Start by marking “A Face at the Window (Home Repair is Homicide, #12)” as Want to Read:
A Face at the Window (Home Repair is Homicide, #12)

A Face at the Window (Home Repair is Homicide #12)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  736 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Back in the day, Jacobia “Jake” Tiptree turned profits managing the fortunes of Manhattan’s most fortunate. Then she fled the rat race for a stately old fixer-upper in easygoing Eastport, Maine. But now a rat from an even darker corner of Jake’s past has turned up…a killer with a blueprint for demolishing her new life.

As a home repair enthusiast, Jake knows that nothing l
Published December 30th 2008 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Face at the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Face at the Window

Estella
I am SO disappointed in the direction this author seems to be going with her cozy mystery series. I became a fan of her quirky, home repair-themed mystery books fairly recently, and read them one after the other because they were fun and captivating. Unfortunately, when I got to this one, I came to a dead stop. I didn't even read it--I skimmed it, and had no desire to go back and read it in detail. Ms Graves seems to be moving into the "thriller" genre. I had noticed a dark trend happening in he ...more
Quillracer
Prior books in Graves’s ‘Home Repair Is Homicide’ mysteries have been written from Jacobia ‘Jake’ Tiptree’s point of view with an occasional chapter from a different character’s perspective. The change to a totally third-person point of view here turned me off because it distanced me from Jake. I no longer felt I was seeing what she was seeing, doing what she was doing. I felt instead as if I was watching everything happen from off to the side.

Graves here, too, cuts Jake off from her support – h
Cindy Barnett
Interesting mystery in the home repair series. No bad language or graphic sex. Narrated well and, unlike some female narrators, clearly by Lindsey Ellison.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
A Home Repair is Homicide mystery featuring Jake Tiptree, Eastport, Maine. Jake's got amazing skills fixing up old homes, replacing any number of parts and demolishing those too broke to do any good. She's unusually vulnerable and naïve in this work, A Face at the Window, choosing to stay in and alone in her isolated, ramshackle home when her mother's killer comes up for parole. The killer's buddies are on the prowl, looking for Jake.

Progressively suspenseful mystery, nice local color and a grea
Library-KAT
I Absolutely HATED this book!

I have read the rest of the series and have purchased it for the library. But I'll tell you, after reading this book, I'll never read nor purchase another one again.

These use to be a "nice" sort of "homey" mystery with a good story line about family, friends, and good neighbors. However, this is a nightmare turned bad.

There was little if any story line, it was all about kidnapping, terror, violence, hatred, maliciousness, just bad stuff and the worse part, it was
George
#12 in the home repair is homicide mystery series set in the coastal town of Eastport, Maine near the Canadian boarder featuring Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree. Jake has chucked her high finance life in New York City for a more relaxed life style in northern Maine in which she is perpetually fixing up the 200 plus year old home she has bought. Jake is faced with a figure from her distant past who has an elaborate plan involving Jake to prevent his prosecution.

This mystery is heavier and more threatenin
Sara
Number Twelve in the Home Repair is Homicide series, gulp, twelve! The writing gets better and better with each book in the series. Jacobia's past once again is threatening to catch up to her. And this time, as fate would have it, she is alone in her large rambling fixer-upper house in Maine. Her son, husband, and father are all out of town, and this means that the man who is after her is able to get a little too close. Of course, the murderer doesnt approach her directly, he has Ellie's toddler ...more
Kayeb
light reading........fun little tidbits about home repair, etc. would read more

As a home repair enthusiast, Jake knows that nothing lasts forever—not windows or doors, not plaster
Nikki
I'm not being totally fair in giving this book only three stars. It certainly held my interest, and the change from Graves' previous practice of telling the story in the first person, which she experimented with in the last book, was refreshing. A Face at the Window was more of a thriller than a whodunnit, another departure for Graves. But...(if you are really allergic to any possibility of a spoiler, stop here!)

I had two problems with the story, one minor and one (for me) major. The minor one w
Sara Barton
I admit it. I didn't want to like this book. For one thing, I've done my share of home renovations and I'm pretty handy with power tools. My first thought was that Ms. Graves was using the home improvement tips as a gimmick. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the main character, Jake Tiptree, actually was adept at repairs. Even more satisfying, she didn't mind admitting she didn't know it all -- she was willing to learn.

The rugged setting of Eastport, Maine was a great backdrop for all the
Nancy
Up until this novel, I have devoured the 'Home Repair is Homicide" series. I loved the quirky characters, the gorgeous Maine setting and the 1st person narrative of Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree, that made me feel as though I were sitting in the kitchen of the constantly need of repair old Federal style house eating some of Bella's yummy treats or roaring down one of the many narrow pine & salt air scented roads in the backseat of Jake's car, trying to figure out the whys and wherefores of the myst ...more
Jammies
While I was aware of exactly what I was getting myself into with this book, I still have a great many objections to the "child in jeopardy" plotline. The lengths the author goes to in imperiling the child in question just to demonstrate the madness and evil of the villain are much too far over the top.

In addition, I am not fond of the switch from first person narration in the first ten books of the series to the third person limited Graves is now using. Ideally, as a series continues, the reade
Susan
Jake Tiptree is babysitting best friend Ellie's young daughter Lee in Eastport, ME when the child is kidnapped, along with Helen, the woman who provides her with day care, under instructions from the man who will soon be on trial for killing Jake's mother decades ago. Obviously, he wants something from her, but what? To make things worse, all of Jake's family and friends seem to be out of town, except for the local policeman, who thinks that the crime is local and doesn't involve Jake. Since it ...more
Mary
I thought it was a good story but didn't like the unfinished sentences and then the beginning of the next paragraph starting with the rest of the unfinished sentence. I had to read some of the lines twice. The plot would have been fine with half of the violence left out. Very engaging though.
Grey853
I've read several of the Home Repair is Homicide series and this is the latest. Most are very enjoyable, easy-to-read cozies with interesting plots. This one was very jarring for several reasons. The most obvious is the switch to the third person point of view. All the other books in the series are first person and it gave us a lot insight into Jake and how she relates to her family and friends. We lost that in this book. Not only is it third person, but it's shifting from chapter to chapter. I ...more
Carrie
I was attracted to this book because 1) it takes place in Maine, 2) it involves and old house, and 3) it is a murder mystery.

Odd #1. What does the title have to do with the story? Ehm, I'm not sure. Odd #2 "A Home Repair is Homicide Mystery". Each chapter starts with a home repair tip. How that ties in to murder is a mystery.
Makes for a disjointed plot. So the main character (Jake, a woman, Odd #3) is supposedly taking care of a 3 year old whilst her parents are on vacation in Italy. The toddler
Jan C
I found this one a page turner.

It was slightly different from her usual. Usually Jake is the narrator. But in a story like this, where the author has multiple story threads going where there is no one witness, she kind of has to use the third person. And, at least, she has stopped with the snide hints like "oh, boy, if only I hadn't done this then such and such wouldn't have happene" and that was beginning to bug me.

It was pretty adventurous although I can understand people objecting to the lit
Denise
I enjoyed A Face in the Window as an audiobook. The reader in this version did a good job of using different voices for the various characters in the story. A very suspenseful read involving Jacobia (Jake), who is left home alone by her friends and family, and who must deal with her niece and the babysitter being kidnapped. The book is set in Maine, which must be a beautiful place, at least according to this book and several others I've read with a Maine location. Even though this was part of a ...more
Alison
I really did enjoy this book. While it really did not have the reader guessing, it kept my interest nonetheless and couldn't wait to find out what happened next. 4 stars, for sure!
Kitty Tomlinson
Jake is stalked by the man who killer her mother many years ago. Good read. Good series.
Angi
voice on audio book makes me so irritated that I can't listen to this book. will read it later.
Roberta
I am disappointed in the direction this series has taken. The cover says that this is a book in the "Home Repair is Homicide Mystery" series but it isn't really. This is exactly the kind of book that happens when an author is expected to produce another book in a popular series but either doesn't want to or can't. So the author writes an entirely different book and then uses a crow bar to force it into the series. So the son goes off to college and the husband goes out to sea, Dad goes on his ho ...more
Sher
Could barely finish the previous; didn't like this one at all.
Ty
Absolutely riveting! The best of the series by far!
Dacia
Marcia
This is not just another story in the series. The passages dealing with Helen's abduction & escape are extraordinary. Also, the thugs who are the minor characters are very well done. Anthony is a sympathetic character even though he follows most of Marky's orders. The characters, even little Lee, are all consistent and believable. The author produced a well thought-out plot and credible character development. A few household repairs also gave the book consistency with the series.
Wanda
Took a long time to figure out exactly why the guy wanted Jake. Didn't really like this one as well as previous books in the series. The two flunkies that kidnapped the girls were really irritating with their bickering. The girl dealing with being left in the woods was interesting. Even though she hated learning all the stuff with her stepfather it came in handy and she was able to use it. Was sorry Ellie and her husband had their vacation interrupted.
Michele
I love this series..and almost gave this book 3 stars instead of 4. It was a little much for me...I mean, this is supposed to be a cozy mystery...but there was beatings and shootings and kidnapping..the main character stepped a little too far out of her parameters for me. I understand taking chances and coming up with fresh plots, but I think this one went too far for the genre and the series. Hoping the next book is more in keeping with the rest of the series.
Christy
This 12th book in A Home Repair Is Homicide Mystery series is a real nail biter! I've been a big fan of Ms. Graves since the beginning with Jacobia "Jake" and her adventures in Eastport, Maine. Although I was anticipating another entertaining mystery, I wasn't quite prepared to be so thoroughly sucked in from the very beginning with this suspenseful thriller. A fast-paced read that has left me eagerly awaiting the 13th episode!

Sue
Oct 28, 2010 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I found it difficult to understand why the main character, with the man who killed her mother sending threatening calls and messages to her, chooses not to have protection for her and the little one she was taking care of. Then she charges off into dangerous situations without letting anyone know - surprise!!! she gets trapped in a car, lured out onto a cliff, etc. For such, usually, smart main character, she really was dumb in this book.
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Riesling Retribution (Wine Country Mysteries #4)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #4)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Short Squeeze: A Mystery
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Series:
* Home Repair is Homicide
More about Sarah Graves...

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1) Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2) Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3) Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6) Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)