Start by marking “Beach Day” as Want to Read:
Beach Day

Beach Day

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this charming picture book, a cheerful family tumbles out of the car and onto the beach, ready for a perfect day. Buoyant verse just right for reading aloud and bright, playful illustrations capture the singular feeling of a hazy, lazy day by the ocean, complete with a ball game with new friends, water-skiers and sailboats, and a picnic lunch of fried chicken and devile ...more
Published March 19th 2001 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Beach Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Day

Kathryn
Great rhymes here--simple but evocative of all the fun a day at the beach can bring. I wasn't wild about the illustrations (they seemed to lack any sort of distinctive style) but that's just me.
Round Lake Area Library Youth Services Department
This is a great story about all of the fun things to do at the beach. Like water ski, play in the sand, have a picnic and playing with friends. This book is full of wonderful short rhyming text with loads of colorful pictures that kids can really enjoy. Kids will also be able to enjoy the same activities that the kids in the book did.

This is a great book geared towards toddler and preschool age children.
Megan Dorcas
I really liked this book because I remember countless times as a kid, going to the lake with my family. Those moments are always so much fun, and those memories are the ones people remember for a lifetime. Kids will love this book as well, because most of their parents have taken them on trips just like this beach day trip, so it just opens up a whole new chapter of story telling for the kids.
Lauren
I really enjoyed this book and how it shows what all goes on in a day at the beach. It has wonderful rhyming words and phrases that make the book flow smoothly. The bringer pictures and colors are beautifully done and have a lot which will keep the kids attention
Emma Biays
Beach Day shows all the fun a family can have at the beach, especially the kids. To me though, the story did not have a lot of dimension or plot. It was mildly cute, but did not have a major lesson or anything to really set it apart from another book.
Kaycee Greenwood
This book describes a perfect beach day. From building sand castle to playing in the waves it's always a good time at the beach. This is a very simple book that would be great to read to kid ages 3-6.
Kate
A little long for toddler storytime - I had to abridge this one. There isn't much to count or imitate. Might be better for preschoolers.
Whitney Rachel
great vocabulary.
Mary Ann
This is a perfect summer book for preschoolers. The poetry is gentle, with wonderful rhymes and rhythms. It's short, so not too much.

My 5 year old really liked the illustrations - they are very kid-friendly, with pictures of families and friends playing at the beach. It was full of familiar activities that she could relate to.

Here are a few lines:

Jeweled array,
Water-skiers,
On their way."
Summer Rosswog
Perfect for toddler storytime! (Also, check out Bob Raczka and Judy Stead's "Snowy, Blowy Winter"--a great counterpoint to "Beach Day.")
Kimberly
Easy, beautiful rhymes about a day spent at the beach. My daughter really responded to the illustrations and had fun pointing every little detail out.
Aleece
A story about all the things that you can do at the beach in fun rhyming text with lots of colorful pictures.
Shawna
WCNS
WCNS added it
Jun 16, 2015
Inma
Inma marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Miranda Locklear
Miranda Locklear marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015