written. I think I'm actually a bigger fan of Anne McCaffrey with Margaret Ball than I am of just Anne McCaffrey.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The People of Pern
  • The Heritage of Hastur (Darkover, #18)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Brainship (9 books)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged