Start by marking “Hot-head” as Want to Read:
Hot-head

Hot-head

Published May 7th 1992 by Grafton (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Hot-head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot-head

Glen Engel-Cox
Nov 30, 2014 Glen Engel-Cox rated it liked it
Simon sent me this, his first novel, over six months ago. My taking so long to get to is should be no reflection on the work, which is quite good, but just my general slowdown. Hot Head is post-cyberpunk fiction, like Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash. Both novels deal in themes raised by William Gibson, et al., but in here Simon takes the mileu and stretches it out onto a third world political canvas while Stephenson poked at it with the satire stick. The novel sputters a bit in the front as Simon i ...more
Psychophant
It is a pity I did not read this book back in 1992, it would have blown my mind.

It has aged relatively well, however, with several predictions that have scored quite well, from the weather change to the impact of muslim refugees in Europe, but of course it is impossible to hit everything. It mixes near future prediction with a post-cyberpunk vibe and a part of real space/real science thrown in. So action is mostly limited to our star system, and the mind of our heroine, who is the best part of t
Jani
Aug 09, 2014 Jani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon Ings' novel is somewhere in the sphere of cyberpunk. Fortunately, it manages to avoid at least one the main problems I've had with the genre, completely flat characters. The protagonist Malise is an interesting if damaged character that seems more than I writer's tool for displaying the nihilism of the world around her. This fact helps keep the reader interested in the route from the description of the childhood in a different world with an inner realism to the embodied 2001 Space Odyssey ...more
Michael
Aug 07, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a crazily fast paced books with the setting, side characters and ethos of the thing changing every ten pages or so. As such, it was inevitable that after such an extravaganza of literature, it wouls have something of a lacklustre ending. As such, one star lost, but still a very enjoyable read.
Andries
Apr 23, 2014 Andries rated it it was amazing
Raw and brilliant. Ings is one of the few writers in cyberpunk who does not stand in Gibson's shadow. His plotting is not as elegant - the first half of the book is all over the place - but when he gets going he takes you into a gnarly and glittering world all of his own. There is a kind of meticulous nastiness in the world he describes, but he conveys it with a dispassionate and detached precision that chills the heat just enough to make it work. His account of the visit to the decayed and rava ...more
Silverpiper
May 27, 2015 Silverpiper rated it really liked it
One of the most interesting sci fi books I've ever read.
Adam
Aug 10, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it
An elegant, bizarre, and very post-modern and literate book. Using tarot, cyberpunk, character study, metafiction, hard science, hints of horror in a surreal fractured narrative. A beautiful trick ending justifies the structures and games. This book reminded me a little of Jeff Noon but more coherent and urgent as I made it all the way through. Needs a re-read at some point. An added bonus is the title kept putting the Captain Beefheart song in my head, which is a good thing.
Paul Grimsley
May 21, 2008 Paul Grimsley rated it really liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk
This is from one of the writers from the later group of people associated with cyberpunk and it approaches it from a slightly different angle. Whereas a lot of the writers in this genre basically use the tropes of cyberpunk as a backdrop to the usual science fiction tale here it seems more integral. It looks at how the technology affects the humanity of those who embrace it and does so in a real and affecting way.
Sarah Mcilwaine
I am disappointed. I tried to read it to completion, but it was so difficult to follow that I kept thinking about other things while superficially scanning the lines. I give this book 2 stars simply because I thought the idea was good. That idea being only the bizarre brain computer things. Unfortunately, a book needs to have far more interesting aspects to it for me to actually finish it.
Miodrag Mitic
Jul 11, 2009 Miodrag Mitic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Refreshing take on cyberpunk themes and an excellent first novel. I enjoyed the effort made to depict the near future (e.g. post AI and climate change) and the main character in much more intimate tones than most books in the genre. The book easily lends itself to visual imagination and at least in my head it turned into a great movie.
Nic
Apr 10, 2014 Nic rated it it was amazing
"A bit opaque to get into, but ultimately satisfying. Greater depth than first appears. Very impressive that a first-time, male author has chosen to use female leads almost exclusively. Another to reread at some point."
Lee Tempest
Hm. Despite all the Hype, I am disappointed. This novel is just sexual romps with not much direction that skips time. The writing tries to copy William Gibson's Sprawl far too much. Not much plot either.
Hannah
I decided that if I kept reading this book I would spark a spiraling descent into my own depression, so I make the wise choice to stop reading. My friends and family applaud my decision.
Eija
En jaksanut lukea kun puoleenväliin. Kun ei muutu paremmaksi siihen mennessä, niin antaa olla. Sekoileva juoni. Virtuaalitodellisuutta.
SabinRFigaro
SabinRFigaro rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
Reece
Reece rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Ty-real
Ty-real rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Manatees Owlie
Manatees Owlie marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Chris Donnelly
Chris Donnelly marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
meandermind
meandermind rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Tuomas Eirola
Tuomas Eirola rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Thomas Sweterlitsch
Thomas Sweterlitsch rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Brad Mac
Brad Mac rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Anshuman Mishra
Anshuman Mishra marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Matthew Taylor
Matthew Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Bhairavi Mehra
Bhairavi Mehra marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
  • Redrobe
  • Pollen
  • Terminal Café
  • Adam Robots
  • Blood: A Southern Fantasy (Second Ether, #1)
  • The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica
  • Savage City (Romanitas, #3)
  • Crashcourse
  • The Jonah Kit
  • The Overman Culture
I began by writing science fiction stories, novels and films, before widening my brief to explore perception (The Eye: A Natural History), 20th-century radical politics (The Weight of Numbers), the shipping system (Dead Water) and augmented reality (Wolves). A spot of mid-career ghost-writing once had me being rescued from a tree by Ben (of Ben & Jerry's) in the middle of a hurricane. Back hom ...more
More about Simon Ings...